Code of Conduct

Default Red lipstick from other point of view

I desperately love red lipsticks but getting older, I have found that not all red tones are proper for me to wear. Could anybody recommend a red color lipstick that doesn't highlight lip wrinkles or create a vulgar "whore-like" image?
    Note: I like to wear red dress parts and accessories. Thus it's a challenge to find a red lipstick that goes well with such outfit.

Many thanks for suggestions!

Default Re: Red lipstick from other point of view

Reds are VERY difficult for me to wear, but I found one about 15 years ago that still does well by me. Bobbi Brown Raisin is a wonderful, garnety kind of red, creamy and rich. (Her website describes it as a "rich plum brown," but it reads as a garnet red on me!) Not at all garish or orangy, which is what happens with most reds on me. It's a rather "dry" creamy, bordering on matte, so give it a try before dropping your cash. On your skin it might cause the lip wrinkle problem.

My favorite "moist" red is still on the creamy side. (I'm not a fan of sheers or glosses, I find the colour to be insipid and they get so messy on cups and even in my hair, yuk) I take a Burts Bees regular lip balm and dip it into a pot of Bare Minerals Glee. It gives a rich garnet red much like the Bobbi Brown, but is a touch more moisturising thanks to the Burts Bees. After I apply, I redip the balm so I can carry at least one touch up with me.

I love a nice dark lipstick. I can't wait to see what others recommend!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

I don't wear lipstick too often because I have a bad habit of rubbing my mouth and getting it everywhere, but when I do and I want to go red, I love MAC Viva Glam (the original). I'm very fair with a pinkish undertone, and it was super difficult for me to find a red that didn't look hideous on me.

I tried pretty much every red I could find and then I stumbled upon this shade at MAC... Originally I shied away because it's a pretty saturated color but when I want to vamp it up, it can't be beat. And when I layer it with their brick lip liner, it doesn't budge for a long, long time, even through food and drink. For someone that regularly wears red lipstick, I honestly think it would be perfectly fine for non-vamp wear - it's just vampy for little non-make up wearing me.

This shouldn't settle into wrinkles, either. It's matte and pretty dry, but using a liner definitely helps with application and keeps it from feathering, too. MAC's matte lipsticks are fab this way, but I can't say I've tried their creamier versions.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Basenotes Institution

I used to absolutely love red lipstick between the ages of 16 - 30 - I wouldn't consider wearing anything else.
    However after 35 , I really gave up the red lispticks because I noticed they aged me somewhat especially if you wear a foundation or some kind of matt powder. They look severe . I don't have lip wrinkles at all but the red is just too harsh now.
    I found wearing colors like Rosewood, sort of pink - brownish lipsticks are more flattering and give your
    lips more dimension ,make them look plumper .
    I can recommend any of the YSLs, Diors, Clarins lipsticks in these colours - most are not too matt and not too soft . The E Ls are excellent colours but I have 2 E L lipsticks in Pure Color 'Rose Tea " - No 117 wonderful color that broke off at the base because the tube is so soft. So much as I love that color , I don't buy the E L s anymore.

Mo - Bobbi Brown Raisin is a great color ! Bobbi Brown Burnt Red is a great red too - the last red lipstick I have ......

For great reds- the Diors have excellent colors and the Lancomes are to die for.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 15th September 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thanks for recs, I still insist on a red toned lipstick but very suppressed light and mat red just because of red being my favorite dress color. I always wear something red - be it shoes and gloves, or a skirt, or only shawl and bag, not too much but complicated when deciding on lipstick color. When I was young, I had full and smooth lips and bright red was fantastic on me.

As well, the lipstick shouldn't be too drying because I have dry lips with no wrinkles around the lips but inside - looks like it's too much skin on my lips. Real problem believe me. I would like to look seriously and elegant instead of...........you know.

Hey Alicka, the most wearable red I've found is Mary Kay Red. It isn't particularly creamy but it's matte and long-lasting, also more garnet than cherry. I wear it to work it's gotten me a few compliments (from other women ).

Has anyone tried Chanel Audace? The color in the tube looks like a true redbut the swatches look decidedly orange.

Isn't the Mary Kay too dark and signal red?
    Last edited by Alicka61; 15th September 2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: error

It is pretty dark. I don't know what signal rot means?

It is a bright bloody red screaming color tone :-)

I've been steered toward berry reds, and I like the way a true raspberry red looks on me now. It suits my fair complexion and newly grown out gray hair. And I do like it slightly shiny/sheer, rather than matte. I find matte is matronly looking now - in any shade. I usually wear peachy pinks and corals, but I like the deep raspberry for special dressy up occasions.

Blog Entries

The only one I can wear is Clinique. Most of their formulas are soft & don't go in the creases plus it is truly unscented. They have great colors, too. I can't wear reds, I have to wear berry shades. If there is any orange in it my teeth look yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The only one I can wear is Clinique. Most of their formulas are soft & don't go in the creases plus it is truly unscented. They have great colors, too. I can't wear reds, I have to wear berry shades. If there is any orange in it my teeth look yellow!
    Mine too! Probably because they are yellow. I agree that Clinique has a great range of colors, nice textures, and the prices are good. It's the only cosmetics line that whenever I have received gift with purchase, the colors usually actually work well for me.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 19th September 2009 at 09:45 PM.

Oooh I love red lipsticks I can reccomend a few hehe.........

MAC ladybug - quite a bright red, more sheer and creamy though.
    MAC viva glam 1 - I just discovered this, it is FAB!! I too am very fair with pinky undertones, just WOW! might be bit dark for some tho, and a bit matte, but a bit lipbalm should sort it
    MAC urgent slimshine lipstick - this is one of my faves, sort of like a lipstick crossed with a gloss lovely red, not over the top.
    MAC new york apple - sort of a muted down pinky berry red

Some other MAC you might like to try: fresh morrocan, a browny red more neutral and warm, hot tahiti a pinky raspberry red shade.
    Can you tell I'm a MAC girl hehe

Also am loving the look of those YSL rouge volupte lipsticks, I spotted a nice red shade or two in there. and the guerlain ones......beautiful. I'd say experiment with different textures and different types of red to see what suits you now

Hope I helped in some way!
    Last edited by Dani California; 7th October 2009 at 09:20 PM.

No suggestions regarding shades, but I would add that the matter the formula is, the more difficult it will get into fine lines... Creamier formulas seem more comfortable, but they will get into lines like mad...

Eva Pasco

I personally stay away from red lipstick, though I love the shade. I tend to wear a brownish red--L'Oreal Spiced Cider in matte finish.

I too use cool, blue-based reds because they suit my coloring and make my teeth look a little whiter. Serge Lutens Roman Rouge http://www.barneys.com/Refillable%20...efault,pd.html and Shu Uemura WN 270 http://www.polyvore.com/shu_uemura_r...ing?id=8708987 work for me.
    The Shu lipstick is very moisturizing and looks good on its own. I've yet to bite the bullet and buy the Serge Lutens lipstick though. I have the sample cards given free at Barneys that have six little trial pots pots inside and use a lip brush. I add a little of SL Pourpre Maure with the brush to Roman Rouge to make the color even more cool.
    Too prevent feathering I use a clear outliner from Mary Kay. It's applied outside the lip line and blocks the pigment from creeping up into vertical lines. The product was discontinued but eBay always has some for sale for a very inexpensive price. I tried using DuWop's version called Reverse Lip Liner but it doesn't work as well as Mary Kay's Outliner.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 1st March 2010 at 03:57 PM.

Lipstick Queen's Medieval is the polar opposite of a whoreish red - a totally virginal red. It's very moisturising, but I think it might be too sheer for what you are after.

Mac do my favourite reds. I find the matte formulations work better on me as I get older, especially with a lip base and/or liner. Their Mattene range is pretty non-drying and comfortable to wear (for a matte lipstick). I'd suggest sticking to your favourite shades and just altering the formulation (sheerer, or matter) or the application method. If a colour ain't broke, don't fix it!

I love red.. but you're right.. it does somehow create a whore-like image.. Well, I think you have to wear it as light as possible.