Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up S o t D Thursday 24 September 2009

Hello, Good Morning and Great Thursday for all

Henri Sorsona for Annick Goutal

Eau d' Hadrien , Eau de Parfum version

Inspired by Marguerite Yourcenar's novel, Annick Goutal created this fragrance to capture the emotions instilled in her by the Vth century Roman Emperor in the novel "Les Mémoires d'Hadrien". This perfume, universal and timeless, evokes the citrusy freshness of a Mediterranean grove

Composition: Sicilian lemon, citron, grapefruit, cypress
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: S o t D Thursday 24 September 2009

I'm so angry that I just have to complain and vent! I had a really great day today-- made it to my lunchtime belly dancing class and did really well, ran lots of errands in the evening (post office, library, dry cleaners), and I went to the gym for the first time in over 10 days (I'm newly addicted to Mafia Wars and had been letting that eat all my free time ). At the gym, I'd showered, was blow drying my hair, and looking forward to dinner with DH and meeting some new acquaintances of his that he met in the Buddhist meditation classes he's been taking for the past two months. After my workout in the pool (I typically swim about 3/4 to one mile), it has long been my habit to rinse my swimsuit in the sink, toss it in the spinner (which gets it from wet to barely damp), then hang it in the sauna to dry. By the time I'm showered, blown dry, and changed it's always nice and dry. Well, today someone took my swimsuit! It's a competition suit by Nike that I bought for about $20 at TJ Maxx at the beginning of summer. They have no more swimsuits, and after checking sporting goods stores and ebay for a similar suit, it's going to cost me about $40 - $50 to replace it with one of the same quality. It originally retailed for $92. I'm so, so mad! I would never steal from someone! I checked both at the front desk and with the staff lady who cleans out the used towels and tidies the locker area, and it was not seen. Grr! Wah!

I'm in comforting Costes this evening/early morning. Too angry to sleep. Foo.

Dinner with DH and his new friends was quite nice, however.

p.s. Thank you for the lovely photos, Roberto. Seeing them actually helps a little.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 24th September 2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added p.s.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Jour de Fête - not in the mood for something heavier as I feel a headache lurking.

Sorry to hear about your suit! Maybe it's a mix-up after all and you'll get it back still. Small chance, but you never know.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

My SOTD is Caron L'Anarchiste.

Top notes: Orange Blossom, Mandarin
    Middle notes: Cedar Leaves, Sandal, Vetiver, Cedarwood
    Base notes: Musc

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Jungle Elephant by Kenzo

Looooveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this so much
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hugs to An Oud Girl...stealing another person's swimsuit is like stealing underwear...that person must be icky. I hope your week turns back around.

Today I think it will be Penhaligon's Lavandula!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with laral28 about the underwear aspect of the swimsuit -- who in the right mind would want to wear something that was in contact (*khm khm*) previously? Hugs to you, an_oud_girl anyhow.

My carpal tunneled wrist still hurts although I wore a soft wrap to bed. I can't possibly let my right hand take it easy and cortizone shots are not in a foreseeable future either.

Le Labo Ambrette for me today.

Have a nice day, y'all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

an_oud_girl - that's low! I hope you find another without having to outlay too much $

Today's testing scents -

Armani Idole - hmm I wasn't overwhelmed by this one at all. I received a sample spray when I purchased my YSL Yvresse so I will try it out again.

Nina Ricci L'Air du Tempts - I really thought I would like this but there was something funny and cereal-y about it on me. For a moment it reminded me of my mum and then it just turned.

Wylde Ivy Violetta - Love this and am planning to purchase. It's an interesting scent I get candided violets and greenery all at once - so it's sweet but still maintains a certain crisp freshness.

Wylde Ivy - Vanilla Chai. Hmmm sweet comforting goodness, this has a slightly cinnamon spice aspect but is a warm, smooth vanilla all the way through. Just my cup of tea (haha lame I know)

Scent for the afternoon and for evening ballet class - newly purchased YSL Yvresse. I am so happy I finally purchased this one, it lasted well through my ballet class but was soft enough and kept close to the skin so I didn't put anyone of their dancing
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To an_oud_girl its just the sense that another person thought that it was fine to take something that is not their own that aggravates me. Chalk me up as someone who is hoping your suit got mis-placed and will find its way back to you.

I woke up in a patchouli mood and so I'm going with it.

L'Artisan Patchouli Patch

Ever since I first smelled patchouli oil on a person in my early teens I have liked the scent of it. There is something about patchouli that comes off as a comfort scent on me and also, in some way, reminds me of my youth at the same time. I own and like many of the patchouli-based scents that are available and it doesn't take much more than a well-blended mix of patchouli to get my seal of approval. The 2002 L'Artisan release Patchouli Patch does have something else going for it besides the titular note it also has my favorite current perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour as its co-designer, along with Evelyne Boulanger. That takes Patchouli Patch up a notch, for me. The top of Patchouli Patch is an interesting mix of patchouli and the sweet floral note of osmanthus. The combination accentuates the sweeter aspects of patchouli but it also allows the herbal contrast inherent in patchouli to stand out more clearly, as well. The move into the heart is accompanied by sheer white musk which adds a quality of making the patchouli feel broken-in as if you've been wearing it for hours instead of an hour. The white musk gives the feel of a sun-warmed skin accord and that seems perfect. The base is an interesting choice to pair the patchouli with a stark anise. The cool anise is at right angles to the now warm patchouli and gives the base of Patchouli Patch an icy warm feel that is great to experience. The choice of a few notes to go with patchouli which progress the scent from sweet to warm to cool is really quite inspired. Patchouli Patch has avarage longevity and sillage on me. Yes its easy to get me to like a patchouli perfume but in the case of Patchouli Patch its a pleasure to wear and no hardship to enjoy.

Have a Thrilling Thursday everyone.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

OudGirl, that is so aggravating. I hope your suit gives the thief a permanent wedgie!!!
    Get well wishes to those feeling poorly.

Acqua di Parma Mandorlo di Sicilia

Best to all!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aramis today
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

OudGirl, I hope that someone got home from the gym last night and looked at the suit and said, "Oh, no! I could have sworn that was mine!" I'd rather not think that someone would be so crass and low that they would just help themselves to a personal item like that.

Well, after a full day out of Carnal Flower yesterday, (WOW, what longevity and late interest out of that one!) I took a late night shower and put on a little Musc Ravageur for bed. Eight hours later, I still smell it clinging to me! F. Malle gets a longevity award for me, I have a skin that just devours fragrance....I guess when the juice is that pricey, you 'd better not have to reapply too often. Hee!

I'll give the MR a little longer to die down, and then choose a SotD. I'm leaning towards Parfum Sacre as a worthy follow-up.
    Do you think "Old Lady Perfume" is a compliment? Join the Scent of an Old Woman Social Group and chat in-depth about vintage and classic fragrances!

*~~________________________________________~~*

Post Thanks / Like

an_oud_girl : That's awful!
    I hope you get it back or at least found another really nice one to replace it.

My day was sad. I've been asking (posting) around in a Thai forum I frequent for a blood donor to help a cancer-stricken dog named Lucky. The good new last night was, there are 5 donors brought to the animal hospital and the doctor was going to give Lucky the blood transfusion this morning. I went to work with a feeling of accomplishment but came home to the sad news that Lucky died peacefully before he reach the operation table.

I keep telling myself he's gone to a better place, cancer-free.

Almost forgot, I'm in Egoiste Platinum.

Oh, Oud !
    That soul is a PERV, dammit.
    [ Here's hoping they have second thoughts...that it was a mix-up, perhaps.]

Twolfie, I feel that wrist ;0
    [ I had surgery 6 years ago, but now other demons descend....]
    We NEED our HANDS.
    AND our sleep, too, while we're at it...;-)
    Hoping you feel relief, SOON.

No more nonsense for Mme. M.
    She "needs to move it, move it " !
    A shower, Le De, and gym-
    In that order.

Kisses to owwies, aching hearts and extremities-
    And hoping the day flies by MERRILY ...;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    OudGirl, that is so aggravating. I hope your suit gives the thief a permanent wedgie!!!
    Yep, I wish the same! Make sure you report this to the fitness center, they should be made aware.

Oh dear Jasper...I'm sorry about Lucky. Sending virtual {{{hugs}}} to you.

For those with aches & pains, hope you find relief.

I've been on a Musc Ravageur kick lately,had a Bal a Versaille intervention last night, but I'm back on the Malle again today! It's absolutely addicting.

Oud girl: oh, grr indeed! I'll join the club that thinks it may have just been a mix-up, but still. There is a possibility that someone actually stole it.

I've been in Mandragore for the past couple of days, as I am again in today. Have less than half of my bottle left now and I'm starting to get the "can't run out"-jitters (which, as well all know, are so very irrational: there is more of it in the shop for heaven's sakes).

I'll be on holiday from tomorrow for a couple of weeks and in Finland for the first 5. Can't wait to see my friends!

Hugs to all! xxx

Post Thanks / Like

How annoying about the swimsuit! Fingers crossed it will turn up.

Today I'm wearing Michael by Michael Kors. I love this scent so much.

Yesterday I went shopping with my little girl and we killed some time sniffing scent strips. She's only 19 months, but is excellent at looking like she knows what she's doing and says "niiiiiiice" if she approves. She liked MJ Lola (wanted to eat the bottle), wasn't too fussed by Daisy, and thought that Poison was "niiiiiiiice". :-)

Post Thanks / Like

OudGirl, that's just vile! I'm echoing the previously expressed hopes that the person who took your swimsuit did so accidentally, and that it's either returned to you or that you find a great (cheap!) replacement soon. Meanwhile, how about another round of Mafia Wars?

Today I'm wearing a sample of Be Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful's Breath of God, courtesy of an extremely generous Basenoter who surprised me with a package yesterday! The package also included the two "component" scents to Breath of God, Inhale (billed as the 'feminine' aspect) and Exhale (the masculine). I must say I'm really enjoying Breath of God and find it much more compelling than either of the component fragrances. I love how the somewhat harsh dark notes of Exhale blend with the light, citrusy floral ones of Inhale (which I suppose is the point!), and the drydown of BoG is smooth and absolutely fantastic.

I suppose the question now is whether I'll get the same Breath of God effect if I combine the remaining samples of Inhale and Exhale, or if I'll just end up with mush... Think I'll live dangerously and try it when I get home.

Breath of God notes include: Smoky scents, sandalwood, amber, neroli and patchouli with rose, lemon oil, floral notes and jasmine.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 24th September 2009 at 01:21 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

SotD is Kenzo Amour, thanks to a generous BNer I think it will go well with the amber richness I get to enjoy today!

ETA: OudGirl, that is beyond vile. Hope it comes back to you, but if not... ~may it rub the thief raw in sensitive areas~
    Last edited by Outlandish; 24th September 2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

I'm wearing Nahema today.

Balmain Vent Vert for this mild sunny & gorgeous fall day, a tingly happy green

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello and morning everyone !

An Oud Girl - gee whiz- how low do some people sink ? A personal trainer at my gym had his used tennis shoes taken when he was in the shower ! I have had face cream ,cleansing wash and an hair brush taken too ,from the gym . One lady hung her wedding ring on her key ring and that ,of course was stolen . She was in panic mode - she told me she would have to replace it without telling her husband !

Twolfie - hugs to you and I am sorry about your wrist. I hope you feel better soon. I am also still all swollen after one miserable wisdom tooth extraction. SO glad I only had one done .No gym for 3 days is terrible for me.
    Jasper- hugs to you - Lucky is in a better place. I had a female dog called Lucky too .

This morning it's Opium EDT for me- I don't know why I am craving just the EDT lately.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

I had PdN Le Temps d'une Fete lingering on my sweater, so that is what my SotD will be!

The swimsuit thing is really strange, an_oud_girl--I agree with the others that it is much to personal of an item to be so attractive to a thief. I hope it shows up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: S o t D Thursday 24 September 2009

Amber Gris by Balmain.

Hugs to all who need it today.

an_oud_girl: That is low! Who would steal such a personal item? Ugh, some people!

Beautiful day today. Now that we are officially into fall, I'm craving some warmth, today I'm in Angelique Encens.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Oohhh an_oud_girl sorry to hear that!
    How weird some people can be!
    And now what, will they wear it to this same pool?
    What I am curious about however is:
    What will you do if you see it on someone else? hehe

At my hot yoga studio, we don't lock up our personal belongings,
    everything, and I mean everything! is left in a little cubby hole...
    It never occurred to me that my underwear could be missing
    when I come back from my savasana!

I am in Ruby Lips today
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Shalimar Light by Guerlain

Haven't worn this one in a while, it feels so good to smell it all around me today.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oud, there is nothing more infuriating than a sense of injustice. However, I know that by tomorrow, you'll put things in perspective and be rejoicing about all that is right with your lovely world.

Jasper ... bless your heart.

I'm sneakily wearing the happy scent Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis. (DH hasn't picked up on the fig yet.) Could easily have been a scent twin with Coconut or Nukapai, but just didn't happen today.

Carpal-tunnel is a serious bummer. Healing vibes to Wolfie and all in need.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the swimsuit theft, an_oud_girl. That stinks!

Scent twins with Asha in Le Temps d'une Fete. Take care, all.

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel No. 19 EDT

Post Thanks / Like

Warming up with Sensuous on a cold, cloudy, rainy day.

Post Thanks / Like

Champs Elysee on this still hot South Florida day.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

About that swimsuit, people will keep and use the strangest things! A few years back I dropped my prescription eyeglasses (which I used only for driving, so they were in my hand) in a parking lot on my way into a store. As soon as I was in the store I realized I'd lost them so immediately went back out and retraced my steps-- but they were already gone. I left my name at the store and called back to check repeatedly, advertised etc.-- nothing. When I returned to the optician and told him what had happened, he said people come in all the time with glasses they say they found, which they are now wearing themselves! My jaw just dropped. Why would anyone wear someone else's prescription glasses?!?

Twolf, do you have a splint for the wrist? I hope you feel better soon.

Today I am wearing a sample of AG Quel Amour which I got at Henri Bendel last Saturday (the SA kindly sprayed a bit into my empty atomizer.) I'm thinking this one may be full bottle worthy. I've smelled it before and thought the same, though, yet have never taken the plunge with this one. Not sure why.

Sending sympathetic hugs to OudGirl,Twolf, and Jasper.

My SotD is M. Micallef White Sea, from a sample. This is a gorgeously blended fragrance that does have a seaside flavor, to my nose. It is not an aquatic.

Notes (Luckyscent): lime, violet, patchouli, nutmeg, musk, grey amber, iris

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Oud_Girl, I'm sorry your suit got swiped, it's icky that's for sure.

Jasper {{{{{{{hug}}}}}}

Twolf, I feel your pain. Got one of those wrists myself but it's an on & off thing.

Today I have bronchitis & I feel awful. I'm supposed to be going to Back to School night but that's out...I'm contagious! Sofie's birthday sleepover is Saturday & I don't want to dissapoint her & her friends but I need some help. Where are those elves when you need them?

Comfort scent for me today, Natori, the new one. I know it smells good, even if I can't smell it myself today.

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings and howdies to all

Robert Piguet's Visa seemed perfect today. Finally got around to ordering Dioressence today. Last month I cut back on perfume purchases, but spent a fair amount finding old movies on DVD. Go figure....
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Daim blond. Aloof

Magnetism by Escada
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Oud Girl, that is lousy of someone to do, let us just hope they end up with a UTI because they are evil. Big ((hugs)) to you. Glad the dinner was a nice one though.

Twolfie, i do hope your wrists will be feeling better soon, you need a ((hug)) also.

Jasper, that is so sad about Lucky, i too hope he is in a better place frolicking around.

RHM sweetie, take care of yourself and feel better real soon. Hugs to Sofie, as always.

Today i started out in vintage Vivara by Pucci, quite similar to Diorella (older version), tonight i am wearing Cristalle by Chanel, trying to get in all these warmer weather scents before it cools down tomorrow.

Hugs and love to all
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Post Thanks / Like

Swimsuit stealing? Wtf? I hope it was just a mistake and you get it back, An_oud_girl.

Twolf, rest that wrist!

Jasper, (((big hugs))) to you. It is so hard to lose a beloved furry friend…but you’re right, Lucky is in a better place where there is no pain. I am frequently visited in my dreams by dogs who have gone to Doggie Heaven. It’s always such a joyful reunion!

I wore Estee Lauder's Pure White Linen as SotD for substitute teaching in a high school. That was my first day back subbing this school year. I really enjoyed it, but I'm wiped out. The little angels really are draining.

This evening I'm wearing some vintage Y parfum that I bought on ebay and that was waiting for me in the mailbox. My goodness, is it ever gorgeous! Even though it has turned slightly in the top notes, and the juice has darkened from its original pale color to an amber-honey color, it still smells better than anything I've smelled in ages. So that was a treat to come home to.

Easy evening at home tonight. I really must cook us a proper meal tonight. We've been souping & sandwiching it lately.

Have a good evening!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 24th September 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have been resting, got a splinter for the wrist and took a nap. Thanks for your kind thoughts chanelled this way.

Bulgari Red Tea for the evening.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Hypnose today. It was a long day at work and I'm going to a baby shower for a coworker tonight.

Twolf, I hope your wrist gets better soon!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nanadesbary's Green

[COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

I've been in Serge Lutens Daim Blond today.

Tonight... maybe Shalimar?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

This evening ,I'm in Bluebell .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This afternoon was Tabac Blond by Caron. Thanks again Mysticknot...I smelled downright aristocratic all afternoon. This evening is God only knows what...Saks had an event...filled me with snacks and champagne and loaded me down with goodies....oh and my first Creed purchase...Fleurs de Bulgare!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OK, Mysticknot, you GOTTA have a good story with that avatar.
    (M has such great avatars.)

OudGirl - When that kind of stuff happens, you really gotta wonder what some people could possibly be thinking...shucks.

((((Jasper))))

Also sending my get-well hugs to Twolf...and another big round of hugs to the BNers....

My SotD is FM L'Eau d'Hiver

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Back in Endymion tonight, from a sample. This frag is bottle worthy in my opinion.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Swooning with Attrape Coeur tonight.

Hugs to all who need them, this has been quite a week.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Armani Code Pour Homme
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry Jasper, hugs to you.
    Twolf, I am glad you are resting your wrist.

Oud_Girl, the swimsuit affair is really odd!

Today I wore Back in Black from a sample. It is a nice honey, very linear on me, but I don't think it is worth the price. I think I will go for the Filles en Aiguilles insteadm, but not soon.

Smelling like honey all day I was glad that Yogui Bear and Boo Boo Bear are not visiting Southern California.
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi all, with special hugs and good feelings to those in need.

Today's SOTD was my first sample of The House of Creative Scentualization Beauty Comes From Within.

Super, super candy-sweet citrus and vanilla.

Honestly, this is a combination that I'm learning never works on me. I like my citrus puckery and peppery, not candied. While this stopped short of being pure cotton candy and actually added some nuance with some florals and cinnamon, I just can't wear these.

But I'm sure there are some here who would love it.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dude, oud girl, that's fargin gross! And disturbing! Wtf is wrong with some people. Btw, I always thought you were pretty gangster.

(((Jasper))), what a kind thing you did. My heart goes out to you and Lucky, that little animal is in a very special place now. He was lucky to have a friend like you!

Love the Yogi Bear ref, Arwen, I think you're okay as long as you're not carrying a picnic basket.

lara128 you smell goooooood!

I couldn't decide what to wear this morning so I asked DH to choose out of three. He chose Alien.

Have a wunnerful night, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Today's SOTE has been Thiery Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee.

WARNING: RANT INCOMING

My basic gripe with Pure Coffee is the same I have for every single chocolate frag I've tried: It doesn't smell like actual chocolate. The "chocolate" note that everyone seems to use, from perfumes to chocolate-scented candles to chocolate-flavored lip balm to whatever, always smells to me like an oddly synthetic mix of patchouli, cardboard, and actual chocolate. I've even smelled all-natural essential-oil scents and flavorings derived from actual cocoa beans, and it smells like the weird fake "chocolate" too.

So this leads me to believe that the smell of rich chocolate is somehow too nuanced to be recreated. Something about the roasting of the beans and the conching and the tempering and everything else makes the smell of actual chocolate so complex that the smell and taste of it simply can't be recreated without actual chocolate.

I think the thing that chaps my hide is that no one seems to care. Burr gave Pure Coffee four stars! People insist that Tootsie Rolls and Oreo cookies taste like real chocolate. And people smell the crime against humanity that is Montale's Chocolate Greedy and say "Mmm - chocolate!" and are perfectly happy, while I'm trapped in my little padded cell screaming "That's not what chocolate smells like!!!"

Maybe I'm the weird one here (ok, definitely I'm the weird one here), but I just wish perfumers would go out and buy a chocolate bar - even cheap stuff like Hersheys or Cadbury that's more wax than chocolate - and put it in a little pan on the stove. Turn on the heat and melt it. That intoxicating, life-affirming aroma that's filling your kitchen? THAT'S what chocolate smells like...

So, if it's true that the beautiful true aroma of chocolate is simply un-recreatable, there can simply never be a chocolate scent that I'll ever like.

Sort of depressing.

RANT COMPLETED

Anyway, back to A*Men Pure Coffee.

It started briefly with a combination of coffee and patchouli before quickly fading to a faux-chocolate/lavender combination that suffers from the problems stated in my above rant.

Not really bad, but it comes off on me as more of a lavender/patchouli lightly flavored with coffee and chocolate than the unabashed gourmand I was expecting.

I prefer Bond's New Haarlem to this, honestly, though I'm still not 100% convinced that NH is coffee-grail material.

The search continues...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aimez Moi
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Christian Dior Diorama

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you all for the kind words (especially the new one I learned from Sunnyfunny-- "fargin" lol!). DH has been supportive as well. He tells me to try to move on from my anger and have some fun trying to score another good deal on a suit. I do love shopping for bargain! I did pick up a suit today at a sporting goods store-- a Speedo for $30 that normally retails for about $60. I checked again at the gym today, but the suit had not reappeared. It is as SMM and others have said-- the fact that someone felt they could help themselves to something obviously not theirs. I'm the only one who dries their suit in the sauna, afaik. It is seldom used at all; in fact, I recall seeing only one other person in there over the past 6 months that I've been a member. Oh well.

Jaspar~ I'm sorry to hear Lucky's story didn't quite make it. However, I hope that the awareness you've raised will help other unfortunate pooches.

3xasif~ *love* the Vent Vert ad! I suppose I really got to try that sometime!

Gentle hugs to those with aches and pains.

I'm wearing the three scents for this month's Blind Sniff. Yes, all three-- kumquat said we could! I don't know what all I'm wearing, but I smell marvelous!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 25th September 2009 at 07:46 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    ..while I'm trapped in my little padded cell screaming "That's not what chocolate smells like!!!"
    Sweety, I'm right there with you in the padded cell. I received Pure Coffee in a swap last week and I immediately quarantined it in my "to swap" folder after it attempted choking me to death with its plastic patchouli and chocolate. Both are notes that can ruin an acceptable scent for me entirely.
    Only two fumes that purportedly have chocolate as a note are ok with me: Coromandel and Borneo 1834. Tried those?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams