Code of Conduct

Default Soft vanilla scents

I am still unsure what actually happened (it's all a blur) but I now have about 10 perfumes all of which are citrusy/fruity floral. I would like a soft vanilla scent but I am afraid of smelling like a teenager with overly sweet cloying perfume.

Can you recommend a soft vanilla that isn't too simple nor complicated with decent longevity but "shy" in terms of sillage? I hate strong or too gourmand scents (I hate Angel) and would like a subtle scent. I would prefer a designer perfume I can get in a department store rather than a niche scent. I think I liked Hypnotic Poison but it is still a little too sweet?

Thoughts?

Default Re: Soft vanilla scents

The scent-with-vanilla that I have my mind on today is niche, but I figure no harm in posting: Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere.

Not cloyingly sweet; not a teenager's scent. Lots of wood to cut down on the gourmand factor. None of that "plasticy" scent that's so often part of vanilla scents. You'll see coconut in the listed notes but at least on me, it's not actually recognizable as such.

Samples and bottles available from LuckyScent. I'm struggling at this very moment to keep myself from ordering a full bottle based on one wearing.

Edited to add: Forgot to comment on sillage and longevity. My 1ml sample was too small to evaluate either with confidence, but it did seem fairly "shy" on sillage.

Crayfish
    Last edited by Crayfish; 21st September 2009 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Dior Addict? It can be overwhelming at first, but the drydown is so beautiful. A little chocolatey, musky, smoky and I smell rose as well. Sillage is okay when used very sparingly and lasting power is incredible.

I also like SL Un Bois Vanille. Fairly linear, but still interesting. It smells like proper vanilla pods, not too cloying or sweet but spicy and very woody. The sillage is shy on me, but it doesn't last as long as the other SLs.
    Last edited by Cors; 21st September 2009 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's still available, but Kohl's has carried a perfume called World of Your Own, by Grassroots, which is an Estee Lauder company. It has ginger, vanilla, ylang-ylang, and amber. I heard that the Grassroots line was going to be discontinued, but if you find World of Your Own at a Kohl's store, give it a sniff.

Also, Yves Saint Laurent's Cinema... which has fruit, floral, and vanilla notes. Balenciaga's Cristobal is another possibility, if you can find it.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Tokyomilk Dead Sexy #6
    Christiane Calypso Celle Vanille
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if you have access to a Sephora, they have the LaVanila line, which has different variations on vanilla: vanilla lavender, vanilla coconut, vanilla spice (nutmeg, cardamom, Madagascar vanilla), etc.

Other vanillas that I've owned: Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille, L'Aromarine Vanille, Vaniglia del Madagascar by i Profumi di Firenze.

Pacifica offers Vanilla Vera Cruz for $22, with notes of vanilla bourbon, vanilla bean, and orchid.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I second Tang's suggestion of the LaVanila line - my fave is the Original Vanilla scent .
    Also Vaniglia del Madagascar by i Profumi di Firenze is fabulous.
    Love's True Bluish Light from Ava Luxe available from www.etsy.com - search under Ava Perfumes for it. It's wonderful and affordable in perfume oil .
    Dulcis In Fundo by Profumum is fantastic though expensive and also niche- I had to bring it up.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a few Vanilla related scents, and there's really quite a broad spectrum of how it can be done. Something like Givenchy Pi has a powdery, almost metalic "vanilla" related type scent. L'Occitane's Eau de Bavx is fresh and has a backbone of incense and spice, with a wiff of vanilla in it. probably one of the more natural vanilla's is Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille, but I find it a bit boozy, quite heavy and cloying, and rather expensive, not to mention not easy to find at department stores. My rec is to check Pi, should be easy to find and it's pretty cheap. Almost worth buying just for the cool bottle...

There are some others i've tried or heard about like Tom Ford's Vanilla Tobacco, Jo Malone's Vanilla Anise, etc. the TF has excellent longevity and sillage, a little heavy though and somewhat expensive. Worth at least smelling. It's quite linear, so what you smell at first is what you'll probably get even 10-15 hours later.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 21st September 2009 at 08:49 PM.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I forgot about the Vanille & Anise from Jo Malone. It's actually quite good- soft .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you smelled Shalimar (the Eau de Cologne formula) or Shalimar Eau Legere / Light by Guerlain ? If not, please try either of these.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée

+1 for Love's True Bluish Light. Make it +Eleventy Billion. I can't stand gourmandy sweet stuff, but find LTBL a nice cozy comfort scent. It's the only vanilla I can love at this point.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Hillaire

Here's an odd one, that is very lovely and sophisticated. A more gentile, complex, and reserved cousin of Hypnotic Poison:

'S' de Scherrer.

can be bought very reasonably online, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Try PDN new vanilla

Comptoir Sud Pacifique has loads of vanilla scents, good for a whole week's sampling
    I own 1 CSP frag (Bois de Filao, not exactly one from their vanilla line, it's more of a sweet wood) but I love its longevity (2 sprays will last the whole day, even through 2-3 cigs hehe).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light - this is very soft and while sweet I don't find it cloying. It also stays close to the skin.

If you like perfume oils Wiggle (on etsy) make one called speakeasy vanilla which is beautiful and, again, stays pretty close to the skin.

I also love Dior's Hypnotic Poison which has a lovely vanilla base but isn't too food-y, however the sillage on this is a touch stronger.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you shd play around with position and dose. A light application of Gucci Rush might surprise you... Try a little spray at the back of the knees.

I remember loving Rush when it first came out but was a little scared of it. Seriously, personality wise, I would wear many perfumes but my patients would hate it so I'm stuck with "shy" scents. I am tempted by Love's True Bluish Light - despite its name. And Shalimar. Thanks all.