Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Knize Ten: An awful review

I have a few hundreds bucks left in my PayPal account and was going to pull the trigger and buy Knize Ten blind. But decided to read a few reviews. This one was from a fellow on Basenotes and my God, he really hated this scent.

"I sampled Knize Ten for the first time about a month ago. Being a fan of classic fragrances, I looked forward to trying it and I really expected to love Knize Ten. Besides, there seems to be a view amongst some critics and enthusiasts that "If you're a true perfume aficionado, you gotta love Knize Ten". Well, I don't. I hate it. I have to believe all the hoopla is really over the fact that it's such an old scent and that it was out of stock for such a long time, because this is one overrated fragrance. Knize Ten is a perfect lesson that just because something has been around for a long time doesn't necessarily mean it's a classic. Knize Ten smells old and way outdated, plain and simple. It smells like an old, musty can of shoe polish dropped in a cardboard box full of talcum powder and moth balls. I don't smell any leather or smokiness - I smell death. It makes me think of being at a wake, standing next to the open casket and smelling everyone's shoe polish. Perhaps I'll develop a liking for it later in life, but for now Knize Ten is uptight and fussy, and just plain awful."

Is Knize Ten really this bad? I understand about someone dislikes a certain scent, but never like this. My stomach really turned when I read his review.
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 6th September 2009 at 08:55 AM.

Default Re: Knize Ten: An awful review

Well, I don't want to denigrate the person who wrote that review.. but I don't like some of the things mentioned in it. "Knize Ten smells old and way outdated, plain and simple."

What does "old" and "outdated" smell like, exactly? Those aren't helpful adjectives.

I don't quite understand why someone would take the time to massacre a fragrance, but that's just one man's way of seeing it. Fragrances are designed to smell good - to evoke memories or trigger associations.

This person may have received a spoiled sample, but to go so far as to say it smells of "death... standing next to the open casket".. is pretty far-fetched. I'd be leery given the choice of language and adjectives used. It's fine to dislike a fragrance and have an opinion, but why take the time to massacre it for others? Plenty of people *love* Knize Ten - you just have to try it for yourself and let the less radical, more informative reviews guide you a bit more. That's my advice..

Now, please know that I say this in the most affectionate way possible, as I have spent hours pouring over the reviews here and appreciate every one who contributes to the site, but... some Basenotes reviewers have a gift for, let's say... the dramatic. I think on this site we are all educated enough to take in a variety of opinions and at least be able to determine if we would potentially interested in trying a certain fragrance, so when you see a very strongly-worded review like that, just balance it against the others out there and decide for yourself if it is something worth looking into more.

Don't buy anything blind.

I used to love Knize Ten, but after a while, it just became too cloying and too heavy and ambery for me and I traded it away.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Exactly. Order a sample from theperfumedcourt if there is no other way to sample it first, but never buy blind.
    Jan Pieter

That review is the result of buying this blind. Dont.
    -

just because something has been around for a long time doesn't necessarily mean it's a classic.
    I completely agree with this sentiment in particular, but I do like Knize 10

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

To paraphrase one of the reviewer's comments, this is a perfect lesson that just because a person knows how to write doesn't necessarily mean he can write a good review. What exactly was the reviewer's intent in writing this kind of review? To try to accurately convey the notes he smelled? I hardly think so. The closest he came to an actual scent description was shoe polish, cardboard, talcum powder, must, and moth balls. I've worn Knize Ten dozens of times and I can't recall ever smelling any of those notes. No leather or tobacco? When practically all other reviewers report that those notes are dominant in Knize Ten?

This is one of the main reasons why I haven't posted a review yet, even after almost three years in this hobby: it's very hard to write a review that illuminates rather than obscures or confuses.. And bad reviews do more than express the reader's dislike for a fragrance - they poison the viewpoint of everyone who reads them, sometimes irrevocably. So you've never tried Knize Ten. What are the odds now that when you do, you'll immediately conjure an image of a corpse in a casket or smelly shoes in a box with moth balls? Ironically, Knize Ten is NOT a scent for everyone or for all occasions. The notes and accords will seem dated to some, but is that necessarily a bad thing for a fragrance that was introduced in 1924? Come on, folks! Open request to reviewers: please stop trying to be the next Faulkner and keep your descriptions within the realm of physical reason.

The simple answer to your question is for you to buy a sample from Perfumed Court and arrive at your own conclusions before buying a full bottle; that's better advice than some hyperbolic rant.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th September 2009 at 08:18 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    I have a few hundreds bucks left in my PayPal account and was going to pull the trigger and buy Knize Ten blind. But decided to read a few reviews. This one was from a fellow on Basenotes and my God, he really hated this scent.

Is Knize Ten really this bad? I understand about someone dislike a certain scent, but never like this. My stomach really turned when I read his review.
    I am sure I would have similar experiences with some fragrances if I had bought them blind. Most of the classic fragrances have a few reviews from people who loathed them, but it doesn't diminish their quality or their importance. The key is to form your own opinion, preferably based on sampling rather than blind buying.

It would be sad if one bad review prevented you from sampling a very interesting fragrance. I would recommend that you remain open-minded about Knize Ten until you have had a chance to try it.

He might have been a tad dramatic, but I assure you-he wasn't far off base. Knize ten is rather unimpressive, as is Patou ph, korous, and a handful of others that are critically acclaimed on basenotes.

It's not anyone's opinion and about Knize Ten, and, besides, without denying its qualities (since it's one of my favorite scents), I'm also fully aware that the complexity of Knize might even require multiple testings before finally liking and/or buying it.

I don't agree with that review. I got a tester from TPC and I don't smell "dated" or "old" in it at all. I smell class, money and luxury, like the leather upholstery of a new BMW. It's a timeless frag and not at all controversial in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    What exactly was the reviewer's intent in writing this kind of review? To try to accurately convey the notes he smelled? I hardly think so. The closest he came to an actual scent description was shoe polish, cardboard, talcum powder, must, and moth balls.
    I completely agree here, and everytime I see a review like this, I don't even finish reading it. I pass it and just go to the next. I think this is the right thing to do.

I own the fragrance and I have to admit I dont like leathers but its really one of the best leather scents out there hands down
    nontheless, try before you buy
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    ...Knize ten is rather unimpressive, as is Patou ph, korous, and a handful of others that are critically acclaimed on basenotes.
    It would be more helpful to other readers if comments like this are qualified as strictly personal impressions such as "to my nose" or "to me", etc, with caveats that the reader should try the frag and may indeed like it. A less knowledgeable reader may be irrevocably biased against frags reviewed as above. That is not the objective of any good review.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I own the fragrance and I have to admit I dont like leathers but its really one of the best leather scents out there hands down
    nontheless, try before you buy
    Now, how is this for balance? Any decision made reading this review will have been usefully informed and guided, IMO.

It baffles me when a reviewer knows a scent was created in, say, 1924 and then opines that said scent smells "dated". Again, maybe i am the one missing the point
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Banned

I bought it blind some years ago. Of course there were negative reviews, but who cares? You have to be aware that buying blind is a kind of Russian roulette, and you have to like that. You won't lose your life, but maybe a lot of money...

As far as negative reviews are concerned... Get over it. Look: everso, for example, wrote a positive review of Knize Ten - still it's one of those (now banned) members I never liked.

Sur la Plage

Who cares what that person or others thinks about Knize Ten? Try it and decide for yourself!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Free forum, free opinions. You should learn from each comment something - if it will not kill you, it'll strenghten you

Sorry if I offended anyone with my review. That was not my intention. I truly was looking forward to sampling K10 (I did not blind buy a bottle of it), so I sampled it with an open mind expecting to love it, but I absolutely hated it. I'm not criticizing anyone who likes it - I know it's a popular fragrance. If you like it, that's great, enjoy the scent. I'm not discouraging anyone from sampling it. Lord knows there are members who absolutely despise some of my favorites - look at the Kouros reviews! Being enthusiasts, we often have strong opinions about certain scents. My opinion is strong about this one.

Again, if I offended anyone with the review, my apologies.
    Last edited by shamu1; 6th September 2009 at 02:39 PM.

AromiErotici

Not all classics are "classics". There's gems and duds from every era.

I never smelled Knize......and while it may be great, I'm not moved to try it. We really can't help what we like and do not like. Sometimes, a frag I do not care for smells pretty good on another.

We just have to try and decide.

it;s really ok to hate a fragrance...especially when it comes to mighty & potent scents. and just so everyone knows (coz i was shocked when i read it)..."It is the creation of François Coty and Vincent Roubert" - more details here - http://www.peredepierre.com/2008/10/...ten-knize.html

it'll evoke strong reactions. just liek Kouros. Pls do sample it coz it's nothin like cool water.

I represent the pro-Knize Lobby
    Last edited by jenson; 6th September 2009 at 02:43 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    it;s really ok to hate a fragrance...especially when it comes to mighty & potent scents. and just so everyone knows (coz i was shocked when i read it)...Knize Ten was composed along with the Father of perfumery, Francois Coty.

it'll evoke strong reactions. just liek Kouros. Pls do sample it coz it's nothin like cool water.

I represent the pro-Knize Lobby
    Please do not do a forum review on it. It will cause me to look for it.....and my life is convoluted enough the way it is right now.

Mate...just like you, I was buying blind a bottle of Knize Ten. As luck would have it, a fellow basenoter sent me a sample of it.....and thank god......I did not splurge on a bottle....I was so taken in with raving reviews of Knize Ten on the board....you'd see a lot of posts in every thread about Knize Ten, that proclaim that it is the 'best leather scent in the world'....Well maybe it is for them, but certainly not for me....

My advice is that you must must must must must must try this before buying it....DO NOT GET TAKEN IN WITH ANY REVIEWS on ANY FRAGRANCE....Even if a majority of people like a fragrance, it does not guarantee that you will like it too......

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

My opinion is reviews can be only a personal reaction to a fragrance and do a good job. Some of us cannot pick out notes from the mix sometimes created when a fragrance is worn or sprayed on something to test, but can definitely voice opinion if they like it or not. Every review doesn't have to and certainly does not follow a specific script of inclusions. The impression the scent makes on the reviewer, without any specifics such as individual notes that can be identified, might be as helpful to a reader as a more 'scientific' exposition.

I enjoy reading all types of reviews. I find some of the one or two liners just as revealing and interesting as the enjoyable longer, more detailed 'scholarly' opinions.

As for buying Knize 10 blind..I took a chance, did just that after reading and rereading reviews and posts, and fortunately I love it. My reaction could have been just the opposite though and it would have been a rather expensive adventure.
    Last edited by kbe; 6th September 2009 at 02:48 PM.
    Things are things because of Mind--Zen Buddhist saying

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    My opinion is reviews can be only a personal reaction to a fragrance and do a good job. Some of us cannot pick out notes from the mix sometimes created when a fragrance is worn or sprayed on something to test, but can definitely voice opinion if they like it or not. Every review doesn't have to and certainly does not follow a specific script of inclusions. The impression the scent makes on the reviewer, without any specifics such as individual notes that can be identified, might be as helpful to a reader as a more 'scientific' exposition.

I enjoy reading all types of reviews. I find some of the one or two liners just as revealing and interesting as the enjoyable longer, more detailed 'scholarly' opinions.

As for buying Knize 10 blind..I took a chance, did just that after reading and rereading reviews and posts, and fortunately I love it.
    I agree with you.....and from particular reviews, I have and do buy blind. Some I love and some I'm indifferent to. Rarely do I blind buy and hate it. I spend too much time researching opinions for that too usually happen.

But.....the reviews are integral and alot of fun to peruse through.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Lucky .... this is good advice from genvy to which I would like to add, let go of the blind buy rope - unless, of course, you're just rolling in cash. It just isn't worth the inevitable disappointments. Sample, sample, sample until you find yours.

IMO Knize 10 just doesn't cut it. Not the worst leather frag out there but - for me - it's about as smooth as a cobblestone drive. There are much better to be had.
    Last edited by SoGent; 6th September 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    "It is the creation of François Coty and Vincent Roubert"

This was another reason why I was so eager to sample Knize Ten.

Post Re: Knize Ten: An awful review

Personally I have been wearing this fragrance for years, and love it. It did take me a few wearings to learn how best to wear it, as it is a potent brew to be sure. Before you plop down your money on it, sampe first, and deicide for your self. If you get a minute pm me.
    Last edited by Ron199; 6th September 2009 at 04:27 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

To have the freedom to have your own opinion is an awesome responsibility. I don't know of a classic scent anywhere that there is not somebody who also hates the smell of it. I couldn't wait to try Tabac Blonde from Caron when I was in Paris - I hated it! Couldn't understand why everyone was claiming it to be such a classic. It smelled terrible to me. It would be so easy to defer our free will to decide these things for ourselves to reviews and find the universally agreed upon idea of what is a wonderful "leather" or whatever and just buy it. BUT, it doesn't work that way does it? It is still all about whether you like it or not. Fragrances can be classic, but still be absolutely wrong for you.

It is a very subjective experience isn't it?

I recognize Knize Ten is a classic leather that when worn lightly smells of old leather. It is bold and has a point of view that is very definite. But, most of the time I don't like it either!

The reviews are helpful if you can find reviewers who you know have similar opinions to your own subjective opinions and play the percentages that you might like what they say is wonderful. But, you might not - test carefully for yourself!