Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SOTD: Tuesday 22nd September 2009

Good morning all!

Well, I have officially Done A Silly Thing this morning.
    On rising, I spotted an infrequently-worn gem in my collection: Chanel Cuir de Russie in extrait. (Extrait! We are talking seriously good stuff here and in its purest form!) So, having a theory that leathers might be the perfect scents for autumn, I dabbed a minuscule amount on my cleavage and arms. This is fabulously good stuff, and just those tiny drops have filled the air around me with the scent of discreet luxury (with a tiny smidgeon of filth, which I like).

I have taken Small to Kindergarten, made my morning coffee, been down to the cellar to put away the chutnies I've made recently and... I really want to have a shower. But I don't feel able to wash the Cuir de Russie off!!!! Gah! So you see, that's the silly thing I did. Put on glorious perfume before having a shower.

And do you know what? I'm just going to stay stinky for another hour or two and enjoy it!

Have a lovely day, all.
    xxx
    Last edited by Wordbird; 22nd September 2009 at 06:37 AM. Reason: curse of SOTD
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: SOTD: Tuesday 22nd September 2009

Yay for The Stinky.
    I have managed to wheedle an itty bitty amount of Nasomatto Absinth from a reluctant shop owner (and sole importer of the stuff in these parts), so I think I'll be giving that my fullest attention today. After my shower, that is.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Tuesday 22nd September 2009

Nice Tuesday all

Nathalie Lorson's

ENCRE NOIRE

LALIQUE

ENCRE NOIRE is a dark, tenebrous and dirty blend of vetivers .…but at the same time transparent, gentle and marvelous !!!
    A real gem , a work of art created by Notre Dame Nathalie Lorson for all of us !!!
    I would dare to say that ENCRE NOIRE is my favourite vetiver !
    Merci beaucoup Madame Lorson for having created this wonderful perfume !!!!!
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Idylle by Guerlain!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Scent twins with Roberto.
    Encre Noire is my favorite vetiver too. (anotheone that I like is CdG Vettiveru)

The heart of Encre Noire is to die for, just a hint of sweetness mingle with the dry-bitterness of crushed green leaves and some white sawdust.

Kouros (YSL)

Sur la Plage

My SOTD is Lalique Encre Noir - in honor of Scent Synchronization Day Fall/Spring 2009.

Top notes: Cypress, Vetiver Fraction
    Middle notes: Bourbon Vetiver, Haitian Vetiver
    Base notes: Musk, Cashmeran

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

L'HEURE BLEUE EdP

Ok, I follow petruccijc, Jasper and ROBERTO with the gorgeous Encre Noire
    I have a cold, and can't smell much
    My blog about perfume
    (Norwegian language)

Good morning, all !
    L'Shanah Tovah...may you ALL be inscribed in the Book of Life for a Sweet, Peaceful, Healthy New Year ;-)

I could NOT access BN ALL DAY yesterday...PFUI ! [ Not even on Firefox !] ...

Therese, honey, I migraine w/ thee.
    FEH.

So happy that CD and SMM, en famille, enjoyed their time together; what a wonderful gift, SMM.
    Bless you, for spoiling our girl ;-)

Yesterday was madness, but the last 4 have been nonstop crazy. No hyperbole needed.
    SOTD was Jub 25 Women- thank the lord.

Today will be warm- so Jour Ensoleille will do it, bitter yet brilliantly indolic effervescent chypre of Laurie's.

Please, be so good as to check out yesterday's love fest on Bitter Grace Notes :

http://bittergracenotes.blogspot.com...ore-peace.html

Roxana Villa invited us to participate in a global effort on behalf of International Peace
    Day [ yesterday]...
    Many other folk contributed, gloriously:

Indieperfumes
    Perfume-Smellin' Things
    Perfume Shrine
    The Non-Blonde
    Scent Hive
    Memory and Desire
    The Cleveland Examiner
    The Portland Examiner

From our lips to the Divine's Ear ;-)

Love to all of you-
    And healing to all.
    MWAH.

Good morning everybody.Today will probably be all about houseduties and maybe some studying afterwards.Today I'm in Madame X ...perfume oil.a littlebit messy to apply,but I smell gorgeous! I might have put on a bit too much,though Hope you all have a nice day!

Cooler here, in Caron Infini. Have a nice day!

I just spritzed on some Encre Noir this morning (thanks, petruccijc!) for the Scent Synchronization Day. Mmmm....this is nice! I saved the sample without any pre-sniffing just for today. At first I get cedar sawdust and some rosemary stems (?). It gets softer and sweeter as it dries down, and it has a live branchy smell, like twigs snapped in the woods. I can easily wear this, it isn't deliberately butch smelling, just woodsy and lovely. I find these types of scents calming and "grounding". Lovely, lovely, lovely for the First Day of Autumn.

How does one send Autumn Equinox greetings? Not by saying "Happy Autumn Equinox", because it's a bit sad going into the dark time of the year. But exciting, too. Well...

Happy Autumn Equinox! (you know what I mean).

Adding...getting a lot of vetiver saltiness now.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 22nd September 2009 at 12:33 PM.

No Encre Noire here. Haven´t even wanted to try it, don´t like the name. Silly, I know...

I´m on an Estée Lauder kick at the moment, and thought layering White Linen with Cinnabar might be a good idea. IT WAS NOT!
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Woods of Windsor today. Very good so far. Citrus and spice and everything nice.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Congrats to the guys who are spritzing Encre Noir today, for a scent synchronization!

I'd really like to do a House Synchronization Day, and see what exactly trips everyone's trigger! Hows about choosing from these:

Chanel
    Guerlain
    L'Artisan
    Creed
    Patou
    Lutens
    Bond No.9
    Dior

I think any of those have a wide enough offering for lots of satisfied participation...anyone in?

Today (post shower ) I'll be wearing Iris Pallida from L'Artisan.

Definitely go check out chaya's post it is beautifully written and evocative. She needs to write more in her spare 5 minutes a day.

I love SSDs no having to overthink my choice.

Lalique Encre Noire

When many of us start looking around Basenotes one of the first things we discover is the high level of esteem Guerlain Vetiver is held in. For many of us, I am sure, that Guerlain Vetiver is the first vetiver most of us try. From there it becomes a gateway to the number of great vetivers out there. In my estimation Givenchy Vetyver and Guerlain Vetiver were the alpha vetivers, at the beginning, as both came out in the late 50's early 60's. It took until the 21st century for the next evolution to really take place as there are two vetivers that really take those beginnings and move vetiver forward. Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire is one and the other is the 2006 creation by Nathalie Lorson, Lalique Encre Noire. Encre Noire takes vetiver and roughs it up by adding in some woody notes and more particularly a spicy underpinning that makes it a real "Noire" kind of scent. The top of Encre Noire comes in with the sharper edges of vetiver on display and it is balanced with a light wood of cypress and a hint of smokiness. As this develops the vetiver becomes more herbal in nature which adds some greenness to this and here the woods turn softer, in conjunction with the softening of the vetiver. There are also some spicy notes that become more prominent in the heart adding some complementary edginess to the woods and vetiver. The base eschews the woods and brings in a dark sensual musk to pair with the vetiver. This is where I really get the feeling of something happening in the middle of the night and in a good way. Encre Noire has average longevity on me and slightly below average sillage. It wears fairly close to my skin which makes it an ideal going out at night scent for me. If you're a fan of vetiver you have to try Encre Noire. If you're a fan of great perfumery you have to try Encre Noire. This is one of the best perfumes out there.

Have a Titanic Tuesday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    I'd really like to do a House Synchronization Day, and see what exactly trips everyone's trigger! Hows about choosing from these:

Chanel
    Guerlain
    L'Artisan
    Creed
    Patou
    Lutens
    Bond No.9
    Dior
    Ubu I think that is a wonderful idea- we are synchronized with our houses today already

We are back to heat & humidity here- grey & rainy with no chance of a good hair day

Today the beautiful violet rose girly-ness of L'Artisan Drole de Rose is perfect.

Chaya, your posts make my heart feel good.

Cleaning day, busy-busy and looking for fresh and crisp. So, it's Vent Vert (middle formulation) today, and even as we speak I am eyeing some original formula extrait.....

I'm definitely getting in to greens lately....
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Oh, Scent Synchronization Day! D'Oh, I forgot. Still, I feel like I'm participating in spirit, because boy, is Nasomatto Absinth like Encre Noir! Same smoky-nutty vetiver, same sweetness in the heart notes. Why didn't anyone mention the similarity thus far? Or did they, and I missed it?
    Have fun synchronizing yourselves.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Encre Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post

Chanel
    Guerlain
    L'Artisan
    Creed
    Patou
    Lutens
    Bond No.9
    Dior

I think any of those have a wide enough offering for lots of satisfied participation...anyone in?
    I'm in! You could post a poll and select a date. How about Halloween weekend?

Ubu, sounds like fun!

Wordbird: Showers can be overrated!

Chaya: Thanks for your kind words. Migraines have become more infrequent with age, and I have always worked and otherwise carried on with them. Head pain does make me less impatient though.

I am wearing L'Ombre Fauve, a wonderful, animalic patchouli!

[ Ah, Therese...me, too.
    But still goin' strong, today...should be the last day;-)
    LOVE L'Ombre Fauve- very cuddly.]

Dammo- missed SSD !
    Encre Noir is a very lovely specimen; I find it holds its own.
    One can NEVER have too many vetivers ! ;-0

Musse- sniff it out !
    Mo- smooches to you, too ;0
    SMM- thanks, Bud ;0
    Wordie- you NEVER 'honk'...not to fret, tsatskeleh ! MWAH.

No SSD for me unfortunately, so I'm in Chergui instead. Later got to try SL Feminite du Bois. It lost some complexity and lasting power Still wonderful stuff though. Also noticed that we finally have Borneo 1834, however in my excitement about FdB I forgot to try the Borneo!

Oud 27 Le Labo... I feel like a dirty girl

Blog Entries

Smile Re: SOTD: Tuesday 22nd September 2009

Ambre Gris by Balmain.

Basenotes Plus

Wordie, go on witcha bad self!
    Ubu, I'd love to!
    Chaya and Therese, hope you're feeling better.

Sharing the house with Libertine and Paula in Guerlain Iris Ganache

Take care, everyone!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

I totally forgot about SSD on the Men's board, so I'm going to have to wear EN tonight. This morning it was, from my new bottle:

Idylle by Guerlain

I'm not going to say much about this for now. I'm going to keep quiet about this until I've worn it a couple times.

Basenotes Institution

Wordbird- I know how you feel- I have done that many times- so sad to shower off good perfume !
    Well this morning ,it's Opium EDT again . I'm going to the dreaded dentist today - about my wisdom tooth ....help. I will have to wear something else instead of Opium or I'll have the dentist all groggy and drugged up ! I am a real coward about teeth .

Have a good day all !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd September 2009 at 03:36 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Testing Penhaligon's Gardenia today, from a little sample made up for me by the nice ladies at Saks in NYC.

So far, so good. Have to let it develop a bit more. There are some unexpected notes in this.

Edit: looked up the notes pyramid-- I think the unexpected notes are the ylang-ylang and vanilla.

2nd edit: the ylang-ylang is spoiling it for me... too bad...
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 22nd September 2009 at 04:10 PM.

It's wet & cool today, so I am in my beloved Musc Ravageur.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

No Encre Noir in my itty bitty collection... since it's starting to cool off here, I opted for Lucky No 6. Not exactly high brow but a nice, woodsy oriental that hit the spot today.

Ubu - I think the a house synch is a great idea!
    Lena
    "Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form." - Alexander Skarsgård
    Looking to try Les Senteurs Gourmandes Musc Blanc, Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Intense, Chanel Beige and...everything else!

Dior's Diorella

Oh geeze. Didn't know about Scent Sink (yet ANOTHER gorgeous pic dear Roberto!! Ditto Petruccijc!) or would have scrummaged out my sample! Drat.

Had already engirded myself in the glorious...

...for a trip to Wilmington NC to pick up a FREE replacement for my BAHA, which WAS going to cost four big ones and change to be repaired. The gods are smiling!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ubu, I'd participate in a SSD with the choices you offered!

AL Hong Kong Garden for me today. Take care, all.

The weather has turned cool enough to jumpstart my craving for Parfumerie Generale's Aomassai. Mmmm.
    Sniff and let sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I totally forgot about SSD on the Men's board, so I'm going to have to wear EN tonight.
    Me, too! I know I have a sample vial of Encre Noir somewhere...

Today for me, another one of my long-time favorites: Profumum Fiore d'Ambra. Mmmmmmmm... sweet vanilla-y amber and opoponax. What's not to love (except the price tag)? Even then, a worthwhile splurge, in my opinion.

Fiore d'Ambra Notes: Amber gris, opium.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Vent Vert had no staying power for me today, so I've had a healthy lunchtime spritz of Givenchy III. I am clearly huffing the galbanum lately.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Yesterday - Neil Morris Gotham. ( ScentBro! )

It didn't wear so well on me the first time. Now that the weather is turning, this Neil Morris lovely wore much better. The musky incensey woody dry-down is stunning.

Today - Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile de Fleurs. Very gardenia-heavy at the top. Dries down to a spicy, musky floral. Enjoying it more on this wearing than I did the first time when I thought about it.

Of course, my last few business days have been so stressful - I've been wanting to wear challenging sillage monsters. Came real close to pulling out the Opium. Thankfully, I like my new office mate and thought better of it.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Kuumba Made Persian Garden oil, this was so great from the tester and so barely there from the roll on bottle I bought.

Basenotes Institution

Ok, I'm off to the dreaded dentist now and I'm wearing Shalimar because I think the Opium will make the poor dentist pass out !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd September 2009 at 06:10 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Can't participate in the SSD, no EN in the house but for those who have it, enjoy!

I'm wearing a little of Mandy Aftel's Cepes perfume, also known as Tuberose & Cepes. Don't be surprised. If you know me, you know I dont usually care for tuberose but there are a few exceptions. This is one of them. The cepes note gives just the right amount of earthiness, so that the tuberose isn't overly sweet on my skin. Ms. Aftel herself told me I wear it well. I think I do too.

Yesterday was my daughters' 12th birthday. We Skyped with Daddy, sang "Happy Birthday" and blew candles out on her mini cake. It was fun but a little sad, since the big guy's not here in person.

Saturday is her party. (Give me strength). Eight 12-13 year old girls are sleeping over for a spaghetti dinner & beauty treatments. We are making lip glosses & bath salts.

In the meantime, I'm cleaning the house.

Ubu - I also like the idea of a house sync.

Mysticknot - hope the trip to the dentist wasn't too bad.

I hope our friends in the Southeast US are safe after all the flooding...

Big hugs to all...oh! almost forgot to write my

SOTD: Chanel No. 19

Wore TDC Osmanthus today, but after my evening gym and shower, I put on some Encre Noir, just to be synchronized!

Yin Hao by Soivohle.

Real jasmine!

Chanel Coromandel for me today. I have a healthy-sized d*cant of this beauty.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Well, I haven't a sample of Encre Noir, but it sounds like a must-try! As it will be near 100°F. today here, I decided to sample the newest "certified organic" L'Artisan fragrance, Cote d'Amour. Luckyscent notes include green tangerine, pink grapefruit, rosemary, dune immortal flower, cypress, gorse blossom, rose, broom, heather.

The jury is still out. I really want to love this one -- it's a quite pretty aquatic (though the ad copy claims that it's not an aquatic) -- but so far I just like it.

I don't have Encre Noire. I will definitely try it.

Fumerie Turkue, today, from a sample.
    Last edited by *dora*; 22nd September 2009 at 08:26 PM.

I wore Idylle as well.

Blog Entries

Quick post, today. I just stopped in to see if the newest 3x3 Blind Sniff thread had been started. I don't even have time to look for my sample of Encre Noir, so I decided to substitute with big, easy to find bottle of L'Occitane Vetyver instead.

I'll likely be away until tomorrow evening. Have a great day all!
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I HATE, HATE, HATE being out of rhythm with BN. But my slide show programs are pretty much composed as of this afternoon. I just have to send an outline and exam questions to the accrediting garden club chairperson, and I should be able to unhitch the bridle that's kept my brain harnessed to the iMovie program for countless weeks now. Yay! I'm free!

I'm extra unsynchronized, Encre Noire or otherwise. HOWEVER ... swap items came in the mail today: Mitsouko edp decant as expected and a surprise sample of Masaki Mintea--yum! Was wearing my wobbly vintage Mitsouko today already.
    Absolutely HAPPY EQUINOX, Lilybelle and all. It's a beautiful, invigorating time of year.
    A new TV season is here to entertain us like royalty.
    Warm food tastes good again. Long pants feel cuddly.

I could have worn Perles de Lalique as my only Lalique option, but am in fact - through oversight and work related distractions - in Miller Harris Fleurs de Bois.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Today I wore En Avion thanks to one special Mysticknot! Thanks again.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Hiya everyone. The Cowardly Custard is back from the dentist. I had my wisdom tooth extracted ( one of 3 that has to go .... ) -only good thing - I am looking forward to better cheekbones ! *LOL*
    I had enough anaesthesia to drug up three people too . Pulling, scraping ,gouging , sweating dentist ...hmmm, it's over now but I think I am on an enforced diet of soft food or no food today at least.
    Scent of the afternoon is Bluebell !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd September 2009 at 10:54 PM.

Anglia Spiced Limes

Safran Troublant 3rd day in a row
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Therese and W.: Showers and baths ARE overrated!

Mystic Knot: Laughing at Cowardly Custard! Hope you get to fel better. Reward yourself with something Mmmm Good, scent-wise, will ya already?

Tang: thanks for reminding us (on another thread) of YR Neonatura Cocoon, I swoon over it and am wearing it as my SotE.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Czech & Speake Cuba tonight from a manufacturers sample.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Hello all

Chaya love, what a beautiful post. L'Shanah Tovah to you also. Hope your head feels fine soon, you do need a break.

RHM Please extend my sincerest wishes for a Happy joyous birthday to Sofie. I am sure her party will be a blast.

Mystic, I hope you are feeling well tomorrow and avoiding solid foods. I had all of my wisdom teeth out at the same time, i had so much laughing gas, the dentist joked that he could beat me with a hammer and i would still be laughing, to which i replied laughingly "Hammer Time!". Good times for all. Be well

Sorry i could not participate in SSD, no Lalique scent in my wardrobe, although many Nina Ricci's in Lalique bottles. I did start off the day wearing Le de Givenchy the original version.
    Tonight i am wearing Nirmala by Molinard. Both scents are glorious.

Wishing everyone a peaceful night, love and hugs.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source