Code of Conduct
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Cool WOMEN's opinion: WHAT is a MASCULINE scent?

Hi, ladies. The guys over at the other forum are always dissecting and discussing 'masculine scents'. But I wonder if what they think is 'masculine' actually corresponds to what the women feel is 'masculine'. Some of us figure that if we can't imagine a woman wearing a certain fragrance, then that qualifies for a more masculine scent. But what really defines 'masculinity' in a scent?

So to all ladies out there, what do YOU consider 'masculine' in a scent?
    Describe them if you will. Much appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: WOMEN's opinion: WHAT is a MASCULINE scent?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Hi, ladies. The guys over at the other forum are always dissecting and discussing 'masculine scents'. But I wonder if what they think is 'masculine' actually corresponds to what the women feel is 'masculine'. Some of us figure that if we can't imagine a woman wearing a certain fragrance, then that qualifies for a more masculine scent. But what really defines 'masculinity' in a scent?

So to all ladies out there, what do YOU consider 'masculine' in a scent?
    Describe them if you will. Much appreciated. Thanks.
    Well, I, subjectively, think of patchouli, leather, woods, boozy, amber, and certainy resiny scents as typically masculine. Not to say that those notes aren't in plenty of feminines, or that women can't wear them, too. These are just my personal associations.

Hm, masculine that I like? Anything with a whiff of "barbershop" for some reason I just loooove that kind of scent. Makes me weak in the knees. Woods, musks also very good. And some of those uber sexy 80s scents are just perfect. They bring back happy memories as that is when the serious boy chasing began

Masculine that I could live without---> aquatic scents

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Hm, masculine that I like? Anything with a whiff of "barbershop" for some reason I just loooove that kind of scent. Makes me weak in the knees. Woods, musks also very good. And some of those uber sexy 80s scents are just perfect. They bring back happy memories as that is when the serious boy chasing began

Masculine that I could live without---> aquatic scents
    Drakkar Noir- sexy sexy sexy ...but I'm an '80s babe ! One guy I knew who wore it was a real outdoor person , diving with a hunting knife strapped to his ankle- so Drakkar Noir will aways be very manly to me.
    Antaeus - even the name is manly.
    The original Dunhill was wunderbar- do they still make it ? I LOVE that !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Smoky, leathery, spicy; one in particular that I adore on my DH: Alan Cumming's Cumming. It's the most virile fragrance that I can think of at the moment.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

I have to agree with lilybelle, this is extremely subjective. For my own tastes, I prefer to smell drier or herbaceous scents on a man, and sweeter notes & florals on a woman. Sometimes the blends are interchangeable...Citrus, for example, has zero boundaries, while patchouli depends upon it's strength, variety & partnering notes... but hey, that's just me!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 10th September 2009 at 11:23 PM.

As long as men don't smell as though they fell into a flower garden at high noon, I think anything goes. If Sean Connery can wear Jicky, imagine the possibilities! Personally, I like herbal scents and fern/grass scents. Leather is great, but it can be overbearing. (This is from the woman who believes in everything to excess) The water scents have been done & overdone (such a shame) so I would stay away from those for about a decade!

Masculine? It says so on the bottle!

Actually, scent, IMHO, is really gender neutral. One of my all-time favourites is Kelly Caleche EDT with a nice leather note.

As a rule, men tend to stay away from too many florals. Again, just my opinion, I'd go *nuts* for a man in florals!

I end up saying this time and time again: "masculinity" is determined by the man wearing the scent, not the scent itself. He could douse himself in YSL Paris and his virility and masculinity in my eyes would not be affected at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lovethescents View Post
    Smoky, leathery, spicy; one in particular that I adore on my DH: Alan Cumming's Cumming. It's the most virile fragrance that I can think of at the moment.
    LOL! I know Alan Cumming *adores* playing with gender stereotypes! Have you seen his ads for his scent? Hilarious! He does a spoof of Sophie Dahl advertising Poison, reclining nude on fabric and clutching his bosom!
    Last edited by Primrose; 10th September 2009 at 11:39 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hillaire

As a woman who wear any men's scents I can,
    Some that are "too masculine" for me to wear comfortably:

Fendi Uomo
    Van Cleef and Arpels pour homme
    Trussardi Uomo
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    YSL Kouros
    Dior Jules
    Halston Z14
    Azzaro original