Code of Conduct

Default Why doesn't fragrance last on my skin?

Whatever I use seems to only last for about 30 minutes and then it's dead and nobody nor myself can smell it. I have tried nearly everything out there.

Any recommendations and tips?

Thank you

Default Re: Why doesn't fragrance last on my skin?

Do you have dry skin? Mine is rather dry, and I get nowhere near the longevity that my friend, who has oily skin, does. It lasts longer than a half hour, though.

If dry skin is the case, then applying some unscented oil (jojoba works well) or lotion before applying fragrance can help.

Also, I'm not sure when you apply your fragrance. For longevity, it's best to apply right before leaving the house, as opposed to right after a shower or bath.

Finally, here's a recent thread on a similar question, with some good answers: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=235458
    Last edited by BlackCat; 8th September 2009 at 06:14 AM.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Also if you have dry skin. Exfoliate your body at least twice a week.

Query have you asked different people if they can smell your fragrance or just the one person?

If the answer is the latter could be they are used to it as you are and cannot smell it.

I heard some once say a tiny bit of vasalene(sp) on the wrist will hold the fragrance.

Also some of the modern fragrances are really light and don't last. Philosophy are stuff a brand and not worth even buying.
    DONNA

Good tips. Thanks so much ladies. Any more tips very welcomed.

it is possible that you have higher body temperature than other people, this is the case for me.
    my solution is apply on chest (inside clothes) so the scent won't get away that easy, also i can smell it all day long...

Quote Originally Posted by Najwa View Post
    Whatever I use seems to only last for about 30 minutes and then it's dead and nobody nor myself can smell it. I have tried nearly everything out there.

Any recommendations and tips?

Thank you
    A few tips i find useful. Firstly don't wear the same frag everyday. that will cause olfactory fatigue. Secondly, try spraying under clothes to minimize evaporation of the frag. Also u could try spraying less or none at all to the neck as it is too close to the nose. I like a cloud of scent all the time so i go for neck sprays. Depends on your preference. Hope that helps u.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Someone here at BN has posted a method for making fragrance last. I read it a while back, tried it, and it works. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was, but maybe someone else will, or try a search. Anyway, the basic advice was a) exfoliate, b) moisturise well, and c) RUB your fragrance into your skin. Spray on a lot and smooth it in. Sounds nuts, but I can testify that it works. I have dry skin and had trouble w/longevity and now I can still smell most fragrances when I wake up the following morning.

PS - Just saw your flag - my DH grew up in Abu Dhabi!
    Last edited by angelica; 8th September 2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: added info

Post Re: Why doesn't fragrance last on my skin?

Quote Originally Posted by angelica View Post
    Someone here at BN has posted a method for making fragrance last. I read it a while back, tried it, and it works. I'm sorry I can't remember who it was, but maybe someone else will, or try a search. Anyway, the basic advice was a) exfoliate, b) moisturise well, and c) RUB your fragrance into your skin. Spray on a lot and smooth it in. Sounds nuts, but I can testify that it works. I have dry skin and had trouble w/longevity and now I can still smell most fragrances when I wake up the following morning.

PS - Just saw your flag - my DH grew up in Abu Dhabi!

The method that angelica is referring to is probably the one Divatologist
    recommends !
    " Men are like roses, watch out for the pricks." ~
    ~Unknown

" My soul travels on the smell of perfume like the souls of other men on music" ~ Charles Baudelaire 1821-1867 French Poet, critic.

" Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another; " What ! You, too ? Thought I was the only one."~~Clive Staples Lewis

I agree, dry skin is probably the culprit. I have the same problem. If I really want a frag to last all day (vs reapplying or changing fragrances), jojoba oil is very good, as well as spraying the clothing. My spouse has oily skin, and it is not unusual for a frag to last more than 24 hours with him.
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Quote Originally Posted by LeNez View Post
    The method that angelica is referring to is probably the one Divatologist
    recommends !
    Yes! Now that you mention the name I recognise it. Thank you!