Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default Mazzolari Patchouli or Patchouli Antique?

I've decided to pick up one of these 2 patch scents, but can't decide whether to spend the extra $$$ on Mazzolari or buy the LN patch and get some bang for my buck.

I've haven't sampled either and like usual, I'm going on reviews and opinions after researching them. What do you guys think?

Default Re: Mazzolari Patchouli or Patchouli Antique?

Mazzolari patchouli. I'd gladly bleed my donation for it.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I know I'm on record for saying this, but Mazzolari Patchouli is a fabulous scent. In fact, it's the scent that got me to like patchouli. Basically, I'd describe it like this: it's similar to Mazzolari Lui (I know you wrote a review on it), but without the animalic feel and an even more prominent patchouli. It's very rich and quite complex. The patchouli, though very prominent, is not as earthy or crude as some "head shop" patchoulis - the substantial amber content really rounds off its sharp edges nicely. Believe it or not, LuckyScent's description of this scent is spot on. Being a fan of powerhouse scents, you'll probably appreciate it's excellent longevity and sillage - it's similar to Lui's. It may require taking out a second mortgage to buy a bottle, but it's so good, it's worth putting the house at risk. I wish I had the dough to score a bottle.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on the other frag. Never tried it.

AE, I found Patchouli Antique to have a strange "yeasty" note which I think can get tiresome. I think the Mazzolari is the better of the two. However, before you buy, you may want to try Farmacia SS Patchouly Indonesiano (or whatever it is named). It is less expensive than the Mazzolari, and is definitely in the same league.

you may want to sample the following 2 scents along with the Mazzo and Les Nereides.. from luckyscent...especially since you are investing top $$$'s...

Patchouly Indonesiano - Parfum Concentration - w/ spray atomizer - by Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561

Intrigant Patchouli Eau de Parfum - by Parfumerie Generale

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    AE, I found Patchouli Antique to have a strange "yeasty" note which I think can get tiresome. I think the Mazzolari is the better of the two. However, before you buy, you may want to try Farmacia SS Patchouly Indonesiano (or whatever it is named). It is less expensive than the Mazzolari, and is definitely in the same league.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    you may want to sample the following 2 scents along with the Mazzo and Les Nereides.. from luckyscent...especially since you are investing top $$$'s...

Patchouly Indonesiano - Parfum Concentration - w/ spray atomizer - by Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561

Intrigant Patchouli Eau de Parfum - by Parfumerie Generale
    Thank you both for the intel on Indonesio. Believe it or not, I had looked at it this afternoon, but thought maybe it was going to be too linear. They make it sound pretty good though.

Aromi - I have to admit that Mazzolari Patchouli is one of the very best I've ever smelled. Between it and Patchouli Antique I would recomend Mazzolari. I have been saving up for a bottle myself but have not taken the jump, but I have tested it extensively. Mazzolari patchouli is balanced slightly with a soft amber base, but it is not as sweet as Patchouli Antique. Also it has a slight animalic note that I think comes from honey which is listed as a note - a very unusual and subtle twist for a patchouli scent.
    Patchouly Indonesiano from Farm. Annunziata is a much colder patchouli scent because it has no amber, vanilla, chocolate, roses or anything sweet to balance the patchouli with. But, I am pretty sure they do mix in vetiver and possibly a mitti attar blended with patchouli for that dry earth scent. It is not a linear patchouli but is much earthier and cooler in its presentation than almost any others Ive tried. I have a bottle of this one and it is my favorite. Another of the gentler patchouli's I've tried is L'Artisan Patchouli Patch which is softened with osmanthus for an herbal peach note along with a very cool anise basenote. As you can probably tell I am a patchouli fan.
    If you are wanting a very good patchouli that is a great value I recomend Reminiscene (correcion) Patchouli - "shameless plug" - I have a bottle for sale in the marketplace! It is a favorite patchouli for many basenoters and is a bargain at the price.
    A couple of other patchouli's that are pretty nice for the price are: Demeter Fragrance Library Naturals 2009 Patchouli (Sephora) and CB I Hate Perfume Patchouli Empire (water based) (Luckyscent). Both are nicely blended with very grassy elements. Demeter Naturals Patchouli has a nice orange opening before a grassy patchouli and Patchouli Empire is also very earthy patchouli but the base smells like old wood. Both are excellent. I am afraid I am offering too much not asked for information here.
    Another thought that goes with your penchant for vintage fragrances is to score a vintage bottle of Gentleman Givenchy - nicely done patchouli.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 7th September 2009 at 05:40 PM.

I like the mazzolari, but I would always say sample.

Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli is my preferred patchouli scent. You should try it atleast once.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

If your gonna sample a few try Caswell-Massey's Patchouli as well .
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 7th September 2009 at 12:35 PM.

As Asha pointed out, there's a strange note in many of the Les Nereides scents that I find off-putting. Between the two, I would go for Mazzolari Patchouli.

I can't comment on Intrigant Patchouli but your opinion of this house will be a pretty good indication as to whether or not this is worth considering. As for Patchouly Indonesiano, I wouldn't recommend it - after an hour, there are only traces left on the skin (that's if you're lucky). It's quite strange that it's parfum concentration and yet is sold for a very low price per ml, no?

Not meaning to confuse things further but Profumum Roma's Patchouly is simply amazing - it's a real powerhouse. Please give it a try.
    Last edited by Trebor; 7th September 2009 at 12:48 PM.

Basenotes Institution

So...which one did you decide to get?

I'm sampling the Les Nereides Patchouli Antique tonight and it's got this aldehydic-dirt vibe that I think is what Asha & Trebor mentioned. I've smelled this effect/accord before in Dark Earth by Neil Morris and it made the scent slightly intolerable.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th October 2009 at 04:09 AM.

This is my list from another thread:

Amber patch:
    Reminiscence Patchouli and Patchouli Elixir
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouli (similar to Montale Patchouli Leaves)
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude
    Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Animalic patch:
    Mazzolari Lui
    Le Labo Patchouli 24
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch

Refined patch:
    Serge Lutens Borneo 1834
    Chanel Coromandel

Patch overload:
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Profumum Patchouli
    Farmacia SS Patchouli Indonesiano (this one is closest to the pure oil)

Mike I am not sure what that "yeast" note is--I haven't felt compelled to try the Patcouli Antique since, and did not feel good enough about it to include it on my list. Other omissions are either because I did not try the frag or didn't wear it enough to recommend it yet.
    Last edited by Asha; 7th October 2009 at 03:28 AM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So...which one did you decide to get?

I'm sampling the Les Nereides patchouli tonight and it's got this aldehydic-dirt vibe that I think is what Asha & Trebor mentioned. I've smelled this effect/accord before in Dark Earth by Neil Morris and it made the scent slightly intolerable.
    Well Mike, I just received a terrific swap from Asha ( thanks again Dianne !!!) and I am in the process of sampling Borneo 1834, Intrigant Patchouli, Dolce Patchouli and Patchouli Elixir.

Now the Mazzolari is really good IMO, but I decided to sample numerous patch scents before pulling the trigger......and I'm glad I'm doing so. So far, the one I like (initially) out of these 4 is the Dolce.

Wow, not what I was expecting since you seemed keen on the Mazzolari!

AromiErotici

Wow, not what I was expecting since you seemed keen on the Mazzolari!
    I also liked Bois 1920 RP quite a bit that I recently sampled. The Dolce is really good.

The Intrigant Patchouli lost me at the drydown. I enjoyed the top and mids, but it seemed to get a little too feminine once the base kicked in. Very good scent though. Dolce has a drydown that I'm enjoying as we speak.

Basenotes Institution

Good for you Aromi - sampling first is always the best tactic. It requires a bit more patience, I know...but, it's worth it. Dolce Patchouli, who does that one?

Asha - I had no idea your patchouli research skills were so comprehensive. Thanks!

AromiErotici

MY bad Mike. It's by Profumi Firenze.

Apologies in advance--the Profumi Firenze seems rather scarce, although TPC sells a good sized decant of it.

AromiErotici

Apologies in advance--the Profumi Firenze seems rather scarce, although TPC sells a good sized decant of it.
    A decant of this is good to go. You don't need much for a wearing and it seems it would make a great occasion scent.

Great thread and thank you for the patchouli snapshot list, Asha. I recently bought Mazzolari Lui and really, really like it - will look into Le Labo and PP first chance I get.

This is my list from another thread:

Amber patch:
    Reminiscence Patchouli and Patchouli Elixir
    Bois 1920 Real Patchouli (similar to Montale Patchouli Leaves)
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew Amber Nude
    Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Animalic patch:
    Mazzolari Lui
    Le Labo Patchouli 24
    L'Artisan Patchouli Patch

Refined patch:
    Serge Lutens Borneo 1834
    Chanel Coromandel

Patch overload:
    Mazzolari Patchouli
    Profumum Patchouli
    Farmacia SS Patchouli Indonesiano (this one is closest to the pure oil)

To add to this wonderful list:

Refined:
    Etat Libre Nombril Immense
    CB I Hate Perfume Patchouli Empire
    Mugler Ice*Men

Amber:
    PG Intgriant Patchouli
    Ava Luxe Sweet Patchouli

Santa Maria Novella's Patchouli is quite lovely. Sort of a Victorian patch, relatively unadorned, but a nice and warm patchouli. I'll second Patchouli by Réminiscence, a bargain compared to the others and decent longevity, something I find hard to get in a natural patchouli. What about vintage Givenchy Gentleman? Patchouli upfront and ready for action.
    Enjoy your trip through the patch patch.

If there's an Italian bone in your body, then for the love of God, get the Mazzolari!

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    If there's an Italian bone in your body, then for the love of God, get the Mazzolari!
    Well, Profumum, Farmacia SS and Profumi Firenze are also Italian
    Last edited by Asha; 8th October 2009 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Great thread and thank you for the patchouli snapshot list, Asha. I recently bought Mazzolari Lui and really, really like it - will look into Le Labo and PP first chance I get.
    Patchouli Patch I put in the Animalic category because it is a Patch-Musk. Compared to the other two animalic fragrances, it is much tamer and toned down. Still worth it to try though!

AromiErotici

My God man.....you have struck a nerve ( and possibly some Rigatoni). I am now suffering from ethnic guilt on top of everything else.

Smile Re: Mazzolari Patchouli or Patchouli Antique?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    My God man.....you have struck a nerve ( and possibly some Rigatoni). I am now suffering from ethnic guilt on top of everything else.
    HA! And add some Catholic guilt for good measure!
    Last edited by graffham; 8th October 2009 at 01:29 PM.

AromiErotici

HA! And some Catholic guilt for good measure!
    Damn. We Italians are such a predictable lot. Excuse me now.....I have to make a novena.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Damn. We Italians are such a predictable lot. Excuse me now.....I have to make a novena.
    Ha x 100! Thanks for that extra laugh!
    Grazie mille!

Blog Entries

Aromi, what is the comparison between Mazzolari Lui & Patchouli for you? It seems like the Lui is a patch heavy scent only more complex. I'm just sayin'.... (I love Mazzolari) and have you tried the Vetiver? divine!

I wouldn't buy it blind though too $$$!
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th October 2009 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Aromi, what is the comparison between Mazzolari Lui & Patchouli for you? It seems like the Lui is a patch heavy scent only more complex. I'm just sayin'.... (I love Mazzolari) and have you tried the Vetiver? divine! I wouldn't buy it blind though too $$$!
    I have ML on one hand and MP on the other. MPatchouly is certainly different than MLui when sniffing side-by-side. I don't get the kitchen sink spice bouquet, vetiver and benzoin, that is Lui, I get a pure, cool patchouli that is attenuated by honey and benzoin and not a lot else. I'll also add that it's my favorite patch of all time.
    Kumquat, I think you're the one who turned me on to Mazzolari Vetiver, right? Thank you so much, I bought a bottle and I'm loving it. The house of Mazzolari has made a real man out of me!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 30th November 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Kumquat, I think you're the one who turned me on to Mazzolari Vetiver, right? Thank you so much, I bought a bottle and I'm loving it. The house of Mazzolari has made a real man out of me!
    That's great. I'm glad you discovered it, too. I am quite smitten with it, myself.