Code of Conduct

Default New poster, may I have some advice on my next purchase based on my wardrobe?

Greetings! I was wondering if I could have some advice on my next purchase based on my current wardrobe. I'm having some difficulties updating my wardrobe from the fragrance directory, so rather than refer you to that I'll just list my current lineup here with ratings.

For background information, I am a 27 year old male, living on the upper east coast of the United States. I work in a medical field and dress professionally, shirt and tie every day. I am lucky enough to have a girlfriend that I proposing to on Christmas day this year, so I am not one for the club scene anymore. I am more of the museum and classy dinner type instead of the bump and grind days of my youth. Without further ado, here is my wardrobe with ratings.

Guerlain Vetiver: 5/5
    Bulgari Soir: 3/5
    Hugh Parsons Blue: 3.5/5
    Bulgair Pour Homme Extreme: 4/5
    Burberry London: 3.5/5
    Givenchy Play Intense: 4/5
    Lacoste Pour Homme: 3/5
    Ice*Man: 4/5
    Rive Gauche: 4/5
    Cartier Santos: 5/5
    Cartier Roadster: 3/5
    Chanel Allure Pour Homme Edition Blanche: 4.5/5
    Rochas Lui: 4/5
    Varvatos Vintage: 3/5
    Varvatos Rock Volume 1: 4.5/5
    Chanel Anateus: 5/5
    Polo Modern Reserve: 3.5/5
    Mazzorali Lui: 4/5
    Lalique Encre Noir: 3.5/5
    Musc Ravageur: 2/5
    New Haarlem: 5/5
    Caroline Herrera Sensual Vetiver: 3/5
    Terre D'Hermes: 5/5
    Frederick Malle French Lover 4/5
    Juicy Couture Dirty English 3/5
    Bulgair Aqua: 5/5
    Burberry The Beat: 3/5
    Kenzo Power: 3/5
    Cannabis Santal: 4/5
    Chanel Antaeus: 5/5
    Christian Dior Eau Sauvage: 5/5
    Prada Infusion D'Homme: 4/5

Based upon those choices, what should I look into buying next? A couple of thoughts of my own:

1: My girlfriend bought Ice*Men and Lacoste Pour Homme for me, and steered me towards Givenchy Play Intense and Varvatos Rock while we were shopping. Based upon those choices, what else do you think she would enjoy on me?

2: Now that the weather is getting colder I would enjoy added solid leather and patchouli dominant fragrances, what would be your choices there?

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read my post, and thank you in advance for any advice or critique I may receive on my choices!

Default Re: New poster, may I have some advice on my next purchase based on my wardrobe?

By looking, i would say Bond 9 Riverside and Bleecker. Also Guerlain L instant extreme

Default Re: New poster, may I have some advice on my next purchase based on my wardrobe?

I think your girlfriend might have a bit of a sweet tooth since the frags you mention definitely have sweetness in them (don't know about varvatos rock though, haven't tried)

I can't recommend this enough, but give D&G The One a try, I think it fits the bill perfectly...
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Also Dior Homme.

How about some leather????

Welcome aboard! Nice 'drobe.

I would check out;

Boucheron Jaipur
    D & G The One
    Creed Bois du 'Portugal
    Kilian Straight to Heaven
    Montale Blue Amber
    Paul Smith Man

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Thank you for all the help so far! In response to some of the suggestions:

1: D&G The One. I like it but alot of guys in my area wear any D&G scent that comes out, and they bathe in it. That's what killed D&G Pour Homme for me, it's a good scent but now it's too common. I don't want to sound snobbish but I take pride in how I present myself, and I hate smelling like five other guys in the room.

2: I love Bois Du Portugal, that and Erolfa were the only two Creeds that ever lasted more than 2 hours on me

3: How masculine is blue amber? The reason I ask is that with my skin chemistry the only other offering I tried from Montale, Black Aoud, was very feminine on me.

4: I'd love some leather suggestions! I love a good leather, are there any good modern designer scents that are leather dominant?

5: I'll try Jaipur at nordstroms when I try The One, I like boucheron pour homme but it's been a while since I've smelled it.

Since you gave us the list of all of your fragrances, with numeric ratings, no less, and you have already given advice on another thread, I have to wonder why you would even ask. Surely you know the next step.

And since you are a man who takes pride in how he presents himself (do people really say stuff like that out loud?), then I think you might be pleased with this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

You got a solid wardrobe there! It;s hard finding a good modern leather scent. These are some good ones that have some leather note in them.
    -John Varvatos has some suede/leather scent going on in the base notes but its not that big.
    -Bulgari Black has a nice rubber scent thing going
    If you can afford it, Guerlain Derby is great choice.
    - Dior Fahrenheit (the previous formulation) has a nice leather in the base as well.
    Habit Rouge is good leather but its an oldie!

Good luck finding some scents!

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    Since you gave us the list of all of your fragrances, with numeric ratings, no less, and you have already given advice on another thread, I have to wonder why you would even ask. Surely you know the next step.

And since you are a man who takes pride in how he presents himself (do people really say stuff like that out loud?), then I think you might be pleased with this:
    I'm sorry but am I missing the point you were trying to make? I provided my current wardrobe with my ratings of my fragrances so that if one were so inclined they could make an educated guess as to other fragrances I might enjoy based on my tastes.

And I provided advice to a question another gentleman asked because I own the scent in question and felt I could offer an opinion.

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say with that image but I'm assuming that because you are mocking what I wrote (and there is a huge difference between writing something and saying it out loud) that you are implying I am an ass.
    Last edited by Cartierfan; 12th September 2009 at 05:12 AM.

Instead of leather and patchouli (which I'd say often smells "old"), how about leather and teak? If so, try Canali Black Diamond.

Calm down Cartierfan and Buzzley.

@Cartierfan, i think u have a very good wardrobe. A good combination of the classics and the better contemporary ones. I guess you already have in mind the type of frags you like so i say just follow your nose and buy whatever you want. I'll throw in a few suggestions, Must de Cartier Essence and Aramis (1965).
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

If you like Patchouli, try Citizen Queen and Lady Vengeance from Juliette Has A Gun or Real Patchouly by Bois 1920. All three scents are excellent Patchouli choices.

*Side Note A good cold weather genre=Amber scents.

Try Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens
    Ambre Precieux by Maitre Perfumeur et Gantier
    Amber Absolute from Tom Ford
    Ambre d'Or by Il Profumo
    Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire
    and finally Ambre Fetiche by Annick Goutal

and Leather, try Or Black by Pascal Morabito
    Last edited by Aerandir4; 12th September 2009 at 11:06 AM.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Quote Originally Posted by Cartierfan View Post
    I'm sorry but am I missing the point you were trying to make? I provided my current wardrobe with my ratings of my fragrances so that if one were so inclined they could make an educated guess as to other fragrances I might enjoy based on my tastes.

And I provided advice to a question another gentleman asked because I own the scent in question and felt I could offer an opinion.

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say with that image but I'm assuming that because you are mocking what I wrote (and there is a huge difference between writing something and saying it out loud) that you are implying I am an ass.
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I want to apologize to you for my behavior. My response to your post was uncalled for, and I am ashamed of myself for having written it. I believe that I was the one who was an ass. I apologize.

If you rate Santos and Antaeus as 5/5, probably you would like Van Cleef & Arpels pour homme too.

And maybe also M7 and Gucci pour homme.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzley View Post
    Sorry to bump this thread, but I want to apologize to you for my behavior. My response to your post was uncalled for, and I am ashamed of myself for having written it. I believe that I was the one who was an ass. I apologize.
    Apology very much accepted, and I apologize for having a short fuse and being rude in my response. I've been confronted suddenly with a potentially large health problem with my girlfriend, and I've been way too on edge as of late. Back to having fun and discussing scents!

Borneo 1834 for Patchouli.

Welcome back, Cartierfan. How about Caron Third Man, a wonderful floral fougere, since much of what you have seems to be vetiver and patchouli heavy stuff. Nice 'drobe, btw.

I think you'll love Profumum Thundra and Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli. Besides these, I can recommend Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire and Musc Ravageur.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Blog Entries

Smile Re: New poster, may I have some advice on my next purchase based on my wardrobe?

Cartierfan: I would suggest Guerlain's Mitsouko and Boucheron's Jaipur.

i must second the Bleecker Street recommendation...an absolute must buy for you.

P.S the girlfriend will love it.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

TDC Bois d'Iris this is classy and understated, perfect for a work environment where heavy scents might be out of place.

For leather or patchouli frags try Parfumerie Generale's Cuir d'Iris, Intrigant Patchouli or Michael for Men. Scents that work really well in cool weather that are classy "museum and dinner date type scents" I would recommend Frapin Caravelle Epicee or Passion Boisee.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Try Zino Davidoff for sweet, elegant patchouli, YSL M7 just because it rocks, and maybe Cuir de Lancome for leather (marketed pour femme, but excellent, long-lasting leather).

Oh and definitely Chanel Egoiste (original not Platinum) for the winter and I second D&G The One for masculine vanilla and Dior Homme for cacao.

Since most of your 5/5 scents fall into the 80's powerhouse style, here are some you may or may not have tried...

Kouros
    Zino
    Heritage
    PdN New York
    Bois du Portugal

Your gf seems to enjoy sweeter scents, so maybe...

Body Kouros
    M7
    Minotaure
    L'Air du Desert Marocain

Other than that, maybe a rose scent

C&S No. 88
    Black Aoud
    Domenico Caraceni PH
    Richard James (Savile Row)

Good luck!

Thanks for all of the advice so far! I decided to be adventurous and just blind bought a bottle of VC&A Pour Homme and Zino, they should arrive next week! I love big adventurous scents so this should be right up my alley!

This is sweet enough for her, heavy enough for winter, herbal enough to be masculine, and contains leather.. I'm talking about Paloma Picasso Minotaure, of course. Can still be found pretty cheap online. Minis of it are floating about, too.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Versace L'Homme
    Very Valentino
    Trussardi Uomo
    (why not, but previous testing is almost mandatory) Knize Ten
    Esencia Loewe
    Loewe para Hombre
    Solo Loewe
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    Opium Eau d'Orient
    Gucci Envy and Gucci Nobile