Code of Conduct

Question How reliable is Visine Red Eye reliever?

I have a question especially directed to US and Canadian Basenoters!

My eyes are often red / bloodshot when I stare at the computer screen too long, or when I'm just inside too long. I don't have any known allergies. I dislike my red eyes and wanted to try an over the counter remedy.

Alas, in Europe, regulations forbid the sale of for example Visine Original, which contains Tetrahydrozoline HCl, a vasoconstrictor that shrinks blood vessels.

I wish to know whether someone can give me their experiences on using Visine, whether it helps removing red eyes before a night out or a romantic dinner, and whether you had any side effects. I am aware I shouldn't use visine daily. Oh, and I'm wearing contacts... I know the directions say that you should remove them first before using visine.

Thanks in advance peeps.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 6th September 2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Default Re: How reliable is Visine Red Eye reliever?

Yes Visine totally works. I use the Allergy Visine at this time of year as my eyes are red and burning quite a bit. They have a special formula for dry tired eyes- thinking this is for people who are looking at a screen all day.

There was a French (made in France I think..) eye drop called Collyre Bleu that used to be available in Quebec that was the best for red itchy eyes. Made them clear and cool. Hard to find over here these days. The best eye drops I have ever used, better than Visine.

The European line Mavala has Eyelite blue drops as well but they are hard to find as well.
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 7th September 2009 at 04:03 PM.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Thanks Jane

Yeah I read about Collyre Blue as well. I figured all the active ingredients are of the same category (a vasoconstrictor, whether it's Tetrahydrozoline for the Original or Naphazoline for the Allergy-version) so I think I would attempt to obtain a 'big brand' eye drop such as Visine on eBay...

I hope they work and I won'd get addicted to them. Otherwise, I'm sure I can still use them as a prank.

Visine Red does work effectively but I avoid using it because a friend of mine got hooked on the stuff. Her eyes looked worse than ever when she stopped using it.

My allergist prescribed Patanol for me which works pretty well. She suggested I keep it in the refrigerator. Using chilled drops not only feels really good, but she said it gave the drug better access to the mast cells, whatever that means.

I'm really afraid of over using it. My eyes have very visible blood vessels, always had them, don't want to make them worse. But whenever I'm playing theatre or dancing salsa, I'm very close to someone else and wish to look (and smell ) my best...

I'll have to follow up on this one.

Or ordered some bottles of Visine L.R. from eBay. This uses another vasoconstrictor (Oxymetazoline) than the normal Visine (Tetrahydrozoline), and Visine advertises that it keeps your eyes 6 hours red-free as opposed to the normal Visine.

I've been using it for a month now, and I'm really happy with it. When my eyes get dry, they get red, but I really notice that Visine is keeping it significantly less red than when I don't use it. I even tested it in one eye comparing it to the other. It's really noticable.

So, if anyone is reading this thread in the future: it works for me. I use it twice a week max, hope I don't get addicted to it.