Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up S o t D Monday 7 September 2009

:wave::wave::wave:Good Morning Girls, have all a great, great week:bounce::bounce::bounce:

For a another very warm day, nothing better than Alberto Morillas'

ACQUA DI PARMA COLONIA INTENSA

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Jicky by Guerlain

Default Re: S o t D Monday 7 September 2009

Good morning all Woke up early today despite the fact that it got kind of late yesterday. A friend of mine is leaving the city .....and probably for good.Therefore she wanted me to come with her on a concert with "The Demon Claws",(a Canadian band),yesterday.It was a good concert ,and the Lead singer turned out to be a great guy.We ended up talking and hanging out after the concert Only bad thing is that it seems I lost my cell-phone yesterday Anyway Sotd is Bois d'iris.Hope you all have a nice day!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 7th September 2009 at 08:11 AM.

Armani Night today - I tend to neglect my pre-Basenotes purchases, but this one really holds up very well.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

SotD : Cristalle Eau de Toilette - Chanel

SotE : Léonard de Léonard Parfum - Léonard
    Wishlist is pointless.

SotD: Ta'if(Ormande Jayne)

Banned

Gris Clair

Basenotes Institution

Prada #1 Iris.

Here in the USA we are having another day off and this year it is the first year in my memory that I do not celebrate Labor Day with labor, the one they give you a paycheck for, because you know there is always cleaning, laundry, cooking, garage.....

They say there is going to be a city parade right in front of our house, with Antique tractors, local businesses' floats and a marching band. There were rock concerts Saturday night and last night in downtown (about 300 yards away), but we decided we would skip. Anyhow, happy day to everyone and to those pouring their efforts into the world's economy.

Please someone in/around NYC contact RedHotMama, tell her we -- kumquat and I -- are looking for her for the Blind Sniff. Hope everything is OK with her and the family.
    Last edited by Twolf; 7th September 2009 at 10:43 AM.

Poupee!
    Your friend is your needs answered. He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.

Blog Entries

Sarah Jessica Parker 'Lovely' for me today - I've made quite a solid dent in my bottle of this already, I like it so much more than I thought I would.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Twolfie-
    Your day sounds wonderful...though I know it's odd not to be working ;-)
    Not to worry about RHM, darling- she's with hubby in the islands, so I'm sure she's been busy ;-)

AL Dark Amber for bed, some chypre today- maybe Parfum Rare...it'll be warmer here.
    Gorgeous weather.

Still coming to terms with the rattling about in our tiny space-
    Thank you, dears, for all your support.
    I think if we had family backup, anyone left living who cared about our boys and their achievements, it would be easier.
    It just feels so lonely-those remaining don't give a crap and don't get it, either.
    Makes B and me realize what a wonderful unit we've created and fostered among the four of us, and our dear friends.....

Loving thoughts to our Brielle and our poor migraineuse !
    Joy, I'm so happy for you...;-)
    Last edited by chayaruchama; 7th September 2009 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries

Big bear hugs to my two ladies who are feeling so bad. Chaya I love your unit. You have created the love and support for your family that many would happily be a part of. If those around you don't realize what you and B have accomplished in raising your boys, well pardon my french, screw 'em
    Brielle I only hope that you don't spend time beating yourself up trying to wonder if you could have saved the person. When someone looks into those depths and makes that kind of final choice the only way the tragedy is made worse is if it causes others to feel that despair, too. You are a wonderful person but even wonderful people can't help everyone.

It has been a busy weekend for me as I've been drafting multiple fantasy football teams, watching college football, international football (soccer), going to BBQ's and otherwise enjoying this last fling with summer.
    Today I'm heading to the next-to-last draft up in NH and needed something "manly" for the occasion.

John Varvatos

It must be difficult as a perfumer to be given the assignment to create a designer scent. Probably similar to being an artist working in advertising. You want to be able to show off your artistry but the client has a vision they want to see realized. I think this is why so many times when I approach a designer scent I'm already pre-disposed to yawn because I'm not really expecting anything very different. It is nice when those expectations get dashed, every once in a while. Rodrigo Flores-Roux manages to tread a nice line between commercial and creative in his 2004 creation John Varvatos. In some of the press materials about John Varvatos they trumpet that some of the notes used in this scent were used for the first time. Sometimes there is a reason for that. Happily, in this case M. Flores-Roux uses that novelty to create originality over a base of familiarity and creates one of the better designer scents to be found. According to the note list the top notes are; medjool dates, Mediterranean herbs and tamarind leaves. This combination has a quality of feeling like a dark fruit married to a mix of dry herbs of which rosemary is the most prominent, and it is all tied together with an interesting green note I haven't smelled before; tamarind I presume. The top overall is sweet but the rosemary and tamarind offset it enough to keep it from being too sweet. Sage and coriander are used to transition the scent into a heart of Indian Ajowan, which is a variety of caraway. I have really come to enjoy the use of caraway in colognes, Parfumerie Generale Querelle uses it to stunning effect. The ajowan here carries the same dark spiciness that I get from Querelle but in conjunction with the sage and coriander, in John Varvatos, it feels more herbal overall. The heart transitions to the base on a note of vanilla which carries the scent into safe masculine woody teritory. In the base the unique note is called Eaglewood but it smells like a less-complex version of oud and a more complex version of gaiac. There is also a synthetic added called Auramber and based on the name I'm guessing this is the source of the warm amber feel underneath the intense woods. There is also a hint of resin which also might be coming from the auramber, as well. I find John Varvatos to be very long-lasting with above average sillage, on me. It can be depressing sometime to look out at the sea of designer scents out there and sigh. That's why its nice to wear John Varvatos and be able to turn that frown upside down.

Have a Melodic Monday everyone.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 7th September 2009 at 11:29 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Creed Virgin Island Water. Happy Labor Day to all of the US BNers!

Top Notes: Bergamot, Lime, Mandarin, Coconut Toddy, Copra
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Hibiscus, Ylang-ylang, Ginger
    Base Notes: Tonkin Musk, White Rum, Sugar Cane

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

A*Men Pure Coffee

Hope you have a wonderful day.

D&G Light Blue for me today.

(((Hugs to Chaya)))

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    I think if we had family backup, anyone left living who cared about our boys and their achievements, it would be easier.
    It just feels so lonely-those remaining don't give a crap and don't get it, either.
    ChayChay - stuff 'em, you've got us!!!! We may be an unconventional 'family' but we're as keen on hearing all about your lovely boys as any aunties or uncles could be. And remember that while the living ones don't give a crap, I'm sure you know exactly which of the ancestors would be enormously proud of your family's achievements. They may be gone but they are are genetically present in Team Chaya, so you can imagine them cheering you all on too.

Small isn't settling in Kindergarten, though I was bizarrely cheered this morning when I popped in to speak to her teacher. One of the little chaps in her class was bawling his eyes out, bless him. I felt for the little lad's pain, but was glad Small is not the only wailer in Frau Lightsabre's flock. Evidently she's not the only one struggling to adjust.

Anyway, because we're very concerned about Small in School, I completely forgot to spritz this morning and find myself unscented. Shock! Since I have collected Small and learned she was very good today and didn't cry (thereby earning herself a handful of Smarties in a process no longer called bribery and now called 'positive reinforcement'), I am feeling much cheered and think I might go for a sweetie myself. L de Lolita Lempicka is calling me.

Hoping you all have a good day, whether you are labouring or not.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Basenotes Plus

Roberto, you started us off in yet another beautiful choice! You are smelling fabulous and elegant, as always.

(((((Chaya,))))) I can only echo what's been already said here - we love you and care about you and your loved ones, and are genuinely interested in what's going on in your lives. Maybe not exactly the same as biological family, but pretty darn close in terms of caring and concern. Me, I'm sitting here simultaneously kvelling and tearing up over J. I LOVE THAT KID! (and his family, too.) xoxo

Dear (((((Brielle))))) I just went back over the last day or two of posts. I am so sorry. Words fail me in the face of such a painful, wrenching loss. Please accept my condolences, my dear. xxxooo

Wordie, (((((hugs))))) to you and Small. Bless 'em, they eventually acclimate but when all's said and done, in the meantime they're still little ones, even as we guide them and encourage them to step up. My good friend Lisa and I met in Lamaze classes (HAR!!! HAR!!! HAR!!!) over 22 years ago and we have always reassured each other about our kids with this line: "They'll be fine. WE'LL be dead but THEY'LL be fine." LOL xoxo

Sotd is Creed Royal Delight
    Notes: citrus, mandarin, jasmine, leather, amber, vanilla

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Aimez-Moi by Caron

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Gendarme today. Let the rains come. I fixed the roof leak yesterday.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Oh Brielle! My heart goes out to you and yours after reading about such sad circumstances. Truly, I am sorry.

Dear Chaya, although you are a woman of keen wisdom, your sensitive heart still aches...I'm sending you a squeeze that you should feel all the way from Indiana to Mass.

Positive vibes to basenoters in need.

I'll be joining Roberto (who strangely enough, looks just like Sean Penn! ) by wearing an Alberto Morillas creation:

Herve Leger

Sampling Hervé Léger, thanks to a dear friend. The first sniff makes me think of Valentino V, another favorite of mine, so you guessed well! They share the heliotrope & sandalwood.

Hugs to all who need them... Wordie's right, Chaya, you've got a whole passel of aunties & uncles here to share J's accomplishments with. I know you'll miss him being around, but Twolf is right, too: "J. will be back to his mama." He is hale, hearty, happy, and diving headlong into life. There is so much joy in that.

(Gee, I wonder who I got that Hervé Léger from? )

Ah, Wordie !
    Frau Lightsabre is a piece of work...

You've got a free spirit there-
    And, speaking from experience, it is difficult to be an individual in a society that praises 'compliance', order, and conformity.
    Little will adjust; the challenge is always to keep the spirit intact ;-)
    [Not an easy task, as you well imagine- but you and DH are up to it, most definitely]

I feel for you all.
    This parenting stuff is NOT FOR THE FEEBLE, baby ;-)

Bless you all for your sweet support.
    I surely don't mean to grumble.
    Kisses to you all !

Hello, everyone
    Un bois Vanille by Serge Lutens for me today. I just put it one, now in the afternoon. Comforting, wonderful.
    Big day for me: This morning I had an eye operation; new lenses inside the eyes, to rid me of my glasses (hurray), and I tell every person who bothers to listen
    Anyways, I thought it would be an idea to put on perfume after the procedure, to avoid negative associations to any of my beloved scents.
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell
    Currently wearing: DKNY Women by Donna Karan

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    My SOTD is Creed Virgin Island Water. Happy Labor Day to all of the US BNers!
    It's Labour Day Weekend in Canada too

Today the chewy mouth watering greens of PdN Le Temps d'Une Fete

beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    It's Labour Day Weekend in Canada too
    And a Happy Labour Day to all of our Canadien BNers!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th September 2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Brielle: I am so very sorry. Sometimes, even if one is aware of the risk, it is ultimately difficult to prevent someone from taking her/his life. Depression is a deadly disease. I am so sorry.

Chaya: You have a wonderful family that you built through love, sweat, and tears. Let go of the other swirling mishigas.

Wordbird: You are so right. Parenting is not for the weak of soul. Too bad we are not warned beforehand There is nothing that can make one doubt oneself, one's self-worth, even one's reason for being, than an intelligent, petulant adolescent.

I am wearing AL Frangipani over monoi oil.

Blog Entries

sotd:
    Amouage
    Silver
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Happy Labor Day to all who celebrate, and hugs to all who need them.

Today, I am preparing traditional midwestern Labor Day fare for my solo feast: Bratwurst cooked in beer, corn on the cob cooked in the husks and cold potato salad with egg and enough onion to cause social discomfort (from the deli), and maybe some baked beans if I have any in the pantry. I don't have a grill, so all will be done indoors with the stove

No SotD today, yet--I'll post again later.

Blog Entries

Hi everyone! Happy Labour Day to those enjoying it :-)

CSP Ecume de The for me today.

Love and warm thoughts to those in need, here and elsewhere....
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

SOTD : MH Fleurs de Bois-
    Green and more.

Blog Entries

Vintage Tabac Blond

A deep bold opening of nearly gasoline on leather.
    It eventually morphs to a sensuous thrumming geranium based amber that is anything but sweet.
    This thing grabs you by the throat & won't let go.
    Currently wearing: Aperçu by Houbigant