Code of Conduct

Thread: Jade East

Default Jade East

Now here's one no ever writes about on these boards.

I found an old bottle of Jade East in the back of my linen closet this morning. I thought I had lost this years ago. Fragrances don't get much more old-school or manly than Jade East - a strong, macho fougere from the 1960s that sells for dirt cheap. Despite its el-cheapo price, this is a good scent. It's like a cruder YSL Rive Gauche with a nice powdery, slightly sweet drydown. Not terribly complex, but a good scent nonetheless. I've always liked Jade East, and I'm happy I found my old bottle.

Any of you wear this still? Any of you like it? Hate it? (you can say it - I won't be offended!)
    Last edited by shamu1; 19th September 2009 at 11:59 PM.

Default Re: Jade East

OMG Shamu, I remember this one, it was one of the first After Shaves I ever used. My Father wore it. Itwas a smoother Brut. Where Brut is ultra masculine jade is more reserved and softer. I would love to get some, where can I find it. it's a 60's fragbut I hope they still make it

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    OMG Shamu, I remember this one, it was one of the first After Shaves I ever used. My Father wore it. Itwas a smoother Brut. Where Brut is ultra masculine jade is more reserved and softer. I would love to get some, where can I find it. it's a 60's fragbut I hope they still make it
    As far as I know, it's still being made. It's easy to find online, and still dirt cheap. I know FragranceNet.com has it in stock in the EDT and the aftershave. They also have Jade East Musk. Ever try the Musk? I never have.

I just read over the BN reviews on JE. Man, people really seem to hate this scent!

Yeah shamu, I just read the reviews too, I guess it's just us lol. I'll still get it for sentimental reasons. Hell I'll probabably wear it

I'm sure Brut is far more masculine! lol... I'd like to try Jade East though. I like the cheapo scents coz when you find a good'un, you can't help feeling satisfaction that you never paid over 30 quid for it like a 'designer' frag!
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Quote Originally Posted by seasoldiermarine View Post
    Yeah shamu, I just read the reviews too, I guess it's just us lol. I'll still get it for sentimental reasons. Hell I'll probabably wear it
    Yeah, I could see wearing it for sentimentality, but quite frankly, I wear it because I actually think it smells good! It does however smell pretty vile if it's overapplied.

I have a feeling there aren't many responses to this thread because people probably think we're nuts for liking this juice!

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    I'm sure Brut is far more masculine! lol... I'd like to try Jade East though. I like the cheapo scents coz when you find a good'un, you can't help feeling satisfaction that you never paid over 30 quid for it like a 'designer' frag!
    Welcome back - I remember you from the Hai Karate thread! I see you haven't been able to score a bottle of Jade East yet. Have you tried FragranceNet.com yet? They have it for pretty cheap.

I would agree that Brut is stronger and a bit more in-your-face than Jade East, but more manly? Not sure. Jade East has a sweeter and, IMO, better drydown than Brut. Personally, I've never liked Brut, but I respect it.

Hillaire

I can honestly say I found it shockingly vile, nauseating! Worse-smelling than the odors we attempt to mask by far... I discovered this one in someone's bathroom many years ago, and I can still conjure the horror. Scrubber dosen't even approach it.
    (sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I can honestly say I found it shockingly vile, nauseating! Worse-smelling than the odors we attempt to mask by far... I discovered this one in someone's bathroom many years ago, and I can still conjure the horror. Scrubber dosen't even approach it.
    (sorry)
    Oh damn! I was hoping at least one female BNer would say she liked this! My wife hates it too, which means I have to wear it covertly.

Any women at Basenotes like Jade East?

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    Oh damn! I was hoping at least one female BNer would say she liked this! My wife hates it too, which means I have to wear it covertly.

Any women at Basenotes like Jade East?
    This really made me laugh: the idea of someone wearing Jade East in secret! That's commitment!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    This really made me laugh: the idea of someone wearing Jade East in secret! That's commitment!
    I'm not going to sacrifice my marriage over a bottle of Jade East.

Welcome back - I remember you from the Hai Karate thread! I see you haven't been able to score a bottle of Jade East yet. Have you tried FragranceNet.com yet? They have it for pretty cheap.

I would agree that Brut is stronger and a bit more in-your-face than Jade East, but more manly? Not sure. Jade East has a sweeter and, IMO, better drydown than Brut. Personally, I've never liked Brut, but I respect it.
    I've not been away!

I'll definitely acquire Jade East online at some point... I'll take a looky!
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

Blog Entries

I had a bottle 40 years ago. When I got into the hobby this year I looked for it & couldn't find it. I haven't seen it in drugstore sections where I found some other scentimental favorites. Does anyone have an old bottle to compare to what's available now? Turin says Brut has been reformulated and is nothing like the juice he remebers fondly from when he had hair.

I'm not going to sacrifice my marriage over a bottle of Jade East.
    You mean to tell me that Jade East has the power to end your marriage!?

Could Jade East be the antidote to a bad marriage too?

Seems Jade East is hard to get hold of if you're in the UK. I'm certainly not paying nearly 10 quid postage as well as nearly 10 quid for the bottle, I'd sooner go buy a designer frag I know and love for that kinda moolah.

Even eBay is strugglin'!

I'll just keep me mincers peeled for a cheap bottle to turn up somewhere online, but so far it's not looking good!

save your money, what they are making today is a joke. not the same formula. i was told by one of the reps. at swank, they used civet, which is illigal in this day and age. i think five star fragrance bought the rights to jade east. i know they make bijon now, which they totally destroyed along with royal copenhagen.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Remember this when I was in high school. Didn't know they still made it.

Blog Entries

My husband has a bottle that he bought for old time's sake at a drug store a couple of years ago.

Basenotes Institution

OMG I wore this in elementary school, I think...I can't remember how it smelled. The liquid was green in color!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I actually own and have tried the Musk version, found it a couple of years ago when Big Lots had a closeout from a drugstore.

I think it smells greener and lighter than the original with an underlying heaviness from the musk, I only have vintage samples to compare it to, I think the original leans more towards Brut. I don't actually mind it, something about it makes me like wearing it on hot summer days.
    Currently wearing: Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

My first bottle of cologne when I was a teenager in the 1966. There weren't many choices back then. It was new, and only on the market for two years when I got mine. I remember loving it, but I think I would be afraid to smell it now.
    Last edited by thebeck; 28th June 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Blog Entries

I got a 60% full sixties-vintage Swank bottle of the AS at an estate sale today, perhaps mostly because the color of it was so fascinating. An edgy, slightly pushy fougere, far better than I had imagined, but I don't think I shall keep it.

Blog Entries

Give it a little time, though, it may grow on you-- and if not, there's always eBay!

i found my bottle - from 1966 - and it still smells beautiful.....