• Bvlgary Black

13 19.12%
  • Get Both

11 16.18%
  • None

13 19.12%

Default First blind-buy help: Bvlgary Black & Rive Gauche

Hello everyone

I've lately been bitten with the fragrance bug, and I don't see it going away anytime soon.
    I'm currently on a search for an "office fragrance", so longevity is probably my top preference.

Now, I'll be the first to say NO to buying blind, but I can't find these 2 guys anywhere (except online). I'll just quickly tell you what I currently own, and fragrances I couldn't stand.

Own: Fahrenheit, Rochas Man, A&F Fierce, John Varvatos Artisan, D&G The One, Cool Water.

Didn't like (on my skin): M7, Kouros, A*men, Polo original, Black XS.

Why these 2 fragrances?... The reviews seem to be great, they're both kinda cheap and I prefer the more classic/mature/masculine type of fragrances.

Thank you in advance.

PS: I'm 26.
    Last edited by Celsius32; 22nd September 2009 at 06:16 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: First blind-buy help: Bvlgary Black & Rive Gauche

Why don't you get some samples online? I really don't think Bvlgari Black fits the mold of an 'office scent' by any stretch of imagination. Not sure about Rive Gauche since I have yet to try that one but I'm certain other Basenoters will weigh in with their experience.

I voted none. These are both relatively risky blind buys, IMO.

And Bvlgari Black is definitely NOT a "classic/mature/masculine type of fragrance."

If you don't like the pungent, sharp topnotes of M7 or Kouros, the anise- and lavender-filled Rive Gauche will be difficult, although the drydown is softer.

On the other hand, you do like Fahrenheit, which is the king of sharp topnotes. Still, I would order some decants from The Perfumed Court.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 22nd September 2009 at 06:30 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I voted for Rive Gauche.

RG is the more masculine of the two and not sweet like M7 or Black XS. RG is kinda dry.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Rive Gauche, no contest.

Neither make good blind buys to my nose, but Rive Gauche is the safer of the two by wide margin. Bvlgari Black is tar and vanilla, a little bit strange and definitely a try before you buy fragrance.

RG is definitely the more masculine IMO
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

I think Rive Gauche is as safe as Blind Buys can get.
    Its arguably one of the widely appreciated fragrances here on Basenotes. I bought it more or less blind(sniffed it like 2 years back but didnt have any memory of it) and wouldnt want to be without.
    Does suit the use of Officewear nicely, longevity is good and its a fragrance I cant imagine anyone getting sick of.
    Go for it!

RG is definitely the more classic/masculine of the two, but, as one of the seeming few who can't stand it, I don't think it's a safe blind buy. And even though I have and love Black, it really isn't either. It's pretty sweet and is definitely unisex, but, whereas some people might find the bicycle-tire rubber note to be odd, I find it quite unique and charming.
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

I like them both.You dont say what age you are.I'm 52 and think that Rive Gauche would be perfect for me.It comes in 3 strengths but I find the edp and edt are about the same but the edp is more mossy and Patchouli orientated.There is a light version which is fine for the hot weather but the longevity is only 3 to 4 hours on my skin.
    Personally from your fragrance buys ,so far I would suggest sampling before you buy.The reason being that you have a diversity of frgrances which you say suit your skin.Some are oriental and sweet and others are the opposite.
    You may find your signature fragrance one day.From my own experience there are always one or 2 that I regularly revisit and never tire of.
    Happy hunting and dont spend too much as some of the high end fragrances,though unique have poor lasting power.
    funnyboy

This is an easy one. First of, I would say, don't buy before sniffing. But if you insist, i would go for Rive Gauche that imo is more versatile. I don't like Bulgari Black because after an hour all i can sniff on my skin is black tea and more black tea. And i like tea, but not su much on my skin.
    Last edited by Desert; 22nd September 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    I think Rive Gauche is as safe as Blind Buys can get.
    Its arguably one of the widely appreciated fragrances here on Basenotes. I bought it more or less blind(sniffed it like 2 years back but didnt have any memory of it) and wouldnt want to be without.
    Does suit the use of Officewear nicely, longevity is good and its a fragrance I cant imagine anyone getting sick of.
    Go for it!
    These are my sentiments. I have not met anyone who does not like the scent of RG and I have received many compliments when wearing it. To me, it is one of a kind. I will never be without this scent unless it is discontinued or the price goes through the roof, neither of which should occur in a perfect world.

In my opinion, Rive Gauche is an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by auee View Post
    I have not met anyone who does not like the scent of RG...
    Hello, my name is Curtis! Nice to meet you. I detest RG! And so does my girlfriend
    "I don't know what the different scents is. I just know what I like." -- Sephora SA

Quote Originally Posted by curtis.w View Post
    Hello, my name is Curtis! Nice to meet you. I detest RG! And so does my girlfriend
    I finally found a perfumania carrying testers of RG a few weeks ago. I wouldn't say I detested the scent, but I definitely don't get the hype. The stuff smells EXACTLY like $1 / can shaving cream you can buy at wal-mart.

I am wearing RG which I bought blind this week. I think the association with shave cream is just a little over hyped. There is some similarity, but if you think are getting Eau de Barbasol you are in for a big surprise. It is a dark, warm scent that is very powerful, not sweet at all to me. It is not for everyone, I am sure. I like it a lot, and I expect I will like it more with time. Honestly there is not anything I can think of that is so similar to this scent that I would use it to describe this scent.

What I was not expecting was this: RG is just about as powerful a scent as Quorum. Consider yourself warned. However, I would say it is a very safe blind buy. I am happy to have bought it and I know I will use it often.
    Last edited by vonMises; 22nd September 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    I am wearing RG which I bought blind this week. I think the association with shave cream is just a little over hyped. There is some similarity, but if you think are getting Eau de Barbasol you are in for a big surprise. It is a dark, warm scent that is very powerful, not sweet at all to me. It is not for everyone, I am sure. I like it a lot, and I expect I will like it more with time. Honestly there is not anything I can think of that is so similar to this scent that I would use it to describe this scent.

What I was not expecting was this: RG is just about as powerful a scent as Quorum. Consider yourself warned. However, I would say it is a very safe blind buy. I am happy to have bought it and I know I will use it often.
    P.S. If you are under 40 years old, this is not a safe blind buy. Just my opinion.

RG at first sniff, will (likely) smell like barbasol. I never gave it the chance to really explore all the nuances it may have. But my first impression was "Essence of Barbasol".

My first impression of GIT was "Cool Water copied". But after using GIT for a few weeks I really saw the separation in the two. I'm sure RG is the same way.

Dependent

more classic/mature/masculine:

Rive Gauche is probably more fitting than Black, based on your description. RG would probably also make a very decent everyday office scent. But IMHO, there are many more fragrances within a similar price range(based on my observations of online retailers) that are more enjoyable and/or suitable than these 2. While I don't suggest it, I blind buy on occasions too, but I always am prepared for disappointment, in case. All the best with your decision.

Welcome to Basenotes Celsius 32!

I voted None.

You are not compelled to blind buy either. As previously mentioned, please sample first. Provide a fragrance with a couple of wears prior to making a purchase decision.

Best,

TJ

I'm probably one of the very few guys here who thinks buying blind is fun. so... I'd say get both since they could be had for real cheap.

but..

as a general, I don't use "sweet" scents during day time since it could get cloying after a while, so If you plan on using Bul Black as daily office scent, personally, that wouldn't be a good idea, but It's a GREAT late afternoon/evening scent.

Rive Gauche is very versatile, so you could wear that to the office and night outs, I Had a full wearing of RG yesterday, and I really wouldn't call it "as strong as quorum" to me it's slightly sweet, light and airy but packs a punch.It's definitely Masculine, Mature? Sure, but maybe only because the scent itself is very old school and I can't shake the association of RG and what my dad and his friends' aftershave smells like in the 80's . . . Had this scent "type" never been introduced till the 2000's, this could very well be marketed to "younger" crowds.
    Last edited by TimothyX; 23rd September 2009 at 12:40 AM.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Rive Gauche of the two.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I bought RG blind and I liked it. I don't especially care for Black one way or the other. I don't know if I'd call RG a safe blind buy, but it's also dirt cheap online so it's not like you'll be out of a ton of money even if you don't care for it.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

Rive Gauche. Easily.
    Luca Turin called Rive Gauche "brilliant fougere. One of the few of his reviews I agree with.
    A little like Barbasol.
    A little like Brut.
    Uber-masculine and definitely has a presence.
    Get it!

Blog Entries

Rive Gauche PH is as close to a safe buy as blind buys get. Even if you don't like fougères (like me - I'm a bit burned on them from bathing in Brut as a teen), you need to smell this one just to know what it's like. It's a defining scent, IMO. Everybody agrees it's a classic.

Black is not a safe blind buy. Rubber/tar/smoke, tea, vanilla, and at least one note you hate if it's not one of those. But I personally like Black way better. Definitely a more modern scent. Nice on ladies, too.

RG gets my vote. I'm 24 and I wear this frag in the office, when I go out with the GF on weekends strolling.
    Bulgari Black in the other hand for me is a little too sweet for daytime wear.

Of all the blind buys i had, this frag (RG) gets in my weekly rotation almost every week
    Last edited by mralviar; 23rd September 2009 at 05:44 AM.
    My Top 5 : YSL Rive Gauche PH, CD Fahrenheit, YSL M7, Encre Noire, A*Men

Another anti-blind-buy vote. BeautyEncounter, for one, sells a sample of Rive Gauche and a mini of Bvlgari Black.

Crayfish

(But I'm voting for Bvlgari Black because I really like it. But it's not the least bit classic. Tea and rubber tires is my take on it.)
    Last edited by Crayfish; 23rd September 2009 at 06:09 AM.

OK, first of all, this is by far the most responsive forum I've even been a part of.
    Thanks for all your comments and votes.

I've realized that it wasn't such a fair competition (judging by your comments).
    RG definitely sounds safer, and will probably suit my taste better (not a big fan of sweet scents), so that's my winner between the two.
    I am still intrigued with the bicycle-tire rubber effect of Bvlgary, though.

For those who wondered, I'm 26, so I'm a little worried that RG will be too mature for me, but I want to give it a shot anyway.

Since I don't want to open yet another "recommend me an office scent" thread, what are some classic office fragrances that you can quickly recommend (with longevity being a top demand)?

RG is "older man" smelling, esp if your coming from Fahrenheit, Rochas Man, A&F Fierce, John Varvatos Artisan, D&G The One, Cool Water.

i say go for BB
    Last edited by chaosman; 23rd September 2009 at 07:49 AM.

RG is a masterpiece. it suits(almost) everyone at anytime. dont believe the legend of RG-mature men. its very masculine,so it might be a little "too much" for those who like ADG kind of frags. its a mixture of old school and modernity at its very best.

Bulgari Black is something you want to wear once a month. The rubber note is nicely done but then the floral part of it (the pretty part) is annoying. I will not wear it as my office scent.
    Rive gauche is a well done modern interpretation of what one could consider barber shop scent. Very masculine and manly but with a nice touch of sophistication, when I wear it I feel as I just got a hair cut or got a nice shave at a barber shop. I consider it a "happy fragrance"
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

It's no secret that I love Rive Gauche Pour Homme. It's the biggest compliment getter to ever touch my skin and it smells amazing. Definitely check it out, but make sure to give it some serious skin time-- don't judge it on a paper card.

Bulgari Black on the other hand... I love it also. Used to wear it somewhat regularly. But I have to just say it-- the stupid bottle is junk, and the spray mechanism WILL most likely break on you, leaving you with a little glass and rubber hockey puck with the juice trapped inside. I was talking to an SA at Nordstroms last week and she was lamenting how much she loved Bulgari Black-- but they had to take the tester away because everytime they left it out, the sprayer would break from people turning the nozzle. Now they don't carry it anymore.

I've had two bottles of Bulgari Black and the sprayers on both of them have broken leaving them both half full and leaky. I'm thinking of writing to Bulgari. They need to just relaunch Black in a normal bottle with a normal sprayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

Bulgari Black on the other hand... I love it also. Used to wear it somewhat regularly. But I have to just say it-- the stupid bottle is junk, and the spray mechanism WILL most likely break on you, leaving you with a little glass and rubber hockey puck with the juice trapped inside. I was talking to an SA at Nordstroms last week and she was lamenting how much she loved Bulgari Black-- but they had to take the tester away because everytime they left it out, the sprayer would break from people turning the nozzle. Now they don't carry it anymore.

I've had two bottles of Bulgari Black and the sprayers on both of them have broken leaving them both half full and leaky. I'm thinking of writing to Bulgari. They need to just relaunch Black in a normal bottle with a normal sprayer.
    I thought they redesigned the spray mechanism of BB... The sprayer is a normal one with no on/off switch....

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I voted none. These are both relatively risky blind buys, IMO.

And Bvlgari Black is definitely NOT a "classic/mature/masculine type of fragrance."

If you don't like the pungent, sharp topnotes of M7 or Kouros, the anise- and lavender-filled Rive Gauche will be difficult, although the drydown is softer.

On the other hand, you do like Fahrenheit, which is the king of sharp topnotes. Still, I would order some decants from The Perfumed Court.
    I must agree - these two are very unsafe blind buys. BB's (burnt) rubber note is an acquired taste - I find it hideous. RG can feel very stuffy, soapy and barbershoppy - not a question of maturity whether you like it, but I don't find it bottleworthy.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 23rd September 2009 at 06:42 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

It wasn't easy, but I've found a place where I could finally sample both fragrances.

I actually liked BB more. It's definitely more of an evening scent, and I did like the tire/rubber "note". I think I can learn to appreciate it more in the future. As to RG, I simply didn't like the juice. There are "mature" fragrances that I like, this wasn't one of them.

My conclusion is, there's no such thing as a safe blind-buy (!), at least not for someone who is relatively new in this hobby.

At the end I was kinda disappointed so I treated myself with 50ml of Body Kouros ...is that sex in a bottle or what?
    Still searching for an office scent, though...
    Last edited by Celsius32; 23rd September 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I must agree - these two are very unsafe blind buys. BB's (burnt) rubber note is an acquired taste - I find it hideous. RG can feel very stuffy, soapy and barbershoppy - not a question of maturity whether you like it, but I don't find it bottleworthy.
    The_Good_Life flies under the German flag, and RG is French. So, keep that in mind..

Give Gucci Pour Homme a try for you "Mature" scent fix.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius32 View Post
    Since I don't want to open yet another "recommend me an office scent" thread, what are some classic office fragrances that you can quickly recommend (with longevity being a top demand)?
    I find myself wearing Bvlgari Pour Homme to the office often. It is very subtle, and some say that it lacks longevity, but I don't think that's true. It just stays close to the skin. Green rose, tea, pepper, sheer musk. Great.

Also, Swiss Army, which is ridiculously cheap for a good as it smells. It's very green and minty, with a nice woody base. Longevity is excellent.

For a light leather (good for winter office wear), consider Aramis.

Finally, and also for winter, Escada Pour Homme. It opens strong, but quickly fades to a relatively light, classically masculine sweet accord of spices, cognac and sandalwood.

Really, there are tons of good office scents. I feel comfortable wearing almost anything to work, since I tend to apply lightly.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 23rd September 2009 at 10:06 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I thought they redesigned the spray mechanism of BB... The sprayer is a normal one with no on/off switch....
    Really? Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check have a look next time I'm at one of the stores that carries it. I still feel ticked off though that my bottles are both practically useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Really? Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check have a look next time I'm at one of the stores that carries it. I still feel ticked off though that my bottles are both practically useless.
    I bought a 40ml bottle with the new regular type spray mechanism couple of months ago. No more malfunctioning sprayer but the bottle does feel a little awkward to spray due to the shape.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

GET Both!

i also like RGfM better than bulgari black. I find RG soapy (did compare the shower gel to hamam soap), dry, linear, minimal and longlasting. Azarro Ph is an similar frag.

RG should be also cheaper than bb.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."