Code of Conduct

Question Best anti aging serum?

I'm looking to start regularly using an anti aging serum on my face. Being 38, I'm starting my mid life crisis and want to try to stop looking too old too fast. Of course I know I can't stop the inevitable.

I already do know that daily exercise, sun protection, no drinking and smoking, and a healthy diet rich in protein and anti oxidants (i.e., fruit and nuts) are the best defense.

I have already starting using a pricey product... Murad's Intensive Resurfacing Peel. This is a three day per week product that you put on then wash off.

I am looking to add a daily leave on serum to this regime. I have super oily skin so a moisturizer is not only unnecessary but will probably have undesirable effects.

These are the serums I have been looking at so far:
    • Prevage MD: This seems to be available only from plastic surgeons and dermatologists. It's like $110 from them. There are some places selling it on Amazon and eBay for $50 - $60, but it's hard to tell if the product is genuine. There's no ingredients list, and the stated main active ingredient - idebenone (a form of CoQ10) - is supposedly imported from Japan and its biological source is also unknown. There also seem to be a lot of people saying it causes severe reactions on them after weeks to months of usage.

• Murad Intensive Wrinkle Reducer: Seems to be a good complement to the other Murad product I am using, plus people seem to respond positively to it. There's no clinical information on it, so it's pretty much only backed by Dr. Murad's "good reputation."

• Dermagevity Skinlastin: Looks impressive, and is currently the number one rated product by The Beauty Insiders. However, all of the information I seem to be able to find about it online seems to be "shill" posts touting how amazing the product is. I suspect that the rating on The Beauty Insider's site may also be a "shill" rating, and just the possibility of that really turns me off.

• La Mer Face Lifting Serum: Looks impressive, has the kelp derived ingredients originally developed by Max Huber to treat his severe chemical burns, but is EXTREMELY expensive at $235 per ounce ($315 if you get the "Lifting Intensifier" with it). It *may* perform just as well as other cheaper products, but I'm not really sure (hence my post).

• Origins Youthtopia: Looks good, is reasonably priced (when compared to others), but may not be the best performing product available.

I'm very interested in hearing other's opinions!
    Last edited by Neurotic Scientist; 8th September 2009 at 12:08 AM.

Default Re: Best anti aging serum?

Wear moisturizer (made for those with oily skin) and makeup with sunscreen. And don't forget your neck...I "forgot" for years and now my neck looks 20yrs older than my face! The Avon anti-aging products are excellent and a great value. The products are made by the L'Oreal/Lancome people but are so much less expensive. Just stick to a sensible, easy, affordable routine and you will be fine.

Question Re: Best anti aging serum?

Are there any specific Avon products that you have had experience with and like? There are a lot of different Avon products.

Also keep in mind I am male. Although, I am not at all against wearing a sheer foundation. When I was in my 20's I used to wear Janet Sartin Dual Performance Treatment Makeup all the time.

(No, I am not gay nor would I consider myself "metrosexual!" )

Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.

After that, well, if it's anti-ageing you want, you can't go past Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair. The new release is the Synchronized Recovery Complex.

Can I also make a pitch for the new-ish Lancome Genifique Youth Activator? A “youth activator.” Not a serum. Not a lotion. It goes on after cleansing, and before your serum. What’s another 30 seconds?

I really recommend both of these.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 8th September 2009 at 01:44 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Suncreen- I totally agree.
    Also Clarins Generation 6 serum is wonderful . SK II products are wonderful too- they DO really make a difference.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have oily skin--the best sunscreen for face I have found is Prescriptives Px. It is not a cream--it is pure liquid sunscreen, and it does not make my face oilier like many other sunscreen products do.

I think the Estee Lauder Night Repair is a great idea, and I have used it with good effect. I tend to prefer the Chanel serums, though, and my favorite is Hydramax, but only at night since it would be too much moisture for daywear. Also, Kinerase makes a product called Clear Skin Moisture Light which is great for light oil-control moisture in the dry months of the year.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    SK II products are wonderful too- they DO really make a difference.
    Oh yes... I have a number of friends, guys included, who die by SK II.

Basenotes Institution

My mother uses SK II - she's * ahem* in her late late 60s ( sorry Mommy ! ) and she has wonderful ,wrinkle free ,peachy skin due to SK II . She swears by it- not easy to find in the US though.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th September 2009 at 05:53 AM.

Which SK II products specifically?

Basenotes Institution

SK II Facial Treatment Essence also lovingly nicknamed 'Miracle Water' by fans. ( Trivia : SK II is owned by Max Factor and made in Japan ) Cate Blanchett is a spokesperson for the brand I believe.
    http://www.bellasugar.com/870969

Other products include eye creams and gels, the usual lotions cleansers, other serums ,exquisite masks that you put on your face and you look like Micheal Myers from Halloween . I use those and scare my husband !
    They are pricey products but they work very very well.
    SK II contains Pitera .Here's a little article....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...se.html?cat=69
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 8th September 2009 at 07:05 AM.

Anti-aging is a comprehensive name for several products that can make you look less worn out by time:

1) Exfoliators - I prefer chemical peels, as it's more even. Look for products with Alpha or Beta Hydroxy Acids. I like Paula's Choice's exfoliators.

2) Retinol - find a good retinol product

3) Vitamin C / Antioxidant serum

and prevention is the best defense:

4) A good sunscreen. US-based people are at disadvantage here, as avobenzone is their only chemical blocker available to block UVA rays. In Europe, there's much more choice. However, try to look for a product with stabilized UVA, such as Neutrogena's Helioplex, Avo-Triplex, Sunsure, etc. You can just forget about the product if it doesn't indicate stabilized UVA protection.

Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide are mineral sunscreen blockers that are inherently stable. But they often leave a white cast on your face, as they reflect sunlight, instead of absorbing it.

As you see, I like to shop by active ingredient(s), not by brand. Often the higher end brands charge you big heap $$ for the same active ingredients as drugstore brands.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 9th September 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

http://www.skinactives.com/

And don't forget facial exercises. They really work. Give yourself a month to notice the difference.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=225365
    Last edited by adonis; 8th September 2009 at 08:01 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Best anti aging serum?

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    That is very, very, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    And don't forget facial exercises. They really work. Give yourself a month to notice the difference.

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=225365
    Also very, very interesting. I have looked into the Suzanne Somers Facemaster, but excercises seem a lot cheaper.

I looked at my Prescriptives--it is called All-Weather Friend, UVA/UVB Protection SPF 40. However, it does not have the ingredient mentioned my Stereotomy (active ingredients are Oxtinoxate and Titanium Dioxide).

I love the Neutragena sunscreens, but they are much to greasy for my face, so I only use them from the neck down

I would recomend the USANA line called Sense'.

Up until a year or two ago, I used skincare like Estee Lauder's Night Repair and Idealist, Chanel's Age Delay, Shiseido's Future Solution and others. I never noticed that they improved or transformed my skin in any way.

Now I only use natural oils on my face. Olive oil, almond oil, apricot kernel oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil, etc. Any edible quality oil, really. My skin is looking better and healthier compared to a few years ago, so I will absolutely continue using oils. A big bonus is that it's also a lot less expensive than buying a ton of skincare products!

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

Best anti-ageing? Prescription only tretinoin (vitamin A). The only proven way to reduce wrinkles. For prevention just use SPF30 in your moisteuriser.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

The problem is I have no idea how to go about getting a prescription for something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I looked at my Prescriptives--it is called All-Weather Friend, UVA/UVB Protection SPF 40. However, it does not have the ingredient mentioned my Stereotomy (active ingredients are Oxtinoxate and Titanium Dioxide).
    Octinoxate is a UVB blocking sunscreen ingredient, and Titanium Dioxide is a UVB and partly UVA-blocking mineral ingredient. I think you pretty much got your whole UVB spectrum covered (so less chance of sunburn) but aging comes from UVA-rays and that part could be better, especially in the longer wave lengths.

Having said that, this stuff is already much better than wearing nothing. If you're happy with it, keep slapping it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    The problem is I have no idea how to go about getting a prescription for something like that.
    You can try and get retinal(dehyde) or a high concentration retinol product.

In your skin, this cascade is happening:

retinyl acetate - retinol - retinal - retinoic acid ( = tretinoin)

If topically applied, the left being most gentle but weak, and tretinoin being the harshest but strongest. You might want to look into an over the counter retinal product. I like Avène's products, called Retrinal and Eluage. A stronger retinol product might also be of your liking, such as Green Cream.

But yes, retinol and the likes are one of the few scientifically proven, brand-independent active ingredients that can reduce wrinkles and give your face a plumpier appearance. Retinol is a sun sensitizer and it degrades in sunlight, so always wear your retinol products at night and during the day, use a broad spectrum sunscreen.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 9th September 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    I think in your country you can buy a retinol product without prescription ? In addition to those already mentioned (Avene), you might try Skin Ceuticals refining night cream with 1% retinol.

Neutragena's 'Healthy Skin Anti Wrinkle Cream' contains retinol also. Dig around, I'm sure you'll find some others and they will do the job.

Avalon Organics Vitamin C serum has a nice light texture and good ingredients, also like Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum. I use microdermabrasion for exfoliation because I have sensitive skin.

Nothing I have ever tried has come close to Olay Regenerist. I use the eye formula and the facial formula and I'm feeling pretty smooth for my age

I agree 100%. By far the most powerful thing you can use. Whatever it's called, Retin-A,Renova,Tazorac, Avita,etc. as long as it is tretinoin, it's the same thing. You can find it in micro form, gels, creams,lotions and liquid form and even a modified version that is milder to the skin, (and doesn't work as well for anti-ageing) called adapalene. You must use sun screen because it causes photosensitivity and you will likely need a moisturizer with some versions because it can cause dryness. Unfortunately the OTC retinol/vitamin a products do not work as well nor do the alpha or beta hydroxy acids.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Best anti-ageing? Prescription only tretinoin (vitamin A). The only proven way to reduce wrinkles. For prevention just use SPF30 in your moisteuriser.
    Last edited by evogel; 10th September 2009 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    nor do the alpha or beta hydroxy acids.

These are two seperate things.

Alpha/Beta hydroxy acids have a keratolytic effect, shedding the upper dead skin cells, so fine wrinkles appear smoother and the overall appearance of your face brightens. This is their primary cosmetic property, although AHAs also have a positive effect on collagen and elastin production and BHAs have anti-inflammatory properties. Both are proven cosmetic ingredients.

Retinoids also have a keratolytic effect, but the primary mode of action is to stimulate skin growth, cell turnover and collagen production.

It's pretty harsh to recommend someone tretinoin, because it's powerful and it can have some serious side effects. It's not for nothing it's prescription only.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 10th September 2009 at 10:31 PM.

I hear you but used under the care of a physician, (I am only familiar with US policy), it is the most potent measure to prevent skin aging.
    Keratolysis will work for this to an extent but as you mention the mode of action of a retinoid is ultimately better for skin repair and prevention of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post

These are two seperate things.

Alpha/Beta hydroxy acids have a keratolytic effect, shedding the upper dead skin cells, so fine wrinkles appear smoother and the overall appearance of your face brightens. This is their primary cosmetic property, although AHAs also have a positive effect on collagen and elastin production and BHAs have anti-inflammatory properties. Both are proven cosmetic ingredients.

Retinoids also have a keratolytic effect, but the primary mode of action is to stimulate skin growth, cell turnover and collagen production.

It's pretty harsh to recommend someone tretinoin, because it's powerful and it can have some serious side effects. It's not for nothing it's prescription only.

Yeah, I do agree that AHA's and BHA's ultimately are more cosmetics (though BHAs can help acne prone people by exfoliating inside the pore lining) and retinoids (tretioin in particular) are medical treatments.

Tretioin is prescription-only worldwide, afaik. I wouldn't trust scoring a bottle from eBay. Sure worse than getting Green Frich Tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Yeah, I do agree that AHA's and BHA's ultimately are more cosmetics (though BHAs can help acne prone people by exfoliating inside the pore lining) and retinoids (tretioin in particular) are medical treatments.

Tretioin is prescription-only worldwide, afaik. I wouldn't trust scoring a bottle from eBay. Sure worse than getting Green Frich Tweed.
    Tretinoin (0.25 & 0.5) is easily purchased online through pharmacies that don't require prescription. I'm not advocating that one should...
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

The Anew line is great! I know that this is marketed for women, but skin is skin. Over the years, I have tried ALL of this line.The products work best in tandem. I especially like the day creams and the Anew Ultimate duo for eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Tretinoin (0.25 & 0.5) is easily purchased online through pharmacies that don't require prescription. I'm not advocating that one should...
    I really wouldn't risk ordering tretinoin online. It's serious stuff as it is, who knows what will happen when it's contaminated.

Save your money and get a prescription for Retin-A NOT Renova or something over the counter with a similiar sounding name. It has been scientifically proven to improve skin tone and reduce wrinkles significantly. I was ready to undergo $4000. worth of laser surgery to get rid of the crepey skin and lines around my eyes but was really afraid of the skin pigment discoloration they can cause. I had nothing to lose but the cost of a visit to the dermatologist and the 30 bucks for the ointment- which will last you a minimum of 6 months. It can cause skin irritation during the first couple of weeks but the results are really worth it. I've reesearch a lot of the stuff on the market and if you dig deep enough they all come up with plenty of negative reviews. Your dermatologist will be the first to tell you Retin-A works.

You are right! I have had many experiences with online pharmacies, from plavix to propecia. It's hit or miss and even the highly rated overseas pharmacies will tell u they have all the fancy international drug watchdogs overseeing production but I almost killed my friend recovering from heart surgery with the stuff I was buying for about a year. I DID find some generic propecia that seems to work but only after another big company's did not. Retin-A is irritating as is, before you see results, so you may be doing real harm to your skin with a contaminated, or whatever, product. Buy the tretinoin (generic Retin-A) here, with a prescription. It's cheap and last forever.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Nothing I have ever tried has come close to Olay Regenerist. I use the eye formula and the facial formula and I'm feeling pretty smooth for my age
    Thanks J - I have always wanted to try Regenerist- I just may do so now that you have posted positive feedback on it and yes, your skin is very very good.

Capture Totale by Dior is also excellent, I feel .

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Avalon Organics Vitamin C serum has a nice light texture and good ingredients
    +1 on Avalon Organics Vitamin C Serum it is pretty economical and as some posters mentioned above you want Vitamin c as a component of your face regime and this product does a great job of it.

The woman who does my facial noticed a marked improvement when she took her inital look at my face under the light after I had been using this serum for a month.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Up until a year or two ago, I used skincare like Estee Lauder's Night Repair and Idealist, Chanel's Age Delay, Shiseido's Future Solution and others. I never noticed that they improved or transformed my skin in any way.

Now I only use natural oils on my face. Olive oil, almond oil, apricot kernel oil, macadamia oil, coconut oil, etc. Any edible quality oil, really. My skin is looking better and healthier compared to a few years ago, so I will absolutely continue using oils. A big bonus is that it's also a lot less expensive than buying a ton of skincare products!

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
    Plus one on the oil cleansing method. Use a nonchemical sunblock too (solar RX) Keep in mind that genetics plays a huge role in aging, too, no matter what you do

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the link for the oil cleansing method Tott- I think oil cleansing does really work along with the hot washcloth press etc.
    Some time back ,I used Eve Lom's cleanser with her method which is similar to using a washcloth and it worked wonders. Eve Lom's cleanser was mostly aromatherapy oils ,thick and one pot lasts 6 months easily.
    I will try the oil cleansing method because it makes sense.

Botox. The simplest, best and cheapest (in the long run, of course!). Face lifting serums, and products like that only have it´s mission if you´re merely looking for a Cinderella effect, or are willing to throw out $$$$ on products with quasi-scientifical nonsence terminology, just for the feeling of wellbeing and luxuary.
    This sounds crass, but I really mean it.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Hillaire

My mother swears by a lab science brand she buys in Switzerland called Glycel (I think you can order it here.); it has some funky shizzle in it, like embryonic platypus liver extract and extinct Amazonian orchid pistils (I play), but her skin is insane; it's perfect, and she is close to sixty and moreover very fair.

I hesitate to say this as it's pricey, but I personally like La Prairie products best of all, and though I cannot always afford it (like now), the serum or cream called Cellular Radiance is the best I have used, and literally plumps out the crevasses before my eyes. Like it's seriously amazing.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 11th March 2010 at 12:05 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Hillaire- you are just tempting me with the La Prairie - pumps out crevasses - oh yeah ! A must try....... but the price !

I have acne prone skin and the product i use does a great deal in evening out your skin tone.It feels light and it can easily be applied before putting on makeup.I would recommend using it at night. The total skin care boost came when I started using this Triple Action Vit C Serum.I first started noticing that my skin had a nice healthy glow to it.I finally had some pink in my cheeks and other area on my face that made my skin just glow.I then noticed that the two hard little bumps that have been on my cheek the past year have totally disappeared.

Most places that sell La Mer products will give you samples to try. Their samples will last for a whole month.

Also apple cider vinegar is great as a toner. Mix one part of acv to three parts water and apply with a cotton ball. The smell is not the best but the results will be there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

While there are numerous ways to combat the effects of aging, one of the simplest is to use vitamin C serum. And speaking of Serums, you might want to try the Vitamin C Serum that I am using the Triple Action Vitamin C Serum by VoilaVe. I ordered it from Amazon. This product worked perfectly! It went on very easily and has no fragrance, which is great. After a few days of using it in the morning and evening, I could already see a difference. My skin was smoother, clearer, and I had less fine lines around my eyes. Also, I use moisturizer at night, but during the day I didn't need to use any, because this product really sinks in and does a wonderful job moisturizing. All in all, I thought this serum was a bargain, considering all of the benefits it has. Well worth the purchase!

Thank you for joining and giving us all the benefit of such a glowing testimony, Ashley87.
    ...it's price seems to have been reduced by $50...

I have used Argan oil with good results ... though costly, it is worth the price you spend and known for anti-aging related benefits. It also helps prevent and lighten scars, reduces fine lines, skin pigmentation and age spots.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

You're already using the most important anti-aging product on the market - sunscreen. I like Elta MD spf 46 UV clear - it's very wearable, even with makeup. Aside from this, my favorites are:

1. Tretinoin 0.1% cream
    2. SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex
    3. SkinMedica Ceramide Treatment Cream (moisturizer)
    4. Neocutis Lumiere Rich (eye cream)

I have dry, over 50 skin