Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: giorgio beverly hills for men 1984(original)VS giorgio beverly hills for men(re-issue

What a joy to read about RED in the GIORGIO BEVERLEY HILLS FOR MEN THREAD. Now back to the topic please

GBH FOR MEN has been discontinued by Elizabeth Arden. If you want/need any I suggest members buy from walgreens.com to avoid counterfeits or old stock. My bottles from drugstore.com (also owned by walgreens) were of decent quality. Walgreens still has a few left.

Default Re: giorgio beverly hills for men 1984(original)VS giorgio beverly hills for men(re-issue

It is back for sale on drugstore.com $26. If you use coupon code BEAUTY20 the price comes out to $20.98. Free ship on orders of $25 or more. I bought another 7 for a total of 16 !

This should last me a few months

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I bought another 7 for a total of 16 !

This should last me a few months
    Decades or even centuries, more like. They are going to start a new feature on you for that reality TV show called "Hoarders." Seriously though I may need to stock up too, but as 1 bottle lasts me years and years (even with pretty frequent usage) a couple extras may be a lifetime of 1 spray per wear usage for me. Now 16...? ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Decades or even centuries, more like. They are going to start a new feature on you for that reality TV show called "Hoarders." Seriously though I may need to stock up too, but as 1 bottle lasts me years and years (even with pretty frequent usage) a couple extras may be a lifetime of 1 spray per wear usage for me. Now 16...? ;-)
    If he douses himself every single day, say ~8 sprays, that will last him 43 years

10 squirts a day. 16 bottles should last me anywhere between 6 - 10 years.

I figure the way modern perfumery is going there isn't much to anticipate. I also don't believe in spending too much money on fragrances. This is a steal. Anything I like these days is way over priced. I like to use cologne freely. When you start rationing sprays of your $200 + 2oz bottle of TF it loses the "good " feeling. Cologne is like a good wine to me.

Open the bottle and enjoy it.

When cotton went up last year I "hoarded" underwear and socks. If the world goes down the tubes and were are forced into seclusion at least I will smell good and have clean underwear to boot.

$20.98 with that coupon code on drugstore.com INSANE !!! Hoard I say.

Agreed. My bottle will last ages. Plus a large bottle has 118 or so ml's, so the extra bonus is there

10 squirts a day. 16 bottles should last me anywhere between 6 - 10 years....
    Are you sure your sense of smell isn't ....off ? 16 bottles should last 4 lifetimes at least.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Pomegranate Noir, Midnight in Paris EDP, Feeling Man, Essence of John Galliano, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Aramis Calligraphy Rose, Penhaligon's Esprit de Roi, PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Sound Scents

I forgot to mention that the color of this juice from drugstore.com is a light almost translucent green color. The previous bottles I have owned have been a noticeably richer green.

Has anyone had the same experience ?
    I just got my new re-release back-up bottle direct from Amazon today and it is noticeably lighter and a more translucent green (like you describe above) than the mossy darker green/green-brown color of both my vintage bottle and more importantly the re-release bottle I purchased only last year (not from Amazon). I can now confirm that there definitely has been a change in color on some of the re-release bottles (different manufacturer?).

As for the scent itself on the re-release, I am now thinking there are some minor variations between my darker green version of the release and the lighter green version I just received early on out of the bottle. The darker green version (on my left arm right now) smells just like my vintage juice, but the lighter green one (on my right arm) starts off different for about the first 10 minutes before settling into the same scent I know and love. I don't know if the darker green one is just a much older bottle of re-release juice and maybe the top notes are burned off somewhat (as would be the case for my vintage juice as well), or if the light green one really is an outright reformulation (aside from just being a different color). In either case, it seems to be for all intents and purposes the same scent once you get past the first 10 minutes, so I am not too worried as yet. If I find the longevity less than the darker re-issue version I will post it here. Strength between the two different colored re-release bottles is about the same to my nose so far (which means plenty strong).
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I am very curious to know what SERIAL NUMBER you have on the bottom of the box and if you bought from and shipped from amazon..not a 3rd party seller. ? Dying to find out actually !

Sound Scents

Above the bar code it has a pre-printed small number GISF40002

I don't know if this is a serial number or a UPC code, but the bar code's numbers are 7 19346 53632 5

Then below the "Made in the USA" tag under the bar code it has printed 9CA4

I bought directly from Amazon, not a re-seller.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Above the bar code it has a pre-printed small number GISF40002

I don't know if this is a serial number or a UPC code, but the bar code's numbers are 7 19346 53632 5

Then below the "Made in the USA" tag under the bar code it has printed 9CA4

I bought directly from Amazon, not a re-seller.

Thank You. The bottles I rave about from drugstore.com have the serial number 8KA2. The batch you have is the one that smelled funky to me. Maybe it is a batch issue vs a counterfeit issue but the dry down was almost all cinnamon reminiscent of the Halston Z-14 reformulation. You would be able to give us a valuable second opinion.

Let us know how it goes in an hour or two.

Thank You for the information. I have yet to buy a bottle of this on amazon...good to know.

Cheers

Sound Scents

Just for reference, my darker green re-issue bottle is 8BA2
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sound Scents

Well after a few hours of wearing the Amazon bought lighter juice bottle versus my older re-issue bottle with the darker juice, I regret to report that the older bottle is the superior one to my nose, at least. It is not like there is a crazy radical change in scent, but the dry-down is smoother and less chemical on the "older" re-issue bottle. On the new one I get a lot of powder on the dry-down that seems a bit off what it should be. Less refined, IMO. So it looks like the open and close are where the deficiencies are the most noticeable. Strength still seems intact.

In the end, I think EA does have a batch variation issue on its hands (or a minor reformulation). I do like even the Amazon bottle of juice and I am keeping it, but I will just have to savor my vintage stuff along with the darker re-issue bottle and hope I never have to dip into the backup from Amazon. Still a great value though...
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It seems like "8" is the magic number. Today I found 6 minis 1.6 oz I believe at my local TJ maxxx with the a serial number starting with an 8. I bought one opened it then bought the rest. They cost me $12.99 each which is a great deal considering overstock was selling them for around $17 without tax and shipping included.

New mini 1.6oz serial # 8BA3

Dr.Seid.... very similar to yours
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 16th March 2012 at 05:36 AM.

NOT ALL 8's ARE THE SAME :

Beware of batch # 8CA5. This is the serial number that was on a few boxes of "DARK YELLOW" counterfeit juice in Korea Town. A few Ebay sellers sent me a response with this batch # as well.

Another *questionable batch# that came up twice was # 8CA14

None of the bottles I own (6) have this many characters in the batch number. I could be wrong but seller perfume4ever 2010 has had enough negative feedback to be concerned. Them and another seller sent me this batch number.

I've got 8BA5 and it's very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I've got 8BA5 and it's very strong.
    Thanks Bigsly. I have a bottle of that batch coming in the mail.

Sorry for the other night...thanks for the info.

Sure, no problem.

Dependent

I have 8CA14. I found it very potent, but it has a bit of birch tar that put me off.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I have 8CA14. I found it very potent, but it has a bit of birch tar that put me off.
    Interesting. This gets better and better. What an odd serial number though compared to the rest of them.

* What color is the juice ?

So do you still get the toxic patchouli/honey that lingers forever with just a little more birch tar than normal ? Or is this a complete failure to your nose ?

Did you purchase this online and from who ?

Dependent

* What color is the juice ?
    light green.

So do you still get the toxic patchouli/honey that lingers forever with just a little more birch tar than normal ? Or is this a complete failure to your nose ?
    "toxic patchouli/honey that lingers forever" is a good way to describe it, and that's the part i really like. this is the only bottle of the stuff i've ever smelled so i can't compare. as for the birch tar, i smell it 10x stronger than everyone else in every fragrance, and I would not be surprised at all if this is the proper amount in the formula.

Did you purchase this online and from who ?
    Nope I got it from Ross.

Thank goodness I have Ungaro I for the sublime and intense combo of patchouli & honey without my nemesis birch tar.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 18th March 2012 at 05:01 AM.

Where do TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls get there frags?
    Are they irregulars like the clothing? Or just didnt sell at Sears, JCP?
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

This fragrance and EA have sent me on a wild ride. This little bottle from TJ Maxx is loaded with alcohol and is noticeably yellow compared to the large bottle on the right. The yellow reminds me of the dark urine colored bottles I saw for sale in Korea Town.

Although TJ Maxx has been sued by Burberry for selling counterfeit knock off clothing I couldn't find any complaints about their fragrances. The complete opposite to be exact.

There has to be more to this GBH story that we will probably never know.

I have another 4 bottles coming from different sources that have told me the batch numbers in advance. Hopefully this will prove to be a useful strategy. Who knows.

These little bottles go back to TJ Maxx tomorrow. There is no sense in keeping them. They smell synthetic with very minimal scent to them at all. I bought 2 batches from 2 different TJ Maxx locations and they turned out the same.

Meantime I will enjoy Givenchy Gentleman. I am starting to get into it.

Smells nice. Slightly too flamboyant.
    Last edited by bluemmb1; 14th January 2015 at 12:14 AM.

I can tell you yes they smell similar for sure but the difference is the original lasted much longer. It looked almost like it had an oil or something in it and the new has more alcohol for sure you can smell it. The old would stay in in you clothes even after a couple washes.. I miss the old formula... m ylady liked it so much that she found originals online back around 2006 for 350.00 for the bottle. Of course I still have a little left as its used for special occasions.. lol...

Quote Originally Posted by emanon31300 View Post
    I can tell you yes they smell similar for sure but the difference is the original lasted much longer. It looked almost like it had an oil or something in it and the new has more alcohol for sure you can smell it. The old would stay in in you clothes even after a couple washes.. I miss the old formula... m ylady liked it so much that she found originals online back around 2006 for 350.00 for the bottle. Of course I still have a little left as its used for special occasions.. lol...
    Yes. I agree, it surprised me the weak longevity. The original must be great

Banned

i see some bottles have extrordinary for men cologne on bottom...usually splash and some have eau de toillete....how do you know from label without code on it whats vintage..

Sound Scents

Well, certainly the originals had the "Extraordinary Cologne" moniker, and not edt. If it is a splash, that would also be a good sign as I don't know of any current splash bottles (that said, all my originals weren't splash bottles either). Splash bottles were much more common around the time of its original release. If I remember correctly the very first GfM bottles released were made in France and had a removable sprayer, but those are *extremely* rare and stratospherically expensive.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Still strong and lasting to my nose- even in the current version, at least personally speaking

Always be smelling

Well, certainly the originals had the "Extraordinary Cologne" moniker, and not edt. If it is a splash, that would also be a good sign as I don't know of any current splash bottles (that said, all my originals weren't splash bottles either). Splash bottles were much more common around the time of its original release. If I remember correctly the very first GfM bottles released were made in France and had a removable sprayer, but those are *extremely* rare and stratospherically expensive.
    I thought the first GfM were made in USA. They did have screw top sprayer.

Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

Sound Scents

There were a small batch that were made in France. Like I said, they are *extremely* rare.
    Current Top Favorites:
    4)

6)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)