Code of Conduct

Default Serge suggestions please

I am going to have the opportunity to sniff some Serge Lutens this weekend and I don't want to be overwhelmed again, the way I was the first time. I love florals, cleans scents, sometimes green, and a little spice on occasion. Some suggestions to keep me on track and keep me from olfactory fatigue would be great. Thanks.
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Serge suggestions please

Lara- you lucky person ! I want to come !
    Maybe if you break up your visit - try three and then go have lunch ,return later ?? I end up washing off the tested and returning later to sample more.

Florals - Fleurs de Citronnier, Fleurs d'Oranger, Datura Noir, A La Nuit, Un Lys...
    Clean scent- Clair de Musc
    Spice- Ambre Sultan, Arabie

My fave is Chergui and I love Fleurs de Citronnier .
    PS I found Arabie sticks like glue - best tried last IMHO. It will probably color everything else you try.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th September 2009 at 04:54 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'm assuming you'll be exploring the export line:

Florals: Un Lys ( pure lily ), Sa Majeste La Rose ( green-tinged natural rose ), A La Nuit ( jasmine ), Cedre ( gourmand tuberose ).

Light Spice: Five O'Clock Au Gingembre ( ginger bread ), Serge Noir ( spicy, cedary incense ).

I actually thought Nuit de Cellophane was not a bad scent in the floral tradition. It is also an incredibly easy Serge scent to wear, not too overwhelming as some may be.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I will be at the mercy of what Kuhl-Linscomb in Houston carries, but I've heard good things. I appreciate the suggestions as I will be writing them down and taking them with me. I am learning that when I am overwhelmed by a house it is best to start systematically rather than try to attack the whole line. Big hugs to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I actually thought Nuit de Cellophane was not a bad scent in the floral tradition. It is also an incredibly easy Serge scent to wear, not too overwhelming as some may be.
    I agree and it also happens to be the only one I have. I wore it two days ago and it got on my seatbelt. The next day I was driving home and thinking "Wow...my car smells fabulous!"

Nuit de Cellophone is white floral but very soft. The only way I can smell it after the dry down is by sticking my wrist under my nose. That could be just me.

Cedre is quite heady and medical. So be careful.
    Un Lys
    Fleur de Oranger
    La a Nuit
    AMLR green

Ambre Sultan is a dirty dark amber, not sweet or sugary as the usual ambers out there.

Douce Amere is spicy with a bitter note.
    Arabie is warm and spicy but not in your face.

I love Datura Noir but never get the coconut note everyone speaks about.
    DONNA

When I had the same opportunity as you I chose:
    A la Nuit - wow! No one could miss you in this jasmine-fest.
    Douce Amere - liked it a lot, especially the absinthe note.
    Fille En Aiguilles - well it smells of pine needles. Could be the ideal scent for Xmas day.

Dependent

laral28,

A La Nuit - The best Jasmine scent IMO

Chergui - Just Divine! Honey, hay, tobacco!

Cedre - Basically a Tuberose scent, doesn't get much love here, but one of my faves!

Gris Clair - Smokey cold lavender.

Keep us posted! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Un Lys is my favourite of the line - beautiful lily, vanilla and musk - feminine but with a hint of smoulder.

Also love Chergui - hay, honey, tobacco as noted above - it is soft and cosy and not as "out there" in terms of oddity as many SL scents seem to be.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Oh, and Five O'Clock au Gingembre for a Christmassy, spicy mood.
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 17th September 2009 at 09:43 AM.

If you haven't smelled it yet, Feminite du Bois is my favorite SL frag. I suppose that would fall into a floral/spicy category

A La Nuit
    Feminite du Bois
    Daim Blond

I imagine you'll like Un Lys best and maybe A La Nuit and Douce Amere.

I tend to veer away from the "drowning in spiced honey" and "trapped in a flower that's drowning in spiced honey" ones. I want to like them, but they tire me out.

That leaves:

Serge Noire - black dust. My very favorite, but it has to dry on skin for a minimum of an hour for it to be the scent I love.

Daim Blond - buttery suede and apricot.

Nuit de Cellophane - buttered flowers. Yum, but not very Lutensy.

Un Lys - an OhMyGod knock-you-down floral, but still very, very smooth and without too much honey or spice, so I can enjoy it.

A La Nuit - I would probably like this on the same grounds as UnLys if I hadn't once oversprayed a tester and drowned in it. I'll try again when the memory fades.

Douce Amere - sweet (but with a bit of bitter that makes the sweet OK) and shy but very odd, and one of the few fragrances where I'm willing to forgive some powder. Probably going to be my next Lutens bottle.

Chergui - I go back and forth on this. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's drowning-in-honey.

Santal Blanc - I want to love this, but I dislike cumin. But I like the _smell_ of cumin just fine, I just don't like it in food. So surely I can learn to love this.

Crayfish

Okay now I'm really stumped...they also have Miller Harris. The last time and the only time I got to sample Miller Harris I was overwhelmed too. If you have any suggestions for that house please let me know. I liked a lot of what I sniffed then...this is going to take some time. My husband may just leave me in Houston.

Too many to list, but I think you should start at the basics:

Feminite de Bois: the first SL scent

and

Ambre Sultan: one of the best ambers around

I am not mad on Miller Harris, I must be honest - for me most of the line seems to miss the mark in some way. But my relative favourites would be:

Terre d'Iris
    Fleurs de Bois
    Coeur d'Ete
    Fleurs de Sel (strictly for when feeling like a seaside scent)

I can confirm that L'Air de Rien smelt great on Danielle C, but is pants on me (quite literally).

Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post

Serge Noire - black dust. My very favorite, but it has to dry on skin for a minimum of an hour for it to be the scent I love.

Un Lys - an OhMyGod knock-you-down floral, but still very, very smooth and without too much honey or spice, so I can enjoy it.
    This made me LOL. Serge Noir was like a cinnamon/cedar sucker punch to the face that made me ill (how it could even be worn as a pleasant perfume is beyond me), and Un Lys was a pretty floral to me, not even close to being "Knock-You-Down"

I would suggest Fleurs de Citronnier, Clair de Musc, and Nuits de Cellophane, although you have that one

I am kind of over Uncle Serge and his spicy hot messes
    Last edited by Jane Daly; 18th September 2009 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    This made me LOL. Serge Noir was like a cinnamon/cedar sucker punch to the face that made me ill (how it could even be worn as a pleasant perfume is beyond me), and Un Lys was a pretty floral to me, not even close to being "Knock-You-Down"

I would suggest Fleurs de Citronnier, Clair de Musc, and Nuits de Cellophane, although you have that one

I am kind of over Uncle Serge and his spicy hot messes
    Thanks everyone I'm about to hit the road. I'll give a report on Monday.
    3xasif, I'll be sure do duck when I spritz the Serge Noir.

Have a great weekend everyone! And again Thanks!!!

Basenotes Institution

Looking forward to your report back Lara ! Don't forget to smell Miller Harris L'air de Rien for the full barnyard experience !

Serge Noir is foul, but maybe Fluer d'Orange would be good teeny bit of spice with some floral

Serge Lutens is hard for floral lovers because of their famous syrupy concoctions

but I hope you end up finding one that you really like
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Looking forward to hearing about the fun you will have with all the smelly stuff. Good luck.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 19th September 2009 at 03:56 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I'm too late to get my suggestions in, but I would have recommended Daim Blond, Douce Amère, and Un Bois Sepia.

Looking forward to your report!
    Sniff and let sniff.

Where to begin...first thanks to all of you and your wonderful suggestions. I am so glad I had some guidance because Kuhl-Linscomb was filled with things to try. My nose reached complete olfactory shutdown after the three hours...yes that's right...three hours I was there.

They were lacking a few from the collection but that's okay...I got a fair representation. Fleurs de Citronnie was wonderful, as was Fleurs d'Oranger. A La Nuit was great but I'm trying to break the jasmine habit. Clair de Musc as wonderful and I'm waiting for cooler weather to give it a better test (got a sample..yeah!). Douce Amere also caught my attention and had me sad that I was running out of skin. The most interesting one to my was Arabie...I loved the curry, but if I wore it I would crave Chicken Masala or Massaman Curry all day long. I decided in predictable fashion on Un Lys...lily is my favorite flower (really tied with red roses) and it is a wonderful representation.

The Miller Harris they carry there is very limited (only 6) and the only one I tried on skin was Fleur du Matin. It was okay..but unremarkable on me. I also tried Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has a Gun...really interesting rose scent...check them out and Narcotic Venus by Nasomotto.

I was impressed with Kuhl-Linscomb..I barely scratched the surface of what they offer. I included a picture of Terese..very informative..she knows her stuff. I will also be uploading pics of the store on my page.

Last edited by laral28; 23rd September 2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Picture was only attached

Dependent

laral28, thanks for the update. That must have been 3 solid hours of fun!

Basenotes Institution

Lara- thanks for the picture and the update. You get curry from Arabie and I get fruitcake ! It just sticks and sticks.
    When I looked at the pic - I felt this tingle- ooo ! ...lots of bottles ,lots of scents and I just wanted to be there.

Lara,
    It sounds like you had tons of fun.
    So, you boght the Un Lys. I hope you can give us a review.
    Evenstar

Looks like a great shop, and lots of product all lined up for us to paw over, lol. Un Lys is very nice, I agree--good choice