Code of Conduct

Default How is the economic crisis affecting your cosmetics buying?

What are you doing ? quit buying ? Do you find yourself buying less expensive brands? What do you think about new l'oreal's strategy to propose low cost products ? Have you already buy them ? Thanks !

Default Re: How is the economic crisis affecting your cosmetics buying?

The economic crisis has not affected my spending habits in the slightest. Price is not an issue when it comes to cosmetics.

Yeah, no more lipstick.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Plus

Instead of buying full bottles, I just spend more on samples and minis and reserve the bottle-sized purchase for the truly extraordinary.
    I'm just glad I'm born a guy so we can skimp on the cosmetics.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 15th September 2009 at 06:38 PM.

It hasn't one bit....to my own detriment! Ehh you only live once...

Absolutely has not had any bearing.

None what-so-ever.

It's only paper

Dollars are a fiat currency. No real value there.

TJ Maxx is takes the least number of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    None what-so-ever.

It's only paper
    Precisely.

Now please round up 20-30 reams of said paper and dispatch them to me

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Here in Croatia I can say that the crisis did not affect spending at all. People just buy, buy, buy, buy, buy...

Basenotes Institution

From the masses of people I see at Sephora ,Macy's etc, I don't think the ecomonic crisis is having a dent where I am . Cosmetics are little things- I think people are more concerned about spending on cars,gas ,eating out too much ,mortgages ,etc.
    I read somewhere that in a time of recession, women actually buy more luxury lipstick - it's an affordable luxury .
    If you buy wisely and get quality items in skincare and cosmetics ,they last for months and months which is a saving in the long run. Many cheaper products don't last as long - you have to keep rebuying and it ends up costing the same.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 15th September 2009 at 10:07 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

It hasn't done much to me, I started buying stuff around June and within a couple of months ended up with like 45 bottles

It's the fear of them going bad and just sheer money spent that has stopped me now, not the actual economy

I'm not a cosmetic-addicted or metrosexual guy, in fact, my cosmetics are just the minimal basics, yet the crisis and/or recession has affected me in a quite peculiar way: I like to spend a bit more on that particular kind of perfumes... which also come in a gift set including an extra shower-gel, soap bar, aftershave, body lotion (although for men), after shave balm, deo stick and so on. While I'm spending a slight bit more, I also get the feeling that, especially during these recessionary times, I truly get "more value for money".

I don't really buy "cosmetics" as such. Im a basics kinda guy and most of my money will go on either Scents/Colognes or Shaving accoutrements. I'll buy a bottle of quality facewash about twice a year and I usually buy a really nice shower gel to use on special occasions about once a year.

I do believe that to stabalise our economies we need to start spending again though. If you don't put anything in you won't get anything out.
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

As my wardrobe was almost complete, not really. However, you could say that 2009 started in style when I splashed out on my first Profumum Roma fragrance.

Why? Because I'm worth it! [flicks back hair to one side]

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Why? Because I'm worth it! [flicks back hair to one side]
    Love your hair
    For good, anatomic reasons, scent fosters memory more readily than any other sense.

I buy just basic stuff: after shave, cologne, shower gel and deodorant. The effect of the the economy? Not really. I've always been a fan of less expensive stuff and even the cheapos. BTW, moving away from a collection, more to what I wear frequently...and really like.

I've tried to spend less than 100$ a month, but that's just self-regulation rather than recession. As it is, didn't keep to that... Bad, bad, you bottle of vintage Poison for tempting me.

I've actually been spending some money on higher end men's facial care products (Lab Series and Clinique) and significantly less on fragrances. I'm pretty satisfied with my wardrobe and i've only a few more frags on my "to buy" list.

I don't think the recession is really affecting me much yet. But the H1N1 pandemic certainly is. Nowadays i'm reluctant to go the the mall to browse and sample frags because of the pandemic.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

I'd say for the last two years that I've made an effort to only buy what really captured my attention AND to use what I have in my wardrobe.

So, the downturn has had a nominal impact.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I have not changed my spending. Its something I really enjoy so why deprive yourself.

The economic crisis should have impacted my purchases, adversely but it didn't.

However notwithstanding the downturn, I am more choosy in what I buy now. I choose quality over quantity now.

It has opened my eyes a bit. Personally, I have not been a good steward of my finances, and I justified my spending by "nickleing and diming" myself to pieces at TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Burlington Coat Factory. 90% of the time the scents I buy at those places end up sold or swapped.

No more. I have "drawn my line in the sand". I am going to be far more judicious in future spending.

My goal, other than swaps or selling off, is to buy nothing until Christmas. Same for clothes.

My gosh...how much do I really need?! Shopping became my hobby, and I am personally sick about it. That's just me, I'm not judging anyone else.

It hasn't really, I've always been a bargain hunter and only splurge (ie. pay full price for something) during Christmas and my birthday. There are certain things I don't skimp on, my general rule of thumb is to spend less on things that are going to get washed away, ie. facial cleanser, shampoo, etc. and more on things like a good moisturizer with spf, foundation, conditioners/treatments, but even then I've found brands that aren't too pricey and go further in the long term, so I've stuck with them for years.

Perfumes, on the other hand though, are another story. I'm still trying to get a grip on my eBay/late night, "But it's a SUCH a GREAT deal!!" disease.

I still make minimum at a terrible after school p/t job... "economy" has not affected much. Many other reasons why I stopped spending.

I buy $10 for 200 ml of Dove toner/cleanser face wash before the recession, and now that there's a recession, I still buy that same face wash. I didn't buy super-expensive brands before in the first place so no effect here.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    It has opened my eyes a bit. Personally, I have not been a good steward of my finances, and I justified my spending by "nickleing and diming" myself to pieces at TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Burlington Coat Factory. 90% of the time the scents I buy at those places end up sold or swapped.

No more. I have "drawn my line in the sand". I am going to be far more judicious in future spending.

My goal, other than swaps or selling off, is to buy nothing until Christmas. Same for clothes.

My gosh...how much do I really need?! Shopping became my hobby, and I am personally sick about it. That's just me, I'm not judging anyone else.
    A good thing to remember is why those scents are AT TJ Maxx...sure some of them OK but....