Code of Conduct

Thread: Primrose

Default Primrose

My wife returned home last night from a foreign trip. Immediately after she got through the front door a wrist was trust towards me as she exclaimed, "what do you think of this, I would really like to get it". What I got was a really powerful and sharp floral scent (care of the airport duty-free shop) that had apparently been applied over 12 hours earlier, Issey Miyake - A Scent. I took the smell to be primrose but on further research I'm lead to believe I was smelling hyacinth.

I have to say I wasn't overly impressed, and at 70 ($110) / bottle it's a little expensive for a designer fragrance. She asked if I could find other fragrances with the same flower up front.

Has anybody come into contact with 'A Scent' that can tell me what the floral element is?

Default Re: Primrose

Funny you should ask...I just got Parfum de Nicolai Le Temps d'Une Fete (which is green and gorgeous with hyacinth) and Sofresh here asked me if I had tried A Scent yet, as he found them quite similar. I have not had a chance to sniff it, but I trust his opinion and look forward to trying A Scent this week to compare.

Guessing the Le Temps d'Une Fete is a more beautifully composed perfume given the quality of scents from PdN. I am in love with this perfume

Issey Miyake A Scent
    : lemon verbena, fresh notes, galbanum, hyacinth, jasmine, cedarwood, crystal moss

PdN Le Temps d'Une Fete
    : galbanum, mastic, opoponax, narcissus, hyacinth, daffodil, styrax, oakmoss, sandalwood

Not saving you any money with PdN.....
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Funny you should ask...I just got Parfum de Nicolai Le Temps d'Une Fete (which is green and gorgeous with hyacinth) and Sofresh here asked me if I had tried A Scent yet, as he found them quite similar. I have not had a chance to sniff it, but I trust his opinion and look forward to trying A Scent this week to compare.

Guessing the Le Temps d'Une Fete is a more beautifully composed perfume given the quality of scents from PdN. I am in love with this perfume

Issey Miyake A Scent: lemon verbena, fresh notes, galbanum, hyacinth, jasmine, cedarwood, crystal moss

PdN Le Temps d'Une Fete: galbanum, mastic, opoponax, narcissus, hyacinth, daffodil, styrax, oakmoss, sandalwood

Not saving you any money with PdN.....
    Oh naughty girl... you are so giving me ideas- the PdN sounds wonderful - green,galbanum ( love glabanum ) hyacinth- similar to Bluebell by Pennies !
    Have you tried Delicate by Boadicea The Victorious - something else along the green ' bluebell' line.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th September 2009 at 10:14 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Oh naughty girl... you are so giving me ideas- the PdN sounds wonderful - green,galbanum ( love glabanum ) hyacinth- similar to Bluebell by Pennies !
    Have you tried Delicate by Boadicea The Victorious - something else along the green ' bluebell' line.
    Oh you are equally naughty! Bluebell is something I've been dying to get. Now I want it even more!

And no, have not tried the Boadicea TV.

Oh my gosh Bluebell is calling my name
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

I know , 3xasif , I know , it's calling both our names. I sold my Bluebell and now I have to order some more ... We are in the same boat..... !
    Bluebell equals London to me and swanning around Fortnum and Mason's , hanging out in Green Park ...... and walking through the near mythical bluebell woods in Dorset during April / May time, early morning ,on meditation walks. Wonderful . I still have a picture of a yoga friend of mine who made me smile a great deal - she loved skipping ,yes, skipping through the bluebell woods, tree hugging !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 7th September 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    I know , 3xasif , I know , it's calling both our names. I sold my Bluebell and now I have to order some more ... We are in the same boat..... !
    Bluebell equals London to me and swanning around Fortnum and Mason's , hanging out in Green Park ...... and walking through the near mythical bluebell woods in Dorset during April / May time, early morning ,on meditation walks. Wonderful . I still have a picture of a yoga friend of mine who made me smile a great deal - she loved skipping ,yes, skipping through the bluebell woods, tree hugging !
    I sold Nanadebary Pink last year and just ordered a new bottle What is wrong with us LOL

That English Bluebell imagery is working it's magic! Poetic!

Sorry to hijack thread adowds!
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Basenotes Institution

Don't know 3xasif ! If only I knew. I fall out of love with something ,then to yearn for it again , crazy !
    Well Fracas , Bluebell and I , The Mighty Trio will not be parted again !

If you're looking for a green floral, you might try Crown Perfumery's Crown Bouquet EDP. It starts with a burst of green top notes and floral middle notes.

Some retailers offer it (1.7 oz.) for $85.00 (Parfums Raffy) while FragranceX offered it for $18.95.

This is still cheaper than "A Scent."

As Crown Perfumery is no more, this is getting harder to find.

Here is the official description:
    A fragrance to uplift, inspire and refresh ones senses, capturing the spring white flowers and greens of Galbanum, Orange Blossom, Gardenia and Hyacinth, Tuberose and Greens. Crown Bouquet is "the greenest of green flower gardens". One should not only smell the pretty petals of the bouquet, but "sense all the characteristics that come with a freshly cut bunch of flowers: green leaves, earthy roots, the freshness of the few remaining water pearls clinging to its cut stems
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Primrose sweetie, that does sound enticing ! Galbanum ! Tuberose, Gardenia ! all in one perfume - wonderful. Thank you for that ! ( I don't find Parfums Raffy cheap either especially after the rising CA sales tax ! )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th September 2009 at 05:08 AM.

I'll second that- the Crown scent DOES sound amazing
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I don't think A Scent and Le Temps d'une Fete are alike at all, to be honest. The PdN is heavy in narcissus which is rich and slightly spicy. A Scent is light and slightly soapy. And, incidentally, PdN is really not very expensive--$40 for a 30 ml bottle is cheaper than many designer frags. However, it doesn't help if it is not the right substitute!

Anyway, back to A Scent--it seems like a next generation L'eau d'Issey. I'll dig out my sample and wear it today to see if I get any more impressions.

I was told once you get past the slightly aquatic top notes of A Scent that is where some similarity comes in. But, I will certainly have to test for myself.

Apparently PdN is much better than A Scent, but that's just a matter of opinion of course

I forgot about those 30ml bottles. Wish more houses offered this option.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

My my, lots of replies. Thanks for the help girls.

I can lay my hands on a new 50ml bottle of Crown Bouquet for €20 + shipping. I do notice though that Crown Bouquet is also know as 'Crab Apple Blossom' here on Basenotes, with a 'Crown' Ess and Court 'Bouquet' also being available. Is it definitely the former of the 3 fragrances that I should be getting.

Looking forward to reading how you got on today with 'A Scent' Asha
    Last edited by adowds; 8th September 2009 at 04:39 PM.

It isn't going to help your budget, but I was immediately struck by the resemblance between Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois and this one.

Issey Miyake A Scent: lemon verbena, fresh notes, galbanum, hyacinth, jasmine, cedarwood, crystal moss

Fleurs de Bois: Galbanum, grass, lemon, green mandarin, rosemary, rose, jasmine, iris, oakmoss, patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, myrrh and birch.

Okay, so it is only four notes in common, but the resemblance seemed quite striking to me!
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 8th September 2009 at 05:12 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    It isn't going to help your budget, but I was immediately struck by the resemblance between Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois and this one.

Fleurs de Bois: Galbanum, grass, lemon, green mandarin, rosemary, rose, jasmine, iris, oakmoss, patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, myrrh and birch.

Okay, so it is only four notes in common, but the resemblance seemed quite striking to me!
    Yes I can see that, some of the other notes (beyond the four in bold) are similar. On the other end of the price spectrum is Estee Lauder - Pure White Linen similar

There are two Estee Lauder fragrances that remind me of A Scent:

Pure White Linen--start is much less bitter and stemmy green than A Scent. PWL is more juicy summer fruits and floral to start, but the drydown is a "laundry soap" floral that is in the same vein as A Scent. Also, it is MUCH less aldehydic than the original White Linen.

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss--has a bitter galbanum start like A Scent only better, and is a much more beautiful floral (if it works on your skin) later in the drydown. It is less soapy and musky, more ambery in the drydown.

Others which share some similarities:

Shiseido Zen in the new golden cube--soapy white florals, soft woods and white musk

Shiseido Zen Summer Edition in the new white cube--not as soapy as Zen, more summer fruits, but still with the soft woods and musk

Carolina Herrera 212 (original)--clean white florals and white musk in the base

Chanel Cristalle--I have the EDP, and it is quite similar to Estee Lauder PCJWM. It starts with galbanum, has a floral heart and mossy base. I like it better than the EL, but I thought the EL was much cleaner and more modern overall. Since she seems to like the soapy florals in A Scent, I'd suggest the EL first, but to also try Cristalle alongside it. The new Cristalle Eau Verte is terrible in comparison to the original, so I'd not bother unless she wants to smell like a "fresh scent" air deodorizer spray.

I'm not sure the prices are much better on the ones I suggested. I'd have to say to each his own, but I did not find A Scent very remarkable. I can understand not wanting to pay full retail for this one. Incidentally, on the pricey end of things, if she really likes green fragrances, she might like Chanel Bel Respiro.
    Last edited by Asha; 9th September 2009 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    There are two Estee Lauder fragrances that remind me of A Scent:

Pure White Linen--start is much less bitter and stemmy green than A Scent. PWL is more juicy summer fruits and floral to start, but the drydown is a "laundry soap" floral that is in the same vein as A Scent. Also, it is MUCH less aldehydic than the original White Linen.

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss--has a bitter galbanum start like A Scent only better, and is a much more beautiful floral (if it works on your skin) later in the drydown. It is less soapy and musky, more ambery in the drydown.

Others which share some similarities:

Shiseido Zen in the new golden cube--soapy white florals, soft woods and white musk

Shiseido Zen Summer Edition in the new white cube--not as soapy as Zen, more summer fruits, but still with the soft woods and musk

Carolina Herrera 212 (original)--clean white florals and white musk in the base

Chanel Cristalle--I have the EDP, and it is quite similar to Estee Lauder PCJWM. It starts with galbanum, has a floral heart and mossy base. I like it better than the EL, but I thought the EL was much cleaner and more modern overall. Since she seems to like the soapy florals in A Scent, I'd suggest the EL first, but to also try Cristalle alongside it. The new Cristalle Eau Verte is terrible in comparison to the original, so I'd not bother unless she wants to smell like a "fresh scent" air deodorizer spray.

I'm not sure the prices are much better on the ones I suggested. I'd have to say to each his own, but I did not find A Scent very remarkable. I can understand not wanting to pay full retail for this one. Incidentally, on the pricey end of things, if she really likes green fragrances, she might like Chanel Bel Respiro.
    What a considered reply Asha, thanks for putting so much time and effort into it. My wife says thanks and thanks again from me too.

Personally I hate the A Scent terribly. My wife likes and wears my PS - Story, Guerlain Vetiver, and Mugler Cologne, so I can see that it's important for her to buy something that's 'hers'. This is going to be her first purchase in the 6 years I've known her, and I don't want to tell her that I hate the fragrance that she's thinking about. The hope is that there's a less bitter and plain variation alternative.

If she likes Mugler Cologne, I would recommend the Cristalle EDT not the EDP. Although she should probably sniff them, but the EDP (a newer formula and not much like the EDT at all) is bit sweeter. I adore Cristalle and was sold the EDP by an SA who told me it was the same as the EDT with more lasting power. I swapped it away almost immediately as it was nothing like the gorgeous Cristalle. But she should try both!

*whispers* EL Jasmine White Moss is a weak imitation of Cristalle EDT- the Cristalle is more sparkly and fizzy and more beautifully composed in my humble opinion

Sounds like she enjoys a clean musk scent with green notes. She might want to try Balmain Vent Vert (the 2nd formulation, available for a song online and at perfume discounters) it is gorgeous, fresh and green. Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint is also fresh, green and pretty.

Has she tried L'Artisan Parfumeur Premier Figuier Extreme? Chewy crisp green and gorgeous.
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

3xasif, I like Cristalle better than PCJWM also, but I have the EDP. I think it holds its own, but if there is easy access to Cristalle EDP and EDT, that would be a good comparison, too.

adowds, the bitter galbanum is actually the best part of A Scent, lol! I agree that when it is not balanced by something substantial, it can seem really rough, however. The PdN frag mentioned earlier (Le Temps d'Une Fete) has great balance (as does Cristalle), but the PdN is a heavier floral fragrance.

Make sure you let us know how she fares! Good idea to move her into high quality asap Anyway, if she REALLY wants A Scent without the galbanum, EL Pure White Linen was nearly a dead ringer. Thankfully, it comes in a 30 ml size.
    Last edited by Asha; 10th September 2009 at 04:19 AM.

Asha & mysticknot maybe we should start a Galbanum Lover's Group
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

There are quite a few green lovers here--Quarry, purplebird, Dullah and Odysseum also come to mind. I think Ody has already started a Coneheads social group.
    Last edited by Asha; 10th September 2009 at 01:25 PM.

Thanks again to all. I will be sure to report back.