Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I don't enjoy Green scents too much, recommend me some scents, Green lovers!

A few good green scents I more recently discovered are:

-Frederic Malle/Pierre Bourdon "Bois D'Orage" dry, minty, herby, still "fresh" scent

-L'Artisan "Parfum De Fueilles" (a stronger, more synthetic version of Sisley/ellena's classic "Eau Di Campagne", adding mint and anise)

-Maitre "Bois Moussu", billed as a room spray, yet above most other niche in quality, a nice green-leafy/mossy/wood scent.

From 2 older threads:

1st asking for unsweet, long-lasting green:
    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I always recommend Sisley's Eau Di Campagne for natural, unsweet green scent, but you want good longevity and sillage, and it has neither, so i will stick with scents that have average or better Sillage/longevity

there's alot of great contemporary green scents with no vanilla or sweetness, and no powder, this pretty much conincides with my demands of a green scent, although I do not mind some slight sweetness for neroli/flowers or citrus

I will omit all recommendations that have sweetness from neroli except for one (fath Green Water 08 relaunch)

....and also based of the classic masculine tastes you have posted, I'd say these green scents may be to your liking:

L'Artisan Fou D'Absinthe
    Jacques Fath Green Water (1993 for herbs/Oakmoss, 2008 for more grass)
    Mark Birley
    Paul Smith Story
    Geo F/ Trumper Wild Fern
    Guerlain Vetiver flankers (sport and extreme both good)
    Penhaligon's English Fern
    Lacoste Booster (lacoste's only good green scent imo)
    Gendarme Green EDP (if you like strongly green pert shampoo)
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver
    Frank Los Angeles
    Eau D'Italie

These all have better longevity than Sisley's Campagne, and none are sweet or powdery. Let us know if any of our recommendations hit the spot.

2nd old thread, asking for a sweet green:
    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH
    Green is my thing.
    Here goes:

You won't find better Ivys than Paul Smith Story or Eau De Lierre imo.
    Sander for men has ivy in the notes, but it's more of a young spicy scent, with some sweetness and green bay leaf. Profumum Victrix is similar to Sander in it's spicyness and Bay Laurel Leaf.

If you haven't tried Creed Original Vetiver, it is required IMO, my favorite green scent. And since you like Mugler, this is a shoe in, as it adds dozens of extremely natural citrus/spice/ginger/woody notes over the top of that green leafy mugler heart. The other subtly-sweet "green" vetivers (most vetivers are brown imo) are Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver, Zara Vetiver, and Tauer Vetiver Dance. CDG's Vettiveru has some green, but also alot of brown, but I'll mention it as it's not totally brown, not sweet either.

And since you mentioned that you're looking for sweeter ones, I'd say Gramercy Park is an excellent try, but you might find it too sweet/feminine. If it's not too feminine, also try L'Artisan Fleur Di Liane, but I'm expecting both of these too feminine if you like Story. Nonetheless, all the green bonds are sweet, Central Park, Bleecker Street, and to a lesser extent Riverside Drive (dominated by pineapple with less green than the other 2), and even Eau De New York, which hasa nice light green tucked behind all the citrus. Another citrus frag with some mild greeness is Caraceni's Ivy League, but I felt the bottle was misleading, as any greeneness is dominated by synthetic citrus, and synthetic "girly dishsoap Florals", but maybe try it just incase.

On the cheap side, Bowling Green is the 1 "older" green I liked, so I'd recommend trying that, even though it's no sweeter than Story. Mind you, I dislike Paco Rabanne, and nearly all of the pine scents, with the exception of Creed Epicea, which is unique. But of all the older green scents, Bowling Green I think smells the least dated, and it's dirt cheap. Recommended.Then I'd Say both Givenchy Greenergy and Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic are in your future. Both These frags are moderately/pleasantly sweet, and loaded with the grassy/dandelion/wildflowers type green note. Greenergy adds Citrus/greenaplle type smell to the dandelion field, and L'Aquatonic adds alot of wet lettuce/celery/rhubarb. Neither has as much synthetic galbanum-type green as Mugler, but both are slightly sweeter and more natural-smelling.

Even though, it's not sweet, Sisley Eau De Campagne is another required try. There is no better leafy smell than this. Period. If you like that one green note in Armani Eau pour homme, but dislike the 80's smell, and want the lemon toned down, with a whole lot more uber-natural green leafy goodness, Eau De Campagne is perfect. It is perfectly unisex, without being sweet, and versatile to boot.

While none are sweet, or particularly good imo, out of all the definitively green Lacoste scents, the exception, is Lacoste Booster, which is good/ok. It smells mildly medicinal, green-leafy, with a very strong, very distinctive Wintergreen note. Wintergreen is very different than other mints, if you haven't smelled it b4.

Back to sweet scents, Davidoff Goodlife, while not for me, is very green with Fig leaf, and sweet as well, the premium equivalent to this is Profumum Ichnusa, but both require the liking of fig leaf/fig wood (not the actual fruit, which I do like). Diptyque Philsykos is another better green fig alternative, although again, not for me.

Others have made the excellent recommendation of Creed Green Valley, and this is both sweet(too much for some), and very green. A mellow, speckled green field, with some tan and white mixed in. Wonderful scent. Another excellent green Creed is Creed Selection Verte, the longevity is awful, but it's a must test, for reference if nothing else. Nothing does Minty-green-citrus better. The cheaper alternative is Jacques Fath Green Water, which has a very similar minty-green-citrus top, a green leafy-herbal heart, but is anchored at the bottom by a very very real Oakmoss note(surprisingly), of which Selection Verte has none, or any base for that matter. lol

Another good recommendation for sweeter green scent Was CDG Calamaus, which I equate to eating a giant powdered donut in a field of greens & wildflowers, very very unique and interesting scent.

Should be a long, very enjoyable test run. ENJOY!
    Let me think of the most crucial "Must test" green scents....

Default Re: I don't enjoy Green scents too much, recommend me some scents, Green lovers!

Here's a fairly thorough list of the better green scents imo, if you very seriously want to find the one or two for your individual taste:

GREEN CITRUS
    1. Selection Verte
    2. Hermes Eau/concentre D'Orange Verte
    3. Truefitt West indian Limes
    4. Bombay Sapphire Infusion (tons of Juniper make it green)
    5. Jacques Fath Green Water (either version, but since you like Neroli, the 2008version)
    6. Bond no.9 Eau De New York
    7. Guerlain Imperiale EDC
    8. Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes
    9. Pemhaligon's Extract of West indian Limes
    10. Miller Harris Tangerine Vert

GREEN FLORAL
    1. Creed Windsor
    2. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    3. Creed Feuille Verte (ok so this can't really be tested by many)
    4. Frederic Malle Angeliques Sous la Pluie
    5. Maitre Bois Du Turquie
    6. Tom Ford Moss Breeches

LEAFY GREEN
    1. Sisley's Eau De Campagne
    2. Creed Vetiver 1948
    3. Creed Original Vetiver
    4. L'Artisan Parfum De Fueilles
    5. Paul Smith Story
    6. Mugler Cologne
    7. Bond no.9 Bleecker st.
    8. Bond no.9 Central Park
    9. L'Artisan L'Eau de L'Artisan
    10. Mark Birley
    11. Eau D'Italie

MINTY GREEN
    1. Creed Selection Verte
    2. Creed Green valley
    3. Lacoste Booster
    4. Paco Rabbane XS ph
    5. Maitre Centaure
    6. Profumum Ichnusa

Spicy Green
    1. Cartier Must de Cartier Essence / must vert anis
    2. Guerlain Vetiver Sport (hot pepper)
    3. Guerlain Vetiver Extreme
    4. Profumum Victrix
    5. Mark Birley
    6. Sander for men
    7. St. John's Bay Rum
    8. Frank Los ANgeles

HERBAL GREEN
    1. Maitre garrigue
    2. Calvin Klein Man
    3. Caron Yatagan
    4. Bowling Green
    5. Maitre Baime
    6. Tauer Vetiver Dance
    7. Guerlain Vetiver Extreme
    8. Sander for men
    9. Guerlain Coriolan

Coniferous Green:
    1. L'Artisan Fou D'Absinthe
    2. Blenheim Bouquet
    3. Creed Epicea
    4. Hermes Rocabar
    5. TSAR Van Cleef Arpels
    6. Bowling Green
    7. Polo Green
    8. Pino Silvestre

SOAPY GREEN
    1. Creed Original Vetiver
    2. Paco Rabanne pour homme
    3. Gendarme Green
    4. Mugler Cologne
    5. Penhaligon's English Fern
    6. Trumper's Wild Fern
    7. Montale Aromatic Lime
    8. Amouage Ciel
    9. Frank Los Angeles
    10. Acqua Di Biella Baraja

SOFT / SWEET GREEN
    1. Creed Green valley
    2. L'Artisan L'Eau De L'Artisan
    3. Profumum Ichnusa
    4. Diptyque Philosykos
    5. Davidoff Good Life
    6. Cartier Eau De Cartier Concentree
    7. Miller Et Barteaux Green, Green, Green, Green
    8. Kiehl's Forest Rain
    9. Bond no.9 Gramercy Park
    10. Maitre Green parfum D'Ambiance
    11. Paul Smith men

Mossy/Earthy Green
    1. Maitre Racine
    2. Jacques fath Green Water (1993 formula)
    3. Bond no.9 Great Jones
    4. Maitre Bois Moussu
    5. CDG Vettiveru
    6. L'Occitane Vetyver
    7. Guerlain's Vetiver series'
    8. Encre Noir
    9. Dominguez Vetiver Hombre (a very fresh yet earthy green)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious ones, but this should be more than enough to try

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I recently fell in love with Parfum d'Empire's Eau de Gloire
    Ain't that a beauty? I love it too!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Excellent list DULLAH--blog it!

To the extent of my kowledge, I second Chanel Nº 19 and Eau de Campagne. I must make an observation on the fact that IMO, Narciso Rodriguez for Him smells like Eau de Campagne with musk on it.

Must add:

- Lancôme's Ô Pour Homme, which has been discontinued but it can be easily bought in E Bay: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121203.html. Not to my tastes, but is the greeniest thing I ever smelt in my life.
    - Trophee, by Lancôme, difficult to find unless you order it from Lancôme's French website for a hefty price in euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Good to see a few designer suggestions. Every time I see a thread about green frags, it seems like most of the suggestions are niche and >$100 a bottle. Not that there is anything wrong with expensive frags, but they aren't for everyone. Anyone have some other designer (or inexpensive niche) suggestions?...
    Ô de Lancôme - juts to avoid confusions, I am refering to this one: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121202.html

Inexpensive:

Piney green - Pino Silvestre and Aqua di Selva
    Woody green - Agua Brava
    Last edited by Pollux; 8th January 2010 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially to Dullah! Thanks man you have given me a nice list to play around with as well as others.
    Much appreciated!
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Ain't that a beauty? I love it too!
    Indeed, bro. I'm extremely impressed at how they probably took a traditional-styled chypre, smoothed out and fine-tuned it to perfection. I am a fan of many of the older classic designer citrus-chypres, but this under-rated/mentioned niche scent now tops most of my favorites.

People need to give this a try. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26123721.html
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th January 2010 at 07:10 AM.

How about ......... GREY FLANNEL

Whoa! Nice list Dullah Impressive to say the least! Real cool
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    How about ......... GREY FLANNEL
    Yeah! I can't believe no one recommended that earlier.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

The greenest fragrance I have ever experienced is Shiseido Tactics.

Creed Selection Verte

Another excellent green/citrus you might enjoy that is a bit lighter is Cologne Nature by Parfums de Nicolai
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th January 2010 at 05:43 AM.

Also you may want to try Duc de Vervins and Vent Vert
    Last edited by mrclmind; 10th January 2010 at 06:19 AM.

When someone says 'green' scent to me, I think of a fresh feeling. It makes me think of grass covered with dew, with added fresh slightly juicy vegetal notes, and herbal aromatic notes like mint and rosemary.

A lot of fragrances mentioned already fit into 2 other groupings:

Evergreen Woods/Coniferous (eg Polo). These tend to be too bitter to be fresh.

Fougeres (eg English Fern). These tend to be too "earthy" to be fresh.

Consequentially, a lot of the earlier suggestions are so far removed from my idea of 'green' that I can't even put my disagreement into words

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    When someone says 'green' scent to me, I think of a fresh feeling. It makes me think of grass covered with dew, with added fresh slightly juicy vegetal notes, and herbal aromatic notes like mint and rosemary.
    Except for mint, your general description is Fahrenheit (Dior), one of my favorites. Have you tired that one? Grassy, mossy, damp woods, rosemary among many others.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Except for mint, your general description is Fahrenheit (Dior), one of my favorites. Have you tired that one? Grassy, mossy, damp woods, rosemary among many others.
    I know it well, I gave a bottle of Fahrenheit to my Dad for his birthday in '89, and it became his signature frag of much of the '90s. This is a man who before that wore Kouros, before that Polo Green and before that Pierre Cardin pour Monsieur. The Fahrenheit was a ploy to stop him using that god awful Kouros, and it worked

I don't think anyone could claim Fahrenheit is 'fresh', don't get any grassyness.

One of my fav fresh greens is Paul Smith Men, and many will say it is just a toned down Fahrenheit, they have the same 'petrol' note. I don't agree. The note in PSM is petrol, and fleeting, and dries down to dewy grass and light musk. The note in Fahrenheit is creosote, not petrol (although one does make me remember the other), it lasts for ages and dries down to Leather.
    Last edited by andym72; 10th January 2010 at 02:00 PM.

Dependent

I don't think anyone could claim Fahrenheit is 'fresh', don't get any grassyness.
    Ooops I totally overlooked your mention of "fresh feeling", my bad. Though I definitely get "grassyness", im guessing it's a personal association.
    Last edited by MFJ; 10th January 2010 at 02:41 PM.

A lot of fragrances mentioned already fit into 2 other groupings:

Evergreen Woods/Coniferous (eg Polo). These tend to be too bitter to be fresh.

Fougeres (eg English Fern). These tend to be too "earthy" to be fresh.

Consequentially, a lot of the earlier suggestions are so far removed from my idea of 'green' that I can't even put my disagreement into words
    I'm not quite sure I get your point. How come fougeres and/or coniferous scents can't be considered green? Green can cover an alarmingly large group of scents IMO, I mean how can you get much greener than English Fern? I think you're focusing in on only one subgenre of green scents, the grassy, non-sweet, genre.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm not quite sure I get your point.
    My point is there already exist other terms to describe these other scents, and the kind of frag that is understood as described by these terms is pretty nailed down already. So personally I think it helps to restrict using 'green' as a description for those frags that dont already fall into Fougere or Coniferous etc, because they dont yet have their own terminology.

Also, using 'green' to mean a wide selection of different frags that have different feels, for example Dullahs very extensive list, to my mind reduces its descriptive power, it makes it vague. It almost makes it as vague as 'masculine'.

For instance, the OP has tried Equipage and hasn't rated it badly... that frag is all pine and moss, and yet he doesn't think he's tried anything 'green' that he likes.

If someone said they like Bleecker Street because its 'green', and someone else said they like Tsar because its 'green', what are chances of either of them liking what the other likes? Do see what I mean? It makes it meaningless.

Although on the other hand, maybe the problem is that those grassy and vegetal frags need a better name than 'grassy and vegetal' , and a name that isnt the confusing word 'green'
    Last edited by andym72; 10th January 2010 at 06:26 PM.

My point is there already exist other terms to describe these other scents, and the kind of frag that is understood as described by these terms is pretty nailed down already. So personally I think it helps to restrict using 'green' as a description for those frags that dont already fall into Fougere or Coniferous etc, because they dont yet have their own terminology.

Also, using 'green' to mean a wide selection of different frags that have different feels, for example Dullahs very extensive list, to my mind reduces its descriptive power, it makes it vague. It almost makes it as vague as 'masculine'.

For instance, the OP has tried Equipage and hasn't rated it badly... that frag is all pine and moss, and yet he doesn't think he's tried anything 'green' that he likes. Do you see my point now?

Although on the other hand, maybe the problem is that those grassy and vegetal frag need a better name than 'grassy and vegetal'
    I do see your point, but I still think that those other fragrances can, and should, be considered part of the green genre. What I think you are hinting on, and what I stated in my post, is how vast this genre is. When someone asks for a green fragrance, just like Dullah and others before him said, you sort of need to be more explicit. For example, I find Bond Bleecker Street to be a very sharp take on green violets. Now, Green Valley, is another fragrance that I find green and employs violet, yet is sweet and rounded. What you are describing, and I'm sure many feel similarly is sharper, grassy green fragrances, but there are far more different types than just that.

Edit: And there are most definitely classifications for the fragrances that don't fit into Coniferous or Fougere, there are Citrus-Aromatics that are green, in fact Aromatic in general, covers much of the green genre.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 10th January 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Chanels Revered No.19. Try it and all sins are forgiven!

Do try!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket