Code of Conduct

Default Whic is the most preferable Serge Lutens fragrance for men?

I would like to try some of his creations.
    Last edited by Man_from_Shalimar; 14th September 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Default Re: Whic is the most preferable Serge Lutens fragrance for men?

Going by the popular vote around here, Chergui. But there are many great fragrances from Lutens - the one that smells best on you, to you, is the best one for you.

Thanks, how about some more suggestions.

I like Ambre Sultan (oregano and amber) and Borneo 1834 (dark chocolate and patchouli) for men. Chene (sweet, fresh cut, oak) is really nice, too. And MKK, of course. Each of them is very different, and also very unique.

I am also very fond of Chergui, Santal Blanc and Fumerie Turque, but all three of them can be pretty sweet --- which is something that I tend to associate more with a feminine fragrances (whether that is due to marketing, socialization or rank ignorance on my part is anyone's guess). I guess they smell more "perfume-like," in a traditional sense. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to wear any of them. Just don't be surprised if some of your more knuckle-headed male friends crack jokes.

Chergui and Ambre Sultan are in some ways very similar, especially in the early stages, but Ambre Sultan never quite turns sweet in the drydown, whereas Chergui fills the air around you with a gentle sweet hay smell. Pretty nice stuff.

Ambre Sultan and Serge Noir.

Ambre Sultan also has many fans around here. Some of my favorite are:

Iris Silver mist - deep, rooty, iris
    Rose de Nuit - rose leather-chypre
    Tubereuse Criminelle - wintergreen and tuberose
    Gris Clair - smokey lavender incense
    Mandarine Mandarin - fruity-floral-spicy oriental
    Vetiver Oriental - creamy oriental vetiver
    Serge Noir - smokey nutmeg incense
    Muscs Kublai Khan - powdery animalic musk

MKK
    Gris Clair
    Fumerie Turque

My favorites of the line and the one's I find easiest to wear are:

Muscs Kublai Khan
    Vetiver Oriental
    Serge Noir
    Fumerie Turque
    Mandarin Mandrine
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Borneo 1834, is the resident gourmand. Dusty patch and cocoa.
    I'm sort of against the grain in LOVING Five O'Clock Au Gingembre.
    Right now I'm wearing Chergui, and fragrance really doesn't get much better than this. It smells absolutely devine.
    And, IMO, Amber Sultan is the best amber on the market.

Oh and one more, though it hardly ever gets love, I've recently come around on a new favorite Un Bois Sepia, a cherry tinged woody scent. Good stuff.

Edit: And how could I forget Vetiver Oriental! A fabulous vetiver scent, but one must at least enjoy iris to enjoy VO.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 14th September 2009 at 01:19 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Serge Noire. For me, it leaves all the others behind. (And I like some of the others a lot.)

But it's emphatically not a blind buy choice. Some people hate it with a passion.

Crayfish

I think Gris Clair is the easiest SL fragrance to wear and has been wonderful this summer. Ambre Sultan would be next - this is only in terms of "ease of use".

My current SL faves, of which my decants are "running on fumes" -

Borneo 1834
    Bois Oriental
    (non-export)
    Daim Blond

Based on what I've tested so far, I liked Chergui the most followed by Ambre Sultan and then Rousse. However, I'd be cautious with Rousse as it's probably something most people wouldn't like, I think? It has a 'cinnamon candy' note that I really like (I think it'll go perfectly with the upcoming months).

Chergui though.. I knew nothing about Serge Lutens' scents when I sampled them but I walked away with that bottle, the lady who sold it to me raved about it as well, and when I got home and read reviews of all Serge's stuff it would seem Chergui is (or at least tied with Ambre Sultan) one of the most favored of his fragrances. It's really quite nice.

In a weird way, the fact those two seem to be his most popular coupled with the fact they were the two I liked the most gives me (and my nose) a bit of confidence

I'll weigh in with Ambre Sultan. I see it referenced in many different men's style and grooming forums with great consistency. Many of these forums filled with men who would normally put very putoff by a frag that bills itself as "unisex."

I believe it's their best seller.

Many of the others mentioned are worth considering too. Chergui is quite nice. I found it a little too similar to Ambre Sultan within the context of my current scents. Chergui comes off fresher. Ambre Sultan a little darker; more sensual.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 14th September 2009 at 01:45 AM.

From my experience I would go with Vetiver Oriental. A unique take on vetiver and loads of ambery goodness. Out of the Lutens I've tried, this is the only one I'd consider a full bottle of. Arabie is also definitely worth a try.

For me Fumerie Turque is the number one, hands down.

I love Serge Lutens perfumes. Most of them are so amazing and wonderful. These choices of mine below, which I think very very great for men:

1. Vetiver Oriental: Luxurious, classic, masculin, complex and also very wearable vetiver.

2. Tumerie Turque: like a bittersweet symphony. Strong but also romantique. One of the best from Serge.

3. Chene: the rum note combining with woody notes makes this scent so special. Easily to be drunk, just by sniffing this unique scent.

4. Chergui: Believe me, you have never tasted any scent that is so diffirently seductive until you discover Chergui.

5. MKK: Very very natural, sensual, and lustful.

Indeed.. I'm still really trying to find the love for Serge Noire - not to pick on your suggestion or your tastes.

I found the opening very challenging on my skin and despite the numerous times I've heard people saying that a certain SL fragrance smells like curry - this one to me actually does. Curried lamb in its opening but, like Fumerie Turque the dry-down is quite alluring if not quite as "elegant".

Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
    Serge Noire. For me, it leaves all the others behind. (And I like some of the others a lot.)

But it's emphatically not a blind buy choice. Some people hate it with a passion.

Crayfish

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    ...I found the opening very challenging on my skin...
    Actually, I pretty much agree with you on the opening - I only really like Serge Noire about two hours in, but I love it so much then that I'm willing to wait. This is the opposite of my reaction to Daim Blond - that one, I love the most seconds after application.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 14th September 2009 at 06:26 AM.

For me,the most preferable Serge Lutens fragrance for men is Serge Noire. Ok, It's not the most complex or the most elegant from SL but it is very masculine. My no.1 favorite from SL.

I sure have fallen off the Lutens bandwagon big time these days.
    That said, my first Lutens is still my favorite: Arabie. I'll admit that it smells like the cheapest reed diffuser Christmas-time oil of all time, and yet, it singularly epitomizes the Lutens style: a high end freak show designed to impress the jaded.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th September 2009 at 02:37 PM.

It's interesting once falls for a fragrance that the somewhat abrasive opening becomes acceptable - and even enjoyable for the imminent dry-down.

And actually I think I'm with you on Daim Blond.. the fresh apricot opening seems to get a tad bit stale in its dry-down, though the suede doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post
    Actually, I pretty much agree with you on the opening - I only really like Serge Noire about two hours in, but I love it so much then that I'm willing to wait. This is the opposite of my reaction to Daim Blond - that one, I love the most seconds after application.

Crayfish

This is the funniest thing I've read in ages

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    That said, my first Lutens is still my favorite: Arabie. I'll admit that it smells like the cheapest reed diffuser Christmas-time oil of all time, and yet, it singularly epitomizes the Lutens style: a high end freak show designed to impress the jaded.

On the "masculine" side of the spectrum:
    Gris Clair
    Iris Silver Mist (this is a must try both for iris lovers AND iris haters, I think the only non-Sheldrake SL and one ofthe bets fragrances outthere)
    Serge Noir
    Chene (a very interesting approach on wood)
    and probably Fourreau Noir (I 've only smelled the wax sample)
    I would advise against Cedre and Santal de Mysore as they are like nothing you would expect from the name. Approach with caution and only if you like the heavier releases of that house.

On the more oriental emd of the spectrum
    Vetiver Oriental (I am sure the vetiver is hidden somewhere in there but it is a remarkable fragrance)
    Borneo 1834
    Daim Blond (few people like this but I believe it to be one of the most refined leather scents around)

And to wrap this up, a question: can anyone suggest a less sweet and projectile alternative (SL or not) to Feminite du Bois?

Oddly enough I don't find Ambre Sultan very "masculine"
    Last edited by cpk; 14th September 2009 at 08:28 AM.

Dependent

For those leaning more on masculine, Gris Clair and Ambre Sultan. Even A La Nuit is pretty masculine for a jasmine scent IMO.

Chergui I agree is a must-try.

Dior Dolce Vita perhaps? I assume you've tried Bois Oriental already?

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    And to wrap this up, a question: can anyone suggest a less sweet and projectile alternative (SL or not) to Feminite du Bois?

Dior Dolce Vita perhaps? I assume you've tried Bois Oriental already?
    Dolce Vita is excellent but I find it even sweeter than FdB. I haven't had the chance to take Bois Oriental for a full test drive . I find some similarities in Tumulte pH but it is just... too little compared to FdB.
    Last edited by cpk; 14th September 2009 at 08:54 AM.

I will definitely weigh in with Ambre Sultan.

However, I have yet to sample Vetiver Oriental, and I do indeed have very high hopes for it.

As for many of the Lutens loves previously mentioned, for my tastes, quite frankly I think there are more overpriced complete misses with Lutens than perhaps any other house than I am aware of.

However, of course, to each his or her own.

TJ

For me it would be:
    Borneo
    Fumerie Turque
    Ambre Sultan

(I don't care for Chergui)

Off-Scenter

I'd say that sampling Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, Chêne, Muscs Koublaï Khän, and Gris Clair might give you a good sense of the Lutens style in what might be considered traditionally "masculine" genres. That said, my favorites are probably Mandarine-Mandarin, Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque, Tubéreuse Criminelle, and Muscs Koublaï Khän. Among the popular Lutens scents, neither Arabie nor Chergui hold all that much appeal for me, and Serge Noire degenerates into something very uninteresting after an hour on my skin.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 14th September 2009 at 07:02 PM.

Apologies to the OP for derailing the thread a bit - oh my, you must take Bois Oriental for a full test drive I've heard that versions of FdB varies significantly over reformulations.. assuming it's for the worse.

I've not yet tried any of the other Bois series (Bois et Fruits, Bois et Musc, etc.)

Dolce Vita is excellent but I find it even sweeter than FdB. I haven't had the chance to take Bois Oriental for a full test drive . I find some similarities in Tumulte pH but it is just... too little compared to FdB.

Thanx and appologies from me too but it is kind of relevant as FdB is one of the absolute beauties of the SL line.
    Last edited by cpk; 14th September 2009 at 08:03 PM.

Apologies to the OP for derailing the thread a bit - oh my, you must take Bois Oriental for a full test drive
    Seconding this! There are many in the Bois series, and so far Bois Oriental is the best I've tried.

+1 on Vetiver Oriental, Fumerie Turque and Chergui. VO was my first bottle in Lutens. Strangely enough, I always associate chilly (i.e. late Fall and Winter) weather when wearing these. Couple of sprays and you are good to go.

Maybe "Bois et Fruits" from Serge?

If leather is your fancy, then give Cuir Mauresque a shot. No blind buying here, though. Reviews run strongly for or against.

IMHO:

Ambre Sultan
    Chypre Rouge

The Ultimate Lutens -

FdB
    BdV
    Fumerie Turque

I'm not a huge Lutens fan. Some are good, some are terrible IMO.

I loved Arabie-- oddly for the reason Kevin described above. To me it reminded me of this gingerbread incense I used to buy at a record shop when I was 22. And it even has a lighter fluid note that takes me back to when I used to light it. I couldn't really ever wear it though-- cumin notes just don't work on me. I got a few negative comments on it.

I did buy a bottle of Ambre Sultan blind. I never quite loved it, as I'm not much a fan of men wearing amber scents-- I thought this would be much better for women. I love benzoin however, and it's causing me to revisit Ambre Sultan. Today, I decided to just let some spill on my wrists a bit more liberally than before and I have to say, I love it!

Ambre Sultan has a tendency to go a little flat and cardboardy if you underapply it. If you overapply it, it's a monster. If you find the sweet spot, the herbs will hang on long enough to maintain a symphonic effect. I'm quite shocked that I've had Ambre Sultan for a few years and am just now starting to find it magical. I still don't know that it fits my style perfectly, but it's so much better than I had earlier thought. Today I find it hypnotic. I always thought it was one of the most overhyped scents, but in my mind, it's starting to earn the praise.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    ...I did buy a bottle of Ambre Sultan blind. I never quite loved it, as I'm not much a fan of men wearing amber scents-- I thought this would be much better for women. I love benzoin however, and it's causing me to revisit Ambre Sultan. Today, I decided to just let some spill on my wrists a bit more liberally than before and I have to say, I love it!

Ambre Sultan has a tendency to go a little flat and cardboardy if you underapply it. If you overapply it, it's a monster. If you find the sweet spot, the herbs will hang on long enough to maintain a symphonic effect. I'm quite shocked that I've had Ambre Sultan for a few years and am just now starting to find it magical. I still don't know that it fits my style perfectly, but it's so much better than I had earlier thought. Today I find it hypnotic. I always thought it was one of the most overhyped scents, but in my mind, it's starting to earn the praise.
    I totally agree. There is a trick to applying Ambre Sultan. If you are able to figure it out, you can be rewarded with IMO the best amber scent out right now. The only other scent that has come close is Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. But the Serge Lutens is so much more herbal - which gives it that salty-open-air-Middle-Eastern-market vibe that I so adore.

Glad to hear this finally clicked with you Indie. I think it's a way sexy scent on a guy.

hmm for men, though not my favorite:

Daim Blond - fruity leather - smells masculine but it is not me at all

Un Bois Vanille - is also an easy to wear vanilla man fragrance

"Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Epic 3 year old thread bump.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Epic 3 year old thread bump.
    There's been a bit of that going on lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    There's been a bit of that going on lately...
    Yeah, and tonight it's all because of happyscent.

I do not understand the forum. DO you encourage to create new thread for everything or bump existing threads. Now I am confused what should I do. Ok I will just create new threads if that is the case.
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Chergui and Ambre Sultan are great choices for anyone who is starting out with this line IMO but there are so many other good ones also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    I do not understand the forum. DO you encourage to create new thread for everything or bump existing threads. Now I am confused what should I do. Ok I will just create new threads if that is the case.
    No worries happyscent. I, like you, bump old threads all the time.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by happyscent View Post
    This is a zombie thread. You don't understand why replying to an OP who's been banned and hasn't logged on since 2010 is a waste of everyone's time?

As such, this topic is not that specific to the OP, and can be still quite relevant in general discussion. So, thread resurrection is not always a bad thing.

Personally though, I don't view Serge Lutens as particularly marketed to men or women, although his characteristic sweet and dense style may not appeal to many men in general.

If forced to pick one from this house, I would say: Gris Clair...

Basenotes Plus

I have some samples of Chergui, Ambre Sultan, and Daim Blonde on the way.

And it would seem fitting to add to an existing thread that discusses in general the Lutens line for men, as opposed to someone making a new thread each time, in the interested of forum economy and future members being able to find threads about brands like this....