Code of Conduct

Question Warm pipe tobacco smell

I asked a question about a cologne like this awhile back. I thought it was Champagne by Germaine Monteil I had worn in the late 70's / early 80', but no one remembered this scent has having a tobacco scent.

I purchased Cabochard recently, but that smelled awful to me. Adventure by Davidoff isn't too bad, and I wear that, but it still doesn't have the correct smell of the cologne I used to wear. I purchased leather and tobacco by Demeter but the scents smell very cheap.

The cologne I'm looking for smells like you walked into a pipe tobacco store, such as Tinderbox. It stays warm and mellow on the skin and the scent lasts for hours.
    Last edited by jazzmin; 10th September 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: added another cologne

Default Re: Warm pipe tobacco smell

I don't know about older scents, Tabac is the only one that comes to mind.

For newer scents, Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque or Montale Sweet Oriental Dream. When I wore the Montale I had several people tell me that it reminded them of sweet cherry pipe tobacco. Me too, as my dad used to smoke that stuff.

My kids thought they smelled like ashtray though...
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

You could try Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille - closest to unlit pipe tobacco that i know.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    You could try Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille - closest to unlit pipe tobacco that i know.
    I agree - Very close to pipe tobacco
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

I second Tobacco Vanille. I would also put Fifi Chanchil on the list.
    Another one is Atelier d`Artiste (Nez a Nez) - prune tabacco. Marquis de Sade (Histoires de Parfum) is prune tobacco too, however Nez a Nez is a light version
    Ambre narguile is cherry pipe tobacco on my skin.
    Last edited by Dariushka; 10th September 2009 at 09:23 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I agree, Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford is it. Please note: TV is a very sweet, vanilla prominent scent. I'm not sure if you're looking for a vanilla free scent? If so, please clarify.

Blog Entries

I have to admit that I'm pretty obsessed with pipe tobacco scents, so I have a pretty big list:

Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (pipe tobacco with vanilla)
    Hermes Hermessence Amber Narguile (pipe tobacco with vanilla & amber)
    Chanel Allure Homme (chocolate cherry pipe tobacco)
    By Kilian Back To Black (honey pipe tobacco)
    Donna Karen DK Man Unleaded (pipe tobacco & cedar)
    Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Woody (vanilla pipe tobacco over sandalwood)
    Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Floriental (feminine pipe tobacco with vanilla)
    Gucci Pour Homme II (spicy pipe tobacco with citrus & cinnamon over sandalwood)
    Tom Ford For Men (marzipan & pipe tobacco with orange)
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Mechant Loup (hazelnuts with pipe tobacco)

But I don't think any of these are old enough to be the one you're looking for. But hopefully something here will make you happy!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I never realized I liked pipe tobacco smell. I really like 6 out of the perfumes you mention. I don't remember Mechant Loup, I know I had a sample once. I need to try it again.
    Evenstar

I'll second Tobacco Vanille and Amber Narguile, but also suggest London among the designer set for a very nice, warm, soft tobacco.

Thanks everyone for your help and replies. I have a lot of allergies and anything with vanilla and coconut will set me gasping and coughing.

Estee Lauder scents won't stay on my skin for some reason.

The cherry pipe tobacco one(s) might work. I'll go to Dillards and see if they have it/them. I'll check out the sample swap thread too.

Does one of the Charles of the Ritz scents smell like tobacco? I was pretty sure the tobacco cologne I used to wear was called Champagne and I thought it was made by Germaine Monteil.

What about going to one those shops where you can make up your own cologne or perfume? What ingredients would you use for this?

Strangely, I find Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanille fitting this warm tobacco description! - I't's also on the sweet side, of course!

Hilde Soliani's Bell'Antonio is pretty straight tobacco scent that's not as vanillic as Tom Ford's.

Pipe Tobacco Accord from "cb i hate perfume" is my favorite. All of the ones mentioned above are nice recommendations for "generic tobacco". Pipe Tobacco is unique. This one from CB is an absolute, wears close to the skin, and has good longevity.

Blog Entries

The first time I smelled tonka bean I thought, "so that's the smell I love in pipe tobacco."

Are you also allergic to tonka bean? It's a vanilla-like smell, warm and smooth. Lots of fragrances have tonka bean.

I tried Guerlain's Spiriteuse Double Vanille for the first time yesterday, and on me the tobacco note was pretty strong. There was a sweet vanilla edge too, but that only became more apparent a few hours into the drydown. A great, warm scent.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    The first time I smelled tonka bean I thought, "so that's the smell I love in pipe tobacco."

Are you also allergic to tonka bean? It's a vanilla-like smell, warm and smooth. Lots of fragrances have tonka bean.
    You're SO right about tonka bean! I forgot to mention too, that Obsession Night has a tobaccoish drydown.

To me, Burberry London for Men smells like a pipe shop.

Blog Entries

You might try Fendi (Femme) although it was recently discontinued, there is still a lot of it around.
    Last edited by kumquat; 14th September 2009 at 03:47 PM.