Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: S o t D Thursday 24 September 2009

Chanel No. 19 EDT

Warming up with Sensuous on a cold, cloudy, rainy day.
    Currently wearing: Naturelle by Yves Rocher

Champs Elysee on this still hot South Florida day.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

About that swimsuit, people will keep and use the strangest things! A few years back I dropped my prescription eyeglasses (which I used only for driving, so they were in my hand) in a parking lot on my way into a store. As soon as I was in the store I realized I'd lost them so immediately went back out and retraced my steps-- but they were already gone. I left my name at the store and called back to check repeatedly, advertised etc.-- nothing. When I returned to the optician and told him what had happened, he said people come in all the time with glasses they say they found, which they are now wearing themselves! My jaw just dropped. Why would anyone wear someone else's prescription glasses?!?

Twolf, do you have a splint for the wrist? I hope you feel better soon.

Today I am wearing a sample of AG Quel Amour which I got at Henri Bendel last Saturday (the SA kindly sprayed a bit into my empty atomizer.) I'm thinking this one may be full bottle worthy. I've smelled it before and thought the same, though, yet have never taken the plunge with this one. Not sure why.

Sending sympathetic hugs to OudGirl,Twolf, and Jasper.

My SotD is M. Micallef White Sea, from a sample. This is a gorgeously blended fragrance that does have a seaside flavor, to my nose. It is not an aquatic.

Notes (Luckyscent): lime, violet, patchouli, nutmeg, musk, grey amber, iris

Blog Entries

Oud_Girl, I'm sorry your suit got swiped, it's icky that's for sure.

Jasper {{{{{{{hug}}}}}}

Twolf, I feel your pain. Got one of those wrists myself but it's an on & off thing.

Today I have bronchitis & I feel awful. I'm supposed to be going to Back to School night but that's out...I'm contagious! Sofie's birthday sleepover is Saturday & I don't want to dissapoint her & her friends but I need some help. Where are those elves when you need them?

Comfort scent for me today, Natori, the new one. I know it smells good, even if I can't smell it myself today.

Greetings and howdies to all

Robert Piguet's Visa seemed perfect today. Finally got around to ordering Dioressence today. Last month I cut back on perfume purchases, but spent a fair amount finding old movies on DVD. Go figure....
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Daim blond. Aloof

Magnetism by Escada
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Oh, Oud Girl, that is lousy of someone to do, let us just hope they end up with a UTI because they are evil. Big ((hugs)) to you. Glad the dinner was a nice one though.

Twolfie, i do hope your wrists will be feeling better soon, you need a ((hug)) also.

Jasper, that is so sad about Lucky, i too hope he is in a better place frolicking around.

RHM sweetie, take care of yourself and feel better real soon. Hugs to Sofie, as always.

Today i started out in vintage Vivara by Pucci, quite similar to Diorella (older version), tonight i am wearing Cristalle by Chanel, trying to get in all these warmer weather scents before it cools down tomorrow.

Hugs and love to all
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Swimsuit stealing? Wtf? I hope it was just a mistake and you get it back, An_oud_girl.

Twolf, rest that wrist!

Jasper, (((big hugs))) to you. It is so hard to lose a beloved furry friend…but you’re right, Lucky is in a better place where there is no pain. I am frequently visited in my dreams by dogs who have gone to Doggie Heaven. It’s always such a joyful reunion!

I wore Estee Lauder's Pure White Linen as SotD for substitute teaching in a high school. That was my first day back subbing this school year. I really enjoyed it, but I'm wiped out. The little angels really are draining.

This evening I'm wearing some vintage Y parfum that I bought on ebay and that was waiting for me in the mailbox. My goodness, is it ever gorgeous! Even though it has turned slightly in the top notes, and the juice has darkened from its original pale color to an amber-honey color, it still smells better than anything I've smelled in ages. So that was a treat to come home to.

Easy evening at home tonight. I really must cook us a proper meal tonight. We've been souping & sandwiching it lately.

Have a good evening!
    Last edited by lilybelle; 24th September 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yeah, I have been resting, got a splinter for the wrist and took a nap. Thanks for your kind thoughts chanelled this way.

Bulgari Red Tea for the evening.

heart of ice

I'm wearing Hypnose today. It was a long day at work and I'm going to a baby shower for a coworker tonight.

Twolf, I hope your wrist gets better soon!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Nanadesbary's Green

I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc

I've been in Serge Lutens Daim Blond today.

Tonight... maybe Shalimar?

Basenotes Institution

This evening ,I'm in Bluebell .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

This afternoon was Tabac Blond by Caron. Thanks again Mysticknot...I smelled downright aristocratic all afternoon. This evening is God only knows what...Saks had an event...filled me with snacks and champagne and loaded me down with goodies....oh and my first Creed purchase...Fleurs de Bulgare!
    Mapping the memory one scent at a time

Blog Entries

OK, Mysticknot, you GOTTA have a good story with that avatar.
    (M has such great avatars.)

OudGirl - When that kind of stuff happens, you really gotta wonder what some people could possibly be thinking...shucks.

((((Jasper))))

Also sending my get-well hugs to Twolf...and another big round of hugs to the BNers....

My SotD is FM L'Eau d'Hiver

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Back in Endymion tonight, from a sample. This frag is bottle worthy in my opinion.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Swooning with Attrape Coeur tonight.

Hugs to all who need them, this has been quite a week.
    Visit my website! http://www.smelloutlandish.com/ 10% discount with code: BASENOTES

Armani Code Pour Homme
    Gary

I am so sorry Jasper, hugs to you.
    Twolf, I am glad you are resting your wrist.

Oud_Girl, the swimsuit affair is really odd!

Today I wore Back in Black from a sample. It is a nice honey, very linear on me, but I don't think it is worth the price. I think I will go for the Filles en Aiguilles insteadm, but not soon.

Smelling like honey all day I was glad that Yogui Bear and Boo Boo Bear are not visiting Southern California.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Hi all, with special hugs and good feelings to those in need.

Today's SOTD was my first sample of The House of Creative Scentualization Beauty Comes From Within.

Super, super candy-sweet citrus and vanilla.

Honestly, this is a combination that I'm learning never works on me. I like my citrus puckery and peppery, not candied. While this stopped short of being pure cotton candy and actually added some nuance with some florals and cinnamon, I just can't wear these.

But I'm sure there are some here who would love it.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Dude, oud girl, that's fargin gross! And disturbing! Wtf is wrong with some people. Btw, I always thought you were pretty gangster.

(((Jasper))), what a kind thing you did. My heart goes out to you and Lucky, that little animal is in a very special place now. He was lucky to have a friend like you!

Love the Yogi Bear ref, Arwen, I think you're okay as long as you're not carrying a picnic basket.

lara128 you smell goooooood!

I couldn't decide what to wear this morning so I asked DH to choose out of three. He chose Alien.

Have a wunnerful night, everyone!

Blog Entries

Today's SOTE has been Thiery Mugler A*Men Pure Coffee.

WARNING: RANT INCOMING

My basic gripe with Pure Coffee is the same I have for every single chocolate frag I've tried: It doesn't smell like actual chocolate. The "chocolate" note that everyone seems to use, from perfumes to chocolate-scented candles to chocolate-flavored lip balm to whatever, always smells to me like an oddly synthetic mix of patchouli, cardboard, and actual chocolate. I've even smelled all-natural essential-oil scents and flavorings derived from actual cocoa beans, and it smells like the weird fake "chocolate" too.

So this leads me to believe that the smell of rich chocolate is somehow too nuanced to be recreated. Something about the roasting of the beans and the conching and the tempering and everything else makes the smell of actual chocolate so complex that the smell and taste of it simply can't be recreated without actual chocolate.

I think the thing that chaps my hide is that no one seems to care. Burr gave Pure Coffee four stars! People insist that Tootsie Rolls and Oreo cookies taste like real chocolate. And people smell the crime against humanity that is Montale's Chocolate Greedy and say "Mmm - chocolate!" and are perfectly happy, while I'm trapped in my little padded cell screaming "That's not what chocolate smells like!!!"

Maybe I'm the weird one here (ok, definitely I'm the weird one here), but I just wish perfumers would go out and buy a chocolate bar - even cheap stuff like Hersheys or Cadbury that's more wax than chocolate - and put it in a little pan on the stove. Turn on the heat and melt it. That intoxicating, life-affirming aroma that's filling your kitchen? THAT'S what chocolate smells like...

So, if it's true that the beautiful true aroma of chocolate is simply un-recreatable, there can simply never be a chocolate scent that I'll ever like.

Sort of depressing.

RANT COMPLETED

Anyway, back to A*Men Pure Coffee.

It started briefly with a combination of coffee and patchouli before quickly fading to a faux-chocolate/lavender combination that suffers from the problems stated in my above rant.

Not really bad, but it comes off on me as more of a lavender/patchouli lightly flavored with coffee and chocolate than the unabashed gourmand I was expecting.

I prefer Bond's New Haarlem to this, honestly, though I'm still not 100% convinced that NH is coffee-grail material.

The search continues...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Aimez Moi
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Dependent

Christian Dior Diorama

Blog Entries

Thank you all for the kind words (especially the new one I learned from Sunnyfunny-- "fargin" lol!). DH has been supportive as well. He tells me to try to move on from my anger and have some fun trying to score another good deal on a suit. I do love shopping for bargain! I did pick up a suit today at a sporting goods store-- a Speedo for $30 that normally retails for about $60. I checked again at the gym today, but the suit had not reappeared. It is as SMM and others have said-- the fact that someone felt they could help themselves to something obviously not theirs. I'm the only one who dries their suit in the sauna, afaik. It is seldom used at all; in fact, I recall seeing only one other person in there over the past 6 months that I've been a member. Oh well.

Jaspar~ I'm sorry to hear Lucky's story didn't quite make it. However, I hope that the awareness you've raised will help other unfortunate pooches.

3xasif~ *love* the Vent Vert ad! I suppose I really got to try that sometime!

Gentle hugs to those with aches and pains.

I'm wearing the three scents for this month's Blind Sniff. Yes, all three-- kumquat said we could! I don't know what all I'm wearing, but I smell marvelous!
    Last edited by Heartwood; 25th September 2009 at 07:46 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    ..while I'm trapped in my little padded cell screaming "That's not what chocolate smells like!!!"
    Sweety, I'm right there with you in the padded cell. I received Pure Coffee in a swap last week and I immediately quarantined it in my "to swap" folder after it attempted choking me to death with its plastic patchouli and chocolate. Both are notes that can ruin an acceptable scent for me entirely.
    Only two fumes that purportedly have chocolate as a note are ok with me: Coromandel and Borneo 1834. Tried those?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams