Code of Conduct

Default SotD Sunday 6 September

Absolutely craving a sweet oriental today, and this 'spice bomb' seemed to fit the bill quite well:

Lorenzo Villoresi ALAMUT

Have a good Sunday!
    Last edited by BrothaG; 6th September 2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Bug
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Default Re: SotD Sunday 6 September

Good morning! I'm in a scent that pretty much has been in my wardrobe the last ten years! (better start getting to the bottom of this one soon,I guess!)Sotd is Allure.Hope you all have a nice day.

Versace pour Homme

Have a wonderful Sunday !

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Aramis - New West Skinscent for Men (vintage).

Top Notes: Calone, Bergamot, Geranium Leaf, Mint
    Middle Notes: Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Lavender, Bay Leaf, Nutmeg, Juniper
    Base Notes: Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Moss, Musk

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Insolence

Have a lovely Sunday, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Today is a Baghari day! I have come to love that fragrance. It goes with anything in any kind of weather.

Dior Homme

Have a wonderful day.

Eau D'Amouage by Amouage from a sample
    fruit and jamy

Wearing Film Noir by Ava Luxe to bed
    Last edited by Coconut; 6th September 2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added SOTE

Still chuckling, having just read AromiEroticis review of Allure Homme!
    Love an honest commentary.

Brooklyn for me today, inspired by ComDiva! She's so right about it being a more interesting feminine/slightly boring masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage*red View Post
    Today is a Baghari day! I have come to love that fragrance. It goes with anything in any kind of weather.
    Baghari is on my must sniff list! Late to the Piguet party

The effervescent and sexy Armani Eclat de Jasmin today

Still groovin' on yesterday's S'nS...besides, it's grey and cloudy and I need me something dashing and romantic...SO-O-O-O-O-O....

That's Eau de 4 Voleurs
    ".....woodsy notes of cedar and clove, and intimates spicy conviviality with bergamot, lemon, clary sage, basil and juniper. Named after a Provençal legend...." from the site.

Gotta dig that spicy conviviality!!
    Last edited by TaoLady; 6th September 2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Specifications...
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Aramis Havana today and I boldly added an extra spritz. Time to show the scent barbarians what a sublime fragrance is all about
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Hi, N_Tesla...was your birthday happy, honey ?

I was a butch broad yesterday, in Yatagan, La Reine de Butch, naturellement. ;-)

Last night, JWM.
    Early am- Miss Dior.
    Post shower, it will be Samsara parfum.

B and I were too traumatized yesterday to do much more than cry, after 10 hours of drive and dropping J off at Princeton..
    No matter WHAT you've heard- no matter how much anticipatory work you've done-
    No matter how well-balanced you are-
    NOTHING prepares you for the loss. Nothing.

Our sense of sorrow was magnified, for me-
    By travelling roads I'd taken so many times with my own mother [ soon my first anniversary of her death], including the one 37 years ago, when she brought me to Boston.
    All week long, the Divine had sprinkled my path with frequent allusions, events, reconnoiters that added to the warp and weft of the loom .
    The incremental effect was pretty devastating.

So far, B and I are being gentle with each other, and very tender.
    We are pretty sad. ..

Off to Ikea, to buy J a teapot and a small area rug.

Love you all ;-)

Hugs to you, Chaya.

Back in Musc Ravageur today, I seem to be addicted.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Still in Chanel nr 5.

Hugs to Miss Chaya, the tenderest thoughts to you and Mr.Chaya. And don't you worry, J. will be back to his mama.

Vintage Jean d'Albret Casaque.

Continuing my Chanel Bender, this morning's shower with the No 5 Bath bar and a healthy spritz of the No 5 Edt for good measure. I needed this lift!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Dia - Amouage

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Kicking back with Bigarade Concentree.

L'Occitane Honey & Lemon. I decided to order the 2007 (non-shimmer) version, and I'm glad I did. It's very pretty, and it has already elicited a compliment (a rare bird in the Midwest). It's gourmand, but unlike most of my gourmands (which feel like fall/winter scents), this one feels like summer.

From L'Occitane:
    TOP: Italian lemon, Cinnamon
    HEART: Honey from Provence, Caramel
    BASE: Vanilla, Patchouli

I'm wearing Yves Rocher's Désir de Nature , a friendly green floral that smells like a sunny summer morning. Mandarin, Crushed Mint Leaves, Headspace Daphne, Lily-of-the-Valley, Cedar.

Thumbs up Re: SotD Sunday 6 September

Parfums de Nicolaï 's COLOGNE SOLOGNE

Very nice cologne for very warm and sunny day, like today !!!!!
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 7th September 2009 at 07:13 AM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Aw, bless you, Chaya. It can't be easy to let go when you've loved them and looked after them for so long. I've been thinking of you, honey. Big hug.

Nice one, Quarry, on your new speaking engagement. Woo hoo!

I'm looking forward to some visitor-free time to get out house back in order after a summer of constant upheaval. I'm also going to be doing a bunch of work with Small to get her up to speed in kindergarten. (Geez, who expected to be playing catchup when she's only just started going?) And as part of my general tidying up campaign, I hope to get to sort through my samples and start testing properly again. Hopefully I'll learn a lot too.

Anyway, my SOTD are both courtesy of the incredibly generous Petruccijc (Thanks so much, Joe!) and tie in to the SnS. I couldn't really join in yesterday, but today I have Opium Pour Homme on my left wrist (butch!!!!) and Arpege Pour Homme on my right (lovely! A really nice light woodsy fragrance that is perfect for women). I am really enjoying this and will keep going with the masculines for a few days more until I have exhausted Joe's generous care package. My hubby has even sniffed at the Opium Pour Homme appreciatively and he's notoriously fragophobic!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Oops, wrong subforum.
    Last edited by zliang; 6th September 2009 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I'm wearing Yves Rocher's Désir de Nature , a friendly green floral that smells like a sunny summer morning. Mandarin, Crushed Mint Leaves, Headspace Daphne, Lily-of-the-Valley, Cedar.
    That sounds pretty! I'm always looking out for a daphne note, and hadn't heard of that one. Have you smelled real daphne flowers, lilybelle? If so, can you smell them in this fragrance?

I'm going for gentle and comforting today with Pacifica's Malibu Lemon Blossom, from a little solid sent by a fragrance friend. Here is the short description from the Pacifica website:
    This fresh scent captures the free spirit of the Pacific Ocean with lemony Litsea Cubeba, flowering Angel's Trumpet, fresh herbs and salty sea breezes.
    I'm liking it a lot! Tempted to order some of the body butter in this fragrance.

Speaking of gentle and comforting, sending hugs to you, Chaya. You sound like an extraordinary mother.
    Last edited by Haunani; 6th September 2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo

Putting my trusty camera through its paces after being away for repair - the camera, that is, not me - and it's as good as new. It never was a great quality one, but just sometimes I get really nice results with it.

DA&GL for my Sotd.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    That sounds pretty! I'm always looking out for a daphne note, and hadn't heard of that one. Have you smelled real daphne flowers, lilybelle? If so, can you smell them in this fragrance?
    I don't think I have smelled daphne (that I've ever been aware of). What does it smell like? I definitely get the mandarin, mint, lily of the valley all up top, and something a bit sweetish like jasmine/narcissus combined, maybe that's the daphne? I'm not good at identifying notes.

I'm wearing Keiko Mecheri Peau de Pêche. Very pleasant and pretty white peach scent. Plus the sandalwood drydown is lovely. Shame that it is hardly detectable - only when I press my nose into the crook of my elbow and inhale deeply, very deeply.

Love the avatar, Lilybelle!
    Today it's Nocturnes by Caron. Smells extra fab today.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

It was Patchouli 24. Then the anti-patchouli SO said "eeeew!" and since I'm spending the day with him, I layered New Haarlem over it. Patchouli and coffee. Kind of works.

Crayfish

Hugs for Mama Bear Chaya -- your children are lucky to have you.

SOTD is Le Temps d'une Fete. Have a great Sunday, all!

One of my favourites for today: Esteban's Colère d'Epices. Just gorgeous. The only thing I don't like is the name, I find it no choleric at all.
    Top notes: cadamom and ginger
    Heart notes: clove, cyclamen and heliotrope
    Base notes: musky base, benzoin and amber

Big hugs to Haunani , Chaya, and Brielle.

Congrats to Quarry, sorry I didn't mention it yesterday!

I'm testing something I've been wanting to try for a while, Alien.

I know this bottle is much maligned, but I think it's great!

I'm going to interject my own lil annoying SA story here because sometimes they are just too much. So for my DH's bday this year I wanted to get him a new cologne. I approached the men's counter in my local Nordstrom and told the young SA as much, to which he muttered under his breath, "This is gonna take forever.." So he made me a few half-filled samples. DH and I decided on the one we liked best, and bought it elsewhere. Well, the SA has since moved to the women's section and I periodically ask for a 'fume samp when I go in to buy my face cream or makeup (depending on how much I spend). The girls are always gracious and fill the vial (1.5 mls, roughly) up to the top. This guy, at this time, when he asked if there was anything else he could get me, and I gave him my request, says in a not very friendly manner, "I thought you looked familiar," and proceeded to give me a half-full vial of Alien. So I left thinking, is it so hard to part with half a ml. of a tester when you just got a decent commission off my face cream? Seriously.
    I feel like I should buy a 'fume from him just to placate him.

Anyways, hope you're all having a good Sunday, sorry for the rant.

O de Lancome

Notes: lemon, mandarin, jasmine, honeysuckle, sandalwood, wild rosemary (from lancome-usa.com)

O de Lancome is immediately refreshing, with a burst of lemon, lime, bergamot, and green notes which have grassy, slightly bitter overtones. The citrus phase of OdL is mercilessly short, and on skin, plays itself out within 20 minutes. During this time, oakmoss, galbanum and orris come to the front, giving a more earthy feel to the composition. The moss and orris are a bit grungy at first, and along with the galbanum, are probably are the main contributors to the bitterness detected earlier. In the heart, there are some faint florals, and to my nose smells a bit like dried rose petals mixed into orris root powder. The late development is dominated by the moss and orris which give a bit of a leathery impression. The deep drydown is mostly a slightly sweet amber musk. OdL is classically beautiful citrus-green chypre which is very light, but wonderfully orchestrated. The bright citrus start is not so long as to be irritating, and is perfect for a quick lift. The mellow heart and base are a soothing counterpoint to the citrus "punch", and brings the pitch down gently into a cloud of diaphanous green powder. Lovely.

Miller Harris Tangerine Vert

Notes: sicilian green tangerines, grapefruit, lemon, marjoram, geranium, orange, cedar, moss, sweet musk (from millerharris.com)

Tangerine Vert starts with orange, tangerine, a mellow herbal accord, and soapy notes over a soft, sweet, but slightly leathery masculine musk. The structure of this fragrance is very much in keeping with traditional Eau de Colognes, except that TV is actually an EDP. As such, the top citrus notes are orchestrated to last a relatively long time. The scent is probably bolstered by synthetic citrus compounds, although the effect is a strikingly real tangerine fruit--juicy, sweet, acidic and vaguely bitter. TV is not a complicated or challenging fragrance. Despite its bright citrus quality, TV is actually quite calming, especially on days that are a bit hectic or anxiety-ridden. There is something about citrus that immediately catches one's attention, taking the focus off of nervous tension and putting the mind into the moment. TV successfully evokes "Tangerine" while being refined enough to wear as a personal fragrance. It is a great all-around, all occasion, warm weather scent, suitable for men or women.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SotD Sunday 6 September

Perles de Lalique.

Sunnyfunny, that is probably what he wants--he's laying on the guilt trip. Ignore him and look for other SA's to deal with!

Hubby's away on a Boys' Camping Weekend (which is actually fatty BBQ and booze) so I'm happy to wear whatever he hates. Tonight it's Dior's classic Poison - I LOVE the punch!
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Definitely a Comme des Garcons girl.

(((Oh Chaya)))!

I had a killer migraine for a day and a bit and have emerged today feeling better, but still a bit delicate. Wearing Tam Dao. Somehow extremely perfect.

Sacre by Caron today. Old fashioned in a way, and beatiful :-) I feel extra spesial feminine in this one.
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Caswell Massey Jockey Club tonight. With this frag and a voice I could join a Barbershop Quartet and just sing and sing..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I don't think I have smelled daphne (that I've ever been aware of). What does it smell like? I definitely get the mandarin, mint, lily of the valley all up top, and something a bit sweetish like jasmine/narcissus combined, maybe that's the daphne? I'm not good at identifying notes.
    Daphne odora is a shrub that flowers in late winter/early spring. The blooms have a sharp, very intense smell - I would call it a green floral smell. Hard to describe, but impossible to forgot it once experienced. I'm not good at identifying notes OR describing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    ...I feel like I should buy a 'fume from him just to placate him...
    Boy, I wouldn't! I'd be tempted to tell him that if it weren't for his attitude, I'd buy a bottle from him, but that I think I'll take my business elsewhere. (Though I know it's easier to imagine saying that than it is to actually do it!)

P.S. Thanks for the hug. I needed it!

Yeah, I think you should buy a bottle from that nasty SA's put-upon rival...right in front of him, the weasel.

I'm in Chanel Sycomore for SotE and overnight. I warned you about my Chanel bender!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution

Hi everyone- I missed you ! Hugs ! I had a great weekend and I hope you did too.
    I got 2 Jo Malones- one I love and one I don't now....

SoTD is Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine. I don't like this one.
    Going on my sales thread tomorrow for sure..........
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Hi all,

Continuing with my embarrassing series of wearings of full bottles I've purchased but haven't worn yet, I'm wearing Elizabeth W Vetiver, bought on a whim because it was cheap and decently interesting.

The top was vanilla and patchouli, sweet but not too sweet. Eventually, a dry, dusty vetiver came in under the sweet top, paired with a pinch of citrus. The sweet, creamy feel combined with the citrus give this an Italian feel, with the vetiver acting more as an herbal mixture and providing just a touch of a balancing force to all that creamy sweetness.

To compare it to something more well-known, it's kind of like Hanae Mori's HM for men with vetiver and patchouli.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Sunday's SOTD was a Wiggle Perfume oil in Honeysuckle & Sweet Tea - very pretty scent - sweet but not sickly or food-y, that lingers on the skin for quite a while but doesn't have much sillage.
    Last edited by Un Belle Parfum; 7th September 2009 at 01:46 AM.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

SOTE L'Artisan Iris Pallida

La Nuit De L'Homme by YSL
    Gary

L' Interdit (Givenchy)

Hugs to all, especially Chaya, Brielle, and Haunani...

Sunnyfunny - I saw your note in the month's purchases thread. I'm glad that you got the bottle you wanted & that snotty SA didn't get the sale. (I do not ever ask the snotty Darphin-then-Sisley SA in Honolulu's NM to help me. I'll just find someone else on the floor... or I'll call the fabulous SA at NM San Diego.)

All the chatter on Fracas has given me encouragement to try my sample, so there you go...

SotD for the Rained-Out RainDrop is Fracas

Blog Entries

(((hugs))) Chaya! My mom has told me she felt the same way, both when I went away to school and again later when I moved all the way across the country to live with DH. We talk on the phone and send packages, but I still feel so sad that she's back in Florida without me. My aunt (her brother's widow) lives with her part of the year (my mom is twice divorced), but I wish I could be home more often to help with chores, take her out to dinner, or just hang out and chat.

Sunnyfunny, next time you're buying face cream, I would be sure to mention that SA's attitude and the comments he's made to another employee. There's no excuse and Nordstrom expects better from their employees.

DH and I drove down to Gilroy so he could get a particular book he needs for his next Buddhism course. The outlet stores were nearby, so I went to Fragrance Outlet and did a little sniffing. I finally got to L'Or de Torrente, but it had a vanilla, anise, gourmand thing going on that I don't love, so I'll pass even though I love the bottle. And, actually, the bottles isn't quite as swell in person as it is in print.

Left wearing Aramis for a Day Two SnS. Sadly, DH doesn't like the chypre family on him much (or orientals; he prefers citrus and fougeres). He loved the bottle design for Mont Blanc Presence, but didn't like the juice. Poor guy had the same thing happen with Givenchy Pi. I need to find him some classic smelling juice in a super cool bottle. Ooh, frag shopping, yay!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous