Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Knize Ten: An awful review

I have a few hundreds bucks left in my PayPal account and was going to pull the trigger and buy Knize Ten blind. But decided to read a few reviews. This one was from a fellow on Basenotes and my God, he really hated this scent.

"I sampled Knize Ten for the first time about a month ago. Being a fan of classic fragrances, I looked forward to trying it and I really expected to love Knize Ten. Besides, there seems to be a view amongst some critics and enthusiasts that "If you're a true perfume aficionado, you gotta love Knize Ten". Well, I don't. I hate it. I have to believe all the hoopla is really over the fact that it's such an old scent and that it was out of stock for such a long time, because this is one overrated fragrance. Knize Ten is a perfect lesson that just because something has been around for a long time doesn't necessarily mean it's a classic. Knize Ten smells old and way outdated, plain and simple. It smells like an old, musty can of shoe polish dropped in a cardboard box full of talcum powder and moth balls. I don't smell any leather or smokiness - I smell death. It makes me think of being at a wake, standing next to the open casket and smelling everyone's shoe polish. Perhaps I'll develop a liking for it later in life, but for now Knize Ten is uptight and fussy, and just plain awful."

Is Knize Ten really this bad? I understand about someone dislikes a certain scent, but never like this. My stomach really turned when I read his review.
    Last edited by LuckyLuke; 6th September 2009 at 07:55 AM.

Default Re: Knize Ten: An awful review

Well, I don't want to denigrate the person who wrote that review.. but I don't like some of the things mentioned in it. "Knize Ten smells old and way outdated, plain and simple."

What does "old" and "outdated" smell like, exactly? Those aren't helpful adjectives.

I don't quite understand why someone would take the time to massacre a fragrance, but that's just one man's way of seeing it. Fragrances are designed to smell good - to evoke memories or trigger associations.

This person may have received a spoiled sample, but to go so far as to say it smells of "death... standing next to the open casket".. is pretty far-fetched. I'd be leery given the choice of language and adjectives used. It's fine to dislike a fragrance and have an opinion, but why take the time to massacre it for others? Plenty of people *love* Knize Ten - you just have to try it for yourself and let the less radical, more informative reviews guide you a bit more. That's my advice..

Now, please know that I say this in the most affectionate way possible, as I have spent hours pouring over the reviews here and appreciate every one who contributes to the site, but... some Basenotes reviewers have a gift for, let's say... the dramatic. I think on this site we are all educated enough to take in a variety of opinions and at least be able to determine if we would potentially interested in trying a certain fragrance, so when you see a very strongly-worded review like that, just balance it against the others out there and decide for yourself if it is something worth looking into more.

Don't buy anything blind.

I used to love Knize Ten, but after a while, it just became too cloying and too heavy and ambery for me and I traded it away.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Exactly. Order a sample from theperfumedcourt if there is no other way to sample it first, but never buy blind.
    Jan Pieter

That review is the result of buying this blind. Dont.
    -

just because something has been around for a long time doesn't necessarily mean it's a classic.
    I completely agree with this sentiment in particular, but I do like Knize 10

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

To paraphrase one of the reviewer's comments, this is a perfect lesson that just because a person knows how to write doesn't necessarily mean he can write a good review. What exactly was the reviewer's intent in writing this kind of review? To try to accurately convey the notes he smelled? I hardly think so. The closest he came to an actual scent description was shoe polish, cardboard, talcum powder, must, and moth balls. I've worn Knize Ten dozens of times and I can't recall ever smelling any of those notes. No leather or tobacco? When practically all other reviewers report that those notes are dominant in Knize Ten?

This is one of the main reasons why I haven't posted a review yet, even after almost three years in this hobby: it's very hard to write a review that illuminates rather than obscures or confuses.. And bad reviews do more than express the reader's dislike for a fragrance - they poison the viewpoint of everyone who reads them, sometimes irrevocably. So you've never tried Knize Ten. What are the odds now that when you do, you'll immediately conjure an image of a corpse in a casket or smelly shoes in a box with moth balls? Ironically, Knize Ten is NOT a scent for everyone or for all occasions. The notes and accords will seem dated to some, but is that necessarily a bad thing for a fragrance that was introduced in 1924? Come on, folks! Open request to reviewers: please stop trying to be the next Faulkner and keep your descriptions within the realm of physical reason.

The simple answer to your question is for you to buy a sample from Perfumed Court and arrive at your own conclusions before buying a full bottle; that's better advice than some hyperbolic rant.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th September 2009 at 07:18 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    I have a few hundreds bucks left in my PayPal account and was going to pull the trigger and buy Knize Ten blind. But decided to read a few reviews. This one was from a fellow on Basenotes and my God, he really hated this scent.

Is Knize Ten really this bad? I understand about someone dislike a certain scent, but never like this. My stomach really turned when I read his review.
    I am sure I would have similar experiences with some fragrances if I had bought them blind. Most of the classic fragrances have a few reviews from people who loathed them, but it doesn't diminish their quality or their importance. The key is to form your own opinion, preferably based on sampling rather than blind buying.

It would be sad if one bad review prevented you from sampling a very interesting fragrance. I would recommend that you remain open-minded about Knize Ten until you have had a chance to try it.

He might have been a tad dramatic, but I assure you-he wasn't far off base. Knize ten is rather unimpressive, as is Patou ph, korous, and a handful of others that are critically acclaimed on basenotes.

It's not anyone's opinion and about Knize Ten, and, besides, without denying its qualities (since it's one of my favorite scents), I'm also fully aware that the complexity of Knize might even require multiple testings before finally liking and/or buying it.

I don't agree with that review. I got a tester from TPC and I don't smell "dated" or "old" in it at all. I smell class, money and luxury, like the leather upholstery of a new BMW. It's a timeless frag and not at all controversial in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    What exactly was the reviewer's intent in writing this kind of review? To try to accurately convey the notes he smelled? I hardly think so. The closest he came to an actual scent description was shoe polish, cardboard, talcum powder, must, and moth balls.
    I completely agree here, and everytime I see a review like this, I don't even finish reading it. I pass it and just go to the next. I think this is the right thing to do.

I own the fragrance and I have to admit I dont like leathers but its really one of the best leather scents out there hands down
    nontheless, try before you buy
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    ...Knize ten is rather unimpressive, as is Patou ph, korous, and a handful of others that are critically acclaimed on basenotes.
    It would be more helpful to other readers if comments like this are qualified as strictly personal impressions such as "to my nose" or "to me", etc, with caveats that the reader should try the frag and may indeed like it. A less knowledgeable reader may be irrevocably biased against frags reviewed as above. That is not the objective of any good review.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I own the fragrance and I have to admit I dont like leathers but its really one of the best leather scents out there hands down
    nontheless, try before you buy
    Now, how is this for balance? Any decision made reading this review will have been usefully informed and guided, IMO.

It baffles me when a reviewer knows a scent was created in, say, 1924 and then opines that said scent smells "dated". Again, maybe i am the one missing the point
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I bought it blind some years ago. Of course there were negative reviews, but who cares? You have to be aware that buying blind is a kind of Russian roulette, and you have to like that. You won't lose your life, but maybe a lot of money...

As far as negative reviews are concerned... Get over it. Look: everso, for example, wrote a positive review of Knize Ten - still it's one of those (now banned) members I never liked.

Sur la Plage

Who cares what that person or others thinks about Knize Ten? Try it and decide for yourself!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Free forum, free opinions. You should learn from each comment something - if it will not kill you, it'll strenghten you

Sorry if I offended anyone with my review. That was not my intention. I truly was looking forward to sampling K10 (I did not blind buy a bottle of it), so I sampled it with an open mind expecting to love it, but I absolutely hated it. I'm not criticizing anyone who likes it - I know it's a popular fragrance. If you like it, that's great, enjoy the scent. I'm not discouraging anyone from sampling it. Lord knows there are members who absolutely despise some of my favorites - look at the Kouros reviews! Being enthusiasts, we often have strong opinions about certain scents. My opinion is strong about this one.

Again, if I offended anyone with the review, my apologies.
    Last edited by shamu1; 6th September 2009 at 01:39 PM.

AromiErotici

Not all classics are "classics". There's gems and duds from every era.

I never smelled Knize......and while it may be great, I'm not moved to try it. We really can't help what we like and do not like. Sometimes, a frag I do not care for smells pretty good on another.

We just have to try and decide.

it;s really ok to hate a fragrance...especially when it comes to mighty & potent scents. and just so everyone knows (coz i was shocked when i read it)..."It is the creation of François Coty and Vincent Roubert" - more details here - http://www.peredepierre.com/2008/10/...ten-knize.html

it'll evoke strong reactions. just liek Kouros. Pls do sample it coz it's nothin like cool water.

I represent the pro-Knize Lobby
    Last edited by jenson; 6th September 2009 at 01:43 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    it;s really ok to hate a fragrance...especially when it comes to mighty & potent scents. and just so everyone knows (coz i was shocked when i read it)...Knize Ten was composed along with the Father of perfumery, Francois Coty.

it'll evoke strong reactions. just liek Kouros. Pls do sample it coz it's nothin like cool water.

I represent the pro-Knize Lobby
    Please do not do a forum review on it. It will cause me to look for it.....and my life is convoluted enough the way it is right now.

Mate...just like you, I was buying blind a bottle of Knize Ten. As luck would have it, a fellow basenoter sent me a sample of it.....and thank god......I did not splurge on a bottle....I was so taken in with raving reviews of Knize Ten on the board....you'd see a lot of posts in every thread about Knize Ten, that proclaim that it is the 'best leather scent in the world'....Well maybe it is for them, but certainly not for me....

My advice is that you must must must must must must try this before buying it....DO NOT GET TAKEN IN WITH ANY REVIEWS on ANY FRAGRANCE....Even if a majority of people like a fragrance, it does not guarantee that you will like it too......

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

My opinion is reviews can be only a personal reaction to a fragrance and do a good job. Some of us cannot pick out notes from the mix sometimes created when a fragrance is worn or sprayed on something to test, but can definitely voice opinion if they like it or not. Every review doesn't have to and certainly does not follow a specific script of inclusions. The impression the scent makes on the reviewer, without any specifics such as individual notes that can be identified, might be as helpful to a reader as a more 'scientific' exposition.

I enjoy reading all types of reviews. I find some of the one or two liners just as revealing and interesting as the enjoyable longer, more detailed 'scholarly' opinions.

As for buying Knize 10 blind..I took a chance, did just that after reading and rereading reviews and posts, and fortunately I love it. My reaction could have been just the opposite though and it would have been a rather expensive adventure.
    Last edited by kbe; 6th September 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    My opinion is reviews can be only a personal reaction to a fragrance and do a good job. Some of us cannot pick out notes from the mix sometimes created when a fragrance is worn or sprayed on something to test, but can definitely voice opinion if they like it or not. Every review doesn't have to and certainly does not follow a specific script of inclusions. The impression the scent makes on the reviewer, without any specifics such as individual notes that can be identified, might be as helpful to a reader as a more 'scientific' exposition.

I enjoy reading all types of reviews. I find some of the one or two liners just as revealing and interesting as the enjoyable longer, more detailed 'scholarly' opinions.

As for buying Knize 10 blind..I took a chance, did just that after reading and rereading reviews and posts, and fortunately I love it.
    I agree with you.....and from particular reviews, I have and do buy blind. Some I love and some I'm indifferent to. Rarely do I blind buy and hate it. I spend too much time researching opinions for that too usually happen.

But.....the reviews are integral and alot of fun to peruse through.

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    Lucky .... this is good advice from genvy to which I would like to add, let go of the blind buy rope - unless, of course, you're just rolling in cash. It just isn't worth the inevitable disappointments. Sample, sample, sample until you find yours.

IMO Knize 10 just doesn't cut it. Not the worst leather frag out there but - for me - it's about as smooth as a cobblestone drive. There are much better to be had.
    Last edited by SoGent; 6th September 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    "It is the creation of François Coty and Vincent Roubert"

This was another reason why I was so eager to sample Knize Ten.

Post Re: Knize Ten: An awful review

Personally I have been wearing this fragrance for years, and love it. It did take me a few wearings to learn how best to wear it, as it is a potent brew to be sure. Before you plop down your money on it, sampe first, and deicide for your self. If you get a minute pm me.
    Last edited by Ron199; 6th September 2009 at 03:27 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

To have the freedom to have your own opinion is an awesome responsibility. I don't know of a classic scent anywhere that there is not somebody who also hates the smell of it. I couldn't wait to try Tabac Blonde from Caron when I was in Paris - I hated it! Couldn't understand why everyone was claiming it to be such a classic. It smelled terrible to me. It would be so easy to defer our free will to decide these things for ourselves to reviews and find the universally agreed upon idea of what is a wonderful "leather" or whatever and just buy it. BUT, it doesn't work that way does it? It is still all about whether you like it or not. Fragrances can be classic, but still be absolutely wrong for you.

It is a very subjective experience isn't it?

I recognize Knize Ten is a classic leather that when worn lightly smells of old leather. It is bold and has a point of view that is very definite. But, most of the time I don't like it either!

The reviews are helpful if you can find reviewers who you know have similar opinions to your own subjective opinions and play the percentages that you might like what they say is wonderful. But, you might not - test carefully for yourself!

[QUOTE=Buzzlepuff;1610359] I don't know of a classic scent anywhere that there is not somebody who also hates the smell of it. QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. My own personal tastes in perfume tend to lean heavily in favor of the classics. Which is why I was so surprised I despised K10 so much!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    It would be more helpful to other readers if comments like this are qualified as strictly personal impressions such as "to my nose" or "to me", etc, with caveats that the reader should try the frag and may indeed like it. A less knowledgeable reader may be irrevocably biased against frags reviewed as above. That is not the objective of any good review.
    Bingo.

Perhaps I'm just a stickler for detail, but I see a huge difference between someone saying they hate a fragrance versus someone claiming that a fragrance is bad. One is a personal opinion, which I wholeheartedly respect. By contrast, the other implies that the fragrance is flawed, inferior, or somehow unworthy of respect. What irks me is that I so often see reviews and posts where the author intentionally or unintenionally confuses the two: "I don't like this fragrance, therefore it must be bad."

Sorry to use your review as an example, Shamu1. I guess I went on a bit of a rant myself. No apologies necessary.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Here's what tickles me about your comment: I have to qualify my comments as being impressions or opinions, but your opinion that me doing so would be more helpful...that isn't qualified as being an opinion? Hmm...

Furthermore, personal impressions don't need to be qualified as such because it is clear to most (if not all) readers the nature of the comment.

Open request to reviewers: please stop trying to be the next Faulkner and keep your descriptions within the realm of physical reason.
    Although I do agree that this particular review is over the top, I think there are certain intangible/emotional reactions we can have to fragrance that have their place in reviews, as long as they don't dominate.

"Reminds me of..." and "Conjures images of..." type of statements can be helpful, IMO, and give the less experienced reviewer an outlet when they can't ID all the notes present. But again, just be levelheaded about it.

PS: I still want to try Knize 10!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 6th September 2009 at 04:32 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It's the idea of fragrance that certain people have. It has to be fresh, or at least "aqua" as the latest trend had to be. Why?
    I don't know.
    I love Knize Ten and Knize Ten Golden Edition is even better IMHO. It's manly and bold, it's quite simple. A classic for sure and most important a valid one. If you don't understand or can't relate, you have all the time in the world to do exactly that.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Sorry if I offended anyone with my review. That was not my intention. I truly was looking forward to sampling K10 (I did not blind buy a bottle of it), so I sampled it with an open mind expecting to love it, but I absolutely hated it. I'm not criticizing anyone who likes it - I know it's a popular fragrance. If you like it, that's great, enjoy the scent. I'm not discouraging anyone from sampling it. Lord knows there are members who absolutely despise some of my favorites - look at the Kouros reviews! Being enthusiasts, we often have strong opinions about certain scents. My opinion is strong about this one.

*just applied knize 10 to my hand*
    I went into sampling knize 10 with an open mind as well. Really, that's the mentality I go into sampling any fragrance. And honestly, I was rather disappointed. I have had several disappointments throughout this journey of fragrance sampling. It is still an enjoyable journey though. I didn't go to a Nieman Marcus or Barneys to get my nose on most of the fragrances I've sampled. I paid money for them. I paid for my sample of knize 10. And after the numerous mentions in numerous threads of this fragrance, the anticipation to recieve and sample this was rather high. When I got it, I thought to myself...how is this special??? Same with Patou ph...same with habit rouge...same with Yatagan, Korous, etc. I just didn't get it. In fact-I have an undesired bottle of English Leather that my aunt gave me a few Christmases ago that's been growing dust in the kitchen, and I don't find knize 10 to be much different or better than that one. Hell- if any of these leather heads want to take it off my hands, they can private message me.

But yeah...it's dissapointing to not be enthused by a fragrance that you had such high expectations for. I've become desensitized and skeptical to/of the critical acclaim that many of these fragrances get, due do past disappointments. There are still several frags on my test list that I'd like to get my nose on. And some fragrances, imo, have earned the critical acclaim...Gucci Envy, Caron The Third Man, Dior Homme (I go back and forth on this one), but imo, many haven't. I wonder if I'll like Encre Noir...

I had no idea death smelled so amazing!
    I almost bought blind, well a large decant anyway, based on reviews here. Luckily the seller opted to send me a small sample first. It is a fragrance where you can tell what decade it was created. But death? Shoe polish? It's not for me (maybe in 20 years) but it's not bad. It's quite good in fact and I enjoy smelling it but only when I'm lounging around the house trying samples to break up the boredom.

AromiErotici

Some of my favorites are unpopular here like Tristano, Bijan for Men, Ricci Club Haute, etc.....

None of us can take credit or blame for what we like. It is what it is.

Hello from a new member. Pardon my blunt intrusion, but I must observe that some BN members are so .....sensitive..... about words written by other members. Shamu, it was a stand-up thing for you to apologize that someone might have been "offended" by your review of K10, but IMHO that apology was completely unnecessary. Your review made no personal attacks on anyone, yet others in this thread attacked you as if you had proclaimed that their mothers wear tacky clothes. Please, folks, lighten up. We are not talking about thermonuclear war here, we are talking about fragrances. Perfumes. Colognes. Fragrances. Period. Someone's choice of description may be perfectly natural to them, even if it seems excessive to you, or to me for that matter. One or two criticisms were leveled, on the ground that the K10 review wasn't informative or helpful in its use of descriptives such as the casket comparison. But I ask you: how is that any less descriptive, or less helpful than hundreds of other reviews I have perused on this site that conjure up images of awakening on a sunwashed beach, with the waves gently lapping outside your window, or walking through the Moroccan desert at 6:32 in the evening, in a hand-tailored Italian suit, just after sipping a cup of spicy hot tea and recalling a girl named Josee from Marseilles?!?? (I made those up, but to illustrate my point.). Everyone's opinions/impressions are their own and for nearly every one of the fragrances reviewed on BN, there are strong favorable and equally strong unfavorable reviews which have been written. Many, many of the reviews contain vivid imagery which I, personally, never read in a literal sense but rather view as embellishment to make the reading a little more entertaining. I would be bored to tears if every single review only "dissected" the fragrance in a scientific, sterile sort of way. I am entertained as I read, which encourages me to read more. To me, the vivid images often make me smile. In that sense, I see value in some of the spirited prose used by many members here. If such entertaining imagery were to disappear, it would be a loss. In my humble opinion, of course. And shame on the reader who would allow such humor-laced imagery to sway them either to, or away from a particular perfume. As said by several on this thread, try before you buy.
    "The way we perceive aromas, like so many other aspects of our lives, is a reflection of our individual life experiences. A certain fragrance may resurrect a sweet, faint memory of my mother's rose garden, while that same fragrance for you might recall the cheap cologne worn in excess by a particularly ill-tempered math professor. Different experience, different perception. You say potato, I say potaahto...."

Open request to reviewers: please stop trying to be the next Faulkner and keep your descriptions within the realm of physical reason.
    Aw, bah humbug.
    In most cases, there are several reviews on a fragrance page to choose from, and if they take different approaches -even unorthodox ones like in the above example- all the better. I don't always wish to read an enumeration of notes. I don't always have the patience for colourful imagery (whether positive or negative) either.
    I get a great chuckle out of some of Trebor's more ruthless putdowns, but I still enjoy Asha's analytic skills and yet other's lurid fantasies, too. Live & let live.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I don't think we should be criticizing other people's reviews here. As for Shamu1 review - not sure what the problem is here as the review is perfectly fine IMO and captures well one facet of Knize 10 which is the turpentine/petroleum-like accord and powdery florals which other reviewers mention as well.
    For me it is much more interesting to read reviews containing vivid images rather than those "opens with a blast of fresh citrus..supported by gentle florals..blah blah..the heart reveals gentle rose blah blah.." I mean I can look at the list of notes/pyramid if I want to know what's in it.

Knize Ten is rather good. Go for it! If you like leather, it is a must try. Some people have a predisposition to like or dislike something based on incomplete information. The reviewer you listed heard it was an old fragrance, and after that he never gave it a fair look. Just wrote it off old and deathly...

I don't believe you have anything to apologise for. Your review was at odds with my own view of Knize Ten, but I still found it entertaining and informative.I would be disappointed if anyone felt unable to express their views for fear of reproach

KT is way beyond what most guys born in the 1980s or later are used to, and I find it harsh and simply unpleasant, but I now know that there are a lot of people who like frags like KT or Bandit. You have to figure out what your preferences are, and then the reviews will make sense and you might be able to use them if you are going to blind buy.

I enjoy several leather or suede frags, such as FUBU Plush for men, Canali Black Diamond, Everlast Original 1910, and Obsession Night for men. And I also like some oud ones. For me, it's not about notes but about composition and balance, and you can't learn that quickly. It takes time to establish a "comfort zone." So, buying a bunch of samples isn't a bad idea, but if they are going to cost $3 for half a ml, I can't argue against my approach, which was to buy a bunch of "cheapos" that got good BN reviews and that represent different kinds of frag styles. Over time, I figured out which ones I liked and swapped or sold off the others. The point is that if you are "newbie" you can also do some blind buying, but do it wisely and don't spend too much (unless you've got so much money that it doesn't matter, of course).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 6th September 2009 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TropiRock View Post
    Hello from a new member. Pardon my blunt intrusion, but I must observe that some BN members are so .....sensitive..... about words written by other members. Shamu, it was a stand-up thing for you to apologize that someone might have been "offended" by your review of K10, but IMHO that apology was completely unnecessary. Your review made no personal attacks on anyone, yet others in this thread attacked you as if you had proclaimed that their mothers wear tacky clothes. Please, folks, lighten up. We are not talking about thermonuclear war here, we are talking about fragrances. Perfumes. Colognes. Fragrances. Period. Someone's choice of description may be perfectly natural to them, even if it seems excessive to you, or to me for that matter. One or two criticisms were leveled, on the ground that the K10 review wasn't informative or helpful in its use of descriptives such as the casket comparison. But I ask you: how is that any less descriptive, or less helpful than hundreds of other reviews I have perused on this site that conjure up images of awakening on a sunwashed beach, with the waves gently lapping outside your window, or walking through the Moroccan desert at 6:32 in the evening, in a hand-tailored Italian suit, just after sipping a cup of spicy hot tea and recalling a girl named Josee from Marseilles?!?? (I made those up, but to illustrate my point.). Everyone's opinions/impressions are their own and for nearly every one of the fragrances reviewed on BN, there are strong favorable and equally strong unfavorable reviews which have been written. Many, many of the reviews contain vivid imagery which I, personally, never read in a literal sense but rather view as embellishment to make the reading a little more entertaining. I would be bored to tears if every single review only "dissected" the fragrance in a scientific, sterile sort of way. I am entertained as I read, which encourages me to read more. To me, the vivid images often make me smile. In that sense, I see value in some of the spirited prose used by many members here. If such entertaining imagery were to disappear, it would be a loss. In my humble opinion, of course. And shame on the reader who would allow such humor-laced imagery to sway them either to, or away from a particular perfume. As said by several on this thread, try before you buy.
    Good post. Lol@ you mimicking the over-the-top imagery occassionally seen on here.

Quote Originally Posted by phibess View Post
    For me it is much more interesting to read reviews containing vivid images rather than those "opens with a blast of fresh citrus..supported by gentle florals..blah blah..the heart reveals gentle rose blah blah.." I mean I can look at the list of notes/pyramid if I want to know what's in it.
    CTFU

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes. And do post more often. The presence of another member who appreciates unusual reviews is like.... walking through the Moroccan desert at 6:32 in the evening, in a hand-tailored Italian suit, just after sipping a cup of spicy hot tea and recalling a girl named Josee from Marseilles!

(...and then magically being transported to the beach by the aquatic notes, although tripping over the dead kelp of too much calone, but then staring at an amber necklace in the sand! And then somebody yelled "OMG, there's a dead body!")

Since this thread is now also about reviewing, I'll mention that I find ones that compare the frag in question to others to be the most helpful, generally. Also, note pyramids can be deceptive, with some notes being very strong while others are weak, so that is where a review can be very helpful, though I find it very important to read several reviews rather than one or two, because it's clear that sensitivities can vary quite a bit.

What an excellent first post! Welcome, TropiRock! We need more Basenoters like you.

Sorry to use your review as an example, Shamu1. I guess I went on a bit of a rant myself. No apologies necessary.
    No offense taken. This is supposed to be a forum of free expression of opinions, and I realize that if I write an incendiary review, I'm just as subject to criticism from others. It goes both ways, and fair is fair. Besides, I have a pretty thick skin.

P.S. I still hate Knize Ten.

AromiErotici

no offense taken. This is supposed to be a forum of free expression of opinions, and i realize that if i write an incendiary review, i'm just as subject to criticism from others. It goes both ways, and fair is fair. Besides, i have a pretty thick skin.

P.s. I still hate knize ten. :d
    lmao:d

Blog Entries

Come to think of it, I find it helpful that a herd of glowing reviews will have one or more dissenters mixed in. It reminds me that not everybody loves every fragrance. It generally keeps me from making an irrational blind buy. And if the person REALLY dislikes it - useful info. Particularly the notes that might be annoying. It could be me, too.

Probably useful that the OP saw this review, and hesitated on the blind buy. The only way I would buy it blind would be with the thought of reselling a mistake, i.e., if it was an excellent deal, and I could sell a 99% bottle without a loss.

TropiRock: Nice post! I consider myself properly chastized. Yeah, I was a little...too...sensitive. I still believe what I wrote, but I didn't need to proselytize. Erase! Erase! Erase!

LuckyLuke, as penance for derailing your thread from its original (and quite reasonable) question, you've just won yourself a free sample of Knize Ten! PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsugarman View Post
    Knize Ten is rather good. Go for it! If you like leather, it is a must try. Some people have a predisposition to like or dislike something based on incomplete information. The reviewer you listed heard it was an old fragrance, and after that he never gave it a fair look. Just wrote it off old and deathly...
    I was predisposed to LIKE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Come to think of it, I find it helpful that a herd of glowing reviews will have one or more dissenters mixed in. It reminds me that not everybody loves every fragrance. It generally keeps me from making an irrational blind buy. And if the person REALLY dislikes it - useful info. Particularly the notes that might be annoying. It could be me, too.

Probably useful that the OP saw this review, and hesitated on the blind buy. The only way I would buy it blind would be with the thought of reselling a mistake, i.e., if it was an excellent deal, and I could sell a 99% bottle without a loss.
    Yes, this is a very good point as well. Sometimes a review like that can knock some sense into you.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    And if the person REALLY dislikes it - useful info. Particularly the notes that might be annoying. It could be me, too.
    That's what happened with me and Guerlain Vetiver. Glowing reviews all round. One spritz on my wrist and all I could smell was a literal 'crap'. If you have a discerning nose, you can't possibly like them all...

Blog Entries

Yeah, I was a little...too...sensitive. I still believe what I wrote...
    I believe it too, on many points. I think what you said about taking reviewing seriously is totally on the mark. This very thread points out the truth - people read these reviews and take them to heart. It's the same reason I've hesitated to do too many reviews, outside of blogging about my absolute faves. Some folks here just have a knack for writing reviews - be they the more detailed ones, the abstract ones, or the short and pithy ones. Even the hilarious put-downs. Some people sense the structure and specific notes well, others just give their own impression very well. But it's those illuminating reviews, as you say, that are what people need. I'm often afraid that my reviews could be misleading, particularly where I haven't really given the scent enough mental attention. It is a bit of responsibility to make statements about fragrance, and we need to take it seriously, even when we joke. The most important thing is honesty. If you like it, admit it. If you don't, admit that, too. Lately, I find that people are pretty good about doing so. Sacred cows are in pretty short supply, and that's a good thing.

I think that you also had a good point with the term "dated". I find it a useful word myself, but it's loaded, and I try to be careful. In a subjective way, anybody has the right to think a fragrance smells dated. More objectively, I think it's a valid term for a fragrance which has a feel that has drifted outside of contemporary acceptance - as opposed to those "timeless" scents which seem - miraculously - to remain fashionable always. But there are so many classics in between, which may seem dated to one person, and fashionably "old-school" to another. Or which may be "dated" in one situation, and hiply retro in another. In the end, there is often no simple answer, and the fashion sense of a fragrance may, ultimately, only be answerable by an entire BN discussion. The very idea of "is Knize Ten dated?" deserves its own thread, and possibly even the referencing of old posts by its greatest modern fan!

What a nice bunch of folks! And I do mean it in the most sincere way. I think it speaks well that everyone on this thread, no matter their personal point of view or their personal biases about what is or is not proper in a review, is able to softly walk away from the spirited discussion. Still smiling and as friends. I am very new at the technical discussion of perfumery here on Basenotes, so many of the reviews simply dazzle me with their depth and detail. It amazes me that so many of you are very, very good at plucking a solitary note from a symphony, then determining when that note fades and begins to give way to other notes. That is stratospherically beyond my ability (or my olfactory sensitivity!), so I can only marvel at those sophisticated, technical discussions. I am older than most of you (trust me, I am getting older than dirt) and have been wearing colognes for a very long time. Yet with a long history of, shall I say, the quest to simply smell good, I couldn't begin to identify or describe the odor of an iris root, or the smell of a leaf from a fooey fooey tree, or the infamous cardboard box. (Speaking of which, what the heck does a cardboard box smell like, anyway? As I sniffed many boxes in my lifetime, I always found them to be fairly odorless and nondescript. Now I will worry that my nose isn't working properly....).

The above is a long and windy way of trying to explain that sometimes newbies like me can get lost in the maze of highly technical discussion. That is not meant to imply there's no value in those marvelous, well crafted expert reviews. For those bits and pieces that I understand, it is very useful as a guide. But if I find my eyes starting to glaze over in a mountain of minutiae, an occasional humorous review (such as the one written by Shamu) is exhilirating like a blast of caffeine. Funny caffeine.

Shamu, maybe next time you should state how you REALLY feel...

Peace to all.
    "The way we perceive aromas, like so many other aspects of our lives, is a reflection of our individual life experiences. A certain fragrance may resurrect a sweet, faint memory of my mother's rose garden, while that same fragrance for you might recall the cheap cologne worn in excess by a particularly ill-tempered math professor. Different experience, different perception. You say potato, I say potaahto...."

I see a very promising future for you on Basenotes, TropiRock.

Don't put too much stock into one man's opinion. Remember there are people on here who dislike Kouros and A*Men haha.