Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: By Kilian

Default By Kilian

What do you think about By Kilian scents? They are rather expensive so are they worth that?
    Hermeessence collection is transparent, Tom Ford - steroidic with warm drydown. What about By Kilian scents?
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: By Kilian

I haven't tried nearly the whole line, but in the ones I have, there isn't an underlying theme connecting them. Perhaps someone that has tried most or all, sees a connection they could share. I was very close quite a while ago, to pulling the trigger on Straight to Heaven, but chose against it eventually. I think it's a fantastic scent, but US225 ( this was before the travel set came out) is a little above my pain threshold. I think they are clearly quality scents, and all deserve to be tried. Whether or not they're worth it is completely subjective and up to the wearer.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 11th September 2009 at 05:05 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I tried a few of there scents and bought a sample pack of straight to heaven. I gave straight to heaven a good review at first but changed it, the patchouli is to much for me. I would judge on a frag by frag basis. In my opinion they are a quality house. I can't quote the source but have read they use quality natural ingredients in line with other houses at this high level.
    I post lots from my I phone so if this looks like a text message that's why ( :

I've only tried Beyond Love. It's quite good and enjoyable, but not quite as good as the similar-but-better Fracas in my opinion. If someone gave me a bottle I'd wear it, but I'm not going to search it out at those prices.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 11th September 2009 at 06:45 PM.

i have sampled Cruel Intentions (my favorite), A Taste of Heaven and Straight to Heaven - all are top of the line releases..the price, well, now we have their travel size available!

I absolutely love STH, great rum note to a warm buttery cedar and patchouli, and patchouli, and patchouli, which is almost a little much as it's longevity is like 15+ hours on my skin. But no matter how much I love it, there's no way I can afford a bottle of it

Basenotes Institution

I have tried Love, Beyond Love and Dangerous Liasons -. I eventually bought a full bottle of Beyond Love and a refill because I love this tuberose soliflore so much. I know the 'kit' is expensive but really, the perfumes are very good quality , are very long lasting .You can definitely smell the quality .Also from a practical and environmental standpoint- the bottle can be refilled. The bottle is exceptional quality - even the cap is heavy in the hand . I mean they are well made items . The whole packaging is very very good quality.
    I am impressed.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have tried STH, Cruel Intention and Danger L. STH is a must have Cruel Intention is good but not BW to me although i have received a compliment when wearing it.

I've tried the whole line except Back to black and they are quite good and varied. The most enjoyable to my nose are Straight to Heaven (rum, cedar and pacthouli) and Taste of Heaven (lavander, wormswood and vanilla). Although I do think they are ridiculously over-priced (pure oud sells for $395 I'll pass thanks!). Unless you need the fancy packaging the atomizer refills are the way to go and it brings price down to a more tolerable level.

I've heard good things about Back to Black.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, I forgot - I have also tested Back to Black - excellent scent and again long lasting like all the By Kilians. A smooth spicy honeyish tobacco - very unisex and warm .

I know this will sound kind of obvious. But the word I would use to describe them is : "Luxurious" !
    I have tried the whole line and did not dislike any of them. Each one had something gorgeous and delicious about them. I think they are all very accomplished brilliant compositions !
    The two I thought superior (or rather, that I thought suited my tastes the best) were : ... "Straight to Heaven" (Heavenly "Rum-my" Patchouli !) ... and ... "Cruel Intentions" (Agarwood-y Vetiver Gorgeousness !). ... (But I would easily wear a few more of them )
    So yeah, they are a little pricy ... BUT ... The excellence of their superior natural ingredients is immediately apparent. They last on the skin for ages and ages. And you get the lovely bottle and stunning lacquered box. (And once you have that, the refills are actually quite reasonable, considering their higher Quality !)
    So yeah ! I think they are well worth it, for sure !!! ...
    (Except perhaps his latest, much more expensive, Oud wood one. Though I have actually not yet tried that one. But I do think he is perhaps kinda pushing it a little too far with that one's price. ... And therefore I just really hope I do not end up falling for that one too. For I really do not think I will ever be able to justify spending quite that much on a scent. No matter how gorgeous it is )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Sybarite- I totally agree with you . Luxurious is the right word as is Quality with a capital Q .Much better than S L bottles and the like - kind of harks back to when bottles and perfume boxes were made very well .........

Great fragrance line if you ask me, not worth the price, but very refreshing to see high quality fragrances being released these days amid the synthetic chemical bombs we're so used to.

My faves are Love, Straight to Heaven and A Taste of Heaven
    Sales thread here

By the way guys, I have found an excellent online store, which are offering their Kilian's with a fantastic 25% off discount. (Including their latest Oud one too ! ... That would mean you can get it for "a mere" £195. ... And a "normal one" for only £105 !) ~ Now aint that an excellent deal, huh ??!! ...

This is probably a better deal if you are actually in the UK though. As I do not know quite how much they charge for international delivery ??? (But it should be worth it anyway !) ... I also do not know how long the offer will be available for ???

But now, if I tell ya, and you go get yourself one. It's only fair that you send me a little d*cant as a "Thank You", now wouldn't you say ??

The place is : http://www.savoir-faire.com/fcp/prod...-By-Kilian/759

(Unfortunately they do not have the whole line available though . Still ..... )
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 02:00 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Sybarite- I had a look - b****y hell - the Pure Oud is expensive ! Nice packaging though. I admit - if my Beyond Love cost that amount- I would think many many times before parting with the cash .
    it's nearly double the normal price but the 25 % offer is sweet for those in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Sybarite- I had a look - b****y hell - the Pure Oud is expensive ! Nice packaging though. I admit - if my Beyond Love cost that amount- I would think many many times before parting with the cash .
    it's nearly double the normal price but the 25 % offer is sweet for those in the UK.
    Isn't it just total madness !? ...
    I was the same with my "Straight to Heaven". It really hurt parting with that much cash . But I have never regretted it since. And I totally adore my little lacquered box. It is just a total pleasure getting it out the box to "spritz". A pleasure I just do not get from any of my other bottles. So it was well worth every cent (every scent? ) !!! ...

I only wish I had found the "25% off deal" before I did fork out for my other one ! Unfortunately I came upon it far too late

Basenotes Institution

Me too- I adore..... j'adore my black lacquered box, key, well made heavy bottle and cap - we should start a By Kilian Fan club ! I enabled myself by saying it was environmentally friendly too ! No throwing bottles away ....

Me too- I adore..... j'adore my black lacquered box, key, well made heavy bottle and cap - we should start a By Kilian Fan club ! I enabled myself by saying it was environmentally friendly too ! No throwing bottles away ....
    Exactly ! ... It was my concern for the environment that made me do it ! (LOL) ... No, but seriously, I do think that is actually another of it's (many) good points !

And isn't that little key just sooo gorgeous !!! ... And the bottle is wonderfully manufactured. It's brilliantly designed all round. ... I really think other houses should "take a page from his book", and take just as good care of their releases !

I will gladly join a Kilian Fan club with you ! ...
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 03:04 AM.

If you enjoy the Lavender underscored by Vanilla of 'Caron Pour Homme' then you may enjoy By Kilian 'Taste of Heaven'. I certainly do. As has been mentioned here it has a luxe, dressed up vibe, definitely more of an evening thing IMO, and it stays pretty consistent for the ride (which is hours and hours).

I think it would be fair to say that 'Taste of Heaven' does for Lavender what 'Coromandel' does for Patchouli - puts it in a tuxe (or evening gown?) and takes it to a party.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If you enjoy the Lavender underscored by Vanilla of 'Caron Pour Homme' then you may enjoy By Kilian 'Taste of Heaven'. I certainly do. As has been mentioned here it has a luxe, dressed up vibe, definitely more of an evening thing IMO, and it stays pretty consistent for the ride (which is hours and hours).

I think it would be fair to say that 'Taste of Heaven' does for Lavender what 'Coromandel' does for Patchouli - puts it in a tuxe (or evening gown?) and takes it to a party.
    You are absolutely correct ! ... I totally agree with you. ... And your comparison to Caron pour on Homme is spot on. ... Though oddly enough, I was never that much of a fan of PuH, and that being mostly because I am not a fan of strong lavender. I think I just overdosed on it or something.
    BUT ... I do luv "Taste of Heaven" and that Lavender note in it lasts and lasts and lasts and lasts ... and then some . ... But it's such an excellent Lavender that it did not bother me at all. It's Lavender done right !!! (Even though it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb really, at first ). Yet it's still such a wonderful composition !
    (I really don't quite understand why it does not bother me here in ToH , it's quite a mystery to me ???)

I have tried the whole line. My favorites are Straight to Heaven (I own the travel pack), Cruel Intentions (I have a full bottle, signed by KH), and Love. For Love I bought a bunch of samples and put them in an atomizer, so I have my own personal mini.

I am not sure about the Pure Oud. I have a couple of small samples, but I would not pay that kind of money, and in any way, although it is nice, it did not wow me. Back to Black is more to my liking, but again, I have to sample some more.

I have found with the Kilians, that even the ones I adore, were not easy to like at first, I fell in love with them slowly. The others are very nice (Beyond Love, Dangerous Liaisons). My least favorites are a Taste of Heaven, not because it is a bad scent, but because I am not into lavender and Prelude to Love, because I think I have better citrus fragrances at a more moderate price.

Anyway, I like the line in general, but I don't find that they share any elements in the base or in style, like other houses. What they share is the good quality.

By the way, Mr. Kilian Henessy is very pleasant to talk to.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 12th September 2009 at 05:20 AM.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post

Arwen !!! You can't just say that and not tell us anything else- he is quite attractive, Mr. Kilian Hennessy . Spill the beans ,girl !
    Sybarite - you and I have been through the whole swooning over the By Kilian's.
    Honestly, I am quite particular about aesthetics of the bottles and boxes- By Kilians' are some of the best of the modern bottles - along with Guerlain's re issued Vol de Nuit propeller bottle.
    Also Sybarite- now you and Mr. Reasonable have got me thinking about Taste of Heaven - Lavender in a tuxe /evening gown ?!! I will try this ! I love Jicky and lavender .....shoot ... I can feel another lemming coming aong.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th September 2009 at 06:41 AM.

Arwen !!! You can't just say that and not tell us anything else- he is quite attractive, Mr. Kilian Hennessy . Spill the beans ,girl !
    Sybarite - you and I have been through the whole swooning over the By Kilian's.
    Honestly, I am quite particular about aesthetics of the bottles and boxes- By Kilians' are some of the best of the modern bottles - along with Guerlain's re issued Vol de Nuit propeller bottle.
    You know "Mysticknot" the more I hear the more I hear how often we are "thought-twins". We seem to be agreeing on quite a lot lately. (My Avatar just before this one, was the Guerlain "Vol de Nuit". And itis still one of my favourite bottles of all time ! Propeller Bottle" : So, yet another thing ! ) ...

And I am liking this ! ... (Trust me to find a potential "soul-mate" , and they land up being on the other side of the world (*sigh*!).
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 06:47 AM.

I have tried the whole line. My favorites are Straight to Heaven (I own the travel pack), Cruel Intentions (I have a full bottle, signed by KH), and Love. For Love I bought a bunch of samples and put them in an atomizer, so I have my own personal mini.

I am not sure about the Pure Oud. I have a couple of small samples, but I would not pay that kind of money, and in any way, although it is nice, it did not wow me. Back to Black is more to my liking, but again, I have to sample some more.

I have found with the Kilians, that even the ones I adore, were not easy to like at first, I fell in love with them slowly. The others are very nice (Beyond Love, Dangerous Liaisons). My least favorites are a Taste of Heaven, not because it is a bad scent, but because I am not into lavender and Prelude to Love, because I think I have better citrus fragrances at a more moderate price.

Anyway, I like the line in general, but I don't find that they share any elements in the base or in style, like other houses. What they share is the good quality.

I see we seem to have pretty much the same thoughts and fave's from out the Kilian's.
    I had actually forgotten about "Love". It is probably also my third loved one. It really is quite delicious !

Unfortunately I have not yet sampled "Pure Oud" (or Back to Black), but am "dying to" ! ... And even after finding this 25% off offer on it. There is still just absolutely no way I can go for another bottle . At still double the price, I would never forgive myself !). ... Though I would probably kill to own one of each of his scents ! (How greedy is that ! (LOL) )

And ... It's real nice to hear that Monsieur Henessey is a nice chap ! ... (Nice, filthy rich, talented and a "dish" ~ Some people have all the damned luck (LOL)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 07:00 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Hey Sybarite- well we have even more in common! I used to live in England - I lived in England for a very long time ,mate ! I know the UK like the back of my hand !
    We DO have a lot in common.
    I also love Vol De Nuit and the propeller bottle !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th September 2009 at 06:55 AM.

Hey Sybarite- well we have even more in common! I used to live in England - I lived in England for a very long time ,mate ! I know the UK like the back of my hand !
    We DO have a lot in common.
    I also love Vol De Nuit and the propeller bottle !

Cool ! ... Where did you live when you were out here ???

And sorry, everyone, for derailing this thread ! (I will try behave from now on ! )

Basenotes Institution

I lived in the Midlands , Kent, Surrey and London ,also Raynes Park ,outside of Wimbledon ! London, I lived there for 16 years ! Sainsbury's on the Cromwell Road ...ah! how I miss it ! When I went back in May - I was very happy eating my marmalade or marmite on toast with my tea ( Twinings Lapsong Suchong - can't get it here ) in the morning !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th September 2009 at 08:05 AM.

Monsier Hennessy came to Southern California a couple of times last year to the Beverly Hills and South Coast Plaza Saks Fifth Avenue stores. I missed him one time, but I know of at least another Basenoter who met him, bought a perfume and had his box and perfume signed by him.

I went to South Coast Plaza last November, after Prelude to Love was launched. He was behind the counter selling perfume. We talked for a few minutes. He wears Straight to Heaven and his wife wears Love. As I was undecided about which perfume to get, he said that I should take my time and chose the one that touched my soul. I chose Cruel Intentions. He asked me if I wanted him to sign my perfume. I found him very charming. He was wearing jeans, a white shirt and a black blazer. Talk about good customer service!!
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Monsier Hennessy came to Southern California a couple of times last year to the Beverly Hills and South Coast Plaza Saks Fifth Avenue stores. I missed him one time, but I know of at least another Basenoter who met him, bought a perfume and had his box and perfume signed by him.

I went to South Coast Plaza last November, after Prelude to Love was launched. He was behind the counter selling perfume. We talked for a few minutes. He wears Straight to Heaven and his wife wears Love. As I was undecided about which perfume to get, he said that I should take my time and chose the one that touched my soul. I chose Cruel Intentions. He asked me if I wanted him to sign my perfume. I found him very charming. He was wearing jeans, a white shirt and a black blazer. Talk about good customer service!!
    Thanks for sharing that Arwen ! Sounds wonderful. Perfumers are like rock stars to me.

The same seller will sell these Kilians on UK ebay for much lower price - if you check their feedback they recently sold Pure Oud for £160 (that's £100 less than the retail price!) and the other ones for £92..and would probably go even lower. Shows how overpriced the whole line is.. mix $10 worth of essential oils with alcohol, add the super fancy packaging and charge $300-400 for the...gimmicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sybarite View Post
    By the way guys, I have found an excellent online store, which are offering their Kilian's with a fantastic 25% off discount. (Including their latest Oud one too ! ... That would mean you can get it for "a mere" £195. ... And a "normal one" for only £105 !) ~ Now aint that an excellent deal, huh ??!! ...

This is probably a better deal if you are actually in the UK though. As I do not know quite how much they charge for international delivery ??? (But it should be worth it anyway !) ... I also do not know how long the offer will be available for ???

But now, if I tell ya, and you go get yourself one. It's only fair that you send me a little d*cant as a "Thank You", now wouldn't you say ??

The place is : http://www.savoir-faire.com/fcp/prod...-By-Kilian/759

(Unfortunately they do not have the whole line available though . Still ..... )
    Last edited by phibess; 12th September 2009 at 10:30 AM.