Code of Conduct

Thumbs up S o t D Thursday 17 September 2009

A very pleasant Thursday to all

Ernest Daltroff 's

POUR UN HOMME, Eau de Toiltte

Created in 1934 it remains without any reformulations

A minimalist bottle, a great perfume that brings me lots of good memories !!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sur la Plage

Default Re: S o t D Thursday 17 September 2009

My SOTD is Givenchy Vetyver.

Notes include Bergamot, Coriander, Vetiver and Sandalwood.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Up late-ish due to spontaneous going out last night - love it when that happens. Nevertheless, I needed a frag that wouldn't upset my ehm, delicate state right now. Mugler Cologne from a sample it is.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Serge Lutens Cedre
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Bandit

I bet that poster wouldn't have been allowed in 1934! I am not sure you would even get away with it in some places today...

SOTD to be advised, when dressed!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

It does have a proto-Tom Ford vibe to it, no?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Basenotes Plus

Carnal Flower (again). I've become a tad obsessed with Tuberose and Carnal flower is my Tube fix, the 50ml bottle I bought on the BN Lunch seems to be vastly depleting.

On a plus note I'm awaiting the delivery of a bottle of A Travers le Miroir by Thierry Mugler which is meant to be a very nice Wintergreen Tuberose (I've not tried it - yes I know blind buying is silly) so maybe Carnal Flower will have a bit of a rest in the next few days.
    Last edited by Candy Perfume Boy; 17th September 2009 at 10:13 AM.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

With a Miroir blind buy the stakes are quite high, given the price of the line... Hope you love it!

I am wearing JM Vanilla & Anise (love this one!) and re-testing:

L'Institut Tres Bien Cologne a L'Italienne
    Chanel Eau de Cologne
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

They are all very pleasant but I have decided colognes do not move me, however well crafted.

Good morning all....Thanks for the hugs yesterday....Nothing is for the better here I'm afraid.Will probably have to find somewhere else to live soon if this continues In an attempt to make me feel better I'm in Hypnotic Poison.

A*Men (Thierry Mugler)

Up too late last night because I went to see the Red Sox at Fenway and they had the bad taste to wait until the bottom of the ninth inning to win. So I couldn't leave early. I just don't like it when reality won't conform to my expectations.

I need something to give me an olfactory jolt this morning which leads me to wearing a sample I've been holding for awhile awaiting cooler weather.

Nasomatto Black Afgano

Alessandro Gualtieri is the head perfumer at Nasomatto and he steadfastly refuses to give out note lists. His reasoning goes that each wearer should experience a Nasomatto scent for themselves without any preconceptions. Which is a nice theory and for the most part works. Except Sig. Gualtieri then adds incredibly descriptive copy to his fragrances which while they don't point to notes, per se, they do definitely give you a direction to let your imagination run. If you believe the stories around the 2009 release Black Afgano, Sig. Gualtieri was inspired by the odors of good hashish and supposedly smuggled some into his lab so he could have a reference while working on Black Afgano. Based on that description I was expecting a richer take on the cannabis note from the two Fresh scents Cannabis Santal or Cannabis Rose. Instead I got a deep incense centered scent with lots of smoke, tobacco, oud, and patchouli. The top of Black Afgano lands with a resounding bang as right out of the atomizer I get a deep incense accord and this is paired with an unsmoked menthol cigarette tobacco vibe. This tobacco accord comes off the way a pack of menthol cigarettes smells after the wrapper is removed. The very slight mentholated note adds to the heady mix and accentuates instead of detracting. As we move into the heart a distinct oud appears, along with a smoky tea accord, which really deepens the incense feeling of Black Afgano while beginning to add some woodiness which is joined by some cedar. The base is classic dirty patchouli which Nasomatto and Sig. Gualtieri have used so well in the past. Here it seems appropriate and the next logical step in the development of this fragrance. Very late in the development, hours later, a hint of vanilla manages to break through. This comes so late it took three wearings to convince myself that I just hadn't somehow gotten another scent on me. Black Afgano is amazingly long lasting and was still detectable the next day after a shower! Funnily enough it is very much a skin scent with very little sillage. For a scent that was supposed to be all about the intrigue and danger of hashish Black Afgano, on me, is more about the incense one burns to cover up the smell of hashish. In any case I think Black Afgano is one of the best of the Nasomatto line.

Have a Thoughtful Thursday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    With a Miroir blind buy the stakes are quite high, given the price of the line... Hope you love it!

I am wearing JM Vanilla & Anise (love this one!) and re-testing:

L'Institut Tres Bien Cologne a L'Italienne
    Chanel Eau de Cologne
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta

They are all very pleasant but I have decided colognes do not move me, however well crafted.
    I managed to get it for £45 on eBay otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, they retail for about twice that I think.

I'm dying to try the new Vanilla and Anise, i've heard that it's not an overdose of vanilla, is that the case?
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Quote Originally Posted by libertine View Post
    I managed to get it for £45 on eBay otherwise I wouldn't have bought it, they retail for about twice that I think.

I'm dying to try the new Vanilla and Anise, i've heard that it's not an overdose of vanilla, is that the case?
    What a great buy then, whatever your thoughts on it when it comes! I saw them in France for approaching 140 euros, which at the prevailing exchange rate was extremely pricey.

That's correct about the JM: the vanilla isn't foody vanilla from the vanilla pod, but the scent of the purple vanilla orchid, so it is dry and not at all gourmand. I an not a fan of anise, but it doesn't trouble me at all here - just adds a certain coolness to the composition. Maybe it is in fact the purple anise orchid...

Yay! I'm feeling much better (I had a flu or bug or something). Munchkins in my head are singing We're outta the woods, we're outta the woods, we're outta the woods. (Hmm...maybe I just think I'm better!)

Going to be a sampling day for me. I have lots on my plate to play with. First up is YSL's Parsienne (thanks 30 Roses!), which I've been dying to try. 30 Roses has been doing layering experiments with it, and I can see why. It seems a bit bland, but I think it's really just quiet. At first it reminds me of Yves Rocher's Rose Absolute (citrussy & sweet), with a bit of acetone added in, and violets begin to open up as it dries down. I get just the faintest whiff of Dans tes Bras in there as well. I keep looking for the vinyl accord, but my dense nose hasn't picked up on it yet. It's pretty, and maybe a tiny bit more subversive than you would expect. This is my first sampling, so just my first impression.

SMM, I love your review of your SotD. Nasomatto Black Afgano sounds intriguing.

Happy Belated Birthday Wishes to Kewart and TheAttorney! I hope you each enjoyed your special day.

Later gators!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 17th September 2009 at 12:27 PM.

Ah, Lilybelle, I wish that I could maintain my optimism and curiosity about La Parisienne. I rushed over to Bloomies to sniff as I was so looking forward to its release. To me, La Parisienne is just a monotonous rose. This from the company that produced the classically beautiful rose, Rive Gauche. Ah, well.

I am wearing Chanel No. 5 parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Ah, Lilybelle, I wish that I could maintain my optimism and curiosity about La Parisienne. I rushed over to Bloomies to sniff as I was so looking forward to its release. To me, La Parisienne is just a monotonous rose. This from the company that produced the classically beautiful rose, Rive Gauche. Ah, well.

I am wearing Chanel No. 5 parfum.
    I'm trying not to be disappointed, especially as I'm a Grosjman fan. But you know, I think I still prefer Kate Moss by Coty. I would imagine No. 5 parfum smells better than most recent releases.

I LOVE the Pour Un Homme ad!! Wonder if the wolfman rugby player is the one standing behind the woman....

The beautiful honeyed flowers of Chanel Beige today- always perfect. I have the Exclusif bottle, but I just love the vintage image.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her (edp)

Shalimar pdt

In Parfums DelRae's Amoureuse today. I am enjoying it, but something is keeping me from the swooning love I have felt for other scents.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Basenotes Plus

Hi, everyone!

Testing Indult Manakara today. Delicious! With its notes of rose and litchi, it's like an exotic, fruit- and floral-laden dessert.

Take care, all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

SOTD: Bleecker Stree by Bond No. 9
    SOTE: Dune by Christian Dior (inspired by Frowned Upon)

I layered Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise with Hermes Gentiane Blanche--somehow, from that combination, I got a maple syrup note, lol. We'll see how it goes

A big hug to ineespenes, I hope the situation works out for the best for you.

Alien today, of which I'm quite enamoured right now.

This one reminds me of Tocade, not because they smell anything alike, but because they are both quirky in similar ways. Tocade is a gourmand that wants to be a floral, and Alien is a floral with a gourmand underpinning. The effect of Tocade is warm and Alien is quite cool. They're like yin and yang.

The funny thing about Alien is that on a test strip it was very warm, very chocolate and patchy, like a Borneo/A*Men thing. On my skin the cool jasmine headlines and the chocolate/patch make it all a little bizarre, in a really good way!

Have a great day, everyone!
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 18th September 2009 at 03:49 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Hi everyone.
    Ineespenes.... hugs are going your way.
    Lilybelle- glad you are feeling much better ! Hugs flying to you too !

This morning I am wearing Bluebell with much gusto and I'm really enjoying the almost gourmand sweetness and the green .Although this is quite light, it does last for some time.
    I love that sweetness in Bluebell - it doesn't go away on my skin.

Have a fab day everyone. Nearly Friday now !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th September 2009 at 02:38 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Third posting's a charm.
    Ines, I hope things work out for the best - hugs.

Mugler Cologne didn't last long, so I continued the soapy theme by treating myself to a few dabs of Chanel Bois des Îles parfum, of which I got a sample from a very generous Basenoter. The opening is still not my favourite (sharp, aldehydic, soapy and way too much ylang) but the dry-down "clicks" today. Yes, it's soapy, but it's also mellow-sweet, chewy and chic. Enjoying it a lot.

SMM, love your review of BA. I should retest it, but the big heady syrupy patchouli in the dry-down scared me off, even if I really liked the opening.

Douglas Adams

Hugs to you, Ines. Follow your instincts and take care of yourself. The longer you let it fester, the harder it will be to unwind. (pardon my appalling mixed metaphors)

I'm in L'Heure Bleu today, wishing it wasn't so reflective of my mood...but, always hoping it at least offers some calm.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Inees---wishing you good luck
    Lilybelle--hoping you're feeling top-notch today
    Veuve--hope your head is better and less pudding-y

Scent sisters with so many of you in Jo Malone's Vanilla Anise refreshments. Love how it starts off so refreshingly and then morphs into cozy comfortable slippers. Well, slippers are figuratively speaking, obviously.
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

It's Dzongkha for me today. Really need to wear this more often, as I simply love it. Wishing all a wonderful day!

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm off to my Rheumatologist appointment this morning, wearing just a tiny bit of Fumerie Turque. I have a hard decision to make regarding starting a new medication or keep trying my old ones a bit longer.

Hugs to ineespenes and to everyone else who needs or wants them.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Vintage Cabochard

Leathery, smoky, lightly floral & a little soapy.
    This one makes you feel like a woman in control!
    Last edited by kumquat; 17th September 2009 at 03:18 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I'm with Mo today. LHB.

My hips & knees have been keeping me from doing too much, including sleeping. OUCH.
    I'm going to try lemon juice in water today to help balance my system.

Also, I made some antibac spray today using essential oils & aloe vera gel. Smells wonderful!

Basenotes Institution

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Whenever I wear this, I feel impeccably well groomed. It's weird how a fragrance can do that.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Joining Kumquat in the preposterously elegant vintage Cabochard.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Sharing the house with Ubu and Mike. Wearing a combo of modern Mitsouko edp and vintage Mitsouko I just bought (it's a little weak, maybe even a little off, but still pretty good and quite smooth).
    Yoikes, Kumquat, another fabulous foto! Bet you smell divine, too. Here's my humble perfume & pic. The charge card there's to show scale and make inference

Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My experiments on layering Parisienne continue. Right now I have it over C&E original Evelyn (which is a fresh rose) and it is a very good combination. The musk softens Evelyn a bit and the rose note is strengthened. Quite pleasant.

I also tried some layering on paper. The results:
    Layered over AA Flora Nerolia-- very dirty smelling, blecch!
    Over Eau d'Hadrien-- weird, not to mention a waste of pre-reformulation Eau d'Hadrien
    Over Eau de Thé Vert Extrême -- produced a sickly candy smell
    Over AA Rosa Magnifica-- Rosa Magnifica completely overwhelmed and obliterated Parisienne.

So far the layering works best with --no surprise-- roses and violets. So tomorrow I'll layer it over Paris. Much as I like Paris, I find it a bit too strong and powdery, so maybe that combo will give me more use of my bottle of Paris. It's a shame to let it just sit there unused.

Big hugs to Ineespenes, big gentle hugs to Shannon and RHM, and more big hugs to anyone else here who feels like a hug from a big, loud, fragrant redhead would be just the ticket!

Today I'm breaking out the first of my two impulse Beautyhabit sale buys: Parfums de Nicholai Grand Vacances. It's a light-hearted, citrusy floral that will work beautifully in warmer weather (or sprayed on the bed linens in the dark of winter when I'm dreaming of sun and light air). I am enjoying it VERY much, but it doesn't quite fit my mood today. I'll be putting on another dose of Penhaligon's Elixir for the evening.

Grand Vacances notes include: Lime, assorted florals (including honeysuckle, I think!), and a very light dusting of cinnamon.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Aoud Shiny today; cannot seem to get into the swing of things this week. Hoping things will be better once I am actually in front of the classroom again next week.

Hugs for the blue and the ailing. Take care all.

Hugs to those in need today. I may be small, but I'm a good squeezer.

Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte

Blog Entries

Quarry, thanks for noticing the picture, but I stole this one from the net. I just got lucky & found a vintage that looks like mine!

Kumquat, you are a bad influence! I think I can blame you and your photos and descriptions for over half of my wish list!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Big hugs to Ineespenes, big gentle hugs to Shannon and RHM, and more big hugs to anyone else here who feels like a hug from a big, loud, fragrant redhead would be just the ticket!
    Hey, ComDiva - do you have a spare big hug for me? Most of my Yesterday was really pretty good - but it was tainted by a late afternoon meeting with a crazy person who thinks it's okay to insult people, lie, bully, and YELL...and people keep letting him get away with it. In any case, my nerves were shot at the end of the evening...it takes so much energy to stand up against bullies...

Hope today is much calmer.

SotD is Chanel No. 19

Basenotes Institution

RainDropSparkle- my friend in Hawaii - I am sending you hugs and kind thoughts too. There are some horrible people ! However - what goes round will come round !

This afternoon I am testing out Isabey Gardenia. This is really not very gardenia- like .... maybe a whiff or two here and there but my goodness- it reminds me of the original Poison ! Maybe not as strong but definitely on the same page.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sous Le Vent

I also wore Bluebell this morning in honor of a certain basenoter. Big hugs to RainDropSparkle. Bullies are the worst.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Quote Originally Posted by RainDropSparkle View Post
    Hey, ComDiva - do you have a spare big hug for me?
    You bet I do, sweetie. ((((RainDropSparkle))))

And give me a few minutes with your yelling bully... Mean people bring out the b*tch in me, and I'm certainly not above pointing out that the louder an opinion is expressed, the more likely it is that there's not a lot of brains behind the bluster.

And you smell divine, even if you're stressed out!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

SotE is Caron's Eau de Reglisse. I'm really enjoying it, it makes me feel all warm & snuggly.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

SotE is Rumeur by Lanvin. Another rose.

Good night!

30Roses, your combos crack me up, but do not mind me please and keep up the good job finding your one'n'only perfect combination!

Bullies -- I somehow am a magnet for them, they are attracted to me -- I used to be working for one who thought he was Napoleon, I am not sure though. Shrieking at the top of his lungs and making me cry would make his day. Glad it is long all over with. (I always think about what Napoleon said: "The army crawls on their belllies" -- quoting it from memory, so if I am wrong feel free to correct it -- meaning that good food is very important in the life of a soldier).

Hugs to inees too!

OK, I wore Parfum d'Hermes today.

Report for the day--my layering combo of JM Vanilla & Anise with Hermes Gentiane Blanche was rather dull, but thankfully tolerable. The bitter green and pepper did not go well with the vanilla, although I thought it might play nice with the anise.

SotE, not sure yet...

SOTE is Cuir de Russie for me. I was inspired from the Cuir Lancome thread.

I think that I too, will snatch a hug from ComDiva.

That's a beauty of a bottle, dear Q.
    Last edited by dimples; 18th September 2009 at 02:35 AM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Can I just tell you all how much I LOVE you? Thanks for the hugs and good wishes...today was free of screaming lunatic bullies, thank goodness...

Tonight I feel like a dab of something that says strength, calm, and good humor...hmmm...what shall it be...

Tom Ford
    Gary

Hugs to inees, raindropsparkle and Sunnyfunny

Today I wore the very edible and sweet Gourmand Coquin
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Hi all!

If anyone's interested, I found that Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise layered really interestingly with her Nutmeg & Ginger. You wouldn't think it would work, but if you have samples, check it out...

My SOTD today was my first test of Tom Ford Arabian Wood.

The first thing that struck me was the unexpectedness of its peachy floral top, with just a pinch of citrus to liven it up. Later, just a touch of orris root and powder proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that whoever designed this had Mitsouko in mind, but with sandalwood, myrrh, and a touch of slightly-sour oud replacing Mitsouko's vanilla oriental base.

So is it a warm-weather Mitsouko? Or a masculine interpretation of it? Or a woody incense scent that just happens to share topnotes with one of the most famous scents available? Who knows... To me, it smells good, but not super-amazing. Hmmmm....
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??