Code of Conduct

Default A Total 180 on Amouage Epic Man

At first I thought, $285 for another Avignon?????? But after giving Epic a few complete wearings, I have to say, for me, it is probably the most luxurious, animalistic frankincense fragrance I've ever experienced. At first it seems so straight forward: Bam! frankincense, the end. But upon multiple wearings, the evolution reveals nutmeg, patchouli and castoreum. ***** in my book. Fit for a sexy, dark haired Arabian Prince or a wannabe Prince, like me.
    Epic Woman is also amazing, but completely different, a rich, spicy rose.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th September 2009 at 06:45 AM.

Default Re: A Total 180 on Amouage Epic Man

Interesting, Ruggles - I'm going to have to give this one another, well - many more tries. All I got was a richer Tabarome Millesime.. odd comparison, I know, but the dry-down reminded me of TM's opening I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Interesting, Ruggles - I'm going to have to give this one another, well - many more tries. All I got was a richer Tabarome Millesime.. odd comparison, I know, but the dry-down reminded me of TM's opening I guess.
    Wow, Epic doesn't strike me as being very similar to TM. For me, TM is all about ginger and then a great disappearing act. Epic lasts for the entire day on me.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th September 2009 at 07:19 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I was given a lot of samples and have used almost 3 now. Still cannot get past the "opulent, longer lasting Bel Ami" feeling. A quality frag though, no doubt about that. May still acquire a bottle someday
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Indeed, it lasts all day on me too from a tiny spray. I thought I sensed ginger in Epic.. or a slight ginger/tobacco with ambergris? I really haven't nailed it yet, but there is something they both share (aside from being overpriced, in my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Wow, Epic doesn't strike me as being very similar to TM. For me, TM is all about ginger and then a great disappearing act. Epic lasts for the entire day on me.

Sorry, I have to ask - vintage Bel Ami or the current one?

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I was given a lot of samples and have used almost 3 now. Still cannot get past the "opulent, longer lasting Bel Ami" feeling. A quality frag though, no doubt about that. May still acquire a bottle someday

Anthony:

I am up late again. With perfaddict, you can rest assure that he is referring to the Vintage Bel Ami, not the terribly reformulated spice bomb Bel Ami.

Also, as to the longevity of Epic Man, someone remarked that Epic Man had to be the most watered down Amouage release to date.

I am finding these remarks about the incredible longevity of Epic Man very intriguing as well as promising as I am still seeking my Amouage Holy Grail.

Best,

TJ

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    ....With perfaddict, you can rest assure that he is referring to the Vintage Bel Ami, not the terribly reformulated spice bomb Bel Ami.

Also, as to the longevity of Epic Man, someone remarked that Epic Man had to be the most watered down Amouage release to date.

I am finding these remarks about the incredible longevity of Epic Man very intriguing as well as promising as I am still seeking my Amouage Holy Grail.

Best,

TJ
    Yep. Vintage Bel Ami. Thanks, TJ.

Epic is certainly not watered down and has Gold Man- and Ubar-like longevity. You wake up the next morning and its the first thing you smell.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Institution

I have only smelled it once and instantly disliked it, so I guess I'm going to have to give this one more skin time. I love frankincense, yet I don't remember EFM being very frankincense prominent on me. The top notes were very sedate and almost 'typical' which I tend really get annoyed by.

But I trust your nose Ruggles...so I'll give it another shot.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think what distinguishes epic man from Avignon (and others mentioned) is the strong oud note, which is well done, without the barnyard qualities sometimes found in Oud fragrances (le Labo Oud anyone?) and which is not prominent at all in Avignon. There is also a resinous, almost pine-like opening, which I assumed is where they got the idea for the green bottle.

This is more challenging to wear than Avignon, but more interesting I think, more cerebral. It does smell like quality.

Basenotes Institution

It smelled soapy to me (woody/floral soapy) almost in an 80's way. Kind of like a incensey Antaeus. Not bad, per se, but not my thing.

I still have to retry this.

Ruggles has inspired me to order a decant of this one.. I could definitely see myself wearing it without any problem, it's just a matter of how distinctive it is next to the other gorgeous and unique Amouage creations. That will be how I gauge if it is FBW or not.

Ruggles has inspired me to order a decant of this one.. I could definitely see myself wearing it without any problem, it's just a matter of how distinctive it is next to the other gorgeous and unique Amouage creations. That will be how I gauge if it is FBW or not.
    Mr Sinatra, I think you'll love it! Scoobie, doobie, do. Doh, doh, doh, dah dah.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th October 2009 at 03:32 AM.

Of course once the price comes into consideration, Amouage turns into a bit of a love/hate for the often compulsive fragrance enthusiast like myself.

Insofar as comparisons - vintage Bel Ami? My own comparison to Tabarome Millesime? I really don't know.. this is why I really gotta give this one some time, love and careful assessment methinks. Hell, I certainly love the bottle enough, but that goes for just about any of the Amouage line!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Mr Sinatra, I think you'll love it! Scoobie, doobie, do. Doh, doh, doh, dah dah.