Code of Conduct

Default The adventurer's fragrance of choice

One of my greatest passions is travelling to foreign countries, espiecially in Asia and explore them, far away from the locations destined for tourism. I like the adventure of immersing into the foreign culture and life, taste new flavors, see, taste and hear the unknown.

I am still looking for kind of a signature scent, that expresses this hunger for exploring exotic destinations and cultures, that expresses exotic, adventure and freedom. I am thinking exotic woods, spices, coffee, maybe some fruits or incense...

Any suggestions? I want something really outstanding, high-quality and unique, that would fit a romantic traveller and adventurer, who is at home in the world and is longing for the exotic and excitment of ever new adventures,.... kinda like that.

Default Re: The adventurer's fragrance of choice

I bought L'Air du Desert Marocain with a similar idea in mind; I think at the time I was specifically trying to plan a trek through Peru. I think that and others similar to it are perfect fragrances for traveling through vast spaces and monumental landscapes. Dry and spicy and most importantly, multi-dimensional, so you could happily take it from country to country and find it relevant.

Have you tried any of these L'Artisan Parfumeur fragrances?

L'Eau du Navigateur
    Dzongkha
    Navegar
    Timbuktu

I also think these could fill the bill:

Comme des Garçons Kyoto (or others from the incense series)
    Lubin Idole
    Parfumerie Generale Aomassai

Last, Boston perfumer Neil Morris seems to share your love for exotic places. You might want to check his website and order some samples. Examples:

Gandhara
    Assam
    Izmir
    Café

I love your question. This category of fragrances interests me. I'm sure others will have some good ideas for you, too. Please let us know what you try and what you choose!

I spend most of the year in Africa, at sea, hunting etc. I fit the bill of aventurer yet I have not found the right fragrance. Safari, Adventure, Explorer, this and that nothing really makes me feel "completed" .
    I sometimes feel I should pull the trigger and buy Lonestar Memories.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

When I feel adventurous I thing Silver Mountain water

I'm thinking along similar lines as Aznavour and Haunani - my travel frag is CdG Ouarzazate. I like dry incense-woods for traveling as they are neutral enough to not bore of quickly, yet lend an air of sophistication and mystery.

Apart from the already mentioned (which I agree with wholeheartedly!), try Armani Privé Bois d'Encens or Annick Goutal Encens Flamboyant/Duel/Myrrhe Ardente, or even L'Artisan Tea for Two.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Along the same line of dry incense

10 Corso Como
    Timbuktu

Also, consider MPG Bois de Turquie which is a very complex blend of citrus and bay over an iris, geranium (rosey) and cinnamon heart and light incense and patchouli base. This scent is complex but light enough to wear in almost all weather and actually blooms best in a bit of heat. It's sophisticated and full of depth but also warm, inviting and comforting - positive qualities to portray as a stranger in a strange land.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Less expensive:

Himalaya - Creed
    Eau Noire - Dior
    L'Eau de Jatamansi

More expensive:

Gringo - Profumo.it
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    Homage - Amouage

Last edited by L'Aventurier; 19th September 2009 at 07:23 PM.
    Sales thread here

Yachting by Pascal Morabito

Dependent

+1 on L'eau du Navigateur.

Annick Goutal's Myrrhe Ardente and Encens Flamboyant seem to be appropriate. They are remind me of certain Asian temples.

Divine L'Homme Sage
    CdG Zagorsk

I must also add L'Air du Desert Marocain.
    Last edited by weylin; 21st September 2009 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    ...L'Eau de Jatamansi...
    This is another great one, especially for warm weather!

Of all the ones mentioned so far (that I've tried), I think Timbuktu would be my #1 choice.

Timbuktu for sure. It's adventure in a bottle.

Go through the Comme des Garcons Series 3: Incense range. All great, evocative incense blends.

surely Chergui by Serge Lutens,
    an excerpt from the sample card:

A transformation of flowers, sap, resin and nectar. The fragrant memory of the desert!

I really like Chergui and I would recommend it for any weather type. its got that soft whispy oriental style that can suit any terrain and location. Its a 5 star scent
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Just for kicks and giggles I'll say Polo Explorer haha

I second polo explorer and would even add Old Spice.

Thanks for the abundent comments, alot of stuff to sample, many things that confirm my own expirience. So far from all the scents I tested since I found basenotes 9 month ago, the fragrances that fit the bill of a romantic/exotic/adventures smell the most for me where:
    - L'air du Maroccain
    - Tam Dao
    - Musc Ravageur
    - Chergui
    - Idole
    - Yohji Homme is at least from the listed notes (licorice, chocolate, coffee, cinnamon,sandalwood) EXACTLY what I am looking for, but the actually fragrance, so nice, is not soo stunning if my memory is correct.

The notes that I am really looking for are: exotic woods, coffee, cinnamon, licorice, chocolate, vanilla, maybe Oudh, maybe incense.

From the suggestions I definitly want to try:
    L'Eau du Navigateur
    Timbuktu
    MPG Bois de Turquie
    Homage
    CdG Zagorsk

Something is making me say Polo Original, but I don't know what.

Here is my best explanation:

You know that guy in the Dos Equis (XX) beer comercials? "The Most Interesting Man the World"? For some reason, I think he wears Polo. And he can speak French. In Russian.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."