Code of Conduct

Question Oriscent Oud sampler!

Yes, I know I am crazy to even consider this but I am curious....what on earth is in those little vials that they are selling 0.3 grams sampler vials for US$200....

I mean 0.3 grams...how much is that? One little drop? or even less than that?

The website says 0.3 grams is enough for 'several weeks' if used the right way...

What is the right way? How do you split a tiny drop into 20 portions so one sample vial lasts for 20 days?

I am sure there are a few members here who have had experiences with the sampler set.

Please help me with this.

Also there sampler set does not include the much touted 'Sheikh Borneo' anymore?
    Is it still worth buying the sampler set when it contains the following:

Purple Papua
    Wild Himalaya
    Malay Royale
    Blue Brunei
    Assam Kinam
    Royal Kinam

How many wearings (seriously) can you get out of each 0.3ml oud oil vial? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Oriscent Oud sampler!

I know I'm going to ruffle some weathers on the boards, but Oriscent is way over-priced. Besides that, in a highly unregulated market where you are relying on the seller's word of what he is selling you, I don't find the owner humble enough to buy from him- especially at his prices. From the names that are typically thrown around for Oud, Shariff of Agarscents Bazaar is the only one I would feel comfortable with.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

I have both of Oriscents samplers and I do agree it is a bit of a splurge to try his samplers but let me put it this way, Both samples together equals 10 vials, 10 .3ml vials equals 3ml of total Oud oil. Total price is about $200. To me $200 for quality Oud is fair for me considering what is in them. I believe all of the Ouds in their are of quality stature though they are not for ever one for sure but at least to an enthusiast they are definatly interesting. I do agrre Shariff sells some spectacular Ouds as well and I do wish he had sampler sets. I like both companies for different reason but I dont care for Ensars somewhat over the top and down right rude advertising nor to I care for Shariffs elusivness. In the end though its the name of the game, spend alot and get rewarded few. I guess though the few rewards are worth it for some.
    Last edited by abubakr_al-misky; 19th September 2009 at 05:31 AM.

gupts@ the .3 ml vials are definatly enough for at least 10 wearings. all you need is helf of a drop and even that may be to much for some. Remember it is about 30 drops per 1ml so .3ml would be about 9 drops.

I've thought about buying that sample set several times, but I just can't justify spending $200 for samples. I really just want something that will give me an idea of what real oud smells like without having to throw down loads of money... that way I can make up my mind whether oud is for me or not.

Agarscents Bazaar has several 1 ml samples in the $50-100 price range. That's still more than I'd like to pay considering all I need is a drop or two just to see what oud smells like. But... if I were to theoretically throw down for a vial, would you oud veterans recommend a specific sample from this site that's just decent enough in quality to introduce a newbie to oud without breaking his bank?

Quote Originally Posted by abubakr_al-misky View Post
    Both samples together equals 10 vials, 10 .3ml vials equals 3ml of total Oud oil. Total price is about $200.
    mate...there are just 6 oud oils in the sampler set...that makes it a total of 1.8ml and it costs US$200....

Quote Originally Posted by abubakr_al-misky View Post
    gupts@ the .3 ml vials are definatly enough for at least 10 wearings. all you need is helf of a drop and even that may be to much for some. Remember it is about 30 drops per 1ml so .3ml would be about 9 drops.

Do these 0.3 gram samples come in a vial with dipstick?

How is the oil applied? Just touch the tip of the dipstick to your skin once and then spread that tiny drop or do you think one has to swipe the whole length of the dipstick on the skin?

Obviously you just apply once on your skin? Isn't it?
    Which is the best place to apply these seemingly potent oud oils?

Sorry, about that I ment their new sampler and the old sampler together was 10 samples and I should have said $280. Still to me this is worth it for quality Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Do these 0.3 gram samples come in a vial with dipstick?

How is the oil applied? Just touch the tip of the dipstick to your skin once and then spread that tiny drop or do you think one has to swipe the whole length of the dipstick on the skin?

Obviously you just apply once on your skin? Isn't it?
    Which is the best place to apply these seemingly potent oud oils?
    Yes it is the tipical vial with a dipstick. Useing the whole wand to apply would be to much for most so I would recomend useing a little more then the very tip of the wand.

Apllying it is up the individual. I prefer to apply it on the back of my hand and then slightly spread it on my neck a little and then shirt. This allows me to keep sniffing for the rest of the day on my back hand to see its develpoment through the hours as it will last several. Putting on my shirt also alows me to smell it the next day because since I dont wash my shirt many times a day like my hands. Also putting it on my neck allows me to ask my wife to smell it and get her reaction.

I never do the whole vein application thing cause they are to far away from my nose to really get an accurate sniff from them.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Agarscents Bazaar has several 1 ml samples in the $50-100 price range. That's still more than I'd like to pay considering all I need is a drop or two just to see what oud smells like. But... if I were to theoretically throw down for a vial, would you oud veterans recommend a specific sample from this site that's just decent enough in quality to introduce a newbie to oud without breaking his bank?
    For a more affordable Oud sampler I would suggest this one: http://agaraura.com/sampler.html

I have smelled most of them and they are very good for offering a range of Oud oil scents and they are all quality.

I checked Agarscents 1ml samplers and honestly I didnt see anything that I think a begginer would like from them except his Hindi Ateeq which is wonderfull but it is $160 for 1ml. Everything else is Chinese or Indian which may blow away your idea what Oud should smell like.

really there are so many variations to what Oud smells like that it is real hard to know what Oud smells like from 1 sample so for this reason I would suggest getting a sampler pack that represent different countries or regions and species.

Gupts, I had similar misgivings before getting an Oriscent sampler pack a few months ago as the price for the amount of oil seemed outrageously high. However, I am glad I did as it opened up the world of pure oud oils to me and steered me in the right direction for figuring out what I like. You really don't want to blind-buy oud, the potential disappointements can be very expensive.

I would also say that for a beginner Oriscent offers probably the best ouds, most other sellers carry the typical Indian ouds favoured in the Middle East but not necessarily suitable to a novice. Oriscent tends to shy away from Hindi's and leands towards the Indonesian type oils which are far easier to embrace for somebody new.

Other than Oriscent's, I would suggest trying Agaraura's samples, especially their Cambodi Ateeq, and Oudimentary's KSSS which is a great Cambodi oud. I would stay away from ebay seller QT (aka Ham_Firl), I don't have much trust in his products.

Here's some brief impressions on the ouds in the sampler pack you're considering:

Purple Papua - not bad, but has a certain pronounced mineral-y quality that makes it smell a bit strage to me. No barnyard/fecalness.

Wild Himalaya - INTENSLY fecal, loved by the conosseaurs of the fecal Hindi genre, but it will stun the un-initiated and may get you evicted from your house by family members. I could never ever wear this in public.

Malay Royale - Mellow, woody, with a bit of what almost smells like vetiver to me. Nice enough and obviously high quality but Oriscent has much better oils. No barnyard/fecalness.

Blue Brunei - Very nice and radiant opening then a sweet woodiness develops almost instantly, a lighter scent suitable for hot weather (but then again, most ouds are) or to be worn by a woman, very enjoyable, part of my latest rotation. This one is recommended (I think it's also on sale now).

Assam Kinam - Haven't tried this one but I hear that despite Oriscent's description it's somewhat fecal so if you don't dig this aspect of most Hindi ouds, it may turn you off in Assam Kinam.

Royal Kinam - The most unique in the pack. Marketing nonesense of snipers guarding the jungle and such aside this is a great oil. It has a certain vapoury quality that radiates and fills the air. The top notes are often described as "camphorous" although it's not similar to the actual smell of camphor but rather creates a similar sensation - of penetrating, almost menthol-like substance. The top notes are supported by sweet woodiness and this oil to me creates an impression of upliftment, light and optimism. Overall this is probably the best oud in Oriscent's current line-up.

Hope this helps!

abubakr_al-misky: this sample pack is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, thank you very much for the tip.

Thank you Mudassir, abubakr_al-misky & Igor01 for your contributions.

I will try to explore around a bit more before I splurge.