Code of Conduct

Thread: On collecting

Default On collecting

Thought I'd share a favorite quote from Jose Saramago on the phenomenon of collecting:

There are people like Senhor José everywhere, who fill their time, or what they believe to be their spare time, by collecting stamps, coins, medals, vases, postcards, matchboxes, books, clocks, sport shirts, autographs, stones, clay figurines, empty beverage cans, little angels, cacti, opera programmes, lighters, pens, owls, music boxes, bottles, bonsai trees, paintings, mugs, pipes, glass obelisks, ceramic ducks, old toys, carnival masks, and they probably do so out of something that we might call metaphysical angst, perhaps because they cannot bear the idea of chaos being the one ruler of the universe, which is why, using their limited powers and with no divine help, they attempt to impose some order on the world, and for a short while they manage it, but only as long as they are there to defend their collection, because when the day comes when it must be dispersed, and that day always comes, either with their death or when the collector grows weary, everything goes back to its beginnings, everything returns to chaos. - All the Names

Anyone have others to share?

Regards,

Jeremy
    If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -Alexander Solzhenitsyn, novelist, Nobel laureate

Wanting to try:

Fougère Bengale, Cafe Noir

Wanting to buy:

Yohji Homme EDT

Default Re: On collecting

What a fantastic quote - thanks Jeremey. This quote instills the kind of thoughts in me that soothe the soul (and any crazy collector anxiety I might be having lol).
    Sales thread here

Hillaire

"Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing." -Sylvia Plath

"Nobody collects anything because they are happy..." -My ex-husband
    Last edited by Hillaire; 19th September 2009 at 09:32 PM.

About a week ago I was thinking about how interesting frags are as a "collectible," because you consume your collection over time. Yet once you have a lot of frags, it's clear that you may not live to consume all the juice !

Hillaire

Well, I rationalize my "collection", by terming it a "connoisseurship". And I imagine that my drawers full of perfume bottles are like the well-stocked cellar of a wine enthusiast... And yet I find myself getting all excited about ebay values, etc, just like an old lady with her Hummel collection...

I collect to know.
    Griff

Yikes! A Hummel!

Wait here while I get my hammer.
    Griff

My rationalization is that my son would be the nicest smelling kid at school. : )

Great quote! I had the pleasure of interviewing Saramago a few years back, and he's a true erudite in the best sense of the word.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing." -Sylvia Plath
    Thank you for posting this one, I didn't know it but I find it to be very true.

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    My rationalization is that my son would be the nicest smelling kid at school. : )
    Ha! That's mine too. He's outa school and I'm figuring he's gonna be so grateful to the old man when he hits late 20s and wants something distinctive and cool. Some 2009 'vintage' Mazzolari Lui, my boy - no problem.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 19th September 2009 at 11:12 AM.

Interesting idea and possibly true. But there are many reasons for collecting. The things I "collect" are objects that I get to use, such as recorded music. The fragrances I am acquiring is a very enjoyable "collection". I get to use the collection every day and smell good at the same time. There is no downside yet.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Great quote! I had the pleasure of interviewing Saramago a few years back, and he's a true erudite in the best sense of the word.
    Interesting! I enjoy his work.

I save quotes that resonate with me, and read through them from time to time.
    If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -Alexander Solzhenitsyn, novelist, Nobel laureate

Wanting to try:

Fougère Bengale, Cafe Noir

Wanting to buy:

Yohji Homme EDT

I collect fragrances simply because it gives me pleasure. When I tire one day (although I can't imagine)
    I will pass it on to another caring soul.