Code of Conduct

Default A fall/winter fragrance decision

I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. In the past I have bought and used the same cologne for all occasions and seasons. I have recently, with the help of a Basenotes Education, begun to open the pocketbook to new purchases for cologne.

I am looking at purchasing a cologne to wear over the Fall into winter months. I have the following that I like and would love input:

John Varvatos Vintage

Burberry London

YSL M7

Black Orchid

What is a good recommendation of these or others that may be similar that I am overlooking?

Default Re: A fall/winter fragrance decision

You could do worse than Burberry London. If memory serves (it often doesn't), it was the scent chosen for the last fall/winer scent synchronization day. I'm a fan of it on my husband; he wears it 2 or 3 times each week that time of year. Black Orchid smells nice on the right person though it tends to run toward 'cat box' on me. M7 leaves me cold and Vintage I just find kinda boring.

Burberry London is a nice "safe" choice - no chance of offending co-workers or the like. However, Black Orchid is the wild choice and definitely the one of the two I'd buy - more interesting; more powerful. I don't like the other two. Really, it's all about what fits your personality best.

Burberry London is a good workhorse scent... M7 is excellent, but it's not something you would want to wear all the time. Others to consider are Rive Gauche by YSL, and Encre Noire by Lalique....

I would recommend Burberry London. Another one I would recommend is Gucci pour Homme II.
    Last edited by Ronin; 12th September 2009 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashover View Post

John Varvatos Vintage

Burberry London

YSL M7

Black Orchid

What is a good recommendation of these or others that may be similar that I am overlooking?
    I've owned all these four fragrances and the only one I'm still keeping is Black Orchid. Get that - you won't be disappointed. It feels pretty niche and doesn't smell quite like any other offerings out there in the market. (The opening of Indult's Isvaraya conjures BO, but the price is exorbitantly expensive) A winner from Tom Ford IMO.
    Last edited by moltening; 12th September 2009 at 04:41 PM.

Burberry London