Code of Conduct

Default Large Size Terre d'Hermes Pure Perfume

Hermes is marketing its new Terre d'Hermes pure perfume in two sizes, the largest of which is 6.7 oz (200 ml). This seems rather unusual, since the largest size of a woman's perfume is typically 1 oz. It's price per ml is also a lot less than a woman's perfume. The large size costs approximately the same as a bottle of one of the Chanel Exclusifs, and they are only EDTs and not perfumes. I am wondering what the rationale is for offering such a large size.

Default Re: Large Size Terre d'Hermes Pure Perfume

This is just begging for a scent split. Frankly, I'm excited.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Sorry, I can't seem to be able to find 200ml size of Parfum anywhere. Can someone please post a link?

Thanks
    I don't know if there is a link anywhere yet for online ordering, but the sizes being sold in stores are 75ml and 200ml.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Luxury stores like Hermes, have always offered these kinds of high ticket items. Before the TDH parfum was released, you could easily go into any Hermes boutique and buy a large 200 ml frosted bottle of many of the fragrances.

I remember talking to one of the SA's about this, and they said that some of their customers buy them (obviously, very rich customers) to use as decoration in their bathroom, etc. Not really for application.

Of course, this is something that most of us at Basenotes cannot fathom.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    Hermes is marketing its new Terre d'Hermes pure perfume in two sizes, the largest of which is 6.7 oz (200 ml). This seems rather unusual, since the largest size of a woman's perfume is typically 1 oz. It's price per ml is also a lot less than a woman's perfume. The large size costs approximately the same as a bottle of one of the Chanel Exclusifs, and they are only EDTs and not perfumes. I am wondering what the rationale is for offering such a large size.
    Jean-Claude Ellena said in an interview:

“There is a very obvious, easy way to show quality, Ellena says. You either increase the price or you increase the size. These are both very visual interpretations of luxury and the eyes play an important role in the luxury market. As to whether a big bottle has any real relevance, if there is a demand for it from the customer base, then why not? I don’t find it a bad thing in itself assuming there is a use for it.”

He wasn't talking about Terre specifically, but I think that's a good pointer to any 'rationale'.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 8th September 2009 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't know if there is a link anywhere yet for online ordering, but the sizes being sold in stores are 75ml and 200ml.

Mate...how much is the retail on 200ml Parfum? Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Large Size Terre d'Hermes Pure Perfume

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    I own a bottle of 200 ml of EdT, but i do not know anything about a large size of pure perfume. I only know a spray of 75 ml of EdP. Also there are bottles of 400 ml of EdT, but when i purchased mine, the size of 400 ml was not available, i.e. out of stock
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post

“There is a very obvious, easy way to show quality, Ellena says. You either increase the price or you increase the size. These are both very visual interpretations of luxury and the eyes play an important role in the luxury market.
    Wow, what a superficial view on luxury Ellena has. I much prefer the poetic things Serge Lutens has to say about "luxury". The above is just so...conventional...prosaic...mundane. After reading that I have no intention anymore to try the parfum-version of Terre d'Hermès or any other Ellena-creation. Don't like them anyway.

Sur la Plage

Mate...how much is the retail on 200ml Parfum? Thanks
    $196 + any applicable state sales tax.

How many would you like Sir?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    $196 + any applicable state sales tax.

How many would you like Sir?
    That can't be right, for parfum?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    You're right.

It is $198.

Blog Entries

Well then, it's a bargain, I guess. Does TdH really need to be stronger? And I wonder if the parfum is any better, smoother?

You only think so because you've been conditioned by Chanel, Guerlain, etc. into accepting the ridiculously high prices they have set for extraits. Extraits are typically only twice as concentrated as EDPs at the most, so let's say from that perspective that a 1oz bottle of perfume should cost as much as a 2oz bottle of EDP. Naturally, other things make the perfume more expensive such as better ingredients (not always!), more expensive packaging, smaller production, etc... Still, the price difference is way out of proportion.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

“There is a very obvious, easy way to show quality, Ellena says. You either increase the price or you increase the size.
    '.
    Taking into consideration the daily 500-600 spams offering increase of size, it must be the easier way.

Well then, it's a bargain, I guess. Does TdH really need to be stronger? And I wonder if the parfum is any better, smoother?
    A few opinions here which may answer your questions:

ScentedSalamanda

PeredePierre

SomervilleMetroMan
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 9th September 2009 at 12:36 AM.

A few opinions here which may answer your questions:

ScentedSalamanda

PeredePierre

SomervilleMetroMan

mate...any idea if this has hit Australia yet?

I would definitely like to try this out.

mate...any idea if this has hit Australia yet?

I would definitely like to try this out.

Gupts - I rang the Hermes boutique in Melbourne and was told "sometime in October - initally in the boutique only, and then department stores".

If that's correct, then you'd expect it to be in the department stores and fragrance retailers in time for Christmas sales. I didn't ask about price - figuring they probably wouldn't know anyway.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 9th September 2009 at 01:08 AM.

Gupts - I rang the Hermes boutique in Melbourne and was told "sometime in October - initally in the boutique only, and then department stores".

If that's correct, then you'd expect it to be in the department stores and fragrance retailers in time for Christmas sales. I didn't ask about price - figuring they probably wouldn't know anyway.
    Thanks for the info mate...

This surely looks like a nice candidate for a split

Bump -

Gupts (and Trufflehunter) - you should now find the T d'H Pure Perfume in DJs.

$150 for 75ml - I haven't inquired about the large size.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 3rd November 2009 at 01:58 AM.

Blog Entries

There is also an interesting thing I've discovered about these "stronger" versions - in many cases, I actually use them faster. For instance, I'm burning through my Guerlain Homme EDP Intense at several times the speed of my EDT, which I bought much earlier and wore many more times. My thinking is that the EDTs often have greater peak projection due to greater overall volatility. On the contrary, the EDP / Intense / Extreme version may wear very close, allowing me to use a bit more of it and get the same projection with greater longevity. It will be interesting to see if I have the same experience with the parfum version of TdH, which (as the EDT) happens to be a favorite of mine.

Bump -

Gupts (and Trufflehunter) - you should now find the T d'H Pure Perfume in DJs.

$150 for 75ml - I haven't inquired about the large size.
    Thanks for the info mate...but I was in DJ Southland today but didn't find it there....
    Will try to look for it in Chadstone soon....hopefully it'd be there.....

I checked this morning with DJs in Adelaide. According to the shop assistant the 75ml is the only size the parfum comes in. She didn't really know they had it - and the bottles are very similar so one needs to look carefully.

I have a couple of shots on the wrist - the Parfum opens a little differently to the EDT - the orange/citrus is 'lifted' or cleaner, but after that it settles almost identically to the EDT. With the advertising tag line as 'A new density' I was anticipating something with a little more oomph.

From the blurb:

"A new density of the classic Terre d'Hermes eau de toilette, Terre d'Hermes pure perfume carves out a new path in the universe of men's fragrances. This elegantly masculine scent underscores the facets of both mineral and woody blends by amplifying the vivacious sparkle of citrus scents with a note of shiso - a distinctive oriental spice with a zesty minty aroma."

I have worn the parfum a few times over the last month or two and also gone back to the original EDT to see how that feels now in hindsight, so to speak.

The difference is not about oooph or projection or longevity as far as I can make out. I don't have a great deal of experience comparing EDT / EDP / Parfum Extraits because I mainly wear stuff marketed to men and there ain't much, frankly, so it's unchartered territory.

From what I have observed with women's perfumery the difference between EDT & Parfum is not generally about power or amping up the volume either (in general). In other words parfum does not equal 'Intense' as we see that term used in some men's scents. (Please keep in mind I'm using 'Women's' & 'Men's' as descriptives from marketing - we all know scent is genderless etc. etc.)

Again, just from my own limited comparison of women's EDT / EDP & Parfum, it's usually the EDP that is most in your face and the parfum is generally more of an extended, perhaps deeper and richer, variation on a theme.

So - with TdH my take on these is that the original is still great - I have always really liked this scent for it's originality and it's effervescence - and the parfum offers a less fizzy but in some ways more satisfying rendition of the idea.

Where the EDT sparkles and then sort of settles, I find the the quality of TdH that I like quietly stays put longer with the parfum and I finally noticed the shiso note, which I suspect does help to maintain the citrus quality.

I have always really liked the Japanese sweets that come wrapped in a shiso leaf - particularly the red bean paste. Shiso is decribed as a relation of mint and fennel - it's more herbal, but I think used in TdH parfum it helps to hold and underscore the 'life' of the scent . . . it's subtle but seems to appear, go, then reappear in the latter stages.

I went back to my much loved EDT tonight and compared to the parfum it actually feels a bit coarse now. That's fine - it is a jump out of the bottle kind of scent and I like it for that burst of energy - but I am getting a better handle on these two and my respect for what JCE is doing here has grown. It's not as if it's the first time he has revisited a piece of work and extended or shifted emphasis (Declaration being a classic example).

Of course I may be deluding myself and this may all be a ton of h.... s... BUT I reckon if you like the original the parfum is a really nice, slightly laid back and ultimately maybe even more satisfying brew. Some might say it's overkill to own both but I don't think so at all . . . cheers.

i just got the 75 ml bottle in, here its €75 which is around $110

the 200 ml is around $190