Code of Conduct

Default Where is your "first love" frag now ?

Or to put it another way, how do you now feel about the first frag you thought of as a "Holy Grail" ?

From what I remember, Bogart's Witness was the first one I thought of in this way, then it was Carven Homme. It may be that because I got tired of a strong lavender note I haven't had much interest in these lately. Also, I think Witness may really peter out after an hour or so. I guess I'll wear it tonight and try to assess it as objectively as I can. Anyway, I don't really have a "#1" at this point, just a large rotation that I enjoy.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 13th September 2009 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: Where is your "first love" frag now ?

Ivoire and Apres l'Ondee are just as loved as when they first became HGs. If only I could find Apres l'Ondee parfum *cries*

My first love fragrance was Opium in 1981 and it just became ubiquitous. I couldn't wear it anymore. And I heard it changed. Thinking the parfum might be lovely still
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 13th September 2009 at 09:23 PM.

I'm going to be honest here, my first fragrance other than Nautica, which I got because it was "so cool" when I must have been 10, was Hugo Boss, in the canteen bottle. I find it truly disgusting now, and must have then as well, because I maybe made it through 1/5 of it. It now resides, and has done so for about 3 years, in my car's glove compartment.

My first fragrance that I purchased when I was first getting into fragrances, shortly after discovering BN was Bulgari Pour Homme, and I just overused it to the point that I no longer desire to wear it anymore. At the time, I didn't think it was possible for anything to smell better than it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The original green Polo was my Holy Grail back in 1990. I can't believe I chucked a 125ml bottle away when I moved, thinking that I will never use that powerhouse. Now I miss it.

Smile Re: Where is your "first love" frag now ?

I would have to say Boucheron PH EDP. I still have about a half full bottle as I only wear in cooler months and will always associate it with very fine memories in cooler months going back to 1998 when I first acquired it.

Givenchy Pi. I am constantly falling in and out of love with it. I don't think I have found a vanilla fragrance to replace it (yes, I know, I know it supposedly doesn't have any vanilla in its notes.)

Eau de Patou, and it is discontinued. I have managed to get some back-up bottles though.
    Evenstar

The first ones that really spoke to me were Burberry London and, frankly, most of the others in their line. Compared to a lot of the popular stuff, they seemed very traditional (but not dinosaurs) in a way that I really liked. I still like about half their line, especially London, and still find my less favorite ones to be rather different from other designer brands, so I still respect them all.

However, even before that, there were a few months when British Sterling seemed like the answer to all my needs. That huge bottle, and some others of its ilk that I bought (but not all!), are now residing happily at thrift stores near where I was living at the time. I got rid of maybe 70% of the early cheapies that I bought, but a lot of them weren't real favorites to begin with so they don't really fall under this thread.

And further still before that, was the gift set of Cool Water that my friend got me in college, after I had gotten a sample vial for free in the dorms, and a roommate who swore by its superiority. That bottle, 4/5 full, is still in my collection, and still in rotation, and will remain there indefinitely because I can't stop myself from liking Cool Water.

My first love was Eau Sauvage. It's been a long affair, with a few break ups. I went out with her sister Fraicheur Cuir for a while, but she was too young and lacked substance. I don't even regret the swinger parties we went to where I usually ended up coming home with half a bottle of Kouros and she went off with an Accountant.She is my Mrs Robinson, and I am going nowhere.

my first first "love" was rediscovered through assistance of very helpful basenoters....'Arsenal Blue' was very different from the attention getter I remembered it to be. I never use it at all but it stands there in the most unique bottle i have(hand grenade) and still has some nostalgic value to me.

my first Holy Grail on Basenotes - Outrageous! by FM is almost done....the 2nd bottle is about 95% empty and I dont think I'll be getting a replacement....still a zesty, cheerful scent i remembered it to be, however its purpose is now very specific as a great hot weather scent.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

My first love was Knize Ten. It seemed so intriguing and leathery at first, that I sprung for a bottle almost as soon as I'd tried it. On further wearings, however, it just became too sweet, heavy, and ambery for me to wear - I traded my bottle away.

The Halston Z-14 that I wore as a kid largely collects dust, although I drag it out once in a while and it reminds me of a gazillion things, some pleasant, even. Eau d'Hermes, my first Basenotes era real enthusiasm I still love.

Escape Calvin Klein was my first fragrance love . Its still being made but i never waer though. Its too dry. I guess my nose is more refinednow than that of 98". But like they say nothing can compare to your first true love. Ha i just quoted Mariah Carey. Im so lame. Love Mariah!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    My first love was Knize Ten. It seemed so intriguing and leathery at first, that I sprung for a bottle almost as soon as I'd tried it. On further wearings, however, it just became too sweet, heavy, and ambery for me to wear - I traded my bottle away.
    Really? I WISH Knize Ten was sweet, then I would probably like it a lot more. On me it is the very epitome of non-sweet.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th September 2009 at 11:47 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Calvin by Calvin Klein was my first fragrance love, and all I wore through college and my first year of grad school. Later I added a few other bottles to my wardrobe for variety, but Calvin remained a favorite until I finally finished my second bottle in the mid-late 90s.

Then I went for several years hardly wearing cologne at all, before getting into fragrance again much more deeply thanks to Basenotes. A few years ago I picked up another bottle of Calvin (which by that time had been discontinued, reissued, and discontinued a second time) and found myself enjoying the fragrance more for the nostalgia it provoked than for its intrinsic qualities. I suspect the stuff I've got now is a reformulation dating from the rerelease of Calvin; seems cruder and more cheaply made than what I distantly remember. Anyway, I don't really love it anymore, but I don't really miss it either; plenty of great stuff to take its place.
    Last edited by PaulSC; 13th September 2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

The first "true" Fragrance I wore was Polo and it's still one of my favorites. There are many firsts a man does not forget. My first Polo is one of them

Balafre by Lancome was my first fragrance love.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Really? I WISH Knize Ten was sweet, then I would probably like it a lot more. On me it is the very epitome of non-sweet.
    Interestingly, it started out like that to me, too. Gradually it seemed to smell sweeter to me on each wearing, but notably, not to others around me. Knize Ten stayed the same, but my nose changed. Fortunately, I've had the opposite happen, too - one day I suddenly liked aldehydes, and fragrances I hated before smelled nice.

Black XS was my initial holy grail before I heard about Basenotes. It was so good that I felt the need to see what else there was out there... bad idea!

I rarely wear it these days, as I find it to be too synthetic. It does bring lots of memories though - some great some bad. Love to sniff the bottle for nostalgic purposes.
    Sales thread here

My first love? Yes..... early 197? or so. It sits on my dresser along side the few "real" Colognes I own. Old Spice. I still wear it and wish it would last all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Interestingly, it started out like that to me, too. Gradually it seemed to smell sweeter to me on each wearing, but notably, not to others around me. Knize Ten stayed the same, but my nose changed. Fortunately, I've had the opposite happen, too - one day I suddenly liked aldehydes, and fragrances I hated before smelled nice.
    That may very well be true, about it eventually becoming sweeter with subsequent wearings. I have a small spray sample, but have only worn it once or twice, so my experience isn't as much as you had with it. I wonder if I keep wearing it, I'll eventually start to smell something sweet?

Great thread!

I have an empty bottle of my Versace L'Homme in its ornately designed, traditional Gianni Versace baroque/embossed gift set box. There have been plenty of times I've wanted to buy another bottle for nostalgic purposes but I've found at least one or two that are even better and still take me back

Signoricci by Nina Ricci was my first holy grail. My wife brought me back a bottle from a trip to France many years ago, and I thought it was the perfect fragance for me in every way. I still love it, but don't wear it much anymore because I find it too light for winter, fall and spring seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    I would have to say Boucheron PH EDP. I still have about a half full bottle as I only wear in cooler months and will always associate it with very fine memories in cooler months going back to 1998 when I first acquired it.
    Boucheron (the original for women) was my first real love; the first "good" fragrance I wore as an adult. It was my fall and winter "signature" scent for years.

P.S. I still have a little bottle of it, and I really should wear it once in a while!
    Last edited by Haunani; 14th September 2009 at 05:12 AM.

Basenotes Institution

My first real true love was Mitsouko ( I had worn Chanel No.5 for many years before ) but I 'connected' with Mitsouko - it fit my personality perfectly even in my early 20s. I wore Mitsouko for many years ,exclusively too and did not think I would ever change. I still have some EDP left which is now vintage ,carefully kept for memories of who I used to be .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 14th September 2009 at 04:54 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

My opinion of my first ever holy grail has not changed a bit.
    It was Eau d'Orange Verte, and I still find it the jewel in the crown of citrus eau de colognes.

My first 'proper' cologne was Crabtree & Evelyn Original Mysore Sandalwood EDT which I discovered somewhere around 1982. It changed over time from a really nice Sandalwood to something sweeter and thinner and I ultimately discarded it in favour of Green Irish Tweed and AdP Colonia - both of which are still default settings for me in their respective styles.

Blog Entries

Givenchy Gentleman - back in the day. I almost never wear it. It has good memories, but I cannot wear it now and feel like I'm making good memories in the moment. It's like bringing out old electronics and playing some 8-track tapes of 70's rock. Long hair, jean jacket, Marlboros, boots, pirate shirt open so you could see my Indian bling. Hippie chick girlfriend with doe eyes and ironed-straight hair. An odd mix of patchouli, leather, and civet, at the point where country, western, freak, and suburbia collided. It was beautiful, but it's SO OVER.

Dude!

Dunhill Edition, and it's here with me.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Hypnotic Poison. Still here and better than I remember

My first love is Magie Noire by Lancome (1978). I think Lancome has relaunch it and slightly reformulated the juice. It was my grama's fave until she has died because of Indonesian political chaos. And well, I still keep the original bottle. It's like family heirloom

My first love was Eau Sauvage and It is always in my wardrobe.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Old Spice, Paco Rabanne, Tabac Original and Hermes Equipage, all in the mid- to late 70s. I have all in my wardrobe today. Tabac and Equipage i only recently got reunited with after about 25 years.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    My first love was Eau Sauvage and It is always in my wardrobe.
    This.

Also this scent serves a sentimental purpose for me.

my first bottle of perfume was/is Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge. i always thought it was fantastic. now? i feel it's one of the best perfumes out there. im sure lot of natural oils went into this. the kind of depth it offer can only be paralleled by some of the Niche releases. in short, it's still my Holy grail.

The second bottle i had bought was the Baldessarini Concentrate. i was hunting for a frag to wear for my engagement. i sampled thru 20 of them Baldi happened to be next and it didnt take a minute for me to say "I Do" or was it "i pay?" it's still one of the best scent ever, for me. i dont like the Original (eau de Cologne)..but the concentrate is simply class apart.

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

My first fragrance love was Paco Rabanne when I was 12. It's still about and I still have a bottle, although the reformulation has dried it out a little it's still a classic.

The first thing I ever bough was Givenchy Pi and I did think that was great stuff at the time but now it is pretty low in the pecking order. Shalimar has outclassed Pi and replaced it in my mind as my top gormandy vanilla.

Rive Gauche PH the first "Holy Grail" of my wardrobe and it is still going strong as one of my top 5-10 fragrances. So much love for RG...Long live!

My first love is my best love. Jicky was the first frag i ever owned for myself. And it's never been challenged for the number one spot.
    m

Quote Originally Posted by marczilla View Post
    My first love is my best love. Jicky was the first frag i ever owned for myself. And it's never been challenged for the number one spot.
    m
    Wow, talk about starting strong!
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

So I wore Witness again after a long absence. I found it to be too blended and unbalanced, as well as "heavy." The ingredients seem to be high quality and it's "natural," but the lack of balance and over-blending leads to it irritating me after an hour or so.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Where is your "first love" frag now ?

My fragrance "first love" was men's Obsession and I still keep a bottle on hand but my long term main squeeze is Mitsouko.

oh crap.... so many for so many years... i guess i'll try the timeline starting at 8 years old (my nana bought me the entire coty collection for christmas and i've been enthralled ever since)
    80's preferred stock then iron man then coty musk
    90's drakkar noir then nightflight joop then ck one then le male
    00's cerruti image then rl romance then l'homme then armani code then tommy bahama... then i found basenotes and nothing has ever been the same (especially my wallet )
    At your service

Joop. It was my first purchase. Funny thing is...it was supposed to be JPG Le Male. That's the fragrance I was smelling on male passerbys, classmates, etc, and I never knew what it was, but it smelled soooo fresh. Sooo nice. One day, I smelled what I thought was Le Male on a guy, and I mustered up the balls to ask him what it was. He told me Joop. So I went out and bought it. At some point, I realized that Joop was not the fragrance I was chasing, but nonetheless, I liked Joop.

I like JPG, but it is waaaay too popular for me to actually own. But I realize that I could have very easily ended up as another brother in JPG Le Male.

Edit: forgot to mention where it is now. After my first and only bottle, I moved onto Versace Dreamer, but a few months ago, I just started thinkin about it, and memories of my then love for it returned. So I bought a bottle online. The warm weather hasn't allowed me many wears, but this fall I plan to give it's due wears.
    Last edited by Larwiz; 16th September 2009 at 03:49 AM.

Blog Entries

I just wrote this longwinded review in the womens SOTD thread, but it probably belongs here.

My first love, and my SOTD today, was the rather gaily-named Alfred Dunhill Desire For A Man.

I can still remember buying this - Back then (95? 96?), I smoked like a chimney and had the bright idea that there must be cologne out there that would combine with my smokey odor and make me smell more presentable. So, off I went to Macys (being the best store I knew of at the time) to ask the SA there what she would recommend. I fell in love with Desire quickly, intrigued by its tea + berries smell, as well as the fact that it was made by a cigarette company, which I assumed would make it work with the smell of stale cigarettes (OK, so I was a bit young and stupid...).

The thing I liked about it was that it smelled like "something" (tea and fruit), instead of just "cologne" (which I now recognize was the masculine chypres available at the time).

As such, this was the scent that quietly launched me on this crazy and expensive journey, as well as one of the 3 or 4 full bottles I ever used up. So now, after discovering basenotes, sample trading, and online sample ordering, some 300 or so frags later, I've been curious what exactly this smelled like, knowing what I know now. So, it was with curiosity and trepidation that I bought a cheap mini of this recently for retesting.

So how does it smell? The tea is only in the very top, and the "berries" are sort of an artful synthetic construct of the actual smell of berries. Mainly, it's soapy. There's a floral quality, but not in a bouquet-of-flowers way, but in the way that plain white soap can smell floral without smelling perfumed. The "berry" acts as a sweetener, giving a nice sweetness to the soapy base. Late in the day, the "berry" is gone, leaving just sugary soap.

Sure, it's nice, and quite nostalgic for me, but kind of like Azzaro's Chrome (another old standby for me I recently had the opportunity to re-wear), it feels of another time. While it and its contemporaries set the stage for the fresh frags of today, it does it with a certain naive simplicity that feels a bit dated - while some simple scents pull it off with deft blending and great ingredients, Desire has the feel of something kind of experimental for its time, something that has been passed by.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

The year: 1965
    The fragrance:: Hai Karate

I was 11 years old. I was in love. What can I say?

Where is it now? The empty bottle is buried deep in some land fill in Massachusetts, to be discovered perhaps 10,000 years from now.
    Last edited by Griff; 16th September 2009 at 03:24 AM.
    Griff

Wait... i remember more now...

next to it was bottle number two, Dana English Leather.

And then, I heard for the first time "Devil in the Blue Dress" by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, and I had to know what this "chanel no. 5" was all about ("...wearin her perfume, Chanel No. 5. Got to be the finest girl alive..") and I just HAD to smell the stuff. The local department store had some, I saved my money and that was bottle three.

The rest is all a haze.
    Griff

Off-Scenter

Where is my "first love" fragrance now? Right on my fragrance shelf, thank you very much. It is Devin, and I guess I had taste at age 15, because the stuff still holds up today.

The first fragrance I fell in love with was Bois du Portugal. Until we met it was an endless string of one night stands, weekend affairs, and a couple cheap thrills. Bois is still very much a part of my life, and we are still very much in love.
    Last edited by The Duke; 16th September 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Chevignon Brand. Still in my wardrobe and still going strong.

My first love was Polo. Ill never forget unwrapping that Christmas and seeing the hunter green and gold box and then the magnificence of the green and gold bottle.

i was a mere 14 but wearing that scent made me feel mature and sophisticated. I still get that feeling 23 years later...
    FOR SALE/SWAP:
    Prada PH Amber 1.7oz spray 98% used with cap and box
    Cartier Roadster 4.2oz 90% with cap, no box.

I guess the first one I bought for myself was Aramis back in the '70s... I think the last time I wore it was around 1980. I don't think I ever really loved a fragrance, though, until Zino, maybe around 1991. And I still wear it.

Please forgive a "bi-scentual" poster on the gentlemens' board.... My "first love" frag was Opium... Worn exclusively from age 15-35, at which point I simultaneously discovered Basenotes and Colonial Drug in Cambridge, and branched out.

Happy to report that my "first love" frag is still going strong... But I am now over 200 bottles. Yikes!

My dearly loved late mother (of blessed memory) confessed to me somewhere around year 8 of my Opium years that when she missed me, she'd go to the nearest high-end department store, spray Opium into the air, and walk into it to "conjure" me. I now do the same for her, with Bal a Versaillles and Zadig.

Gentlemen, if your mothers are still on this plane, call them and/or send them their favorite perfume because you can.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

My very first proper HG was Chanel's Antaeus ! ... And I still enjoy it as much as when I first sniffed it !

It's probably the only frag, that even though I only wear rarely now, I've not yet "fallen out of luv" with ! (Just like most true "first luvs" !) ...
    I still think it is probably one (if not the ?) most beautiful and captivating swoon-worthy scent ever composed !
    (And one of the classiest bottles/advertising campaigns/models/ just everything was entirely perfect ! ... And still stands the test of time ! ~ Classic ! ... It's as timeless as a men's evening perfectly tailored black suit ! )

Then Fahrenheit stuck around for a bit of a stint .... and so on ....

Then some time later I just kinda started becoming a bit of a frag slag ! And HG's just started to multiply, and then quickly replaced by other HG's ! ... Now there will never again be just one HG !
    Last edited by Sybarite; 7th October 2009 at 10:20 AM.

Either Brut or English Leather was my first love (Junior High), I don't remember which came first. Possibly it was English Leather.

My first loves were Santos de Cartier and Chanel's Antaeus. I still keep them in my wardrobe and wear them.

I won`t tell you about my adolescent scents (some of them were Russian, some - from Poland and Bulgary),but the very first frag I was fallen in love was - Calvin Klein Eternity. For men.

I even bought some Eternity FM in Paris!!! It was my second bottle of Eternity. First came from Hawaii, with friend. Now the third bottle is in my closet, and I wear it seldom.

Well, then some french friends enlighten me with Antaeus, Habit Rouge and Egoiste - so collection has began.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

My first fragrance love was Jil Sander Man Pure - way before basenotes or any serious interest in perfumes. But I really really loved the stuff. It is in my wardrobe again and I still think it is one of the finest scents of the 80s.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Fahrenheit
    Polo
    Goodlife By Davidoff

Goodlife is the only one still in my arsenal due to the reformulation of the aforementioned ones.
    Last edited by EarNoseThroat; 7th October 2009 at 09:01 AM.

Antaeus - after many years again on my shelf!