Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up S O T D Saturday 12 September 2009

:wave::wave::wave:Great Saturday for all:wave::wave::wave:

Today i am in
    Patricia de Nicolaï ' s NICOLAÏ POUR HOMME
    Parfums de Nicolaï

Beautiful green chypre. After a lavender departure, the galbanum is king .I love this perfume.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: S O T D Saturday 12 September 2009

Today I'm testing Annick Goutal Gardenia Passion and I like it better this time than the last. Perhaps I'm getting more familiar with tuberose now.

Sharing the house with Novis, I'm in Annick Goutal Mandragore, which feels like magic potion after a week of not feeling so hot. (Considering the Les Scenteurs event at the moment, but by the time I'm done considering it might have sold out...).

Hope everyone has a good weekend! My very close friend had a baby girl yesterday morning and I'm travelling to Finland on the 25th to meet her. Very happy about that

Yay for baby girls !

Don't you both smell gorgeous;-)

I'm dragging our collective heinies to Princeton AGAIN today, hoho.
    In SSS's Femme Jolie [ winking at scentsis Fleurry]-
    Similar in feel to AL Soie, KM Genie des Bois-
    A silky, rounded, creamy cedar base , with delicate violet and spice.

Kisses and hugs to all-
    And happy birthday [ if you have one !] ;-)

Sur la Plage

I am participating in the AIDS Walk St. Petersburg (FL) this morning, so my SOTD is just a couple of shots of Mugler Cologne. Thanks to everyone who donated to this worthy cause and helped me to achieve my goal!

Top notes: Bergamot, Neroli, Petitgrain
    Middle notes: Orange Blossom, S Molecule
    Base notes: White Musks

Last edited by petruccijc; 12th September 2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Today marks my 10 year wedding anniversary, so I am wearing LPNo9 for Him to celebrate our milestone

Yay for Dimi and Mira!! Well done! Congratulations to the both of you. I hope your day will be truly wonderful.

I´m in FM`s lovely Iris Poudre today.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills this AM

Happy Anniversary to the Dimitri's! Here's to many, many more
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Blog Entries

Happy Anniversary Dimitri!

Today I am wearing YSL Parisienne.

Very happy anniversary Dimitri! That's wonderful news. I wish you at least 50 more joyous ones :-)

Off to bed in Bois Farine now. Scent of the evening for work will be Reminiscence Mi Fa
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Happy anniversary Dimitri and Mira. Many more great years together.
    Last night I went to bed wearing Ava Luxe's Midnight Violette from a sample from the ever generous Twolf. Woahhh!!!! This soooo good! I hope she'll sell it again soon. I can't believe how much I like it. And I can still smell it after more than 10 hours.

I'm test driving another Maurice Roucel creation today, 24 Faubourg.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Happy anniversary Dmitri! And may you have many more.

I am in Urban Retreat's Rendez-vous, a Roja Dove commission. After three wears or so, I can confirm that it isn't really working. It just smells plasticky.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Happy Anniversary, Dimitri!

I am covered in a bit of random splatter from Opium Fleur de Shanghai, but plan to wear JM Vanilla & Anise on the untouched areas!

I should do some gardening really...
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

sotd:
    Molinard
    Patchouli

Mira & Dimitri ~ congrats to you as you celebrate 10 years of wedded bliss!

Today, our neighboring town of Valparaiso is hosting the annual Popcorn Festival. Strange as it may seem...Valpo was home to the popcorn king himself: Orville Redenbacher. Every year, the first Saturday after Labor Day weekend, the entire Duneland area is dedicated to celebrating my all time favorite snack! Does Demeter make a buttered popcorn/caramel corn scent??? Well, later today the husband, son and I will go to the movies and definitely indulge in some fully salted and buttered crunchy popcorn goodness...oh yeah, what scent to wear? Spirituese Double Vanille by Guerlain. ( thank you very much for the sample kind basenoter! )

2nding the Yay for baby girls!! (have had 2, they are fabu!!)
    Happy Anniversary Dimitri! Have a wonderful celebratory day!
    And good luck & safe walking to petruccijc, amazing cause and hope you make buckets of $$$

I'm wearing the fun & easy SMN Melograno to drive around with one of my funner clients looking at homes. Its sunny & gorgeous and we are taking the S4 Cabrio :bounce:

beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Hello all First of all congratulations to Dimitri and Mira Hope you have a really romantic day! I've beent o work today and felt kind of blue still after yesterday's fight Things are a littlebit better now,but....In the mail today Ava Luxe's Queen Bess arrived.Not sure how I feel about it yet.Kind of bugsprayish rose on the topnotes,but it has settled into a spicier mix already....Anyway,hugs to all who needs them!

First time giving this badboy a full wearing...
    it's a shame the creamy, yummy chocolate doesn't come out for about 3-4 hours and is barely noticeable unless I put my nose to my wrist.... , the top notes isn't appealing to me at all, This'd be an instant fave if the middle would last from start to finish.

LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

A very happy 10th year anniversary to Dimitri and Mrs. D - have a very lovely day and many more years to come !

This morning it's Tuberose Diabolique by Ava Luxe.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 12th September 2009 at 04:45 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Happy 10th anniversary, Dimitri

I'm in breathtakingly beautiful Une rose chypree :bounce:

Aw, babies are lovely. My goddaughter gave birth to a bouncing little chap yesterday. 9lb! Ouch. But that puts me into the 'GodGrandmother' department. Double ouch! On the other hand, I suppose this gives me carte blanche to wear 'old lady' perfumes. Knew there would be a silver lining...

I've come down with a stinking cold, so although my SOTD is Kelly Caleche - which I'm wearing while it's still warm enough because KC doesn't do it for me in cold weather - I think SOTE will be Vicks Vaporub.

I feel for you with your Princeton weekends, Chaya. I hope your beautiful boy is settling in alright. With all the love and support you and B give your boys he cannot feel he needs backup, that's for sure. I bet he's missing your cooking, cariad!!!

Congratulations to Dimi and Mira on a decade together. Well done! No-one tells you what hard work matrimony is - it's always the hearts and flowers and romance that's mentioned, never the number of times you'll bite your tongue or tidy up your beloved's mess.

Speaking of achievements and endurance, congratulations also to Petruccijc on the run. Somehow I think you might be smelling of liniment later. Well, it's cheaper than Midnight Poison, which to my nose has the same topnote.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Saturday Night. Me? I'll be the one with the fever...
    hugs hugs hugs
    xxx
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Happy anniversary Dimitri! To honor the two of you I will wear two scents. Jo Malone Orange Blossom layered with Fresh Bulgarian Rose.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Happy 10th Anniversary to Dimi and Mira!

I hope you will enjoy many more together.

And thank you so much everybody for all the birthday wishes yesterday. You made my day. My husband had to work a little later than unusual (figures!), but I had a lovely bouquet of red roses delivered to my door, and was taken out for a nice dinner. No perfumey presents, unfortunately, but I have 99% convinced him that we need a telescope to star watch.

My SotD is Missoni, from a decant Taolady sent a while back. I love it. It's brilliant.

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 12th September 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Started out this morning wearing Neil Morris Cafe, as I drank my coffee and settled into Saturday. This is a fragrance I would have never thought I'd wear much less buy...as I don't think there's a molecule of iris in it It's a far cry from any fragrance I've owned, and one that I'm starting to love.

On me, Cafe starts out smelling of pipe-tobacco and chocolate, with a side of almond coated croissant. There's a slight metallic note, and a puff of powder. Ten minutes later the overall sweetness subsides a bit, and a very subtle coffee note rises up. Yet each of the notes still clamor for the spotlight. As it dries down, however, Cafe becomes very much a skin scent as the sweet, warm notes blend together beautifully and sparkle softly on the skin.

Café Official Notes:
    Coffee, Green Tea, Chocolate, Pumpkin, Vanilla Cream
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Cuir de Lancome in the morning
    Tested Kyoto on left wrist in the afternoon

Diptyque Oyédo: orange soda with a sprig of thyme. Plastic fantastic!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Happy anniversary to the Dimis and many many more!

Ubu, you know that I have never developed a liking for popcorn, this is something you should be experiencing while growing up and the "acquired taste" thing is just not happening to me. Yes, I tried it out of the microwave oven and in the movie theater, Mr.T cooks it from the kernels the old-fashioned, stove-top way about once every week, and my dog was a huuuuuuge fan, but not me! I do not like the taste, and the texture gives me creeps: I do not know what to do with the leftovers in the mouth after the good fleshy substance is gone sucked, so I just spit them out. Brielle, are you with me on that or the American way? Another American food I do not understand -- and Mr.T can't live without it -- is peanut butter.

Lilybelle, you are right! Many of you know that we had to leave behind many things including fragrances while we moved up north from Texas, but the telescope is one of the necessities we had to keep. Can't do without one, I can assure you.

OK, fragrance-wise: to work I wore something sprayed out of the manufacturer's vial saying Amouage Dia in gold, but knowing and liking Dia big time, I can say it was not it. Instead I got the fruity opening -- not shrieking, but nice and polite, something like a timid green peach, and in the dryout I feel cedarwood, white musk and patchouli. Have no idea what it is, would not want to wear it again. To crown it all, it must be a stronger concentration -- the whole darned thing would not come off after serious scrubbing.

We also got long-deserved rain and it has cooled down some.

Hope yourall's day is better than mine.
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th September 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Happy Anniversary, Dimitri!!!

I'm testing Ginestet Botrytis on the right hand, and re-testing Frapin 1270 on the left. The Frapin continues to be my dream fall gourmand. It will stay on my wish list. The Ginestet is probably too honeyed for me, but it's interesting and I'm going to give it some time.

Edit: The Botrytis has become quite compelling, where the 1270 is not wowing me as much as it did before. Color me confused.
    Last edited by Haunani; 12th September 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Well it's just been a rotten last couple weeks at work and corporate America and people who abuse their power have me hopping . It just isn't fair sometimes. So now it's the weekend and my coworkers and I are without a boss and without answers. I work in a pharmacy, and most of us are trying to make the best of things and get on with it but there are a couple who are just bound and determined to make things harder on the rest of us, as if we're not all in this together.
    My sotd is Gap Heaven, something I've been wearing a lot of lately because of its uncomplicated, light, quiet nature. It is lovely to bury my nose in the crook of my elbow and smell what I perceive to be a fresh-cut boquet of white flowers tied with a blue gingham ribbon.

Happy Tenth to Dimitri and wife!

Ubu, the popcorn festival sounds like a whole lotta fun!

Big hugs to Twolf. Enjoy the rain.

Happy Anniversary to Mr and Mrs Dimitri! Congrats to Nukapei on your friend's little girl, hope you feel better soon (and the same to Wordie).

I have half-inched (="pinched") a couple more sprays from the sample of Diptyque's L'Ombre dans l'Eau that I'll be giving to Pip tomorrow, together with her Coeur d'Ete. I love the snappy green up front, but I don't get anything after that. No jam here. oh well. Looking forward to seeing her tomorrow, there's a Penhaligons and a l'Occitane so will get a bit of sniffing done as well as lots of catching up.

Basenotes Plus

Happy anniversary, Mr and Mrs Dimi! Many happy returns of the day!
    Wordie and Nukapai, I hope you both feel better soon.

Boucheron Jaipur Homme

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Am also testing some swap extras:

PG Cedre Sandaraque - indistinctly cedary pleasantness, may like this even more in winter!

Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon - rooty, gutsy, mossy, patchfest of a vetiver. Drydown is quieter, but this makes me think of sticking my head in a flowerbed and munching on stems while slightly suffocating in the soil. I am quietly coming to the conclusion that there may be no Miller Harris out there that I can love.

Ginestet Le Boise - meant to smell like a bottle of Bordeaux in a wooden case - and d'you know what - it does! I may grow to like the "trapped in a tea chest" note of cedar to the power of 10 cubed after all... Seriously, there is a place for this in my collection - again, possibly more in winter.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 12th September 2009 at 09:14 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

I decided to respray YSL Parisienne, layering it this time with a spray of AG La Violette (which also contains a rose note) to punch up the violets note, and I am now in love. This is a fantastic combination.

Tomorrow I'll try it with one of my rose scents.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 12th September 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Happy 10th Anniversary to Dimitri and Mira! Here's to many more

SotD today, I am testing two from a generous BNer

Guerlain Gourmand Coquin--Chocolate-dipped strawberry a la Miss Dior Cherie. This one is an interesting take on the gourmand genre, and IMO is a much better strawberry-patchouli than Miss Dior Cherie. It is feminine and not terribly edible, but very pretty and much more wearable than many of this type.

Parfum d'Empire Wazamba--should I cry out "Wazamba!" now? Actually, this is a very strange imortelle-leather fragrance, slightly smoky and very astringent. One part Fougere Bengale and one part Parfumerie Generale Cuir d'Iris. I'm thinking it doesn't quite work.
    Last edited by Asha; 12th September 2009 at 09:37 PM.

:wave:

I wore Acoustic Flower by Soivohle this morning and this afternoon I'm wearing SSS Femme Jolie.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Blog Entries

Congrats to Dimi and Mira!

And way to go, jcpetrucci!

I'm wearing PG Cuir d'Iris today from a sample that didn't quite make it in the mail. But there are still enough remains on the bubble wrap and around the sprayer vial that I can get a couple of tests from it. I see some still in the stem too. That drop WILL be mine!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Happy Anniversary, Dimitri!

sotd: Hanae Mori Butterfly

sote: Madame X - Ava Luxe

Basenotes Plus

Carnal Flower was my scent of the day. I'm now trying out various Penhaligons samples and a generous dollop of Cocktail body lotion by B Never 2 Busy to be Beautiful.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Givenchy Amarige. Mmm gardenia-y. I bought a 30ml yesterday despite Mr. Turin's unflattering advice ("wear it only at home and tape the windows shut.") No-one tells me what to do!

HAPPY ANNY TO THE DIMI'S!!!!

Was GONNA wear the DIVINE SOD, but the spritzer malfunctioned http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=235818 so I've settled (!!!) for the almost equally divine....

...sure hope I don't have to use a hacksaw on that metal bottle....
    Last edited by TaoLady; 12th September 2009 at 11:26 PM.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Sur la Plage

My SOTE is Dior Homme.

Top notes: Sage, Lavender, Bergamot
    MIddle notes: Iris Concrete, Cocoa, Amber
    Base notes: Haitian Vetiver, Indonesian Patchouli, Leather

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

A very happy anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. Dimitri.

Ubu, I am envious of your ability to go to a popcorn festival. I am a longtime popcorn lover who mail orders popcorn from the Amish. Yum.

Haunani: glad to read that you are enjoying Botrytis. I own and love it. I like the way that the bottle nestles in my hand as well.

I am wearing Ambre Narguile today.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    ...Haunani: glad to read that you are enjoying Botrytis. I own and love it. I like the way that the bottle nestles in my hand as well.
    Therese, that bottle IS lovely. I liked the way Botrytis developed on my skin. It was not overly sweet, as I'd feared. I'm also learning that honey is not always my enemy!

Happy Anniversary Dimi and Mira!!!! and many more.

Today I am wearing Allure Homme. It would have been my dad's birthday today, so I am wearing it for him.
    Evenstar

Samsara EDT
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Basenotes Institution

Baghari by Piguet (from a sample - thanks petruccijc)

A bucket load of aldehydes in this one. Even more so, than No. 5. Just explodes, right out of the atomizer. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post

Ubu, you know that I have never developed a liking for popcorn, this is something you should be experiencing while growing up and the "acquired taste" thing is just not happening to me. Yes, I tried it out of the microwave oven and in the movie theater, Mr.T cooks it from the kernels the old-fashioned, stove-top way about once every week, and my dog was a huuuuuuge fan, but not me! I do not like the taste, and the texture gives me creeps: I do not know what to do with the leftovers in the mouth after the good fleshy substance is gone sucked, so I just spit them out. Brielle, are you with me on that or the American way? Another American food I do not understand -- and Mr.T can't live without it -- is peanut butter.

Twolf, the imagery you have painted is absolutely hysterical! Popcorn made on the stovetop IS THE BEST! My sister-in-law, who is from Poland, finds popcorn yummy but thinks rootbeer is the most disgusting thing she's ever tasted....and BTW, I can't live without peanutbutter either !

Happy Aniversary to Dmitri and wife!

AL Venus Sands on this wet wet day

Basenotes Institution

Everyone is smelling gorgeous today from Carnal Flower, Jo Malone to Baghari ! Wonderful !
    I am HOT as hell here in the Central Valley CA- someone save my poor burning soul !
    In Marc Jacobs Essence layered with Jo Malone Tuberose ...just because !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Wore Le Labo Oud 27 to bed. It is skank in the strongest and weirdest way. the topnote can get as repulsive like the Miel de Bois but the dry down is beautiful and last for hours. Not for the faint heated and better for winter months.

Happy Anny- Dimi, Mira !
    Many, many more ;-)

Haunani- I love 1270 [ but it really is short-lived, needs frequent refreshing], and Botrytis.
    I usually reserve them for cooler weather.

Poor Wordie and Pia.
    Ice for Pia's neck, and a bath towel draped over a bowl of HOT herbal infusion for Wordie [ but her HEAD has to be UNDER THE TOWEL, girl !]

Long day.
    We JUST got back.
    I'll probably hunt up some FdeB for night....

I'm wearing EL Beyond Paradise this evening. Gosh, it smells gorgeous tonight! What's up with that? Usually, it's just pretty, or nice (but a bit boring), but tonight it's smelling lush and fabulous. And I'm really getting its wet tropical quality. I'm really glad I hung onto this.

I'm exploring foody and spicy fall fragrances today. My SotE is Lubin Idole. It's very beautiful on my skin, especially after it settles.

Blog Entries

After a trip to the gym and a shower, I found myself *craving* C&S Cuba. Gosh it's so, so perfect this evening.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    After a trip to the gym and a shower, I found myself *craving* C&S Cuba. Gosh it's so, so perfect this evening.
    Isn't that a great scent? I tried it for last weekend's Sniff 'n' Speak, and was very impressed!

Blog Entries

Hi all!

We're having a surprise sprinkling rain today, so everything is damp and smells like the first rain of the autumn, which I love.

I had to go get some tests done at the hospital (nothing worth worrying over, just routine), but I decided to turn the trip out of the house into a shopping trip, so I'm wearing my first real test of Guerlain Mitsouko (the EDP) today, thanks to the tester at NM.

I'm honestly surprised no one here ever mentions the similarities between this and L'Heure Bleue. They both share the same bready orris middle with the cinnamon spices, light booze, and etherial dusting of powder.

So much so that I got home and promptly put on some L'Heure Bleue (pure parfum concentration) on my other wrist.

The middle really was the same, but the tops were different. Mitsouko had its famous peach aldehydes and maybe even some flowers making it a bit brighter, while L'Heure Bleue has its trademark anise seed (and the lack of aldehydic brightness) making everything feel darker by comparison. There's also a green herbal woodiness lurking in L'HB that furhter adds to its "moodiness", while Mitsouko has a very lightly animalic smoothness coming through (nothing poopy - more like entering a nursery that smells like baby).

The textbook guerlinade base plays well in both of them, but it's subtle in Mitsouko while prominently featured in LHB. I'm assuming this is because my LHB sample is extrait and the Mitsouko I'm wearing is an EDP.

My final judgement? These classic Guerlains smell nice in EDP concentration but really truly shine in the pure parfum. And I prefer L'Heure Bleue to Mitsouko. That being said, I was quite the petulant goth in my early years and I've always had an eye for sad beauty, preferring poignant melancholy to perky happiness, so it figures that I'd pick the oddly herbal strangeness of LHB over Mitsouko's mix of strange and bright.

It just stinks that I'm falling for the $300 formulation instead of the one that can be had for super-cheap...
    Last edited by rogalal; 13th September 2009 at 03:24 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Fifi Chachnil...yum.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Tonight I am in Caron's The Third Man
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Romance Silver by RL
    Gary