Code of Conduct

Thumbs up S O T D Monday 21 September 2009

Great Monday to all

Gilles Romey's

ROCABAR

HERMÉS

Rocabar has top notes of juniper berries, cedar leaves and lavender-nut and nutmeg-cinnamon accords. The heart has notes of cyprus from Italy and two types of cedars. Base notes are Canadian fir trees and vanilla pods.
    Wonderful scent !!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Default Re: S O T D Monday 21 September 2009

Feeling very girly in MJ Blush.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Kouros (YSL)

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Creed Green Irish Tweed.

Top notes are iris and lemon verbena
    Middle notes are violet, vetiver and basil
    Base notes are amber and vanilla and cedar

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hah!! Found a nearly empty bottle of Cinnabar deep down in my cabinet. Powerful, to say the least.

Hugs all around!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Good morning all.Another grey day here. Seeking comfort in L'heure bleue edp.The perfect scent if I need to feel good about myself.

Basenotes Plus

A Travers le Miroir by Thierry Mugler. This is my first time testing (it was a blind buy) and its coming across as a menthol tuberose with a lot of anise. Not so sure about this, it may end up on the swap/sale board sometime soon. More testing required!!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

What a great weekend which started by sharing Rosh Hashanah with ComDiva and her family. We had a wonderful evening.
    Saturday was groom the Wild Poodles of Somerville day. Neither poodle likes this activity very much and so it is a struggle to get through it for everyone involved. At the end we have clean sweet smelling poodles for at least a few days. Went wandering the local mall and got to try the new Narciso Rodriguez Musk for Men parfum oil. This is really good stuff and it is something I'm going to have to go try again.
    Sunday a friend came up who is trying to learn more about fragrances and I took her over to Copley and we went through the latest releases. Once again, I think I'm the only one that thinks the new Natori is awful as my friend and her daughter both loved it. I have to also say for a fruity floral Marc Jacobs Lola is not bad especially when you're trying the other new releases like Michael Kors Very Hollywood.
    A weekend where I was sniffing one place or another is a good weekend.

There is an ever increasing chill in the air but I'm going to try and keep summer going on my skin.

Carthusia Caprissimo

Carthusia makes two of my favorite scents in Carthusia Uomo and Numero Uno. Numero Uno is one of the better chypres out there, on me. I was very excited when I read Carthusia was re-issuing Caprissimo which was reportedly a former gem of a green chypre. I haven't been able to confirm whether this re-issue has any resemblance to the original but I do know that I like this version quite a bit. The top starts with a Mediterranean lemon accord mixed with green aspects. This is an opening that is bright and very common. For all of that familiarity I find it is one I like quite a bit. The heart of Carpissimo is a deep floral mix of jasmine, frangipani, and osmanthus. The green notes from the top stay in place to keep the floral heart from becoming too much the focus of Caprissimo. These three floral notes feel like they are made for each other as they create a heady floral bouquet. The base is a beautiful mix of cedar, sandalwood and myrrh. This mix of woods and myrrh make for a strong base that contrasts the green floral of the heart. Caprissimo feels like another take on a chypre without the oakmoss and the use of the myrrh works for me in that regard. If the original Caprissimo was indeed a green chypre it is my guess that this new incarnation is an attempt to stay true to that original while working within the new formulation guidelines. Caprissimo has average longevity on me and average sillage. Caprissimo is another winner for me from Carthusia.

Have a Masterful Monday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Safran Troublant for me today
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I'm wearing last night's SotE again today, since it smelled so good to me overnight as I slept, Estee Lauder's Pure White Linen.

Roberto's SotD photo is gorgeous, as usual! It makes me want to run out and find some Rocabar to sniff.

Have a good Monday everybody!

Happily in my Boudoir today

Have a great day everyone!

Hi, everyone!

I'm still flying high from a truly lovely start to the Jewish New Year, which kicked off with SMM and his DW joining us for dinner, and SMM's sneaky surprise of replenishing my AWOL Bois d'Armenie!!!! (How does one lose an entire bottle, especially one as big as B'A? I've been asking myself that for the last year plus as I dug under the bed and through shelves...) Have been reveling in having this favorite of mine back in my collection all weekend...

Today's SoTD is a continuation of my (latest) incense kick: L'Artisan's L'eau du Navigateur. On me, this one gets off to a slightly harsh start, making me think it wasn't going to work despite having many of my very favorite notes in it. Then, what I think of as the classic JC Ellena smoothness kicks in, and now I'm doing the Basenotes salute (wrist-to-nose, elbow down and forward, fyi) with embarrassing frequency. Dark, rich and intriguing. What I would call a masculine-trending unisex fragrance, and a winner.

L’eau du Navigateur Notes: Bergamot, galbanum, coffee liquor, cinnamon, cedar, incense, opoponax, leather.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 21st September 2009 at 12:39 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I am in Endymion today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I agree with Lilybelle- Roberto's photo and lush description makes me want to sniff Rocabar too!

Another stunning fall day, warm & bright and the colours are just starting.....Guerlain Apres l'Ondee and it's magical notes are perfect today.

Notes: anise, cassia note, violet, carnation, heliotrope, iris, vanilla

beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Comdiva: Happy New Year! I too love Bois d'Armenie and cannot imagine winter without it.

I am at work, with migraine, nausea, the works. My plan to wear Chergui today was scrapped in favor of the softer Dans Tes Bras.

Basenotes Plus

A beautiful array of frags here, as usual! Roberto, you're smelling especially fabulous today.
    ComDiva, a Sweet New Year to you and all who celebrate!
    Therese, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you're better soon.

Sotd is Caron Montaigne

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Morning all

Spent the last week cleaning out our to-be-renovated barn. Filled one HUGE industrial dumpster with another to be delivered Friday. Hopefully will not get hanta virus by the time we're done! Got rid of many old appliances that people dumped off before my husband bought the property. One disadvantage to living out in the boonies!

Wearing the wonderfully luxurious Party in Manhattan today.

Behind (again) on posting!!!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Happy New Year to all who are celebrating.
    It's a bit gray out here today, but still warm though.

I too, am a fan of Bois D'Armenie.
    Snugglin' down with Bois des Iles today.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Blog Entries

Smile Re: S O T D Monday 21 September 2009

Bonjour mon amis! Mon fragrance de jour es

10 Corso Como.

Twinning with ineespenes in L'HEURE BLEUE EDP

Basenotes Institution

ComDiva,Brielle, Chaya and everyone else celebrating - Happy New Year. *HUGS*

Good morning everyone, this morning it's Penhaligon's Bluebell.
    SMM - I agree Lola is not so bad.....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Sorry, I'm becoming a bit of an infrequent flyer here. Life is just so busy at the mo. Nothing dreaful happening, just lots of stuff, you know?
    But I still do mentally take not of my SOTD each day, even if I don't get around to posting it.
    Today I started off in Chanel No22 edt. By jingo that's good stuff! Today the weather is quite warm so I get a lot of sweetness from it. Usually I say 'it smells like snow makes me feel' - your basic primordial joy. Good juice.

Now I'm about to go hit the supermarket I"ve topped up with some Opium. But to be kind to the other shoppers (and myself - it's HOT today! 27C!) I've gone for the lovely summer ltd ed - Opium Fleur Imperiale. I love this stuff. Because I love Opium, this is great because it opens the same, but the big diva has been on a diet and doesn't stomp around the room shouting at everyone now. Somehow they have made it smell 'the same but quieter'. No idea how those clever chaps do it, but I do love them for their remarkable abilities.

I'm reading Chandler Burr's Perfect Scent - the one where he follows SJP and Ellena as they each create a scent. It's fascinating. Such interesting insights into the industry.

So I'm off to hang out the laundry before I take Small to buy groceries and some more wool to finish the shawl thing I'm knitting. (Damson by Ysolde Teague for any fellow knitters on the board.) Small is doing better in school, bless her little heart, and seems to be making some friends. The bribery is still working and every day she comes out and says 'I was good! Can I have Smarties now?'

Hugs and Smarties to all and Happy New Year to you too.
    xxxxxx
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    So I'm off to hang out the laundry before I take Small to buy groceries and some more wool to finish the shawl thing I'm knitting. (Damson by Ysolde Teague for any fellow knitters on the board.)
    I was intrigued by this, as a fellow knitter with the alter ego screen name of "Runraglan" - not a patch on "Knit_at_Nite", mind! I found a picture of your shawl on Flickr, not having heard of Ysolde Teague before. The last major garment I made was a Debbie Bliss jacket, which went to a friend (like most of my output) on account of my dodgy tension. Am currently knitting a hedgehog for Soir, though I don't think she believes it.

Anyway, SOTD is Bvlgari Black, with a dab of CK Truth on the side.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Uomo? Moschino

I woke up with hints of that lovely Mitsouko extrait still clinging to my jammies....so wonderful. I then started off with Sous le Vent, but comme le vent, it has faded almost to nothing, so I'll be finding something new for the afternoon...
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

L'Air du desert Marocain

Musk Ravageur

Thumbs up Re: S O T D Monday 21 September 2009

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    A beautiful array of frags here, as usual! Roberto, you're smelling especially fabulous today.
    ComDiva, a Sweet New Year to you and all who celebrate!
    Therese, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you're better soon.

Sotd is Caron Montaigne

Take care, everyone!
    Thanks, also you wearing that fabulous CARON MONTAIGNE !!!!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Institution

Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL

First day back in front of the classroom after an all-too-short summer break. Many of the scents I would normally wear for the first day of teaching are just not going to work on this warm, sunny morning, so I am leaning toward another day in AL China Pearl.

Happy New Year to all who are celebrating, and Happy Monday to all!

Therese, I hope you feel better very soon!

I'm rather excited about my SotD, Royal Palm by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan.

This fragrance was created by Saint-Aignan to be the signature fragrance for the famous Royal Palm hotel in Mauritius. It is really lovely on me, from the slightly sweet grapefruit at the beginning to the gentle spice & woods drydown. I think it's perfect for summer and early fall. I haven't had it on long enough to report on longevity, but it is on the light side for sure. Here are the notes (from Luckyscent): Grapefruit, jasmine, iris, cardamom, cinnamon, pink pepper, black pepper, clove, vetiver, cedar wood, leather and incense.

Happy Jewish New Year!

I am wearing Bal a Versailles, as it was the bottle more close to me, while I was sitting with ice on my ankle...( I managed to strain it, getting out of my car, today. )

Bal a Versailles was my favourite perfume once, but I am not enjoying it lately.

Blog Entries

Today I am wearing for the first time Ava Luxe Neroli Blossom EdP (thanks, Lilybelle!). This is just gorgeous!

My SOTD is Chanel No 5 eau Premiere, but I also have a test spot of FM Musc Ravageur on my wrist. It's coming off as hardcore manly on me, may try it out on the hubs.
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

I felt like something new today, so I transferred my Guerlain L'Instant samp (thanks, Misscasey! )from vial to atomizer and decanted a third of it all over my hand. It reminds me a bit of Chanel Allure Sensuelle right off.

Happy New Year and a great day to all! Enjoy the fresh start.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 21st September 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Alien today

So miserable & muggy today, I went light with LP's Beachy.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Happy Monday dear BNers! Hope you have a great start to the week...

Wordie - glad to hear that Small is adjusting to kindergarten. My little girl now RUNS to her kindergarten class in the morning, so full of anticipation! Gave her a kiss and then she started her day in school...

As we walked to the car, a light mist started to fall, and the sun broke through....the golden light of late morning bounces off the tiny droplets of water...and all is good...

:brolly:

Starting the week with a favorite --- FM L'Eau d'Hiver

Our LAN card refused to work yesterday so I was not able to spend any time on www.

Finally off work today, finally got this state's ID card, finally went to buy groceries and -- do I need to repeat myself? -- finally got my picture taken for a passport -- hopefully will be traveling this coming spring. All in L'Or de Torrente.

It has cooled down about 20 degrees here and is raining. Who could ask for anything more?

Brielle, how did the inspection go?

Tang, may I say "Congratulations!" or is it too early yet?

Blind Sniff folks, start a September thread already, we are all waiting. Please?

Happy New Year for those who celebrate today.

Stumbled across a sample of LAP Patchouli Patch...it's following me around. :bounce:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Happy New Year to those celebrating!

Inspired by the Musc Ravageur thread, I'm wearing Creed Tuberose Indiana today (after checking to see whether I should be wearing scent #1 for the 3x3). I'm starting to warm up to this note. We're having a beautiful end of summer day here-- 75º, but rising. I'm appreciating TI more and more. Tastes really do change.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

A crisp September afternoon, with brilliant blue skies and just the start of red on the trees....the grass smells sweet, the pines are soft and straw-like, and our Monarch chrysalis looks like a gold-trimmed jade pendant in its little cage.....

Chanel No19 makes the perfect afternoon scent.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Basenotes Institution

This afternoon I'm in the mood for abit of Opium EDT ,not the extrait. Sometimes all you need is abit of Opium EDT ......
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

SotD: 06130 Lentisque, SotE: Amouage Jubilations 25

Yay for Small making friends! Wordie, this is presumptuous little me saying "I told you so!".

I'm off to bed. See you all tomorrow!

Feeling optimistic on an overcast summer's day... wearing Polo Sport
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I'm wearing Cuir de Lancome again today. It goes with the weather and the season.

sotd Amen Pure Coffee

sote African Queen Black Panther !! (My new goodies have arrived from Italy :bounce: )

Love by By Kilian... I bought it for my birthday. Well, that's the reason I used to justify paying the high price

Aveda Patchouli for me today. Couldn't take any alcohol laced frags after my good scrubbin.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Blog Entries

Hi all!

Today's SOTD was my first test of Serge Lutens Santal De Mysore.

Butter.

Butter cascading smoothly over lightly herbal amber and a pinch of citrus, grounded with cinnamon. As the day wore on and the butter faded, there was a beautiful moment combining cedar, the residual amber, the sandalwood peeking through, and the cinnamon (with a pinch of butter remaining) that was deeply enchanting. The base was the sandalwood of the name, but quite weak after the seriously strong butter-fest in first few hours.

The middle was transcendent and the base was nice, but I'm just not sold on the top. But I can easily see how this could be grail material for some.

Oh, and my SOTE has been Creed Original Vetiver.

Typical bright Creed citrus, heavy on the neroli, paired with just a pinch of green grassy vetiver.
    Last edited by rogalal; 22nd September 2009 at 05:59 AM.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

L'Instant Magic
    Evenstar

BN went down before I could post yesterday...SotD was EL Bronze Goddess and SotE was Vol de Nuit extrait.