Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question NYC fragrance shopping question

Hello all,

I'm going to New York in a couple weeks for a wedding and a will have a few days to explore Manhattan. I've never been to New York before, so as excited as I am for the spectacular fragrance shopping there, I already have an overwhelming number of things to see (plus, I'm going with my girlfriend, and I don't want to drag her to perfume shops all day).

So, going under the assumption that I will only have a few hours to devote to smelling activities, is there a certain area I should hit that has an abnormally large number of awesome fragrnace shops? Like a 5 or 10 block radius? What shops are in this area? We will probably be hitting Barney's and Bloomies regardless, so those don't count.

Just to clarify: yes, I have seen the NY shopping thread, but there are so many options listed there that I found this specific information hard to deduce. Plus I'm not familiar with the city. I see that there's a street with several discount fragrance shops in a row...but I'm more interested in boutiques that carry scents I might not see elsewhere.

Thanks! Please feel free to post a link if there is already a thread that addresses this exact question.

PS: I will provide a full report when I get back!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 4th September 2009 at 03:17 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NYC fragrance shopping question

For fragrance departments that give you the biggest bang for your buck selection-wise, you can't beat Barney's and Bergdorf Goodman IMO...and they're very close to one another...you can walk from Barney's to Bergdorf, and then the both of you, smellin' fantastic, can walk right into Central Park for a nice late summer stroll! Sounds like the perfect day to me...

Edit: Or even better: Do the fragrance counter at Barney's (walk in and go down the stairs)...then walk down Madison Avenue to 57th Street and have lunch at Obika'...it's a really great fresh mozzarella bar that opened a NYC branch (they have a few locations in Italy I have been to also)...continue walking down Madison Ave to 54th Street, hang a right and walk a block to Fifth Avenue, and go into Takashimaya (it'll be on your right). On the ground floor they have a really good little niche fragrance dept. with self-service testers for everything, you'll have fun there! Then when you're done...just stroll straight up Fifth Avenue to Bergdorf Goodman, and then the Park! Have fun!
    Last edited by arlecchino; 4th September 2009 at 04:01 PM.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, arlecchino, thanks! That sounds amazing, and it's pretty close to where I'm staying! I forgot all about Bergdorf.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, definitely go to Bergdorf. I'm not super familiar with NY, so I can't really offer too much advice about what's close to what, but I really feel that you owe it to yourself to visit Aedes.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

In the Village, Aedes de Venustas on Christopher Street and CO Bigelow on 6th Avenue will give you more sniffing opportunities than you could imagine. They are walking distance from each other. You should visit both!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any idea what you want to smell what lines? that will help? basically the two ares have been covered,

You have Barneys/Takashimaya/Bergdorf/Nordstrom/Saks all in one area near around 57th and madison and 5th ave all within a few blocks

Or Aedes down in the village and CO Bigelow

Aedes is a great place to visit, and they have a lot of the niche lines and some overlap with Barney/bergdorf, but not all. One great thing about aedes, no stress or pressure to buy at all and do not hover over you
    Last edited by denec; 5th September 2009 at 12:31 AM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    For fragrance departments that give you the biggest bang for your buck selection-wise, you can't beat Barney's and Bergdorf Goodman IMO...and they're very close to one another...you can walk from Barney's to Bergdorf, and then the both of you, smellin' fantastic, can walk right into Central Park for a nice late summer stroll! Sounds like the perfect day to me...

Edit: Or even better: Do the fragrance counter at Barney's (walk in and go down the stairs)...then walk down Madison Avenue to 57th Street and have lunch at Obika'...it's a really great fresh mozzarella bar that opened a NYC branch (they have a few locations in Italy I have been to also)...continue walking down Madison Ave to 54th Street, hang a right and walk a block to Fifth Avenue, and go into Takashimaya (it'll be on your right). On the ground floor they have a really good little niche fragrance dept. with self-service testers for everything, you'll have fun there! Then when you're done...just stroll straight up Fifth Avenue to Bergdorf Goodman, and then the Park! Have fun!
    What he said.

You might want to also add Aedes to the list - a quick cab ride over to the Village. Amazing selection of Amouage's and Lutens.

Post Thanks / Like

Within the 4 to 5 blocks from Bergdorf you have Cartier, Dunhill, Zegna, Gucci, tiffany, Bvlgari. and many Boutiques. Enjoy our Town

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post

I second everything arlecchino said. I had my first shopping experience in NYC just a couple of months ago, and it pretty much followed the plan he described. And definitely don't do what I almost did - pass up Takashimaya simply because the name is unfamiliar. If I had, I would have missed my favorite fragrance moment of my trip. The selection is large, niche, and eclectic.
    My second favorite experience was Aedes and Bigelow, virtually within sight of each other. I'll go against the popular tide and admit that I didn't care for Aedes the shop; it made me feel claustrophobic. But their selection is grand, and Bigelow's is a walk back in time. It's all good!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    You have Barneys/Takashimaya/Bergdorf/Nordstrom/Saks all in one area near around 57th and madison and 5th ave all within a few blocks
    All good except there isn't a Nordstrom in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    And definitely don't do what I almost did - pass up Takashimaya simply because the name is unfamiliar. If I had, I would have missed my favorite fragrance moment of my trip. The selection is large, niche, and eclectic. It's all good!
    Takashimaya has the exclusive on Histoire de Parfums along with a few other niche lines like Anvers and a Different Company. It's one of 5th Avenue's treasures. A Japanese department store with an amazing tea room in the basement where you can have an exquisite lunch and floors of beautiful home furnishings, unknown, avant-garde clothing lines and jewelry. It's 3 blocks from Bergdorf: 5th Avenue between 55th and 54th Streets.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th September 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone. This is really very helpful. I would have been lost without you!

I'll start mapping my route!

Henri Bendel is one block north of Takashimaya on the opposite side of the street. Worth a visit if you're interested in the Etat Libre d’Orange line. Secretions Magnifique, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    All good except there isn't a Nordstrom in NYC.

duh...no idea why i was even thinking of that never even been to a Nordstrom I meant Bloomingdale, thanks for that LOL

bond no 9!

Can anyone confirm that Aedes has moved ? If so, what is their new address as their website is still listing the one on Christopher street ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin07 View Post
    Can anyone confirm that Aedes has moved ? If so, what is their new address as their website is still listing the one on Christopher street ?
    no aedes has not moved they are still in same place

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaosman View Post
    bond no 9!
    oh yes they are right in same area as barney/bergdorf as well and good place to stop in as well i forgot about them

when you think about it there are too many places to visit in one day will become overwhelmed,