Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Violet/violet leaves for men - which one is your favourite?

I have been a violet leaves-junkie since I got my GIT. Since then I have tried (and own some):

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene
    Wonderful violet and musk in the base. Wish it would come as an EdP/oil without the herbal opening. The most priceworthy fragrance ever - if it weren't for the opening, this could be niche with a pricelabel 15-20 times what it costs now - and I would still buy it...

Musc For Him by Narciso Rodriguez
    On me it's mostly about musk, I don't get much violet leaves here. However, it's a wonderful fragrance. Right now, the best in my collection.

For Him by Narciso Rodriguez
    I didn't like it at all. To much wood and too harsh. Where's the violet leaves?

Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe
    I find it too powdery and old fashioned to wear it with comfort. The opening reminds me a bit of Grey Flannel. I still think I'm going to learn to love it one day...

Bois de Violette by Serge Lutens
    Very "perfumy" and a bit too feminine I think. Otherwise very nice. Have only sampled it as a wax sample.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier
    Very fresh, but it's more about citrus than violet.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    To me, the beauty lies in the drydown. It's all about violet leaves and ambergris - it gives some ethereal/smoky character which is hard to describe and even harder to find in other fragrances.

To summarize: Nothing beats GIT when it comes to violet leaves. NR Musc For Him is a masterpiece, but it's not so much about violet leaves. Grey Flannel is the best combination of musc and violet - when the topnotes are gone.

Default Re: Violet/violet leaves for men - which one is your favourite?

Wow, I really have to give these a go, I've been meaning to ask about nice violet frags, and here's what I've been looking for.

wait, no mention of Fahrenheit?
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

ohh you must try Creed's Green Valley too in that case. it's beautiful.

+1 On Green Valley

Don't forget Bleecker Street
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Bois de Violette

Blog Entries

I think one of the most interesting recent takes on violet is the Comme des Garcons-Stephen Jones scent. It is a very modern take on violets and one I really like
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Let's not forget Heeley's Cuir Pleine Fleur (Fine Leather). The notes are: violet, mimosa, birch, soft leather notes and vetiver (courtesy of the Lucky Scent website). It's a must try and in my honest opinion, the best from Heeley. It's a masculine (whatever that means) violet.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyX View Post
    wait, no mention of Fahrenheit?
    This was one of my first fragrances. I loved it dearly for a few weeks, then one day I couldn't stand it. It made me wanna throw up. Now several years later I still feel sick when someone wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    I've been interested in trying it. Some says it's not that different from GIT? Is it worth to get it if you already have GIT?

Dependent

IMO, Fahrenheit has to feature here!

There is a mossy nature in NR for him that is representative of the violet leaf I think. I enjoy this scent immensely. I also enjoy GIT, but I find the violet leaf in it to be really tame, just my opinion. Of those I have tried, Fahrenheit is my number one

GF Trumper - Ajaccio Violets is a simple and beautiful "fresh green" violet (but rather predictably short-lived)
    Santa Maria Novella - Violetta is similar, lasts a bit longer, maybe more on the feminine side, with a "violet candy" quality

Speaking of "candied" violets, I rather liked Creed's Love in Black when I tried it recently -- but all the bad reviews here and elsewhere have made me doubt this first impression...
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    I've been interested in trying it. Some says it's not that different from GIT? Is it worth to get it if you already have GIT?

well i don't see any similarity...think mint leaves, dew drops and violet leaves it's very refreshing, nothing like GIT or Silver Mountain Water.

agree with you on Fahrenheit...i just despise it...
    Last edited by jenson; 9th September 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Agree with Matt...Fahrenheit!

But violet leaves have been abused this past years in recent years. Almost every male designer frag has it especially in the basenotes. I'm getting quite tired of them.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    Yep, it's different enough to own both. It's got some GIT in there, namely the violets, but it is much sweeter.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 9th September 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    and Kiton Black, and excellent violet leaf fragrance. similar to eau de cartier/concentree's violet leaf note, but more masculine, and less soapy.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Blog Entries

Bois des Violette is lush & woody. The wax sample is very untrue. It blooms on skin.

Penhaligons Victorian Posey is an unusual dry floral violet.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    GF Trumper - Ajaccio Violets is a simple and beautiful "fresh green" violet (but rather predictably short-lived)
    I still have yet to try this, shamefully.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    and Kiton Black, and excellent violet leaf fragrance. similar to eau de cartier/concentree's violet leaf note, but more masculine, and less soapy.

Excellent suggestion! Kiton Black is terribly underrated. it's a stunning fragrance. makes crisp statement.

Eau de Cartier Concentree is another good one, but like dullah mentioned, it's pretty soap..most importantly, gets borin after a while...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSC View Post
    Speaking of "candied" violets, I rather liked Creed's Love in Black when I tried it recently -- but all the bad reviews here and elsewhere have made me doubt this first impression...
    I own and enjoy this, it doesn't get much love here based on reviews. I don't get a "green" vibe from this (since it isn't violet leaf, but violet flower I am guessing?).
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th September 2009 at 06:44 AM.

1. Narciso Rodriguez
    2. Invasion Barbare
    3. Bleecker Street
    4. Green Irish Tweed
    Sales thread here

I'll second SMM's recommendation of Stephen Jones - it's unique, it's fantastic, and it's my favorite violet fragrance at the moment. It's also great in warm weather, as the aldehydes give it a clean vibe that makes it never too heavy.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 9th September 2009 at 07:17 PM.

Off-Scenter

Another voice in the chorus fro Grey Flannel and Cuir Pleine Fleur. The latter is also one of the more original approaches to leather that I've encountered.

I second Grey Flannel. I'm fact I'm wearing it right now .

Sounds like Unscripted should be considered too, from what the BN reviews say. The strongest I can stand is in Rykiel Woman Not For Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Another voice in the chorus fro Grey Flannel and Cuir Pleine Fleur. The latter is also one of the more original approaches to leather that I've encountered.
    Add Green Irish Tweed to these two and that is what gets my vote.

Knize Two & Paul Smith For Men

M pour Monsieur by Marc de la Morandiere

I like Eau de Cartier and Grey Flannel. Also Dans Tes Bras has a violet note -- try it first because it's more "out there" than some (I love it).

Another that is worth mentioning is Genie des Bois by Keiko Mecheri. It's a really nice woody violet that some men would find wearable, I think. Here are the notes: Violet, Nutmeg, Violet Leaves, Birman Benzion Balm. Sandalwood, and Cedarwood.

A question for you men: Is Green Irish Tweed more masculine or more "unisex"? I haven't tried it yet, but it sure sounds appealing to me!

A unisex violet scent everyone who is interested in violets should sniff is the wonderful "The Unicorn Spell" by Les Nez.

I'm going to second the recommendation for Creed's Green Valley.

On the designer front, check out Calvin Klein Man. A nice and fresh take on violet, spearmint, and incense.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    I like Eau de Cartier and Grey Flannel. Also Dans Tes Bras has a violet note -- try it first because it's more "out there" than some (I love it).

Another that is worth mentioning is Genie des Bois by Keiko Mecheri. It's a really nice woody violet that some men would find wearable, I think. Here are the notes: Violet, Nutmeg, Violet Leaves, Birman Benzion Balm. Sandalwood, and Cedarwood.

A question for you men: Is Green Irish Tweed more masculine or more "unisex"? I haven't tried it yet, but it sure sounds appealing to me!
    Well, I'd definitely say GIT is more masculine than unisex, but you should give it a try if it sounds appealing to you. It really is a great fragrance.