Code of Conduct

Default Classy, Modern, and Sporty Vetiver?

Is there a good example of a designer vetiver that you would classify as classy, modern, and sporty?
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Default Re: Classy, Modern, and Sporty Vetiver?

I know you asked for designer, but Vetiver Babylone fits the bill very well here. The vetiver is only a supporting note, but it's sporty, modern and classy - also fresh and lemoney. It costs about 100$ for 125 ml, I think.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 16th September 2009 at 02:53 PM.
    Sales thread here

I think you may like Paul Smith Story quite a bit as it fits your description...

Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver - I just got a sample (Thanks Ruggles!) - and it's a good cross of traditional with a bit o' citrus and quite sporty. Wears quite well too.

I personally don't get the vetiver in Thierry Mugler Cologne... but I love the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver - I just got a sample (Thanks Ruggles!) - and it's a good cross of traditional with a bit o' citrus and quite sporty. Wears quite well too.
    Yeah, agreed. Sporty like you just shaved and freshened up after a workout in the locker room of a classy gentleman's health club. So good!

Note: it is technically a designer scent, but it is still quite expensive. Did you have a price range in mind?
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th September 2009 at 03:09 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm not quite sure if it can be classified as a designer scent, but I personally like Vetyver (2001) by L'Occitane. I do think it's classy, modern, and sporty, though.

I was hoping I could stay under $50
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre fits the bill. It's a light, fresh, soapy vetiver, having something in common with Creed Original Vetiver and Thierry Mugler's Cologne. But to me Vetiver Hombre is more citrusy and a bit brighter than both of those. You should be able to find it through online discounters for close to what you want to pay.
    Last edited by noggs; 16th September 2009 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre fits the bill. It's a light, fresh, soapy vetiver, having something in common with Creed Original Vetiver and Thierry Mugler's Cologne. But to me Vetiver Hombre is more citrusy and a bit brighter than both of those. You should be able to find it through online discounters for close to what you want to pay.

+1 - excellent suggestion. it's pretty vibrant and agressive, mind you!! if you have sampled Creed OV, then you know what the expect of the opening accord..only with VH, it goes to be be fresher with no tobacco..

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    I was hoping I could stay under $50
    Try CdG Vettiveru. Very nice fresh, light and clean vetiver.

It's 52$ for 125ml at Lucky Scent.

Basenotes Institution

Try Kenzo Air and Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash by Guerlain
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Grey Vetiver
    Mugler Cologne
    Original Vetiver
    Encre Noire

Quote Originally Posted by adrianis View Post
    Try CdG Vettiveru. Very nice fresh, light and clean vetiver.

It's 52$ for 125ml at Lucky Scent.
    An excellent suggestion.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

creed OV or Paul smith story

+1 CdG Vetiver. I wanna add Zara Vetiver, which is very cheap, but the quality is a cute surprise. Modern, fresh, and sport vetiver. Very interesting!

You might be able to fine Racine by MPG on ebay for under 70...

Post Re: Classy, Modern, and Sporty Vetiver?

You might want to give a hard look at Vetyver by Roger & Gallet. Nothing earth shaking here, but is a nice light transparent Vetyver. Wears well espically in warmer weather. Won't by any means break one's bank.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

This topic is full of excellent recommendations - the only one I wouldn't consider is Encre Noire .. would not consider that sporty in the least.

This might come as a surprise: Lanvin Vetiver

Guerlain Vetiver. It might be old, but very avant-garde.

Quote Originally Posted by lasta View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver. It might be old, but very avant-garde.
    I do not consider Guerlain Vetiver "sporty" in the modern sense. However, Guerlain's Vetiver Sport and Vetiver Eau Glacée are fresher versions of the original theme which may fit the bill.

Disagree with Encre Noir, as it is very cold and has no spice to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    This might come as a surprise: Lanvin Vetiver
    I'll second that. What I initially perceived to be a fresh generic, middle of the road sporty scent has in time become one of my real favorites. I love Lanvin Vetyver. Most of the fresh, modern "vetiver" scents are also composed with heavy amounts of synthetic cedar materials like Iso E Super-- I'n not knocking these at all-- I love Encre Noire and Terre D'Hermes. But it's reached a point where the market is starting to churn these types of vetiver scents out too much, IMO. It's great to have a few of these types in your drobe, but after that they become redundant. I'd probably have liked Tom Ford Grey Vetiver if I didn't already have that base more than covered.

Lanvin Vetyver starts out with a fresh clean almost "Lysol" note in the opening, but when it dries down, the vetiver starts coming to the fore and it's almost a dry, sweet cornlike texture (reminds me of those little corn cakes that come on the side of mexican dishes). It's a non vanillic sweetness, basically. OK, that's a weird way to describe it, but it's a really good drydown. Sure, the beginning seems a bit cologne-like, but it quickly becomes better with time. This is a fresh, sporty vetiver that is overlooked and can be had for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Disagree with Encre Noir, as it is very cold and has no spice to it.
    Agree...this is probably not what guy is looking for

I don't think you'll find a scent that excels in all three phases... Encre Noire might not be sporty, but it's classy and modern in spades. Also, you can get a great price on it at parfum1... Mugler Cologne is sporty and modern, but not classy. Guerlain Vetiver is classy, but not really sporty or modern... I think Grey Vetiver comes the closest to all three, but I don't think it really excels at any of those categories... Personally, I would rather have something that excels at a few things over something that is ok at everything and great at nothing, but that is something the original poster has to decide for himself....

Look no further than the reformulation of the 1957 Carven Vetiver. You can get it for about $25!

Don't let the low price fool you...this can hold its own against many vetiver's at several times the price!

Make sure it's the one in the bottle that looks like this;

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by GodISmellGood View Post
    I'm not quite sure if it can be classified as a designer scent, but I personally like Vetyver (2001) by L'Occitane. I do think it's classy, modern, and sporty, though.
    +1 for L'Occitaine Vetyver. And it's reasonably priced - about $40, as I recall.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Fragonard Vetyver

+ 1 for The new Carven Vetiver.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 16th September 2009 at 10:41 PM.

Minus the designer part, Vetiver Extraordinaire embodies all those qualities to my nose.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 16th September 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Kenzoair
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Hillaire

I agree, that Malle's 'Vetiver Extrodinaire' is the premiere vetiver, but sporty? hmmmm...

I think a pretty decent, totally cheap , and totally sporty one is Azzaro Vetiver, which is light, green, fresh, and grassy. It's my 'sportiest' possession, and wearable.

I'm gonna toss another vote in here for CdG Vettiveru.