Code of Conduct

Question Which fragrance is it...?

Hi,

I'm looking for some help to find out who's manufacturing and the correct name of the fragrance.

I'm not even sure if it's for female or male, but if I recall correctly my friend mentioned it was for female - but due to it's interesting smell he was thinking about trying it out. He never got to it though (this was a year or two), and when I was in Paris I remembered.

Btw. everywhere I went, they asked if it was the Versace or Chanel (but it is not) - because they all seemed to have that in stock. When I asked about the possible Avon or Montale (due to the fragrance directory on the site), dependent if the name is correct, they had no clue.

So here goes the "riddle".

He claimed the name was Crysta(a)l and never mentioned the manufacturer. From BaseNotes fragrance directory it seems there's a couple of fragrances named Crystal/Cristal similar.

It's supposed to change smell over time and it's supposed to start out with something reminding you about mocca chocolate then change into a swift smell of cherry before it ends up in a vanilla flavour until it dies out.

Anyone heard about it? Supposedly a French girl in the store had heard about it, but couldn't understand my English question when I asked if she knew who made it

My time in Paris was still kinda worth it though, as I ended up with a big ass bottle (250 ml) of the excellent Dior Bois d'Argent.

I'm hopeful some of you would know.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by thorin; 19th September 2009 at 03:46 AM.

Default Re: Which fragrance is it...?

Welcome, thorin!

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that matches all the parts of your riddle.

There's Chanel Cristalle, but it's a green fragrance, no chocolate, cherry, or vanilla in sight.

There's Balenciaga Cristobal, which is fig, jasmine, and vanilla (among other things), and that doesn't really fit, either.

Versace's Bright Crystal & Crystal Noir also don't seem to fit the bill.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help. Maybe another Basenoter will have some ideas!
    Sniff and let sniff.

A directory quick search using the word "crystal" turns up 13 possibilities.

My guess is Crystal Chic by Caroline Herrera. The notes are berries, freesia, musk, sandalwood, ambrette and vanilla. If you want to see a picture, eBay has it listed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Carolina-Herrera...d=p3286.c0.m14
    Last edited by socalwoman; 19th September 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Wink Re: Which fragrance is it...?

Hi tang,

Thank you very much

Yeah, that's what all the employees in the shops I visited in Paris also thought. Everytime I brought up Crystal, they came with either Chanel or Versace - and it's neither.

But thanks for the help anyway (I just hope to find it soon, hehe)!

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Welcome, thorin!

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that matches all the parts of your riddle.

There's Chanel Cristalle, but it's a green fragrance, no chocolate, cherry, or vanilla in sight.

There's Balenciaga Cristobal, which is fig, jasmine, and vanilla (among other things), and that doesn't really fit, either.

Versace's Bright Crystal & Crystal Noir also don't seem to fit the bill.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help. Maybe another Basenoter will have some ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    A directory quick search using the word "crystal" turns up 13 possibilities.
    Yeah Asha, true. And I looked over them all, but couldn't find the ingredients for some of them. The listed ones with more information, doesn't really make sense if it's supposed to smell like described above.

Thanks though.

Question Re: Which fragrance is it...?

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I'll link my friend and find out if he's ever seen the bottle himself so he can verify and confirm if it's the correct one or not.

But hasn't anyone here ever heard about a fragrance similar to this one, where it changes smell?

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    My guess is Crystal Chic by Caroline Herrera. The notes are berries, freesia, musk, sandalwood, ambrette and vanilla. If you want to see a picture, eBay has it listed here: http://cgi.ebay.com/Carolina-Herrera...d=p3286.c0.m14

Hi

A lot of perfumes change smell, often they are madeto change smell in 3 stages.
    The first are called topnotes, you smell them for a few minutes after you spray it on. The second stage are the middle notes, they come in after the topnotes fade away.
    The basenotes is the third stage and these you can smell for hours later, vanilla is a very typical basenote.

These 3 stages are often referred to as a pyramid and most perfumes are built up from one.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Hi Lian,

Thanks for the explanation

Well, then I suppose it shouldn't be as hard as I first thought. Even though it still seems like I have a problem figuring out who makes it.

Hi, thorin -- many fragrances develop & change over time, from what it smells like when you first spray it to what it smells like after a few hours (the drydown). Something that starts off smelling like your example of chocolate in the topnotes may change to hints of floral or fruit and then finish with a base of sweet vanilla (or musk or patchouli, etc.) before it fades away completely. Drying down to a vanilla base is pretty common. The fact that this mystery fragrance changes over time is probably not going to be the key to identifying it...

There are a few fragrances in the directory that list both cherry and vanilla in the pyramid, but I'm not coming up with anything that lists chocolate, cherry, and vanilla all at once.

Ah, Lian was way ahead of me.

Fragrantica.com has a cool and easy tool for finding fragrances by notes. You might want to try that. Just another avenue to try to figure out what your fragrance is.

Jen reminded me of something too--Osmoz.com is also a good place to search by notes, and the searches are prioritized by the quality of match to your search.

Sounds foody, like Comptoir Sud Pacifique scents- Cristal de Musc came to mind. Even though there are no foody notes in this one, I found it quite fruity and I get vanilla out of almost all the CSPs.

Montale Crystal flowers?
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Montale Crystal flowers?
    Hey arwen,

Do you know if this smells like described?

This is exactly what I wished for, that people would recognize the smelllls if possible - hopefully even used the fragrance before so it would be easier

Judging from the reviews, Crystal Flowers is probably not it, either.

Quote from Vibert's review:
    Crystal Flowers is a delicate, sophisticated blend of roses, white flowers, musk, and soft woods

Montale's Crystal Flowers is certainly not it: that one smells of ethereal roses, no foody notes at all.

Judging by the sweetness factor in your description I think it would be either CSP Cristal or a Lalique scent (these are invariably sweet I find and they're a crystal-producing house after all!) Usually people think of an association and then to recall the association when asked later rather than the actual details/specifics of said issue, so my reasoning for Lalique bears some logic. Do try them out please, it shouldn't be difficult, they're widely available.

BTW, if these are the notes you perceive but *not* the official notes (I know, sometimes these are night and day, see Lovely by SJP for instance!), then a search machine won't be of help, because they enlist the OFFICIAL notes.

Are you sure it was Crystal? From the description of the notes, I could see it being Armani Diamond (same name theme,kinda?)- the femme version is gourmand/woody.

Oops, I forgot to check in.

helg: I guess it's just how my friend perceived it, not offical. But he's kind of a freak so I thought he'd be pretty much spot on as he was on the Dior bois D'argant.

leffleur: My friend was, I haven't smelled it or even come close, I just want to

Okay...time to get CSI on this...does your friend remember exactly what store he was in? If we narrow that down, we can figure out what they carry. In fact, with this wonderful international basenotes community someone may even live nearby.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    My time in Paris was still kinda worth it though, as I ended up with a big ass bottle (250 ml) of the excellent Dior Bois d'Argent.
    So jealous! That's all you need then lol.