Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pipe tobacco frag? (Not Tobacco Vanille!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    A correction: Odori is a line launched by the creator of BOIS 1920. It has nothing to do with I Profumi di Firenze. The review is for the latter's Tabacco and has nothing to do with Odori's product.
    Ahhhh okay...what's this?

http://www.profumodifirenze.it/novita_en.php?id=3

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's the usual Italian mess with names . The full name of the Odori line is Odori - Profumi di Firenze (scents of Florence), as each perfume is supposed to represent some aspect of Florentine culture/history. Notice that this line, like Bois 1920, is produced by Morris, a large (by Italian standards) industrial fragrance firm.
    I Profumi di Firenze, on the other hand, is a smaller, local, totally different operation.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 19th January 2010 at 06:32 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Odor...lardi-576.html

So exactly which scent named "Tabacco" was Turin reviewing if not Odori/Profumo di Firenze?
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th January 2010 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    http://www.fragrantica.com/news/Odor...lardi-576.html

So exactly which scent named "Tabacco" was Turin reviewing if not Odori/Profumo di Firenze?
    Tabacco by I Profumi di Firenze. It is listed on their site. I had it once and didn't like it at all.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 19th January 2010 at 06:34 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

If you check his guide, he seems to review the whole Odori line under the name Profumo di Firenze

Spigo, Cuoio, Zefferano, Tabacco

Vento Canale wasn't even sold as a tobacco fragrance proper (thus the name). I haven't sniffed it in a whilew and my nose is clogged right now, but it is sweet and gourmandy, like flavored pipe tobacco (raspberry notes), though in no way gooey - and less synthetic smelling to me than the somewhat comparable, but overpowering, Bogart pour homme. I have not tried Tom Ford.
    Well, the Tom Ford is very sweet, and very good.
    I see you own Casran, Chergui, Cristobal, Varvatos?
    Would you say Vento Canale has sweetness equal to any of these? less? more?

You know what, you're right. While "I Profumi di Firenze" also has Spigo, Cuoio and Iris they have longer names. And the $$$$ price point suggests Odori. Also, it is Profumo di Firenze in Turin, which it says at the top of the Odori flacons, while "Odori" is etched in at the bottom, below the fragrance name. It is strange he didn't review the flagship scent "Gli Odori" (and comment on the - methinks - hideous bottles.) My apologies for creating confusion where I thought I was clarifying.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Well, the Tom Ford is very sweet, and very good.
    I see you own Casran, Chergui, Cristobal, Varvatos?
    Would you say Vento Canale has sweetness equal to any of these? less? more?
    It's been ages since I smelled any of those. I'd have to compare when my nose is clear again. It IS sweet, no doubt about that.
    My Wardrobe

You know what, you're right. While "I Profumi di Firenze" also has Spigo, Cuoio and Iris they have longer names. And the $$$$ price point suggests Odori. Also, it is Profumo di Firenze in Turin, which it says at the top of the Odori flacons, while "Odori" is etched in at the bottom, below the fragrance name. It is strange he didn't review the flagship scent "Gli Odori" (and comment on the - methinks - hideous bottles.) My apologies for creating confusion where I thought I was clarifying.
    it is confusing...I think Profumo di Firenze is the "mother company" for both Bois and Odori and it's a bunch of marketing junk. Likely, when Turin was reviewiing/writing, the Odori name may not have been attached to his samples or some such.

I had the his guide quite awhile before I pieced it together. The spelling "Tabacco" with an "a" after the "T" is odd. Then I notice all the other Odoris reviewed by their frag name, but as a "Firenze".

Whattttt??? I love the Odori bottles.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 19th January 2010 at 09:49 PM.

Here you go - its a Cavendish Black cologne - just like your bf carries. Its from an artisan soapmaker who makes great shaving soaps.

http://www.thegentlemensquarter.com/...p?cid=5&pid=67

Check out Varvatos Vintage. It smell kind like unsmoked tobacco and rawhide leather on the skin. It isn't as masculine on paper.

I imagine Clint Eastwood wearing this. It's a proud member of my wardrobe.

Hmm,

I seem to call "Aramis - Havana" and "Polo Green" as having distinct pipe tobacco scents, though forgive me if I'm wrong.

- I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I wore Polo for years and sure don't remember that OR if there was such a note it wasn't in the vein that OP is seeking

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfizzy View Post
    Hi all, wondering if you had any ideas about finding a pipe tobacco fragrance. My BF carries around pipe tobacco in his jacket and it smells wonderful. I'd like him to smell of it without the jacket on! It's Black Cavendish tobacco, a rich, slightly vanilla-y blend. I know Tobacco Vanille would be the obvious choice, but a) it's overpriced, and b) I find Tom Ford kind of annoying. It would be nice if there was a little smoke in it as well, like the smell of a pipe. Anyone tried the Demeters? (Pipe Tobacco, Whiskey Tobacco, and This Is Not a Pipe.)

It seems like a lot of things have tobacco in the list of notes but aren't very tobacco-ish, I guess because smoking is so unacceptable these days!
    Ok, if we are using Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille as a baseline, a reference point......is there anything in Tobacco vanille you think should be more prominent or less prominent?

Of all the obvious notes:

Pipe Tobacco
    Tonka/Coumarin
    Vanilla
    dried fruit
    clove/spice
    cocoa

The reason i ask is that i have all the samples coming my way, and feel I can do everyone on the board a great service if we use TFTV as a baseline for what to compare them to.

I have already tested or own:

Tom Ford Tobacco vanille
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Micheal Kors for men
    Very Valentino
    Versace Dreamer, Versace man
    Burberry London
    Armani Attitude
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Aramis havana
    Maitre Eau Des Iles

The samples I have coming are:

Odori Tabacco
    Guerlain Spirituese Double vanille
    Alt innsbruck
    TGQ Black Cavendish extrait
    Sonoma Scent studio Tabac Aurea
    Demeter Pipe Tobacco
    Demeter Whiskey Tobacco
    Demeter This is Not a Pipe
    Ava Luxe Sweet Tobacco
    CB I Hate Perfume Pipe Tobacco Premium Accord
    CB I hate Perfume Smokey Tobacco premium accord

So I'm sure out of those we may find a suitable, less expensive scent that may even be more to your liking than Tobacco Vanille, just be as descriptive as possible about what would ideally lessen or strengthen in TObacco Vanille besides the price
    Last edited by DULLAH; 21st January 2010 at 05:43 PM.

PinkFizzy, have you found your fix yet?

Some very nice suggestions gentlemen .
    I have had the pleasure of trying round half of these mentioned .
    Another one we can add to this list is :

" GRAN VALOR " by Maurer & Wirtz

Here's a link with some fresh discussions on it
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/230...alor?p=1730969

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dimitrios,
    How would you say it compares to the other M&W Tabacs?
    And what scent in this thread would you say it is closest to?

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    You lucky lucky guy! Pardon the noobish question, but does Lancome own Tom Ford? Why would the Tom Ford line, Private Blends especially, be carried at a Lancome outlet?
    AKAIK, Lancome manufactures the Tom Ford fragrance line. I don't know if they have a stake in the "Tom Ford" brand.
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

I've been on quite a tobacco streak lately. Here are a few that I enjoy wearing:

Aramis Havana
    Creed Tabarome
    Trussardi Inside Man
    Cuba Red
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

The original Monsieur Rochas (not the pink stuff) was formulated to smell like pipe tobacco. It's really good. I know you can buy decants of it from TPC, but it is not available in it's original formula anywhere easily as far as I know.

I am going to make a bizarre thread bump here and recommend Vivienne Westwood's Boudoir for a tobacco accord.

There is a strong tobacco/tobacco leaf accord here once you get past the sweet, girly topnotes. DO NOT look at the bottle and pink juice inside... LOL! This is a vanilla/tobacco scent.

I think the review here is interesting...

http://www.peredepierre.com/2009/11/...-westwood.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Bogart Pour Homme

Equipage/Hermes = cold pipe.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, there was alot to read through.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Nope, no such luck, unfortunately! It's the Cosmetics Company Store for Lancome at the Premium Outlets here... they have the whole line for $132. They have the roller sample set as well, the rest of the Tom Ford goodies (Black Orchid whole line, White Patchouli, etc), plus all kinds of other things. If you happen to be in Orlando and go there, there are two of the same store in the mall and only one has them (the one near Banana Republic, not the one near the parking garage).
    this is good to know! We have both the Lancome and Estee Lauder outlets at a mall nearby, so I'll go and check to see if they have this. One of my friends was smitten by Tabacco Vanille, but didn't want to pay that much!

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Ok, if we are using Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille as a baseline, a reference point......is there anything in Tobacco vanille you think should be more prominent or less prominent?

Of all the obvious notes:

Pipe Tobacco
    Tonka/Coumarin
    Vanilla
    dried fruit
    clove/spice
    cocoa

The reason i ask is that i have all the samples coming my way, and feel I can do everyone on the board a great service if we use TFTV as a baseline for what to compare them to.

I have already tested or own:

Tom Ford Tobacco vanille
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Micheal Kors for men
    Very Valentino
    Versace Dreamer, Versace man
    Burberry London
    Armani Attitude
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    Aramis havana
    Maitre Eau Des Iles

The samples I have coming are:

Odori Tabacco
    Guerlain Spirituese Double vanille
    Alt innsbruck
    TGQ Black Cavendish extrait
    Sonoma Scent studio Tabac Aurea
    Demeter Pipe Tobacco
    Demeter Whiskey Tobacco
    Demeter This is Not a Pipe
    Ava Luxe Sweet Tobacco
    CB I Hate Perfume Pipe Tobacco Premium Accord
    CB I hate Perfume Smokey Tobacco premium accord

So I'm sure out of those we may find a suitable, less expensive scent that may even be more to your liking than Tobacco Vanille, just be as descriptive as possible about what would ideally lessen or strengthen in TObacco Vanille besides the price
    Hey up Dullah,
    your search is one after my own heart and I'm horribly interested in the outcome, after some searching I settled with Fumerie Turque, maybe I should have tried harder . Of the ones on your sample list I've tried the Odori....meh, the Spiriteuse, is a personal failure on me though lovely on others, and while the Tabac Aurea is gorgeous I find it too feminine for my tastes. Some one has mentioned Gran Valor, it certainly can't be called feminine but it is meant to be out of production, either way it's at the bottom end of the scale.

Hope you post when you decide.