Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: S o t d Tuesday 15 September 2009

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    OMG - critters ! Best of luck RHM. My close encounter when I first moved to the central valley, was nearly stepping on a half inch black widow spider on the patio . My husband ,my hero saved me by pushing me back . I was barefooted too.

This evening ,I am testing out Penhaligon's Lily of The Valley - another winner, I love this.
    I'm glad you like it...I lurve Lily of the Valley.

This evening I spritzed Love in White while I was at NM picking up my prize!!!! I won a big gift of Laura Mercier cream, scrub, and spray! Who doesn't love free stuff.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by laral28 View Post
    I'm glad you like it...I lurve Lily of the Valley.

This evening I spritzed Love in White while I was at NM picking up my prize!!!! I won a big gift of Laura Mercier cream, scrub, and spray! Who doesn't love free stuff.
    That is marvellous Lara ! Good on you ! Laura Mercier bath stuff is very lovely .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Truly loved my day in Vent Vert...It was the "middle" formulation, and now I feel compelled to try the original. Why? Because I like to be difficult!

It's evening now, and I'm easing in to some Tam Dao as I finish some filing in preparation for the organizer. (I want private papers all out of the way so we can focus on the random crap that tends to bog me down....I want to make the most of my time, here, so we'll be concentrating on all those little objects that make me think, "A place for everything and everything in its place...but....where could this go? IT MAKES NO SENSE! IT FITS NOWHERE!" and then the panic ensues.)

Thanks for all your support and cheers, BNers. You are all so amazing. I'll give a full report tomorrow or Thursday for my fellow clutterbugs!

ps: I'm getting MINT in Tam Dao tonight, which I haven't noticed before. Have I gone mad?
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

MPG Route du Vetiver tonight.

During car trips as a child I recall hundreds of giant webs stretched from telephone/power line to line, up high, with spiders as big as a large man's hand sitting on them along the road from West Palm Beach Florida to Lake Okeechobee. I always wondered if they were big enough and strong enough to capture birds with them.
    Last edited by kbe; 16th September 2009 at 01:25 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Sending a hug to lovethescents, a sympathetic shudder to RHM, and a scritch behind the ear to Ibis.

I have spent the day in Vetiver Tonka. I wasn't crazy about it the first time I tried it. This time, it has beguiled me.

Woke up today craving the scent of Creed's Spring Flower. Funny thing is I don't like this when I first put it on, but the dry down is heaven.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Creeds Erolfa
    Gary

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Plum Jam can be a bit blah, can't it? So I thought I'd add spice and maybe some brandy or rum to perk it up a bit. What do you all think of that? Good idea or bad idea?
    Great idea! Throw some dried cranberries and chopped walnuts in there too and I'll marry you right now

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    used the leftover risotto and made risotto balls
    Yum Yum Yum!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Serge Lutens Un Bois Sepia: sandalwood, cypress, vetiver, patchouli, opoponax.
    One of my favorites - you smell awesome!

Anyway, my SOTD today has been the rather gaily-named Alfred Dunhill Desire For A Man.

I can still remember buying this - Back then (95? 96?), I smoked like a chimney and had the bright idea that there must be cologne out there that would combine with my smokey odor and make me smell more presentable. So, off I went to Macys (being the best store I knew of at the time) to ask the SA there what she would recommend. I fell in love with Desire quickly, intrigued by its tea + berries smell, as well as the fact that it was made by a cigarette company, which I assumed would make it work with the smell of stale cigarettes (OK, so I was a bit young and stupid...).

The thing I liked about it was that it smelled like "something" (tea and fruit), instead of just "cologne" (which I now recognize was the masculine chypres available at the time).

As such, this was the scent that quietly launched me on this crazy and expensive journey, as well as one of the 3 or 4 full bottles I ever used up. So now, after discovering basenotes, sample trading, and online sample ordering, some 300 or so frags later, I've been curious what exactly this smelled like, knowing what I know now. So, it was with curiosity and trepidation that I bought a cheap mini of this recently for retesting.

So how does it smell? The tea is only in the very top, and the "berries" are sort of an artful synthetic construct of the actual smell of berries. Mainly, it's soapy. There's a floral quality, but not in a bouquet-of-flowers way, but in the way that plain white soap can smell floral without smelling perfumed. The "berry" acts as a sweetener, giving a nice sweetness to the soapy base. Late in the day, the "berry" is gone, leaving just sugary soap.

Sure, it's nice, and quite nostalgic for me, but kind of like Azzaro's Chrome (another old standby for me I recently had the opportunity to re-wear), it feels of another time. While it and its contemporaries set the stage for the fresh frags of today, it does it with a certain naive simplicity that feels a bit dated - while some simple scents pull it off with deft blending and great ingredients, Desire has the feel of something kind of experimental for its time, something that has been passed by.

But I still do like the way it smells, and it did manage to bring back some memories

(end long-winded post of nostalgic rantings)
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

(((lovethescent))) , I understand...
    and (((RHM))). I am so scared or rodents...I cannot even bring myself to think about it

Today I wore Guerlain Paris-New York by mistake. I intended to wear Paris-Moscow but grabbed the wrong vial. When I sprayed I thought, mmmh, I had not noticed this is similar to New York, until I realized that I had used the New York, oh well, tomorrow I can wear Moscow. It is nice and spicy, but not Christmasy like Winter Delice. I am not sure I would spend the money on any of these, although I liked the three of them. I think so far my favorite is Tokyo.
    Evenstar