Code of Conduct

Default Is something wrong with me?

OK - I've got some samples and done some testing. Also tried a bunch of stuff at the store - sniffing cards and then wearing on skin for several hours.

I tested and loved Creed Bois du Portugal - bought a bottle.
    I tested Clive Christian and it smelled great for 20 minutes and then disappeared. For $300 some odd dollars, thats unacceptable.
    I've had really good luck with Tom Ford stuff (Black Orchid, TF for Men, and several private blends.)

Off of recommendations, I got samples/decants of Comme des Garcons Monacle Hinoki Scent One, Amouage Jubilation XXV and Amouage Lyric. Maybe something is wrong with me, but both the CDG and Jubilation smell like "ferret" and then either linger (CDG) or completely disappear (Jubilation.) The Lyric starts off like a feminine rose and then dissolves into mush - nothing that incredible. The way people on here talk about these frags - I thought they would be life changing and amazing, but wearing them all day - I feel king of .. meh .. about them. It certainly doesn't justify the price, at least not for me.

The Creed BdP on the other hand - I wore last night while DJing and I had straight guys asking me what it was. (I live in Nashville - if that adds anything.)
    On the other hand, I tested Guerlain L'instant in the store with an all day spray and loved it. I got a decant of the Extreme and its even more exceptional (though I can't find a bottle to buy to save my life.)

Is there something with my skin that just reacts better to Creed, Tom Ford and Guerlain fragrances? Or am I just not an Amouage/CdG person?

Default Re: Is something wrong with me?

You've just got to find the style of scent you like - and by style I mean a large combination of things - how heavy/light a scent is, how angular its composition is (some are extremely angular with notes jutting out in jagged and seemingly in random fashion, others are dense and smooth and all the notes blend into one accord or are carefully woven against a constant note, similar to how a pedal tone is used in music [I find Lyric Man to be a fragrance that exemplifies that well, rose being the pedal tone]).

There's nothing right or wrong about liking or disliking any particular house, scent, style, or even category of scent (although don't dismiss say, aquatics, as a whole based on a handful of mainstream drivel!).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Seems like your skin likes the aromachemical all three houses use for their "ambergris". Especially the Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post

Off of recommendations, I got samples/decants of Comme des Garcons Monacle Hinoki Scent One, Amouage Jubilation XXV and Amouage Lyric. Maybe something is wrong with me, but both the CDG and Jubilation smell like "ferret" and then either linger (CDG) or completely disappear (Jubilation.)
    I think the problem here could be your associations. I know Hinoki is heavy on the cedar, and I'm pretty sure XXV is as well. Usually people say "hamster cage" because they had hamsters when they grew up. Strong cedar accords are often disliked by people who grew up with pets who used cedar bedding.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post
    OK - I've got some samples and done some testing. Also tried a bunch of stuff at the store - sniffing cards and then wearing on skin for several hours.

I tested and loved Creed Bois du Portugal - bought a bottle.
    I tested Clive Christian and it smelled great for 20 minutes and then disappeared. For $300 some odd dollars, thats unacceptable.
    I've had really good luck with Tom Ford stuff (Black Orchid, TF for Men, and several private blends.)

Off of recommendations, I got samples/decants of Comme des Garcons Monacle Hinoki Scent One, Amouage Jubilation XXV and Amouage Lyric. Maybe something is wrong with me, but both the CDG and Jubilation smell like "ferret" and then either linger (CDG) or completely disappear (Jubilation.) The Lyric starts off like a feminine rose and then dissolves into mush - nothing that incredible. The way people on here talk about these frags - I thought they would be life changing and amazing, but wearing them all day - I feel king of .. meh .. about them. It certainly doesn't justify the price, at least not for me.

The Creed BdP on the other hand - I wore last night while DJing and I had straight guys asking me what it was. (I live in Nashville - if that adds anything.)
    On the other hand, I tested Guerlain L'instant in the store with an all day spray and loved it. I got a decant of the Extreme and its even more exceptional (though I can't find a bottle to buy to save my life.)

Is there something with my skin that just reacts better to Creed, Tom Ford and Guerlain fragrances? Or am I just not an Amouage/CdG person?
    Nothing at all wrong with you or your skin. You like what you like REGARDLESS of what people on here rave about. Trust your nose bro and then spend accordingly.

Royal - THANK YOU
    Cedar -- thats it .. thats the "ferret smell" -- now I know what to avoid.

Thank you.