Code of Conduct

Default List of reformulated classics

Hey,
    I am becoming rather paranoid lately. I am always afraid, that what I just bought is not the original formula praised here on basenotes, but rather a watered-down re-formulation...
    Just recently I bought John Vervatos, Zino Davidoff, Bvlgari Black and M7 over fragrance.net.

Now I first right in a thread on basenotes today, that M7 is reformulated to a softer Version and has a new bottle, than I read that Bvlargi Black is ALSO re-formulated to a more sweeter version... I am fucking pissed. This hobby is really exciting, unique and rewarding for me, but these re-formulations of popular, high-quality fragrances to cheaper version are so frustrating, that I can almost not enjoy it. Everytime I order something I first have to duoble check if its still the original and than in case find the original formula... soo annoying.

Is there somewhere a list of all the reformulations of classic mainstream fragrances, right now I dont care so much about Niche. I am still waiting to add classics like Habit Rouge, Kouros and Rive Gauche to my collection,because I also read somewhere they are watered-down.

So my next request is: Is there some actual shop (I hate ebay), that is a reliable source to buy the vintage versions of the really important fragrances?

Dependent

Default Re: List of reformulated classics

You can try xmen's sales thread.

AromiErotici

Yea....I would pm xmen and if he doesn't have listed what you are looking for, he may be able to get it for you.

I always make it a rule to seek out vintage whenever possible. There are some vendors on eBay that are reliable. You just have to do your homework and ask questions of every vendor.

My question is where can I find out which fragrances are re-formulated in the first place. Is there a site or list, with an overview over all the reformulation on the market? I am just paranoid about buying a reformulation without even knowing, that this fragrance, which may have raving reviews for the ORIGINAL formula on Basenotes was actually reformulated and I have the new version without knowing it.

AromiErotici

I approach this differently, by limiting myself to fragrances that are worth wearing in the current formulations, especially when I buy online.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE

I suggest reading the reviews in the fragrance directory. Most major reformulations are mentioned in reviews.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    I suggest reading the reviews in the fragrance directory. Most major reformulations are mentioned in reviews.
    I can think of some biggies that aren't

And it seems like they are occurring faster that I can keep up with. Like ALL THE CHANELS... HERMES...I wonder about an area on basenotes delegated to discussing re-formulations (for those of us who'd like to buy the classics as we know/remember them), in which we can list the various reformulations and discuss their specific merits/ and or failings...

Just a thought...
    Last edited by Hillaire; 20th September 2009 at 11:03 PM.