Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up S o t d Tuesday 08 September 2009

:bounce::bounce::bounce:Good Morning and Happy Tuesday for everybody:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Jean-François Laporte, Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's

PARFUM D' HABIT

A very beautiful blend of vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: S o t d Tuesday 08 September 2009

I was sorry to read about all your struggles in yesterday's Sotd. Hugs for who need them.
    Just went home sick with a migraine - blegh. Been forever since I had one, and I had *so* hoped I'd outgrown them. I already applied scent (Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge), but I'm regretting that now. Will go shower it off.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 8th September 2009 at 09:10 AM.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Happy Birthday, Sloan and Enorena !
    Welcome, Pippydee !

Poor Veuve and PaiPai....we need new heads, no ?
    Sending love to Brielle, and all under fire this am [ in one way or another] ;-)

Restless, unsettled- no sleep to be found here.
    Off to work in AL Mousse de Chine- because I craved ambergris-laden, deeply warm chypre today.

At the risk of TMI-
    I find it extremely interesting that I'm actually having all sorts of visceral reaction to empty nest.
    And I'm feeling it in all the motherly organs- which is bizarre, as I'm BEYOND that physical part-
    And I'm NOT a 'somatizer' by nature.
    Hmmmm.
    Also joining Les Migraineuses today.

Tant pis, my friends.
    May your Monday deal kindly and gently with you all !
    Last edited by chayaruchama; 8th September 2009 at 09:26 AM.

Acqua di Parma Colonia

Because the great David Niven wore that a quote of his comes to my mind:

Keep the circus going inside you, keep it going, don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end.

I am sorry for those with troubles, and migraines.

I've got a sample of Coeur d'Été today - in preparation for the big bottle Hebe has for me. I'm so excited!

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Aramis JHL (vintage).

Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Pimento
    Middle Notes: Carnation, Cinnamon, Fir, Rose
    Base Notes: Labdanum, Vanilla, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Le Maroc Pour Elle
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Green Irish Tweed

Hope today is a better and brighter day for you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by pippedydee View Post
    I am sorry for those with troubles, and migraines.

I've got a sample of Coeur d'Été today - in preparation for the big bottle Hebe has for me. I'm so excited!
    Welcome pippedydee! So you are the recipient of the Coeur d'Ete bottle... I was with Hebe when she bought it "for a friend". : - ) Enjoy - and do go for the decanting - it is easy and fun once you get going!

I am just in Ajne Fleur de Blanche. No mishmash for me today! Had a sniffathon in Stockholm's finest scent emporia at the weekend (NK, Ahlens, Cow) and feeling a little jaded.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 8th September 2009 at 10:56 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I thought I'd better out myself!

I will have to decant now - the Coeur d'Été doesn't have great sticking power, it's almost gone already. :-( It's definitely a scent that will need reapplying.

Good morning all sounds like yesterday was a bit of a rough day for a lot of you a big hug to those who need one! Today is one of those days when you know you really have a lot on the program,but of some reason nothing happens...Well,will go to university later to meet my studygroup.We have a project going on about Community work at the moment. Felt like something proper for an Autumnday,so I'm in Aromatics Elexir today.Hope you all have a NICE day today!!!

The super femme clean woody floral of Ivoire....one of my HGs and always gorgeous.

to our WONDERFUL SLOAN 8013....and many many fragrant more ones!!

Cuz I'm not ready to give up Summer....

Wuggles (combination hug with a body wiggle) and smooches to the sufferers and a joyous day to all.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Feeling cloudy-eyed and limpy-tailed but Moroccan Mint Tea and the gym will fix my crackers, I'm sure!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

TODAY

Yosh White Flowers
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Happy Birthday to Enorena and Sloan_8013!

I always think of the day after Labor Day as a time of beginnings and with all that is afflicting so many of us I'm hoping it can be the beginning of less trying times for all of us.

I was in the mood for something different today

Rochas Moustache

Edmond Roudnitska was one of the great perfumers of the 20th Century, the short list of perfumes he created are classics but more importantly they all feel entirely original. What is most interesting to me is when I wear one of his creations for the first time, now, it feels thouroughly modern and unlike other scents out there. In 1949 after having created Rochas Femme during World War 2 he ,in collaboration with his wife Therese, created a masculine for Rochas called Moustache. When you look at the note list for any of M. Roudnitska's creations you realize what can be accomplished with a few notes skillfully blended. The note list for Moustache is simple; bergamot, lime, pine, vetiver, moss, rare fruit. The scent that those notes create is complex and wonderful and almost smells nothing like what that note list would lead you to believe. Based on the note list I'd expect a bright citrus scent with a grassy heart leading to a darkly sweet ending. Instead Moustache wears like a citrus, dark floral, leather scent. It makes Moustache feel like alchemy instead of chemistry. The top is a bright citrus mix of lime and bergamot, as advertised. Then, on me, in the heart I get a dark floral accord which feels like a combination of narcissus and jasmine. I'd also swear there is some patchouli floating around but maybe not. The heart does have the mossy character but it mostly feels like a rich suede leather. Once again, not what I would expect based on the note list. Moustache is another example of how a skilled perfumer can take notes that one thinks they know well and combine them in a way to show new facets of them. Moustache has average longevity on me and slightly above average sillage. It seems every time I wear another of M. Roudnitska's creations I keep fumbling for ways to describe the artistry of his perfume, Moustache is no exception to that.

Have a Twirly Tuesday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 8th September 2009 at 12:02 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Welcome pippedydee! :wave:

Happy Birthday, Sloan! Happy Birthday Enorena!

I hope your special day is a happy and fragrant one!

I’m wearing Chanel’s 31 Rue Cambon this morning.

Wishing everyone a good day.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 8th September 2009 at 12:17 PM.

I agree with SMM, this is a perfect time of year to feel a new beginning. I hope that everyone here who has been experiencing hard times gets a nice fresh outlook...sharpened pencils and crisp new notebooks and that bright, exciting feeling that this could be your best year yet...you are going to RULE THE SCHOOL!

I'm continuing my Chanel-fest with 28 La Pausa today.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Plus

(((((Hugs))))) to all in need. Migraines and any other troubles, begone.
    Hi Pip and welcome to Basenotes!
    Birthday greetings to our celebrants!

House twins with SMM :wave: in Rochas, heavenly Femme for me.

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Eau de NY by Bond No.9
    Gary

This morning's deluge of rain brings to mind fall, so I am wearing Cuir de Russie with hope of cool, crisp days and fall leaves.

Concerned hugs to those in need today!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Acqua di Parma Colonia

Because the great David Niven wore that a quote of his comes to my mind:

Keep the circus going inside you, keep it going, don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end.
    DesGrieux, I love this post! That David Niven quote is perfect for today...and somehow, yes, it all works out in the end! Since you've inspired me this morning, I'll join you in the house of Acqua di Parma - wearing Iris Nobile. Happy day!

Ah, migraine, the curse of the perfectionist mind! (that's my own theory, at least)
    I'm wearing Satellite Padpaaradscha, a lovely scent that I wish would last longer on my skin, especially the top notes.
    Top notes: juniper berries and pepper
    Heart notes: chilli pepper and jasmine
    base notes: sandalwood,amber, musk and cedar
    It must be that the terrible heat we've had this year is slowly disappearing, but I feel like wearing more "substantial" scents. I want to wear Idole, Bois des Isles... Fall is near.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Birthday to Enorena and to Sloan8013 ! Have a bright and happy day .

And a BIG welcome to anyone new here !

VM I hate Civet - I bet you smell so good in Fleur Blanche ! You are tempting me to join you later ...
    Right now I'm wearing Jo Malone Tuberose - a lighter Fracas .

Happy Tuesday !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th September 2009 at 02:12 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

A bright, yet, warm & woody, pineapple aldehyde.
    Tropical island drinks and coconuts come to mind.
    I don't want summer to end, either.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Enorea & Sloan 8013!

Lanvin for Men
    Wishlist is pointless.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    May your Monday deal kindly and gently with you all !
    Yes, a lovely Monday (or Tuesday) to you all.

Whether you're "decanting" perfumes or aspirin or birthday champagne -- I wish you comfort and bliss.

Guerlain's With Love
    Pink Pepper, Quince, Mandarin Flower, Wild Rose, Freesia, Wild Lily, Cedar, Sandalwood, Powdery Notes, Blond Amber

I am wearing the glorious Chanel No. 5 parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    ...Because the great David Niven wore that a quote of his comes to my mind: Keep the circus going inside you, keep it going, don't take anything too seriously, it'll all work out in the end.
    I love this, DesGrieux! Great concept and reminder. Thanks!

I'm off to work in one of my favorites, Stephanie de Saint-Aignan's Embruns d'Ambre.

Enjoy the day, all, especially you birthday kids!

Aimez Moi by Caron

I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Happy birthday to Enorena & sloan_8013!

Wearing Badgley Mischka parfum today layered over the body cream.

Basenotes Institution

Oakmoss #2 (Musgo Real) by Claus Porto

There is a fruity, metallic note in this fragrance, that has firmly asserted itself into my consciousness everytime I wear it. I thought it was just me, but then I read the reviews here on BN and odysseum mentioned it too. It's bothering the sh*t out of my nose...and making this fragrance a little hard to wear. I'm going to see how it progresses.

Happy Birthday sloan_8013!

Antaeus (Chanel)

Good Morning, lovely people. I hope everyone is feeling good today.

Today in the delicious and comforting Guerlain Angelique Noire.

Happy Birthday to Enorena and Sloan_8013!
    Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain (love that Jicky lite note from this)
    Wore a bit of Red Vetyver by Montale after work... it had become a permanent sample in my pouch.
    Got a mix of Dzing, Fracas, Bandit on myself as I was making samples...

VM--you do smell fantastic today! Fleur Blanche is so incredibly beautiful.......things that make you go hmmmmmm

Kumquat--isn't Colony so riche? It's chypree enough for me to enjoy in colder weather too, reminding me to take a vacation :-)

I am now testing SL's new Fille en Aiguilles. I'm undecided. It's not as Pine Sol-ly as I expected....it's sweeter and richer....
    Happy birthday to all birthday people!
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Sage Machado Pearl with Carol's Daughters Black Vanilla hair conditioner.

Attempting to keep a hold of summer....
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Dzing today from a sample.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

sotd:
    Histoires de Parfums

Happy Birthday, Enorena and Sloan_8013!

Alahine by Teo Cabanel was perfect this cool autumn day.

Moschino, particularly mossy, peppery carnation on my skin today. <3

Happy Birthday, Enorena and Sloan_8013

I still can't smell today (the agony!) but I have gone with AG Mandragore.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Just received my sampler pack of 5 perfume oils (plus 2 extras & free shipping) from bront82's new Smell Bent company... decisions, decisions.

Oh...

...my computer monitor & I are now wearing a bit of Sunshine perfume oil: "sun-warmed blood oranges over rich sandalwood, vanilla-drenched resins and a golden musk base." Delicious!

Next up, Hungry Hungry Hippies.
    Last edited by tang; 8th September 2009 at 06:39 PM.

SotA/E is Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion. Mysticknot has me interested in tuberose lately. I always liked it, but I'm in the mood to re-explore. My fragrance journey is a spiral. Gardenia Passion is a lovely tuberose dominant (not gardenia) floral. It's a sweet (as in nice), and easy to wear fragrance. I wore it when I was first dating my husband, and he always complimented me on it. It's been in my collection forever and gets taken for granted, but it's nice to wear this again.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 8th September 2009 at 07:43 PM.

Happy birthday to Enorena and Sloan_8013!

Dior Addict 2 on a wild and windy day. YSL Elle for evening.
    NR For Her, Coco Mademoiselle and YSL Elle and OJ Frangipani are my favourites at the moment.

Miller et Bertaux Spiritus all over plus RW - Un Bois Sepia and LW - Gypsy water.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

Happy Tuesday greetings to my dear BNers! Best birthday wishes to all celebrating & big hugs to those who need them...

SotD is Cruel Gardenia

Happy Birthday, Enorena and Sloan_8013!!!!

Welcome, pippedydee!

Going scentless for now; had a scary allergic reaction to a mysterious something on Sunday night, paramedics and all, so am supposed to be avoiding any potential triggers for 48-72 hours. I finally figured out that fragrance could be one of those potential triggers, so I am thinking I should not test the waters again until tomorrow. Take care, all.
    Last edited by Leesee; 8th September 2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    Going scentless for now; had a scary allergic reaction to a mysterious something on Sunday night, paramedics and all, so am supposed to be avoiding any potential triggers for 48-72 hours. I finally figured out that fragrance could be one of those potential triggers, so I am thinking I should not test the waters again until tomorrow. Take care, all.
    Oh poor you, Leesee - that sounds scary! Nothing on a par, but I am currently suffering from a rash all down one side of my neck, which I fear may be scent related. It stings to apply perfume there so I have had to stop for the past four days, and the area currently smells of Eau - or rather Creme! - de Cortisone.

Basenotes Institution

This afternoon I am wearing Fleur Blanche - like VM I Hate Civet this morning .You put the thought in my head ! It's calming and boy, do I need calm right now, someone at the gym seriously annoyed me this afternoon.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th September 2009 at 08:52 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    Oh poor you, Leesee - that sounds scary! Nothing on a par, but I am currently suffering from a rash all down one side of my neck, which I fear may be scent related. It stings to apply perfume there so I have had to stop for the past four days, and the area currently smells of Eau - or rather Creme! - de Cortisone.
    Thanks, VM -- it was scary. Sorry you are experiencing a rash; those are so painful. I hope it goes away soon!

Hermenessence 'Vetiver tonka' today.

(pic. borrowed from my friend's blog - the box is mine, by the way)
    Last edited by bibitry; 8th September 2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: the pic.was WAY too big. Must find out how to reduce
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

Get well soon to everyone with injuries and pain, whether fragrance-related or not.

I started out in Mures et Musc, and finishe in Timbuktu, which I bought this afternoon. Two BNTBTBB atomisers to go, and that will be my Basnotes Meet budget blown.

You got your Timbuktu at last! That's great - I sensed you felt you were missing a limb without it. If a limb can be compared to a big, airy, cool, woody space, which I doubt it can.

Like many others, I keep thinking it is Monday today, got a headache too: feels like inside a slowcooker here -- not really hot, just steaming.

Wearing Bwah dez Eel.

Tang, love the name Hungry Hungry Hippies. Patchouli?

Must me something going around? It's my only day off this week and I have the headache blues too. Tried to go to lunch with DH and couldn't even stand the smell of the food.

Wearing AL Waterlilies to relax.

Leesee! I had a mystery reaction on Thanksgiving last year, scariest thing ever. I'm still betting it was the "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" that did me in and chestnuts will be banned chez Zibeline. Don't even want to see the nasty things.

Unknown allergies are scary! I hope they figure it out for you, Leesee.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Tang, love the name Hungry Hungry Hippies. Patchouli?
    That name cracked me up, too. Very creative. From bront82's description, it's "freshly baked pot brownies dusted with cassia over an earthy dose of finely aged patchouli." Haven't cracked it open yet - the Sunshine is still lingering.
    Last edited by tang; 8th September 2009 at 11:29 PM.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Blog Entries

Happy Birthday Sloan and enorena! Welcome pippedydee!

More hugs today for those in need. I never run out of hugs! And wuggles! I didn't know about wuggles until just now, and I want lots of practice on everybody!

I got a wonderfully generous package from 3xasif in the mail! :wave: Even though it's in the mid-80s today, I couldn't resist trying the Arabian Oud Lara. A very soft, floral scent. Lovely, dreamy, and exotic.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

L'Artisan Mimosa Pour Moi-- and it has lasted over 8 hours and still smells great!

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm joining in offering hugs to all!

I'm wearing Shalimar Eau Légère today. It rained here all day and this lemon-y version of Shalimar was sooo perfect against all the gloominess.

Happy birthday, Sloan8013
    I've trademarked the color bleu