Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I don't enjoy Green scents too much, recommend me some scents, Green lovers!

For some reason I just haven't enjoyed any pure Green scents thus far on my fragrance journeys. It seems to be one of those genre's that just doesn't seem to hit the spot, or perhaps I haven't tried the right ones. If you want to see what I've tried, take a look at the tried section of my wardrobe. The closest thing I have tried that I've liked close to a pure Green scent has been the few Neroli and Vetivers. I want some hardcore green scent recommendations that are wonderful, please.

Do you have any in mind?

Some of Ayala Moriel's creations look interesting but I haven't tried them as of yet.
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 11th September 2009 at 08:10 PM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Default Re: I don't enjoy Green scents too much, recommend me some scents, Green lovers!

It's not hardcore green, but I used to enjoy Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage. I had created a thread a while ago looking for similar requirements -- it had some great recommendations.

I'm unable to find it atm though -- getting an error on search.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: I don't enjoy Green scents too much, recommend me some scents, Green lovers!

Malle Bois d'Orage/French lover is a wonderful scent. sparkling and juicyat the same time..smells of tender green stems...the green accords subside towards mids though...

you may want to try Byredo Green (dense accord of green with jasmine)

Blog Entries

Miller et Bertaux #3 Green, Green, Green and Green
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I generally don't like them either, and I would caution you about forcing them on yourself, because you can give yourself a "chemical sensitivity" type of problem, and as I discovered, you then become super-sensitive to all smells for a while and have to avoid wearing most of your frags. I could only wear weak ones in tiny amounts for a couple of months.

Ayala Moriel's stuff is good, though some of her green fragrances are a little strange - Gaucho is oddly sappy and botanical to my nose.

How do you feel about powder notes? If you don't mind a heavy dose of them in the base, the top notes of Estee Lauder's Private Collection are just phenomenal. Chanel No. 19 is another readily-available classic that's worth trying.

On the subject of green-florals, I find FM's En Passant - a lilac - true-to-life and gorgeous, SMN's Magnolia mellow and highly wearable, and Eau d'Italie's Magnolia Romana to be austere, complex, and fascinating.

Though I can't wear it, Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau is an intensely tart, green, and sappy rose, and has its fans here. Similarly, Sisley's Eau de Campagne is a Herculean tomato leaf fragrance.

I found Piver's Cuir de Russie a very mellow green fragrance, despite the leather in its name.

I found FM's French Lover enjoyable in a crunchy fresh-vegetable way.

Miller Harris has a nice herbal green fragrance in the curiously salty, Mediterranean Fleurs de Sel.

I may be alone in this, but to my nose CdG's Hinoki had a nice green note that gave a nice feeling of life to its pure cedar. CdG also puts out Calamus, in their Leaves Series, which smells to me of new leaves and paper. The discontinued Mint actually only briefly smells of mint, quickly switching to a newly-mown lawn smell.

Happy hunting!

how did i forget - Diptyque Virgilio - one of my favorites!!

"Hardcore green" might not be for you. I know it isn't for me. Give Mugler Cologne a try.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    how did i forget - Diptyque Virgilio - one of my favorites!!
    YES! That's an awesome one. I tried it in Miami. Kind of makes me sorry I passed up a trade someone offered me last year...

Basenotes Institution

Well you know tastes change - you may acquire a taste for green scents as you keep testing and trying. Never say never !
    I will suggest Guerlain Vetiver - if you are hesistant about green perfumes- I always do for green scents-Vetiver is fresh and utterly gorgeous.
    Also Nasomatto Absinth and Penhaligon 's English Fern - green and aromatic .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    For some reason I just haven't enjoyed any pure Green scents thus far on my fragrance journeys. It seems to be one of those genre's that just doesn't seem to hit the spot, or perhaps I haven't tried the right ones. ...
    Well, I made a list of some of my favorite green scents, plus some of the green scents I'd consider most "characteristic" of the genre, and guess what? Except for Chanel No. 19, it doesn't look like Aerandir4 has tried any of them yet. See, there's hope!

So, here they are:

Eau de Campagne
    Virgilio
    Bel Respiro
    Yerbamate

Comme des Garçons Calamus
    Comme des Garçons Lily
    Devin
    Alliage
    Baïme
    Chèvrefeuille Original

Annick Goutal Le Chèvrefeuille
    Givenchy III
    L'Ombre dans l'Eau
    Geranium pour Monsieur

Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Celadon
    Jardin de Kerylos
    L'Eau de Ryokuei
    Fleurs de Sel
    Magnolia Romana

Oh, and can you tell I like green?
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 11th September 2009 at 09:30 PM.

A couple florals with a green aspect but where green isn't the main impression:
    Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau
    Givenchy Insensé
    And PdN Nicolai Pour Homme has a really nice gentle green lavender opening before it begins to warm up.

My list of favorites:

Chanel No.19 (all concentrations)
    Chanel Cristalle EDP
    Chanel Bel Respiro
    PdN Le Temps d'une Fete
    Guerlain Sous le Vent
    Guerlain Vol de Nuit (extrait)

Notables:

CDG Vettiveru
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Estee Lauder Private Collection (original)
    Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois
    Lez Nez The Unicorn Spell
    Last edited by Asha; 12th September 2009 at 03:03 AM.

Good to see a few designer suggestions. Every time I see a thread about green frags, it seems like most of the suggestions are niche and >$100 a bottle. Not that there is anything wrong with expensive frags, but they aren't for everyone. Anyone have some other designer (or inexpensive niche) suggestions?

Not trying to hijack the thread, of course. Just thought i would throw that in since there was already a green thread up.
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 11th September 2009 at 10:17 PM.

I second Eau de Campagne and Sous Le Vent. Both are green, but the resemblance immediately stops there. Eau de Campagne is a screaming green, so I'm not sure you'll like it but it's worth a try as it's one of those "benchmark" fragrances - so unmistakably green it hurts. Sous Le Vent is barely green at all IMO, but it's often referred to as green. Its a straight up chypre, but I supposed it gets the green moniker because it's softer than most other chypres I've tried and has elements of basil and tarragon.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 11th September 2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Institution

Of course Eau de Campagne and Vol de Nuit ! Lovely !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

This is going to seem WAY off topic but it's not really. I was reading on the blog "Nowsmellthis" about a company in Australia that has marketed a scent that is supposed to calm you down that includes: The fresh calming aroma coming from pine trees, sequoia trees and meadows. It's extremely affordable so I ordered a bottle a couple of weeks ago and will post a review when I finally get it.

Here is the web addy if interested: http://serenascent.com/index_files/Page371.htm

I recall reading MPG's Parfum d'Habit described as "nuclear green" or "army surplus green". If you are looking for a hardcore green fragrance this is about as beastly as one can get. About as dark and brooding as a green fragrance can get. It's tough to find but worth it. Special stuff. Not your classic green fragrance but still applies.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Good to see a few designer suggestions. Every time I see a thread about green frags, it seems like most of the suggestions are niche and >$100 a bottle. Not that there is anything wrong with expensive frags, but they aren't for everyone. Anyone have some other designer (or inexpensive niche) suggestions?

Not trying to hijack the thread, of course. Just thought i would throw that in since there was already a green thread up.

A very astute observation, actually! I believe this reflects the (sad) fact that green scents in general have largely failed to attain widespread public appeal and are hence not considered commercially viable by many designer houses. All hail Chanel and Estée Lauder for making some of the best greens!

Which reminds me - I somehow forgot to mention Private Collection in my first response. Shame on me!

Kiton Men

Parfum d'Habit
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

I only have three fragrances in the Green family, but I love them: Yerbamate, Halston 1-12 and Devin.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    Parfum d'Habit
    I've noticed Parfum d'Habit mentioned a couple of times here, and at the risk of being an unwelcome gadfly, I'll state that while I adore Parfum d'Habit, I would not describe it as a "green" scent - more of a dark, mossy leather with lots of vetiver and earthy patchouli. It does to me evoke a conifer forest atmosphere, but not classic green herbaceous notes like galbanum, tomato leaf, basil, violet leaf, ivy, etc.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 12th September 2009 at 02:07 AM.

I forgot one too, Vibert: Les Nez The Unicorn Spell. Maybe I'll think of more later...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post

I hear ya! My favorite green scent is probably Fleur de Liane by L'Artisan Parfumeur. Not cheap by any means. I'm nursing my sample to delay the sticker shock.

Chanel no. 19 is really nice. I didn't realize how great a scent it is until I sniffed it in the store recently, and (for whatever strange reason) I saw it from a green perspective while suspending my normal view of the scent. I'm very funny that way with green notes. For instance, I thought that Varvatos Artisan was a kick-ass new green scent, until somebody (Joe P.?) pointed out the synthetic citrus notes. Yup - they were there. After I latched onto those, the fragrance lost its appeal.

At the risk of sending Vibert into horrible memories (his review is priceless - you gotta check it out! ), I do love the green notes in Guerlain Homme.

Odysseusm? Where are you?

Dependent

Something refreshing, bright green: Bond no 9 Gramercy Park..

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I've noticed Parfum d'Habit mentioned a couple of times here, and at the risk of being an unwelcome gadfly, I'll state that while I adore Parfum d'Habit, I would not describe it as a "green" scent - more of a dark, mossy leather with lots of vetiver and earthy patchouli. It does to me evoke a conifer forest atmosphere, but not classic green herbaceous notes like galbanum, tomato leaf, basil, violet leaf, ivy, etc.
    Actually your fab' description of Parfum d'Habit has just convinced me that I must find a bottle a.s.a.p. ! (Which I was not being quite convinced when it was being described as a "green" scent) ... It sounds just perfect ! ... So thank you very much for that Vibert !
    (Now the only problem is actually being able to get my mits on a bottle ??!! (*Sigh* !)
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th September 2009 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    This is going to seem WAY off topic but it's not really. I was reading on the blog "Nowsmellthis" about a company in Australia that has marketed a scent that is supposed to calm you down that includes: The fresh calming aroma coming from pine trees, sequoia trees and meadows. It's extremely affordable so I ordered a bottle a couple of weeks ago and will post a review when I finally get it.

Here is the web addy if interested: http://serenascent.com/index_files/Page371.htm
    That sounds wonderful (and most useful too ! I could do with some of that !) ... And so very affordable to ! (Verging on the ridiculous even ! )

However ... How, if ya don't mind me asking, did you manage to get it ??? ... I was under the impression that they did not mail internationally ??

Do post your thoughts on it please ! ... I would be most interested in hearing your "assessment" of it !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Something refreshing, bright green: Bond no 9 Gramercy Park..
    Or über-green - Bond no.9 Riverside Drive! How could I forget that one? "Leaf-zilla" - I think that's what Turin called it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Or über-green - Bond no.9 Riverside Drive! How could I forget that one? "Leaf-zilla" - I think that's what Turin called it.
    I'll be trying this one soon at Sephora here.. "Leaf-zilla" haha... that is a cute name he thought of

I'll be trying this one soon at Sephora here.. "Leaf-zilla" haha... that is a cute name he thought of
    It's an absolutely "spot-on" description for it too ! ... I doubt it could be described better !

Green Valley, Green Irish Tweed
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Woah!, I turn my PC on and see over 30 replies! Good God thanks for the recommendations, I'm itching to try these out now. Its a shame Amouage haven't done anything Green because I would love to see a green rendition from them as well.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Talking Re: I don't enjoy Green scents too much, recommend me some scents, Green lovers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    lol i just let my friend tested it and he said it smelled like powder at the start (really powdery ?). But yeah, because of your excellent review, my blind buy (PdH) turned out great.

Now Sybarite you better get urself ur bottle soon ! IMO this scent is really safe :- / Not risky as mentioned few times on this board.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by ohhmygod View Post
    lol i just let my friend tested it and he said it smelled like powder at the start (really powdery ?). But yeah, because of your excellent review, my blind buy (PdH) turned out great.

Now Sybarite you better get urself ur bottle soon ! IMO this scent is really safe :- / Not risky as mentioned few times on this board.
    I visited a department store in the UK not too long ago to try some of the dwindling MPG scents on offer and about 12 scents were on offer other than the ones I really wanted to try, Parfum d'Habit and Santal Noble

Creed Selection Verte is an awesome green fragrance....it starts with a mix of citrus and mint before the citrus fades away and the mint dominates from here on....I've read people mentioning some 'sweet pea' accord in it but I can't seem to be able to figure that out....

Must must try for anyone looking for a very fresh, clean green scent...

I just wish it was a bit easy to procure.

There are so many different types of green fragrances. What do you specifically dislike?

My favourites of the moment: Chanel's Bel Respiro is very crisp, clean and loosely floral. It has a very slight vegetal hint, but not in a damp, dank manner, rather fresh and bright. Another is Frederic Malle's French Lover, a far more zingy crushed vegetal fest, with a hint of smoky frankincense, a very wearable springtime fragrance.

Another vote for Creed Green Valley, and I'd like to add with great enthusiasm Creed Original Vetiver, the closest I've come to a sine qua non fragrance.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Yerbamate smells like weeds and wildflowers in a way that nothing else I've tried does.
    Devin is a nice crisp pine. Think Polo and Yatagan stripped down or Pino Silvestre made more complex.
    Creed Original Vetiver. A nice green soapy vetiver.

Eau de Campagne very very green.

I'd like to put in plugs for Jacques Fath Green Water and Brooksfield b.green.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I visited a department store in the UK not too long ago to try some of the dwindling MPG scents on offer and about 12 scents were on offer other than the ones I really wanted to try, Parfum d'Habit and Santal Noble
    And dont forget Amber Precieux as well. But Parfum d'Habit feels really green ^__^ And safe.

"No Pain, No Gain"

Green's are my absolute faves. Why I have not tried Mudassir's suggestion of Miller et Bertaux #3 Green, Green, Green and Green is silly, so now I simply must

Apologies for any repeats:

Balmain Vent Vert (original is killer green and available reasonably on ebay. 2nd formlation is my favourite and is available for a song online. Both would be great on a man or a woman- see my post for pics of the different bottles/formulations:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ight=vent+vert )

Estee Lauder Aliage or Azuree are both gorgeous dry greens.
    Gucci Envy (women's) is a wet green
    Chanel No19 is also nice but a bit cool for my taste
    Creed Aubepine Acacia is a gorgeous green
    Parfums de Nicolai Le Temps d'Une Fete is a chewy green delight (and 30ml bottles are around $40....)
    Niki de Saint Phalle is a forest-y green chypre (cheap online!!)
    Jacomo Silences is a dry sophisticated green, totally unappreciated imo
    Sisley Eau de Campagne is totally fab, green wet and fresh
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 12th September 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Matt, it's no joke, it's VERY green.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Matt, it's no joke, it's VERY green.
    Thanks for letting me know bro... I'll be prepared! It's got me more curious now!

Here are some more:
    Gendarme Green: The greenest scent I have ever smelled
    TDC Charmes et Feuilles: Floral herbs
    CDG 3: Eccentricly synthetic space flower in a field of greens.
    Frederic Malle Angeliques sous la Pluie: Best green scent I have smelled. Smells like a gin and tonic.
    Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone: Vetiver, for vetiver haters. Very clean.
    Le Labo Bergamotte 22: Woody green citrus.
    Bond Bleecker Street: Sharp and sexy violets.
    Bond Central Park: Similar to Vetiver Babylon with more citrus, not as good.
    Heeley Eau de Verveine: Oddly "fizzy" green, slightly dirty.
    Frederic Malle En Passant: Ethereal flowery green.
    Fou d'Absinthe: Classic fougere.
    Creed Green Valley and Original Vetiver
    Stephanie de Saint-Aignan Li Altarelli: HERBAL-green.
    Magnolia Romana: Elegant green-aquatic.
    Philosykos: Figgy green.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 12th September 2009 at 03:36 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Have decided I'm not really into green scent-wise, but Greenergy by Givenchy is reasonable and definitely fits the bill.

I have to say that I am slowly becoming more interested in green scents but in a way I didn't expect at all-through rose scents! Especially Rose Muskissime by MPG, Rosa Flamenca by Parfums Rosine and Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens. Is anyone else taking a like to green scents albeit indirectly?
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 7th January 2010 at 10:40 AM.

Just let me add to everything above mentioned
    Paco Rabanne PH, a classic musky green fougère
    Serge Lutens Chêne, a very sappy woody juice loaded with beeswax and black thyme
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 7th January 2010 at 11:29 AM.

Another one for Green Valley.

you should try Halston 1-12 and Devin these

Knize Forest, Horizon by Guy Laroche, Greenenergy by Givenchy, Gucci Nobile and Agua de Loewe
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 7th January 2010 at 01:50 PM.

For an inexpensive but first-rate designer green, try Balmain de Balmain (marketed to women, but a truly unisex green chypre).

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Knize Forest, Horizon by Guy Laroche, Greenenergy by Givenchy, Gucci Nobile and Agua de Loewe
    I was looking through these posts to see if and when somebody would mention the beautiful, but now criminally discontinued Gucci Nobile:

Gucci
    Nobile
    (1988)
    Givaudan
    Jean-Charles Niel
    Green Herbal Chypre
    ------------------
    Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Lavender, Rosemary, Tarragon, Mace
    Middle Notes: Jasmine, Green Notes, Rose, Cyclamen, Carnation, Geranium, Fir
    Base Notes: Cedar, Patchouli, Sandal, Tonka Bean, Musk, Moss, Vetiver, Amber
    ------------------
    An incredible green chypre for men. Why this was ever discontinued is a great mystery to me. It is one of the best of its kind. The herbal notes — rosemary, lavender, and tarragon — take the lead, and are soon reinforced by a galbanum accord in the heart. The citrus, herbals, and spice in the top notes are transformed by the florals in the heart and a classic woody chypre drydown lingers with subtle green hues persisting until the end. If only it weren't so difficult to find! I have one bottle in reserve, and then... pfft!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 7th January 2010 at 02:45 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Here are some more:
    Gendarme Green: The greenest scent I have ever smelled
    TDC Charmes et Feuilles: Floral herbs
    CDG 3: Eccentricly synthetic space flower in a field of greens.
    Frederic Malle Angeliques sous la Pluie: Best green scent I have smelled. Smells like a gin and tonic.
    Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone: Vetiver, for vetiver haters. Very clean.
    Le Labo Bergamotte 22: Woody green citrus.
    Bond Bleecker Street: Sharp and sexy violets.
    Bond Central Park: Similar to Vetiver Babylon with more citrus, not as good.
    Heeley Eau de Verveine: Oddly "fizzy" green, slightly dirty.
    Frederic Malle En Passant: Ethereal flowery green.
    Fou d'Absinthe: Classic fougere.
    Creed Green Valley and Original Vetiver
    Stephanie de Saint-Aignan Li Altarelli: HERBAL-green.
    Magnolia Romana: Elegant green-aquatic.
    Philosykos: Figgy green.
    I llooooovvvveee this list~

Dependent

I recently fell in love with Parfum d'Empire's Eau de Gloire.... green citrus-chypre...

Angeliques sous la Pluie.......is the Best...and Bleeker by BOND!!!!

Blog Entries

A good crossover scent, in other words, not an uber-green scent, is Lauren Polo Green original. It has some patchouli in the base and it has nice deep development.

I agree with Nobile
    Polo
    Paco Rabanne PH

Original Vetiver by Creed is so damn green you can taste it. It's the greenest smelling frag I've ever smelled.