Code of Conduct

Question Detailed instructions on How to decant fragrances from SPRAY bottles into atomizers?

Detailed Steps on How to decant fragrances from SPRAY bottles into atomizers

I have; unsuccessfully, attempted to find a thread that addresses the entire process of decanting fragrances.

I would like to decant spray bottles (my collection of fragrances) into atomizers mainly for travel purposes but most importantly in order to carry an atomizer (in my pocket) so I may freshen/reapply the fragrance throughout the day.

I am a neophyte and need your help with the following:

Can someone provide a detailed outline of the decanting process--From buying the appropriate supplies (vial/atomizer—size, material; funnels, pipettes, etc) to the detailed steps and instructions to decant spray bottles into atomizers.

A few questions:

1) Which material is better: glass or plastic?---is one or the other more prone to leak? If I am carrying the atomizer in my pocket, is plastic a better option?

2) What size atomizers should I purchase so it may comfortably fit in my pocket, but it contains enough fragrance to spray multiple times throughout the day? How about 'purse sprays'?

3) Which fragrance/bottle supplier is the best for people who do NOT order in bulk but do not want to compromise quality (I'll probably buy only two dozen atomizers so price is NOT really an issue –I do not care if I pay extra if I get quality atomizers that do not leak)?
    There are numerous 'fragrance supplies' websites I have come across. Namely; madinaonline.com, pilotvials.com, snowdriftfarm.com accessoriesforfragrances.com, lotioncrafter.com, specialtybottle.com, etc. Which is the best?

4) Do I need a funnel? Plastic or stainless steel? What about pipettes?

Thank you in advance for your help!

>>>If there is another thread that discusses this topic please provide me with the link. Thank you<<<<
    Last edited by scku; 5th September 2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: s

Default Re: Detailed instructions on How to decant fragrances from SPRAY bottles into atomize

For a long time I thought decanting sprays was impossible, and then I got a sample in Sephora and watched the SA just point and spray right in the atomiser. Der. You may want a wee funnel if it has a wide spray. I also have a couple of splash bottles that won't pour, which led me to a pretty easy technique...I have lots of those thin plastic medicine cups from my pediatrician (thinner and more bendable than the ones that come with liquid OTC medicine) and I shake the bottles in to the cups and then pinch to pour into sample vials for decanting. They would be great for handling sprays, too.

Glass is better, I think, if you are seeking long term solutions for preservation. If it's just convenience and portability, I'd go with plastic for a lightweight and unbreakable solution. If you have a Sephora near you, ask them if they'll sell or give you some of their empty sample vials. They hold about 2.5 ml, have a nice spray mechanism, and a well-fitting cap. I use regular little glass vials for decant swapping and I've gotten those as part of a TPC order. I've seen another source recommended here, but I've forgotten it and I've never used it...but it has TONS of options. I'm sure someone will step up with a link!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Default Re: Detailed instructions on How to decant fragrances from SPRAY bottles into atomize

Jen at Lotion Crafter has a lot of vials, sprays & "wee" funnels
    http://www.lotioncrafter.com/
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Check this site http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/ (I believe it's the site YouCanCallMeMo had been refering to). Great selection, great prices, great people. And no, I do not work for them.

As for the process; I use plastic vials (though I think I'll order glass spray vials next time) and just spritz from bottle right into the atomizer. I used to use a funnel but I found out that it's really not necessary.

I decant my fragrances in the bathroom over the sink; just in case I would drop a vial or fail to take an accurate aim.

Good luck!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I've purchased from pilotvials.com and accessoriesforfragrances.com. They're both good.

Like so many things, I think successfully spraying into a small opening is primarily a matter of practice. We all end up with smelly fingertips to some extent.

If the sprayer you're pumping has a broad range of up-and-down action, then you have to concentrate on getting the receiving vessel to track up and down, too.

Blog Entries

Robin at Now Smell This wrote an article on the subject that I think you'll find helpful.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

You will get great info here - more than I can supply - but the key thing is to SPRAY SLOWLY. Plastic/glass - I prefer glass, but it doesn't really matter. Tiny funnels, loads of patience, and be prepared for your house to smell decidedly odd for a while.

I know this isn't particularly constructive, or even helpful, but I do sometimes wish I'd been told these things before I tried it for the first time! :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by potiron View Post
    Check this site http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/ (I believe it's the site YouCanCallMeMo had been refering to). Great selection, great prices, great people. And no, I do not work for them.

As for the process; I use plastic vials (though I think I'll order glass spray vials next time) and just spritz from bottle right into the atomizer. I used to use a funnel but I found out that it's really not necessary.

I decant my fragrances in the bathroom over the sink; just in case I would drop a vial or fail to take an accurate aim.

Good luck!
    Why are you switching from plastic to glass vials? Do you have leakage problems?

I'll certainly review accessoriesforfragrances.com inventory.

Thank you.
    Last edited by scku; 6th September 2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: s

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Robin at Now Smell This wrote an article on the subject that I think you'll find helpful.
    Interesting article.

Glass vials are better for longevity - and by that I mean if you want to keep scents for years, which may not be the case here. I recently did some research on this, as I was concerned that several decants I was sent in swaps were off when I received them. The Perfume Posse recommend glass in their decanting tips, also some of the male members of BN, notably AnthonyDG and LeNez, who had a discussion on this a while back.

But if you are going to use these small sprays in a year or so, I am sure you would be fine with plastic, especially if you keep them cool and in the dark when not in use.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

PS Best site for glass atomizers with silver/gold tops - Accessories for Fragrance.

Best site for silver purse sprays (the ones that look like a metallic lipstick case) - The Perfumers Apprentice.

(If anyone wants to buy the former in bulk, I have just discovered Madina, which has TINY prices!!)

This is such a timely thread, I've been thinking about decanting recently. I bought a few little things from Muji - a nice atomiser (so hard to find one I didn't hate the look of), and a little funnel. But now I'm too nervous to actually do it!

Thanks for this thread, it's all really useful stuff.

Basenotes Institution

I have bought from Accessories for Fragrance - excellent customer service and fast shipping.
    Thanks for the article An Oud Girl - I learn new stuff here daily !
    I have successfully decanted ,without spillage - from spray bottles into smaller atomisers with a neck diameter of about 1 cm by just spraying .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I love Accessories for Fragrance, they're such lovely people. :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

This article addresses how to decant into a vial: http://amentalnote.blogspot.com/2005...into-vial.html
    I think it's a very entertaining read!

For a vacation, I'd use one of these though: http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.co...ted-p-152.html
    They don't leak, they are glass on the inside and a good size for your purpose; nice for a pocket or a purse. You won't need a pipette or a funnel. Just hold the glass part at a 90 degree angle to the perfume bottle and spray into it as slowly as you can, aiming for the side near the middle. If it starts to splash out of the bottle, just stop and screw on the sprayer, pop on the bottom plastic cover and the plastic cap and you are good to go. Attach a label so you know what it is in the future. You can refill it with the same fragrance but trying to clean it out and reuse it for another fragrance isn't something I'd suggest you do.

Completely agree on the not trying to wash out and reuse atomizers, even glass ones. DarkDreams and I can attest to that after I sent her a d***** I had received of Genie des Bois that had once had No 5 in it. Despite vigorous scrubbing, it had been irreversibly Chanelifed!

Outlandish mentions Lotioncrafter. I've ordered these 2.5ml glass atomizers a couple of times:

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/ultramini-mister.html

I've broken a few of them while trying to snap the spray mechanism onto the bottle. I do like glass overall, but I may try small plastic atomizers with different tops next time. Lotioncrafter and Accessories for Fragrance both sell similar 2.5ml plastic atomizers (and other sizes) for similar prices.

I used to rely on a little funnel quite a bit, but now I spray most of the large bottles right into the opening of the atomizer.
    Last edited by tang; 8th September 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scku View Post
    Why are you switching from plastic to glass vials? Do you have leakage problems?

I'll certainly review accessoriesforfragrances.com inventory.

Thank you.
    sorry for the late reply but VM I hate civet has it right: longevity is better in glas vials. Besides - you may call me snobbish if you wish - plastic doesn't seem to really suit something as precious as a good fragrance. That's like filling a Dom Perignon into a tetrapack.