Code of Conduct

Default Perfume to appeal to one's inner tomboy...

Ever since early childhood, I have never apologised for being a tomboy...nor did I ever lack for masculine attention in womanhood! Tomboys, IMHO, seemed to have more fun than the pink-dressed girls in their frilly frocks, poor things, who were told not to ruin their dresses by playing in the dirt.

This scent line called Les Garconnes is something of interest to me, naturally. A garconne, in French, is a tomboy.

The line seems to like to blend traditional feminine floral notes with traditional masculine ones. I am intrigued.

The ultimate garconne of the 19th century was George Sand. A baroness who took her husband's philandering by some affairs of her own, George was a novelist in her own right. She even smoked cigarettes, wore men's trousers and top hats. The perfume from Parfums d'Histoire (by MPG) has a scent called George Sand, but at $145 a pop, it's a bit pricey for me. It sounds very luxurious.

The cheap price of these garconnes scents are low enough to sample!

(For the record, I admire George Sand. She was outspoken and very much her own woman. When the 1851 coup d'etat made the president Louis-Napoleon into emperor, she spoke out against him. Louis-Napoleon used his English mistress' money to fund the coup, whom he met while a guest at Comte d'Orsay's mother-in-law's home in London. The Comte himself openly called the coup "a swindle." When the Comte intervened with a letter on George's behalf, she said she'd dedicate a novel to him in gratitude. It never happened as he was dead within a year.)

http://www.beautyhabit.com/crazylibe...garconnes.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th October 2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Perfume to appeal to one's inner tomboy...

Interesting line. I like the concept, and the little stories with each one. You'll have to tell us what you think. The price is definitely reasonable!

(PS - Good for George Sand! )

Darn you, Primrose, I have so much to do today, and "Impromptu" is just sitting there on my Roku, waiting to be rewatched. STOP TEMPTING ME.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    Darn you, Primrose, I have so much to do today, and "Impromptu" is just sitting there on my Roku, waiting to be rewatched. STOP TEMPTING ME.
    Then you *must* see ""Children of the Century," which is about the torrid and tormented relationship between George and poet/dandy Alfred de Musset! The costumes were a collaboration with designer Christian Lacroix!

Their cryptic love letters and the MPG Histoires de Parfum scent "George Sand":

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...gs_george.html

And, yes, Redneck, George *was* her own woman. Not pretty by any stretch, but with a libido and mind like a steel trap that men found attractive.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Last edited by Primrose; 15th September 2009 at 06:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Their cryptic love letters and the MPG Histoires de Parfum scent "George Sand":

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds...gs_george.html

And, yes, Redneck, George *was* her own woman. Not pretty by any stretch, but with a libido and mind like a steel trap that men found attractive.
    Very nice review of the scent - it teaches about 5 times as much about Sand as about the scent itself. I can imagine how ecstatic de Barry was to get a chance to sniff her perfume-bottle pendant! (And fascinating how she captures men's attention even now. ) I wouldn't fault her looks, either. But as mentioned here...

Largely temperamental, rashly creative, fiery and opinionated.
    a.k.a. SPICY. Not all men are attracted to such women, but for those who are, they are generally in short supply and high demand. A short read of her bio, and it's not difficult at all to see why she had famous men lining up.

Basenotes Institution

Thank you for the thoughts of being a tomboy of which I fall into that category . Even though I have become more girly , I am still at heart a tomboy.I have many tomboy stories and memories. I guess that's why Jicky appeals to me ! I loved the George Sand article - thank you for that.
    George Sand - what a fascinating character and woman . The scent itself sounds very appealing with references to a similarity with vintage Opium parfum and great but subtle longevity - who can resist.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th September 2009 at 01:43 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sephora carries these..some of them at least. I remember thinking that I needed to go back for the Gardenia...now I think I definitely will! Very nice, thanks.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

I adore your affinity for a 19th c radical sensibility, Primrose! I'm a huge fan of both William Morris and the Brook Farm Transcendentalists, myself.....but my major historical fetish is for the first Quarter of the 20th century and that notion of "modern." A marvelous era that birthed amazing art, fashion, politics, and PERFUME!

(Sits happily with Primrose in the Way-Back Machine.....)
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by YouCanCallMeMo View Post
    I adore your affinity for a 19th c radical sensibility, Primrose! I'm a huge fan of both William Morris and the Brook Farm Transcendentalists, myself.....but my major historical fetish is for the first Quarter of the 20th century and that notion of "modern." A marvelous era that birthed amazing art, fashion, politics, and PERFUME!

(Sits happily with Primrose in the Way-Back Machine.....)
    Mo, the line of Les Garconnes is actually based on the women of the 1920s--the flappers with cropped hair, flat bosoms and emancipated ways! Josephine Baker, Gabrielle Chanel...check out the Beauty Habit site. I only added my interpretation of George Sand because she was such an orignal garconne--wearing men's clothes and approprating men's privileges. Women had no real rights in those days and she bucked the system.

Quote Originally Posted by laral28 View Post
    Sephora carries these..some of them at least. I remember thinking that I needed to go back for the Gardenia...now I think I definitely will! Very nice, thanks.
    Lara, I ordered a couple and hope to review them here...they seem like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Thank you for the thoughts of being a tomboy of which I fall into that category . Even though I have become more girly , I am still at heart a tomboy.I have many tomboy stories and memories. I guess that's why Jicky appeals to me ! I loved the George Sand article - thank you for that.
    George Sand - what a fascinating character and woman . The scent itself sounds very appealing with references to a similarity with vintage Opium parfum and great but subtle longevity - who can resist.
    Mysticknot, I am still as tomboyish as ever--as far as being boyish with long hair to my waist... LOL! I adore the "men's" scents as much as the girly florals. I love YSL Paris and 24 Faubourg, but also MPG Parfum d'Habit. I was such a tomboy as a little girl that my Mum was forced to make matching undershorts for my dresses so I would not flash my panties climbing in playground sets! I hated being told to "act like a lady." I fenced in college, learned to SCUBA dive, know military aircraft history (WWI and WII) and probably can tie a full-Windsor knot in a tie better than most men...and yet I never lacked for dates.
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th September 2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: add info

Basenotes Institution

Mysticknot, I am still as tomboyish as ever--as far as being boyish with long hair to my waist... LOL! I adore the "men's" scents as much as the girly florals. I love YSL Paris and 24 Faubourg, but also MPG Parfum d'Habit. I was such a tomboy as a little girl that my Mum was forced to make matching undershorts for my dressed so I would not flash my panties climbing in playground sets! I hated being told to "act like a lady." I fenced in college, learned to SCUBA dive, know military aircraft history (WWI and WII) and probably can tie a full-Windsor knot in a tie better than most men...and yet I never lacked for dates.
    Well Primrose, I think you are just marvelous. I too ,till recently had hair to my bum - lopped some inches off.( Luckily my hair grows fairly quickly . I grew my hair as a challenge to myself to see how far it would go - then people started calling me Cousin It ) I still yearn inwardly to be able to have a cropped style !
    I think you must be a fabulous woman. I love seeing and hearing of strong women !
    I have pictures of me looking just like a boy when I was 6-9 years old. I swam ,hiked,played cricket, soccer,field hockey and collected spiders in matchboxes. Today ,I enjoy trying to compete with the men in the weights room at the gym- silly I know because I can lift much less than they can ( sometimes only ! sometimes we are on par ) but it kind of spurs me on.

Oh Yeah .... I also kept black ants in a powder puff tub by my bed as a child, kind of freaked my sister out !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 16th September 2009 at 05:05 AM.

Well Primrose, I think you are just marvelous. I too ,till recently had hair to my bum - lopped some inches off.( Luckily my hair grows fairly quickly . I grew my hair as a challenge to myself to see how far it would go - then people started calling me Cousin It ) I still yearn inwardly to be able to have a cropped style !
    I think you must be a fabulous woman. I love seeing and hearing of strong women !
    I have pictures of me looking just like a boy when I was 6-9 years old. I swam ,hiked,played cricket, soccer,field hockey and collected spiders in matchboxes. Today ,I enjoy trying to compete with the men in the weights room at the gym- silly I know because I can lift much less than they can ( sometimes only ! sometimes we are on par ) but it kind of spurs me on.

Oh Yeah .... I also kept black ants in a powder puff tub by my bed as a child, kind of freaked my sister out !
    Those glowing terms! You flatter me, Mysticknot! I don't think of myself as masculine or feminine. I am just...me...and that's the way it turns out. You also seem very happy in who you are. BTW, I once wore my hair short as a sailor--down to the shaven neck. Then I went to long again.

Some days 24 Faubourg, some days Crown Perfumery Sandringham...

Didn't you say you like Dirty English?!

Basenotes Institution

Those glowing terms! You flatter me, Mysticknot! I don't think of myself as masculine or feminine. I am just...me...and that's the way it turns out. You also seem very happy in who you are. BTW, I once wore my hair short as a sailor--down to the shaven neck. Then I went to long again.

Some days 24 Faubourg, some days Crown Perfumery Sandringham...

Didn't you say you like Dirty English?!
    Oh Primrose, take the flattery - you have character and individuality - that's what's wonderful too. Not like these celebrities who all look the same ,act the same. ( I think most people here have guessed that I don't really think much of celebrities ! )

I am very happy to be who I am ,you're right. Individuality is such an important thing .

Dirty English is fantastic ! ( 24 Faubourg was my signature perfume exclusively for several years )

Ooh, I love where this discussion is going!
    Re: tomboy children, do take a peek at Annie van Gemert's recent project. She shot portraits of children who didn't confirm to gender expectations (though they're not gender dysphoric), and had follow-ups right to the brink of puberty. They're excellent, intimate portraits that really make the viewer question their own suppositions.
    Some more of them here.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

You might want to check out Juliette has a Gun's new offerring: Calamity J

I reveived the two stick perfumes today!

I ordered the Pompon Gardenia and the Hommage a Gabrielle.

The sticks (sold as Crazysticks) are tiny and like a large lipstick. The cardboard packaging is very eco-minded. There are also no parabens (petrolatum and paraffin) and it seems to be safely formulated. My only beef was the "finished product not tested on animals" note on the box. This simply means they rubbed the ingredients in rabbits' eyes... They also say "non teste sur les animaux," so go figure.

At $13.00 USD to $18.00 each, they are fun to try. These were a cheap and fun blind buy for me.

As a solid scent, there is not real drydown as such.

The leather in the Hommage is nice. The notes: peony, cedar, crystals of eleni, leather. I found I got the most scent and sillage from running a stick all the way up and down my arm.

The Gardenia is very floral. The notes: gardenia, lime, tobacco. I expected to smell the tobacco in the deeper notes but this still came across as floral on me.

I would not say these are sophisticated in the packaging, but a cute idea and the scents dont' seem run-of-the-mill.
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th September 2009 at 04:07 AM.

Tomboys need to go with ultra sexy because they are ultra sexy. Coco at night! or EA Green Tea for the daytime. That's what I like on my Tomboy!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    You might want to check out Juliette has a Gun's new offerring: Calamity J
    I know, I checked out perfumeshrine's review recently - sounds great. May have to sample . Tomboys rule OK !

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Perfume to appeal to one's inner tomboy...

Primrose: I have a sample of the MPG scent "George Sand" and I like it. More about the Compte. Keep the historical notes comming.

Ever since early childhood, I have never apologised for being a tomboy...nor did I ever lack for masculine attention in womanhood! Tomboys, IMHO, seemed to have more fun than the pink-dressed girls in their frilly frocks, poor things, who were told not to ruin their dresses by playing in the dirt.

This scent line called Les Garconnes is something of interest to me, naturally. A garconne, in French, is a tomboy.

The line seems to like to blend traditional feminine floral notes with traditional masculine ones. I am intrigued.

The ultimate garconne of the 19th century was George Sand. A baroness who took her husband's philandering by some affairs of her own, George was a novelist in her own right. She even smoked cigarettes, wore men's trousers and top hats. The perfume from Histoires de Parfums (by MPG) has a scent called George Sand, but at $145 a pop, it's a bit pricey for me. It sounds very luxurious.

The cheap price of these garconnes scents are low enough to sample!

(For the record, I admire George Sand. She was outspoken and very much her own woman. When the 1851 coup d'etat made the president Louis-Napoleon into emperor, she spoke out against him. Louis-Napoleon used his English mistress' money to fund the coup, whom he met while a guest at Comte d'Orsay's mother-in-law's home in London. The Comte himself openly called the coup "a swindle." When the Comte intervened with a letter on George's behalf, she said she'd dedicate a novel to him in gratitude. It never happened as he was dead within a year.)

http://www.beautyhabit.com/crazylibe...garconnes.html

The perfume from Histoires de Parfums (by MPG) has a scent called George Sand, but at $145 a pop, it's a bit pricey for me. It sounds very luxurious
    The Histories de Parfums (trans: Stories of Perfume) George Sands is a different perfume than the MPG George Sands perfume that is part of the Les Parfums Historique line( trans: Historic Perfumes).

HdP George Sands: Top note : Tahitian gardenia, Corsica peach, Hawaiian Pineapple,Heart Note : clove, Indian jasmine, lily of the valley, rose of Morocco, Base Note : Sandalwood, patchouli, Benzoin, vanilla, white musk: notes from the HdP website

MPG George Sands: Top Note: Lemon, bergamot Heart Note: Patchouli, rose, amber Base Note: Musk, Mysore sandalwood).
    Last edited by surreality; 18th September 2009 at 03:27 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Primrose: I have a sample of the MPG scent "George Sand" and I like it. More about the Compte. Keep the historical notes comming.
    N_Tesla, thanks for the tip. I love history *and* perfume!

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    The Histories de Parfums (trans: Stories of Perfume) George Sands is a different perfume than the MPG George Sands perfume that is part of the Les Parfums Historique line( trans: Historic Perfumes).

HdP George Sands: Top note : Tahitian gardenia, Corsica peach, Hawaiian Pineapple,Heart Note : clove, Indian jasmine, lily of the valley, rose of Morocco, Base Note : Sandalwood, patchouli, Benzoin, vanilla, white musk: notes from the HdP website

MPG George Sands: Top Note: Lemon, bergamot Heart Note: Patchouli, rose, amber Base Note: Musk, Mysore sandalwood).
    Surreality, I am scratching my head over the Hawaiian pineapple note. How does that reflect George, a Frenchwoman? I can see Tahitian gardenia and Moroccan rose, seeing what was happening for France at that time in the world. It does not make sense to me.

I knew there is a famous portrait of George, in spite of all her tomboyishness, wearing a red rose in her hair. It seems the MPG is more in spirit with her true history.
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th September 2009 at 04:26 AM.

A follow-up..I stand corrected...Sephora carries the sticks but not the Les Garconnes. However, while I was in Houston last week I bought the Pompon Gardenia...loves it!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

I also saw the sticks at Sephora but not Les Garconnes. I, too, have the Pompon Gardenia...and like it better than the Hommage a Gabrielle.

Wow what a wonderful thread!! Primrose, you have added a whole new facet to my enjoyment of perfume. I love history and have added Impromptu and Children of the Century to my must watch list.

I have 2 daughters, one is the epitome of a girly girl and wore only dresses and skirts until she was 7 or 8. The little one is tomboy all the way- my older one used to beg me to stop dressing her sister like a boy! LOL I had nothing to do with the choices

She is getting a little more girly as she grows but is super sporty strong and full of "anything you can do I can do better" chutzpah!!

Now I must re sniff George Sand....all of them! Was the MPG or the Histoires George Sand better received? Off to read reviews

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Ooh, I love where this discussion is going!
    Re: tomboy children, do take a peek at Annie van Gemert's recent project. She shot portraits of children who didn't confirm to gender expectations (though they're not gender dysphoric), and had follow-ups right to the brink of puberty. They're excellent, intimate portraits that really make the viewer question their own suppositions.
    Some more of them here.
    Those are great photos! I wish I could see an exhibit! In this vein, has anyone ever heard the song by Dar Williams called When I Was a Boy? Here are the lyrics (I find them very moving):

When I Was a Boy

I won't forget when Peter Pan came to my house, took my hand
    I said I was a boy; I'm glad he didn't check.
    I learned to fly, I learned to fight
    I lived a whole life in one night
    We saved each other's lives out on the pirate's deck.

And I remember that night
    When I'm leaving a late night with some friends
    And I hear somebody tell me it's not safe,
    someone should help me
    I need to find a nice man to walk me home.

When I was a boy, I scared the pants off of my mom,
    Climbed what I could climb upon
    And I don't know how I survived,
    I guess I knew the tricks that all boys knew.

And you can walk me home, but I was a boy, too.

I was a kid that you would like, just a small boy on her bike
    Riding topless, yeah, I never cared who saw.
    My neighbor come outside to say, "Get your shirt,"
    I said "No way, it's the last time I'm not breaking any law."

And now I'm in this clothing store, and the signs say less is more
    More that's tight means more to see, more for them, not more for me
    That can't help me climb a tree in ten seconds flat

When I was a boy, See that picture? That was me
    Grass-stained shirt and dusty knees
    And I know things have gotta change,
    They got pills to sell, they've got implants to put in,
    they've got implants to remove

But I am not forgetting...that I was a boy too

And like the woods where I would creep, it's a secret I can keep
    Except when I'm tired, 'cept when I'm being caught off guard
    And I've had a lonesome awful day, the conversation finds its way
    To catching fire-flies out in the backyard.

And so I tell the man I'm with about the other life I lived
    And I say, "Now you're top gun, I have lost and you have won"
    And he says, "Oh no, no, can't you see

When I was a girl, my mom and I we always talked
    And I picked flowers everywhere that I walked.
    And I could always cry, now even when I'm alone I seldom do
    And I have lost some kindness
    But I was a girl too.
    And you were just like me, and I was just like you"

[Editing to add: I don't know what fragrance would appeal to a Tomboy. Maybe Demeter's Firefly, some others in that line.]
    Last edited by lilybelle; 26th September 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Blog Entries

See our recent 3 x 3 sniff in which George Sand was one of the scents.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=236523
    It's one of my favorite scents of all time. So complex & sexy. Just great for fall!
    Last edited by kumquat; 26th September 2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Wow what a wonderful thread!! Primrose, you have added a whole new facet to my enjoyment of perfume. I love history and have added Impromptu and Children of the Century to my must watch list.

I have 2 daughters, one is the epitome of a girly girl and wore only dresses and skirts until she was 7 or 8. The little one is tomboy all the way- my older one used to beg me to stop dressing her sister like a boy! LOL I had nothing to do with the choices

She is getting a little more girly as she grows but is super sporty strong and full of "anything you can do I can do better" chutzpah!!

Now I must re sniff George Sand....all of them! Was the MPG or the Histoires George Sand better received? Off to read reviews
    3xasif, I also love history...and perfume!

The MPG was based on George's real patchouli-based scent!

BTW, you might want to see those films first as there is a brothel/orgy scene in "Children of the Century." Might no be the best for young girls or tweens.

Of kumquat's research on George being a lesbian: "I did a little research on George Sand the writer. She dressed as a man, partly as a protest of the treatment of women.
    Also to get more attention as a writer than she would have received as a woman, I suspect. But, she probably was gay as well.
    This perfume has a lot of chutzpah, which is what I like about it. It is a gutsy oriental that "takes no prisoners" as RHM already observed." George might have had an affair with Marie Dorval, an actress, but her lovers were overwhemlingly men. (When people gender-bend as did George, biographers--in search of a best-seller--tend to make all kinds of speculations--making assertions in their biographies that are in no way acknowleged as mere speculation.)

lilybelle, thank you for sharing those lyrics--I could relate!!
    Last edited by Primrose; 26th September 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Fabulous thread !
    Kumquat- a great 3X3 sniff thread too.
    I think I must try the Histoires George Sand - what a woman she was !

Top note : Tahitian gardenia, Corsica peach, Hawaiian Pineapple,
    Heart Note : clove, Indian jasmine, lily of the valley, rose of Morocco,
    Base Note : Sandalwood, patchouli, Benzoin, vanilla, white musk

Oh Lordie ! I think I will be in love !!!!
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 26th September 2009 at 04:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Perfume to appeal to one's inner tomboy...

Fabulous thread !
    Kumquat- a great 3X3 sniff thread too.
    I think I must try the Histoires George Sand - what a woman she was !
    Be aware - I like the MPG Geo. Sand not either of the the Histoires versions. They are completely different, despite the similar names of the parent companies.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Be aware - I like the MPG Geo. Sand not either of the the Histoires versions. They are completely different, despite the similar names of the parent companies.
    Thanks for the help and the hint Kumquat ! So I've now added the MPG picture !

Notes : lemon, bergamot, patchouli, rose, amber, musk, Mysore sandalwood, spices - ( source : Luckyscent )

Another totally yummy scent !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 26th September 2009 at 05:17 PM.