Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up S o t d Tuesday 15 September 2009

:bounce::bounce::bounce:Great Tuesday all:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Patricia de Nicolaï ' s PATCHOULI HOMME

Parfums de Nicolaï

As per The Scented Salamander :

The fragrance centers on patchouli which is dubbed the "cornerstone" of the composition. The note is blended with frankincense and sandalwood from Mysore. The opening rests on lavender, Turkish rose and geranium Bourbon. A spicy facet evolves thanks to bay oil and cinnamon oil. "Beginning with an orange flavour, a deep leather note establishes its masculinity. Wrapped in amber and vanilla, this fragrance stimulates your senses as soon as you uncork the flask: a pure folly!"
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 15th September 2009 at 02:40 PM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: S o t d Tuesday 15 September 2009

Ivoire de Balmain pour moi!
    Pardon my French but I am missing France and need to visit again soon.

Bulgari BLACK

Good morning! I have a head cold, and while I wanted to wear my new Coeur d'été (thanks again, Hebe!), I didn't want to be the only person not benefitting from it, so I am scent-free today.

Sitting in the library I have to write a paper on "Keyboard music in the Elizabethan Age". No. 88 (Czech&Speake) would have been the obvious choice ("...an original Elizabethan recipe"). However, I'm wearing Azzaro pour Homme which makes me feel...extremely self-confident.

I am testing a few things - we may have the makings of a mishmash today, for my wrists and neck are still free....

Creative Universe Element of Attraction - pleasant fruity scent with mandarin, rose, amber and vanilla.

Creative Universe Mare - reminds me of MH Fleurs de Sel. Salty beachy scent, but not really me.

SSS Opal - aaaaaah, perfect cosy musk!

CSP Ecume de The - light, airy tea fragrance courtesy of Lovethescents. Juliette Binoche's signature scent, so I am hoping it will correct my rather square jawline.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 15th September 2009 at 09:17 AM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Well, I didn't bid on the Miller Harris Fleur de Bois on Ebay. I didn't think it was 'me'. And anyway, I spent my money on a bottle of Terre de Bois I hunted out in an ebay store. This makes me very happy.

Having enjoyed Miller Harris' Feuilles de Tabac all day yesterday, I'm now in full-blown warming and spicy mode. So today it's Serge Lutens' Ambre Sultan. Hubba hubba! This is perfect for my newest obsession: making chutney. Last night I chutted for the first time. Small helped chop the apples. It was a 'HodgePodge' chutney, made with all the odd bits of vegetables in the garden - courgette, green tomatoes - made up to weight with what fruit I had lying around - nectarines and a couple of plums. That sounds like an OK combo don't you think? Now I just have to let it mature in the jars for a couple of weeks and I'll have something to put in my cheese sandwiches at last. Yay!

I am the proud owner of a 6lb pumpkin I bought from the farm shop and this is destined to become more chutney. Also 6lb of plums will become Spiced Plum jam. I mean, Plum Jam can be a bit blah, can't it? So I thought I'd add spice and maybe some brandy or rum to perk it up a bit. What do you all think of that? Good idea or bad idea?

So that's my day planned!
    I hope you all have fun today.
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

VM, you're KILLIN' me !

Good sniffers, you folk !
    I'm off to work for a few crazies in a row, the prep for Rosh Hashanah, then work w/e ;-)

AL Ambra Tibet will do me FINE-
    She never fails to please, it brings out one's inner comfort glutton ;-)

Hope our angels are feeling better...any birthdays ?
    Kewart- I miss France too, dammit.
    [Tant pis pour nous, ma soeur ;-)...working sods don't often get to play as they'd prefer !]

Wordie- very funny jokes, you hooliganness !
    Kisses to the sweet adventurous Small.
    [Oh, we crossed ! Next week, when I'm CALMER, I'll send you some of the Fleurs, OK ?]
    Last edited by chayaruchama; 15th September 2009 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post

CSP Ecume de The - light, airy tea fragrance courtesy of Lovethescents. Juliette Binoche's signature scent, so I am hoping it will correct my rather square jawline.
    hahahahahahahahah! Love that way of thinking!!!!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Richard James Savile Row. Have a great Tuesday everyone!

Top Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Ginger, Green Tea Leaves, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Basil
    Middle Notes: Cardamom, Coriander, Tuberose, Lily of the Valley, Rose, Lavender
    Base Notes: Suede, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Amber, Vetiver, Musk, Oak Moss

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

That chutney sounds good, W! I also belive that a plum jam even without spices will be all right, but I like it overcooked, almost caramelized (not burnt!) -- you will not be able to store it in the refrigerator though for the fear of sugared solids forming in it.

Speaking of plums, I will wear rose-plummy-woody-ambery Calvin Klein Secret Obsession, I think -- cooler nights and warm days call for it.

Dropped my pretty kitty off at the vet's this morning for neutering -sad business, but hey, it needs to be done- so I'm a bit nervous about her. Not a fan of operations and suchlike.

Back home though, I answered the door to find a Fedex man bearing *very* generous swappage and extra's... that put me in a wonderful mood, I must say.

I was already wearing EL Sensuous (Chaya, didn't you remark how it was such a sneaky little frag, likeable enough to worm itself into your wardrobe with you hardly noticing...? Spot on m'darling.) but I see some sampling coming on later today.

Have a great one!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Veuve - don´t worry about your kitty, we´ve neutered a bunch during the years, and nothing has ever gone wrong. There are far too many wild cats here, so all cats that are not used in breeding should be neutered. Those many cats without a caring home lead a miserable life, until the eventually got hit by a car or freeze to death...

I`m in my last (sample) drops of Michele Bergman Black Gardenia. A bit heady for me, maybe, else very nice in the drydown.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

I think I've recovered from the weekend and am now getting into my weekly mode of routine.
    Today for another coolish morning I am wearing a new sample.

Amouage Epic for Men

So far the Amouage scents that I have tried I mostly like, one thing that can be said for all of them is they are not demure scents. They have a distinct power to them. One thing that I think gets lost when people try these scents from Amouage is, despite their power, the best of them offer subtleties if you are willing to work around the intensity. Another hallmark is Amouage's use of high quality ingredients. The mix might not be to everyone's taste but the "money" is in the bottle for these scents. The good thing for the 2009 release of Epic for Men, composed by Randa Hammami, is that all of the things I mentioned are here; the power, the subtlety, and the quality. It seems like every House is jumping on the oud bandwagon and when reading about Epic for Men I was wondering how many variations we could take of a note that used improperly can overwhelm anything else in a scent. Thakfully Ms. Hammami uses the oud in Epic for Men with a light hand and finds some excellent complements to it. The beginning of Epic for Men is a veritable spice rack of notes; I get notes of cardamom, nutmeg, pepper, and cumin. The note list says saffron and mace are present but I can't pick them up. The oud begins its approach along with the spices and it is light and complementary and makes a beautiful partner to the top notes. The oud intensifies leving the spices behind and finds a couple of stronger partners in frankincense and myrrh. The resinous character of these notes bring out the deeper aspects of the oud making this a souped-up incense accord and Epic for Men stays at this stage of development for quite a while. Over time the beginnings of sandalwood and cedar add some needed woodiness in contrast. Epic for Men settles down to a leather base on top of musk and castoreum leaving the oud to join the woods in contrast to the animalic trio. This makes for a very lovely ending to this scent. Epic for Men has incredible longevity and a ton of sillage. I applaud Ms. Hammami's use of oud in Epic for Men as her choice to use it in a slightly restrained fashion allows for other notes to have their opportunity to shine, too.

Have a True Tuesday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Good morning to all. Today I wanted more flowers so I am turning to Creed Fleurs de Bulgarie. Everyone smells great, have a wonderful day!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Plum & Rum = Yum! (Ha!) Actually Wordie, I think that sounds divine - including some spices! LOVE your avatar btw Small looks so happily mischevious in that photo!

Today I'm spritzing some Hermes Caleche Eau Delicate, it's 'mild' so I can do some sampling later in the day

As for the kitty cats, and doggies too, neutering is a positive thing! Fear not Veuve, kitty will be better soon. When he comes home to you, I know you'll give him extra lovin'

I'm in Arpege this morning...and it's not what I expected! I anticipated a harsher, harder-to-love blast of aldehydes, but this is much more powdery and floral. It's pretty easy-to-wear, and I'd think it might actually have appeal for many people who aren't usually fans of vintage and historical scents.

Not sure what I'll put on after the shower...I am cleaning up a bit today because tomorrow morning I am (drumroll)

Treating Myself To A Professional Organizer!!!!!!!!!!!

I have struggled with mess and clutter my whole life and it's a bit of a burden and bone of contention for the poor souls who have to live with me. Getting an expert to come in and actually HELP me to make sense of the piles and piles of STUFF on my office shelves (and desk, and side table, and sofa....) is going to be such a relief!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Plum & Rum = Yum! (Ha!) Actually Wordie, I think that sounds divine - including some spices!
    Right on, Ubu!!!

SMM, glad you and your lovely wife are recovering from the art show - I am vicariously sharing your enjoyment of E's creativity and your justifiable delight and pride in her accomplishments.

Testing Penhaligon Elixir from a sample today. WOW. I love it, but have to figure out if it's sufficiently similar to other things I own (like Costes and Padparadscha) to justify. Somehow I think it's going to end up on my wishlist. (Credit cards are already hiding under the bed).

Elixir Notes: Eucalyptus steam, cinnamon, cardamom, white cedar, red Turkish rose, orange blossom, Egyptian jasmine, mace, rosewood, benzoin, tonka bean, vanilla, red sandalwood, guaiac, incense.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

YouCanCallMeMo - what a great idea!! I could certainly do with a little organisation in my life

I'm wearing Mac Naked Honey again today - since joining BN I think this is a first that I've worn the same thing two days running! Naked Honey just feels so right in this pretty, spring weather.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Continuing my slow crawl to 1010 posts

I'll admit - I've really been lazy about wearing fragrance. I wear it every day - I just haven't really thought about what I've put on my skin. Mostly on a mission to use up a lot of my samples.

Today -

Del Rae Amoreuse (no idea how to spell this).

Forgot how lovely the top and heart are. Just a stunningly constructed floral. I keep hoping that this scent would hover between the citrus/jasmine top and the green floral heart. Stunning.

The base is all honey on my skin - which has sadly read as "pukey" in the past. Smells like honey laced with a touch of rose today. Must be all the raw onions I ate last night Amazing how your diet impacts fragrance wear.

BTW - you all are AWESOME!!!! Thank you for the nice surprise this morning. Wendy
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

M7 Fresh today. Helps me get oud of the house on time..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Wordbird: Gosh, your life sounds glorious! I would add crystallized ginger to plum jam. Yum.

I am wearing AL's Love's True Bluish Light today.

Good evening to all you divine smelling Basenoters! ♥

The spiced plum jam sounds excellent, Wordie. In my mind, very Christmassy!

Congrats on Dependency, Sakecat!

Dolce Vita for me today, while it's still chilly here. The weather is starting to improve - switched my shoes from Converse to Havaiannas today, so happy! (Yes I realise I'm too easily excitable.)

Have a great day!

Your kitty will prosper dear Widow...never fear.

MINE - on the other hand - needs clicker training or something. Has taken to arbitrarily distributing poop.

Wordie - I'm on the next flight.

Fall Cleaning has brought to light some neglected faves...namely...
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thumbs up Re: S o t d Tuesday 15 September 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Your kitty will prosper dear Widow...never fear.

MINE - on the other hand - needs clicker training or something. Has taken to arbitrarily distributing poop.

Wordie - I'm on the next flight.

Fall Cleaning has brought to light some neglected faves...namely...
    WOW Taolady you kill me, your perfume is marvelous...............i want to be near you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I'm errant on reading SotD posts. Just dropping in to say, "Hey, I'm wearing Bigarade Concentree."

Leaving shortly to take our visitor from New Orleans back to the airport.

So far, September has been all about Mitsouko and Mandragore.

Kewart you smell divine and quite French in your gorgeous Ivoire!

Laral my Fleurs de Bulgarie has been calling to me with this cool weather...gorgeous...maybe tomorrow

Today I am going for calm elegance of Annick Goutal Heure Exquise- the rose and iris are always perfect.

beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Epic by Amouage for woman
    used the leftover risotto and made risotto balls

Began my day with a judicious spritz of Bal a Versailles EdC. Not too much, mind you, as I had to teach today. It smelled excellent, but had disappeared by lunchtime.

Later swang by the Creed counter and plumped for a blast of Fleurissimo. At first, you'd be fooled into believing you were wearing Joy. But the difference with Joy is that it lasts and lasts ... and Fleurissimo doesn't. Charming, though.

Hope your kitty gets on okay VA. She sounds like a little darling.
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

I decided on Vent Vert for the SotD....Thanks to this one and Givenchy III, I think I can FINALLY say that I know what Galbanum smells like and possibly even pick it out of a lineup. Yeay, me. I can add it to my VERY short list of notes that I can identify.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution

Good morning everyone !
    VM - I head Opal is really lovely
    ComDiva - Penhlaigon Elixir is gorgeous.

Many hugs to everyone today .

This morning I am sampling Gardenia by Penhaligon's - thanks again Lara ! It's very pretty, very english ,subdued and soft. Quite creamy .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

I've quickly come to the conclusion that YSL Parisienne will be just a layering scent for me. It's just not interesting enough by itself, but seems to be quite adaptable for combination with other scents.

Today I have it layered over Elariia Wisteria and it's really nice. Much better than either one alone.

Continuing with some more green...Chanel Bel Respiro for SotD. Happy Tuesday, all!

Today would have been my grandfather's birthday. I miss him so much. In honour of him, I'll test Lostmarch's l'Eau de l'Hermine (he did like lavender). I should probably also wear Old Spice but I don't own any. Must fix that. Feeling emotional now....I'm such a sap.

Anyhow, got 2 beautiful packages in the mail filled with fumie fabulousness! Thank you VM and Claudia!! VM, I'm thrilled you like Ecume de The. Didn't know that about Juliette. I'll send you some delices chocolate next time too :-)
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

SSS Femme Jolie today.

Plum jam, chutney and pumpkins...yum! Fall is just around the corner.

Jasmin de Nuit
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Tabac Blond

Serge Lutens Un Bois Sepia: sandalwood, cypress, vetiver, patchouli, opoponax.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Basenotes Institution

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique (from a sample)

So, I love the way this smells from afar, but wearing it all day it can become a little overwhelming. I guess I should try to see if I can wear Aramis 900 (which is supposed to be similar to AE) instead, which I'll have to sample soon.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th September 2009 at 04:08 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Jolie Madame for me today; you all smell divine, by the way. Veuve, your kitty should be just fine but I will think good thoughts for her anyway. YouCanCallMeMo, I love that you hired a professional to help you de-clutter -- you've inspired me to consider the same.

Take care, all.

Pheromone

Elle by YSL
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Default AW: S o t d Tuesday 15 September 2009

Baghari by Robert Piguet from my second sample. I think it makes me look more serious and mature. Which I apparently need, since several students from the class I teach address me by my first name in their emails.
    Last edited by darkdreams; 15th September 2009 at 04:54 PM.

No 'hemming and hawing' in front of the collection today... the choice was easy (I love when that happens)! It had to be Jean Patou 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    VM - I head Opal is really lovely
    Not unlike LTBL - slightly less gourmand, maybe, but offers a similar level of comfort!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I am smelling rather fabulous today in Attrape Coeur, with many many thanks to the marvelous ((ubu)) who shared with me.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

SotD is Opium Fleur Imperiale.

Utterly gorgeous outside.
    Wearing Eau Premiere today.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Basenotes Plus

Been hanging around my house, waiting for the exterminator. We had rodents & bugs..."cave crickets", in addition to giant spiders I knew about. I'm now officially scared to go into the basement. My house is old & I've never wanted to have a load of chemicals near my child. But I can't stand the idea of spiders crawling in the bed, as they did last night.

SOTD is BPAL's Horn of Plenty

Chanel Allure (parfum)

Hugs to all...

Declaration Essence (Cartier)

Basenotes Institution

Big hugs to lovethescents......

This afternoon I am trying out Creed's Fleurs de Bulgarie thanks to one very lovely basenoter ! You know who you are babe !
    Lovely !

Timbuktu again here. We are in our honeymoon period

Basenotes Plus

Hugs to Lovethescents. Grandparents are treasures.
    RHM. Oh.My.God. Hugs to you, too.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Notes: vetiver, grapefruit, orange flower, sage, nutmeg, orris, pimiento, amber woods and oakmoss

A sparkling citrusy opening on a fresh and crisp vetiver with a hint of smoke, with dry spices adding smoothness and warmth. Very nice! Sophisticated and very well done.

Take care, everyone!
    Last edited by tdem1961; 15th September 2009 at 09:18 PM.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

RHM, I am sorry for your pest troubles. And now I am having the willies just thinking about spiders in the bed!!!

Blog Entries

Smile Re: S o t d Tuesday 15 September 2009

After a few days of wearing other fragrances I once again wore the most wonderful fragrance in the universe....
    MITSOUKO! Viva la Mitsouko!

bleu autumn haze

I'm wearing Eau Lente today.

Wordie, I bought a jar of wild plum jam at a farmer's market a few weeks ago. That stuff was to die for! I think it may have had a bit of cinnamon, but I'm not positive. Wish I had bought several more jars while I had the chance. I bet yours will be just as wonderful!

RHM, good luck on the varmint control!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Evening scent is Gal Trebol (clover).

Mo, this is great! My MIL used to be saying that she would never hire the house help because she would have to clean before the help arrives so that the house does not look that embarrassing.

RHM, hugs to you! That is another reason to be happy we are not Texas any more -- spiders and lizzards and crawfish and snakes lived there too. Hope all is well with you adn your teenager.

Tierry Mugler Angel Peony for me this evening.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Been hanging around my house, waiting for the exterminator. We had rodents & bugs..."cave crickets", in addition to giant spiders I knew about. I'm now officially scared to go into the basement. My house is old & I've never wanted to have a load of chemicals near my child. But I can't stand the idea of spiders crawling in the bed, as they did last night.

SOTD is BPAL's Horn of Plenty
    OMG - critters ! Best of luck RHM. My close encounter when I first moved to the central valley, was nearly stepping on a half inch black widow spider on the patio . My husband ,my hero saved me by pushing me back . I was barefooted too.

This evening ,I am testing out Penhaligon's Lily of The Valley - another winner, I love this.