Code of Conduct

Default SotD Sunday 20 September -09

Good morning all.Today is a very grey and boring day. Felt like wearing something with a bit of ooompf due to this. Sotd is Coco edp. Hope you all have a nice day and that all those going through a rough time feel better soon!
    Last edited by ineespenes; 20th September 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Default Re: SotD Sunday 20 September -09

Good morning

I chose Miami Glow.

It is still super humind over here, wearing Britney Spears - Believe.

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Yves Saint-Laurent Kouros. Have a great Sunday everyone!

Top notes: Laurel, Artemisia, Coriander, Bergamot
    Middle notes: Carnation, Cinnamom, Geranium, Jasmine
    Base notes: Vetiver, Patchouli, Amber, Musk

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

OH! Look at that! I picked something warm and classic for church on a fall day, and thus became scent twins with Ineespenes! Original Coco EdP for me, too!
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Canoe (Dana) layered with Tosca (Murer & Wirtz, ex Muelhens)
    Waiting for the yummy drydown!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning all!

After yesterday's loooong day of sampling fragrances in NYC (see my late night post in Saturday's SotD thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showp...4&postcount=49), today I've spritzed on a sample of Guerlain Idylle given to me by Luis at Saks. The first thing one notices is the gentle lily of the valley note. I love LOTV and am always happy to find another fragrance that has this note.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 20th September 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo

Basenotes Plus

Sharing the house with Ine and Mo in Chanel #22. Hoo boy, it's drop dead gorgeous.

Have a lovely day, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

one spritz of Carnal Flower is all one needs.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Continued hugs all round. Hope things are looking up for your Inees.

Welcomewelcome Pola N!

30 Roses, looks like a fun trip. I take it the Carnal Flower didn't smell like Fracas then?

I'm stinking it up in Bandit

Have a great weekend!!

30 Roses, enjoyed your account of your sniffing trip. Those days are so exciting, especially if - like me - you don't live at the epicentre of perfume retailing!

Had an unexpected visit from a NZ cousin and his wife this morning, which prompted an 11th hour flurry of hoovering. Wore JM Vanilla & Anise, which seemed suitably quiet for people of an unknown perfume persuasion. Turns out my cousin's wife wears EL Intuition, which was my signature scent (by default, as it was my only bottle!) before this madness kicked in.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 20th September 2009 at 12:20 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I've got the sample of L'Ombre Dans L'Eau on that Hebe procured for me. It has a really quickly flash of something green & citrussy at the start, and then it turns to a strange orchard-kind of smell on me. It's making me think of autumn and jam making. I've had it on a few hours now, and the rose is just peeking out.

It's another for the to buy one day list, I think.

30 Roses your sniffing adventure sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

Hosted a delicious dinner party with good friends last night- a huge success, thank you Nigella Lawson YUM

The simple feminine beauty of Ivoire de Balmain is perfect for post party clean up (& recovery lol)

Top: aldehydes, chamomile, mandarin orange, violet, artemisia, marigold, bergamot & lemon
    Heart: nutmeg, carnation, cinnamon, narcissus, pepper, orris root, jasmine, turkish rose, neroli, ylang-ylang & LOTV
    Base: base notes are sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, raspberry, vanilla, oakmoss, vetiver & incense

Last edited by Jane Daly; 20th September 2009 at 02:05 PM.

Parfum Sacre for this cool morning. I am so happy to have some lovely Fall weather!
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

First day in Cuir de Russie this season. I missed it!

Ormonde Jayne Woman for me, breaking a long run for Timbktu.

Pip, you're getting much more from l'Ombre dans l'Eau than I did, it was straight snapped stems on me for ever. Pretty, but no development on me at all.

Basenotes Institution

Eid Mubarak to all celebrating - عيد مبارك‎ !

Hi everyone- all are smelling wonderful as usual . If we were all in a room together ,how great that room would smell ....

This morning it's Opium extrait.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th September 2009 at 03:19 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Spending a quality morning documenting a grievance against a co-worker. (BlackCat knows what I'm talking about).

Ugh.

Why is it that large organizations spend more time and energy trying to remediate deadweight (and I'm being polite) than helping their good employees?

JPG Ma Dame for now. Because I'm not wild about this scent and don't care if I wind up with unpleasant associations from it.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

In Dans Tes Bras again after a luxuriously late start to my day. A nice day lies ahead. I will finish an article that I am writing, do some baking, sort through bills, do my internet food shopping (welcome to New York life!), and then rub and roast a turkey. With the exception of the bills, I will have a good day.

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Samsara EDP and sampling Idylle (love) and Parisienne (LOVE)
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, I miss Luis! Great guy, very knowledgable. He used to be at Barneys with Frederick Malle. Glad to know he's at SAKs. Thanks, 30 Roses!

Today I'm wearing Parfums de Nicoli Maharadjah edp. I purchased a partial bottle from Ruggles here on basenotes & I'm very glad I did.

Here's my little review:

"In general, I am not a fan of lavender used in pefumery (aromatherapy's another thing altogether) but Maharadjah has proven to be an exception. The lavender opening IS bold and may be offputting to some. However, if you are looking for a very interesting fragrance, stick around for the dry down, it's absolutly worth the wait.

The cinnamon/clove/sandal/patch drydown is delightful, warm, enveloping. Coffee isn't a note mentioned but every now & then I seem to catch a whiff of it, or something which reminds me of a wonderful warm cup of the dark brew.

Maharadjah has an aura; it's the only scent I prefer to smell from a few inches from my skin. If I snuffle, as I'm wont to do, with my nose pressed into my flesh, the overall effect isn't as pleasant. (Too much lavender staight to the sinuses.) Instead, step away from the wrist (or wherever) and enjoy the sillage of Maharadjah.

If you like the notes, I don't think you will be dissapointed, surprised perhaps, but not dissapointed."

Thanx for the min-revue Red Hot....certainly piqued MY interest!!

Day started sunny and is now pouting...thing I need the shimmery golden fun of.....

Due to visit with kids and TWMAG...the latter LUVS the light glitter this fun frag leaves behind!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Red face Re: SotD Sunday 20 September -09

Thanks Jillsy!
    Curiously, after my concotion half-vanished I refreshed it with some Bandit too. I'm hopeless
    Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Continued hugs all round. Hope things are looking up for your Inees.

Welcomewelcome Pola N!

30 Roses, looks like a fun trip. I take it the Carnal Flower didn't smell like Fracas then?

I'm stinking it up in Bandit

Have a great weekend!!

Basenotes Institution

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Seems like I'm not the only one who got inspired to wear this today, from discussing this on the thread Caeser posted yesterday. Good stuff, and quite lavish for a lazy Sunday at home paying bills and watering the lawn. But hey...life's short - I need to wear these fragrances and stop saving them for special occasions. Every day is a reason to wear something special like this one.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Ava Luxe Opoponax Intense today. Cuddly sweater frag much more suited for a cloudy day (which, admittedly, I thought today would be) - so it feels a bit out of place. Still love it, though.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Alien

Welcome, Pola N.!

Thanks for the hugs yesterday, friends.

I'm wearing Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, but I'll be sampling later.

Happy Day!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Yes, Luis was great to converse with perfumes with. I don't think I've ever spoken with a more knowledgeable perfume SA anywhere.

At Barneys the Malle SA who helped us was Nelson S.; perhaps you know him as well.

One thing I want to add about our NYC trip is that I was sooooo glad I brought along the empty 2.5 ml atomizers. Without those, there would have been very few samples to bring home-- with them, I got samples at every counter where we requested one, including Barneys (not so in Barneys Boston last month, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    Oh, I miss Luis! Great guy, very knowledgable. He used to be at Barneys with Frederick Malle. Glad to know he's at SAKs. Thanks, 30 Roses!

Happy sunday to all and hugs all around, they make everything right.

Welcome to Pola, hope you are having fun here

30 Roses, your day sounded s(c)en(t)sational.

Today i will be wearing Moment Supreme by Patou, which has a lovely lavander in it.

Hope the day remains lovely and peaceful for all
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

I'm sharing the house with Mike, wearing Amouage Dia for Women. It's simply wondserful. I see a purchase coming up there... or regarding the price perhaps I should rather say "I fear a purchase coming up".

Many hugs to all of you and a warm wellcome to Pola!

I am trying to figure out which scent I can wear to a dinner party this afternoon that is being hosted by someone who is allergic to just about everything. I am most likely going scentless, just to be sure. But if I change my mind, I will be wearing just a drop of AL China Pearl.

Welcome to Pola N!:wave:

Take care, all.

Chamade EDT (Guerlain)

wore Dior Homme to bed last night and put it on again in the morning.

Happy Sunday.

Scent twins with Tdem 1961 today - wearing Chanel 22. Creamy soap and incense!
    Love it.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Cuir de Lancome for me.

It's raining here and the leaves have started to turn.

A nice hot shower midday had me ready for something new....doused with Mitsouko EdT, and seriously considering a dab or two of my precious pure parfum before my guests come for dinner....
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Blog Entries

Hi all!

Today's SOTD has been my first test of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Nice, smooth non-medicinal vetiver with some lemon giving it a nice freshness and some leather giving it just enough dirt. This would be completely wearable even for younger people who don't generally like vetiver.

Of course, everything this does has been done before. What this seems to bring to the table is the "fresh" factor.

I'll stick with my dirtier Le Labo Vetiver, but I'd heartily recommend this to people who like Guerlain's Vetiver but think it's a bit too strong and heavy.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Welcome, Pola N.! And sending sympathy to you and your family, SunnyFunny.

I'm home all day, so decided to do some serious sampling. For the morning, it's been two rather controversial fragrances. Each seems to evoke strong reactions one way or the other.

On the left wrist/hand is Vero Profumo Onda. On me, this started as a rather in-your-face, high-quality leather (I'm starting to realize that leather is just not my thing, unless it's a very gentle one as in L'Oiseau de Nuit , Osmanthe Yunnan, and Chergui). Later, Onda is still "not my thing", but a gorgeous vetiver comes out and shines on my skin. If only I could have THAT vetiver without the leather! Oh well.

On my right wrist/hand is Perfumerie Generale's Bois Blond. The reviews for this one are interesting. Some folks get dried fish (!) and some get gorgeous hay. I'm liking it a lot. No dried fish for me! It was perhaps a tiny bit too sweet on me at first, but now I'm getting a beautiful natural-smelling cedar and dried grass, along with with what I think is a quiet tobacco leaf. It's quite beautiful! Bois Blond is supposed to have galbanum, too, which doesn't shine out for me. Perhaps it's part of what makes it smell fresh and natural. I nominate this as the perfect fragrance for a beautiful Indian summer day!

True Religion

Notes: Bergamot, Mandarin, Violet Leaves, Granny Smith Apple, Red Currant, Freesia, Pear Tree Blossom, Amaryllis, Purple Plum, Hinoki Wood, Ambrette Musk, Blond Cedar Wood (from Sephora.com)

True Religion starts very bright and cheerful, with a splash of blended citruses, juicy, fruity apple and peach or nectarine, and a watery aquatic note. The citrus (bergamot, orange) fades rather quickly, leaving a banal peach-water with aspirations for an inexpensive scented shower gel or hair care product. Something about TR seems familiar--perhaps it is the peachy note which seems to show up in quite a few "fresh floral" fragrances for women (the new Zen limited release in the white cube comes to mind). After the initial fizzy citrus blast, the development is monotonous and flat. The base is a clean soapy musk accord and a huge dollop of IsoESuper. Add this to the list of mediocre "fresh" smelling scents that could have been a shampoo.

Michael Kors Very Hollywood

Notes: Mandarin, Gardenia, Vetiver (from sephora.com)

Straight out of the spray vial, Very Hollywood is a choke-inducing raspberry-lipstick-aquatic-fruity-floral. Imagine the worst aspects of iris, the "inside of a makeup bag" waxy, bitter, powdery notes combined with artificial fruit-flavored candy, "fresh" ozone accord, a plastic tuberose flower arrangement from your grandparent's basement recreation room, and some summer fruit notes such as watermelon and peach. Although it smells like yet another bathroom air freshener spray made into a personal fragrance, at least VH captured my imagination with its entertaining retro sensibility. The big-haired starlet used in the advertising campaign and trashy pink bottle fit this fragrance perfectly.

Guerlain Attrape Coeur

Notes: rose, violet, iris, vanilla, woods, amber (from perfumeshrine.com)

Attrape Coeur starts as a dark and rich, slightly dirty floral with clove, liquored rose, powdery iris, vanilla and sweet amber as the main notes. Development is extremely slow and graceful on skin, and the indoles are the first things to soften as AC moves to a lush, creamy, boozy, spicy rose bouquet in the heart notes. In the late middle stage, there is some artificial bitterness that seems inappropriate to the composition--I have noticed this mostly in mainstream floral-orientals (Rochas Tocade is an example). In AC, it does not detract very much from my enjoyment, though I think this would have been an almost perfect fragrance if not for the bitter note. The drydown is absolutely gorgeous, and is a vaguely spicy, floral, vanilla feminine "guerlinade" of typically high calibre.

I agree with comments I have seen that compare AC with Chanel 31 Rue Cambon. However, AC is much dirtier, less iris-pronounced, and the sour fruit note present in 31RC is better tempered in AC. I find both fragrances beautiful, but Attrape Coeur behaves much better on my skin. AC falls squarely onto the line between floral and oriental, a genre that I love for its complexity. In that sense, AC does not disappoint, and yet, despite having a seemingly unfathomable depth bordering on melancholy, Attrape Coeur is as quiet, lighthearted and unassuming as the Mona Lisa's smile in DaVinci's famous painting.

Shalimar... I have a cold (but can still smell things, yay!) and it's so warm and cozy. I didn't like it at first but now I'm really into it... I'm considering a decant of the EdP.

Pinkfizzy - Shalimar is one of the few scents I enjoy when I have a cold. Welcome!

Showered and now wearing Yves Rochas Rose Absolue. (Thanks BlackCat).
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

White Linen. OMG I love this one!

Soft, sunny Sunday here.

Welcome Pola N. :wave:
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Alchemy de Rochas

I am wearing Equipage.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

This afternoon- it's Youth Dew extrait.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Welcome Pola, and a late welcome to Fleurry!

Thanks for the warning on Very Hollywood. I have a sample and have been scared to test it, especially because I smelled it in a magazine strip.

Today I am wearing Safari, from an old bottle circa 1990.
    Evenstar

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Back from a 950 mile 4 day round trip by car. My 2009 Prius Touring model clocked a reasonable 45.9 mpg at a highway average of 70+ miles per hour.

This AM I was swathed in Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge as I rolled through the miles, A/C blowing cool and CD's of Mozart, Chopin and Rachmaninoff wonderfully filling the automobile interior for most of my return trip.

Tonight I am in Czech & Speake Cuba. Both AM and PM frags complementary samples from the manufacturer.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Welcome to Pola.N and Pinkfizzy! :wave:

I'm wearing Pure White Linen this evening.

kbe, it must feel good to be back home.

Have a good night, all!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 20th September 2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: (sigh!)

Hello all

Pinkfizzy, Shalimar has always been my comfort scent, along with Youth-Dew, since i have been a child. If i start to feel under the weather it just makes me feel cozy and better. Enjoy.

Tonight i am going to put on a bit of Prowl by Neil Morris, i try to use my sample with restraint but it is so intoxicating.

Big hugs for all on this lovely evening
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Oooooooo....just found my samples of Lone Star Memories....(kisskisskiss to LeeSee....) gonna go to bed by campfire!! (Still can't get my SOD to work. Daaaaayyum.)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

Still enjoying my one & only application of Maharadjah from this morning. The drydown is gorgeous! Definitely a keeper. The sandalwood is more pronounced now & there's no trace of the inital lavender.

Big basenotes welcome to Pola.N and Pinkfizzy. A belated but heartfelt welcome to Fleurry, as well.

Have a wonderfully fragrant evening.

Coco Mademoiselle for me today and my SOTE is Shalimar EDT.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Oops! I forgot to welcome Pinkfizzy. Sorry about that. I hope you have fun here!
    Evenstar

Wall Street by Bond No.9
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Oops! I forgot to welcome Pinkfizzy. Sorry about that. I hope you have fun here!
    I don't think I've welcomed her yet, either! Welcome to BN, Pinkfizzy!

I have showered and reapplied Bois Blond for my SotD. I think I'm going to have to buy a bottle. Parfumerie Generale, I love you!

Welcome to Pola and Pinkfizzy!

Sakecat - I'm sorry that you had to spend a Sunday on something as rotten as a grievance. I hope things move in your favor and that you don't have to spend too much time (and energy) on it. I, too, grow very weary of the "toxic people" at work...

Lucky for us that we have our BN ohana.

Tonight, trying AG Eau de Camille from a decant from a wonderful BN/MUA friend (T, where are you?)

Very pretty...more like "spring" than "September", but that's ok.

Hope you all have a fabulous week...

Acqua di Parma Colonia