Code of Conduct

Smile A friendly request to my fellow reviewers...

Thanks to the - much appreciated, thank you Grant - return of the edit function, lots of reviews have been updated as time has passed.

But something one often runs across while searching reviews is a "review under revision" notice where a review used to be.

I'm not sure if I'm alone in this, but hear me out - I think I'd rather read a review you no longer agreed with than none at all, especially if there hasn't been a new review yet to replace it. Increasingly I notice these popping up here and there, and I hate to think of the review sections becoming depopulated due to changing tastes.

Curious to hear other Basenoters thoughts on this. I've often gone 180 degrees on a fragrance, but I've kept up most of my reviews until I had time to write a replacement...
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 24th September 2009 at 08:20 AM.

Default Re: A friendly request to my fellow reviewers...

Great point.

An outdated opinion is better than none at all for sure.

Also, First impression reviews IMHO gives me a "better" idea of what the frag would be like before trying it out or buying blind, since it is how everyone else except the wearer (in my case, A noob, the wearer too!) would perceive the scent as.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Dependent

My response to a similar thread http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=230619
    In essence, if I felt my review to be untrue to how I feel about a scent now, I thought it responsible on my part to have it removed or revised. Well the former is not possible on our end. I would gladly have those of mine which are under revision, to be deleted by the admin. I do this mainly for not wanting to sound contradictory or misleading.
    Last edited by MFJ; 24th September 2009 at 11:53 AM.

I leave mine up until I revise them. Usually when I look at my old reviews, I find that the individual note analysis still rings true, though sometimes my reaction to the whole shifts or occasionally changes.
    It is great to be able to do edits, I'm in favour of improving my reviews as I learn more.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    My response to a similar thread http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=230619
    In essence, if I felt my review to be untrue to how I feel about a scent now, I thought it responsible on my part to have it removed or revised. Well the former is not possible on our end. I would gladly have those of mine which are under revision, to be deleted by the admin. I do this mainly for not wanting to sound contradictory or misleading.
    I still do not understand the need to delete them immediately without a replacement. Do you feel as if you are lying? I'm just trying to understand.

I see absolutely no harm in leaving an old review public even if your feelings have changed. I do see harm in leaving a worthless waste of space behind in it's place.

I have a question tho:

how long does it take for a review to be approved? I sent mine but it is still not posted yet

I also leave mine up till I revise them.

Since people are "using their edits" whether they put something meaningful in or they put in ""review under revision", my recommendation would be to put an addendum at the end of the review, namely:

NOTE: the above does not reflect my current opinion; it will be revised.

I think that is more satisfying to me as a reader. Certainly I would make allowance if the review in question if the review was genuinely embarrasing to its author.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    I still do not understand the need to delete them immediately without a replacement. Do you feel as if you are lying? I'm just trying to understand.

I see absolutely no harm in leaving an old review public even if your feelings have changed. I do see harm in leaving a worthless waste of space behind in it's place.
    As you have said, it is mainly because my feelings have changed. Mostly I fear that if I were to suggest a fragrance to another person and he/she sees that I have given a negative review/rating, it may seem contradictory. Likewise if I were to suggest against a scent, but yet my standing review seems to have me so impressed by it. Not sure if sounding contradictory may seem like I am lying about liking or disliking something. Anyways I have avoided editing reviews to blank since the issue was brought up in the first link. My apologies, I am working on it.
    Last edited by MFJ; 24th September 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post

I think that is more satisfying to me as a reader. Certainly I would make allowance if the review in question if the review was genuinely embarrasing to its author.
    Yes, I think that is a much better solution. I didn't think of it. And yes also, many of my initial reviews are embarrassing to me.

also i see a lot of reviews that isnt justified and it was very clear that the reviewer only smelled it on a strip as he/she only described the top notes and start lambasting the perfume...why are those even approved in the first place? I mean, its kinda clear that the reviewer didint really test the perfume throughly.

oh hi matt, your MSN is off

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Cool Re: A friendly request to my fellow reviewers...

A valid point by GB. But I can understand how uncomfortable it may get when you find yourself in disagreement with what you've written earlier. I'm all for updates on past reviews to include the earlier review so we can get a better feel about how one learns to appreciate or even lose interest in certain scents. I know I'd probably cringe over some of my past reviews but I think I'd rather laugh about them instead. After all this is just a hobby.

And reviews come in many forms. Some zero in on the top notes to decide if a scent is worth exploring further. Others wait out till the dry down, and give it multiple wearings. Certain reviewers dissect their scents to the individual molecular note while others prefer to form impressions from the scent composition. Lets face it, confining the ways of looking at scents to a single path would just be downright boring, not to mention too narrowly focused to be of much use to the community. I'd vote for variety. We just need to be discerning about which reviews we should be focusing on and find those that fit our personal preferences.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 24th September 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I also leave mine up till I revise them.

Since people are "using their edits" whether they put something meaningful in or they put in ""review under revision", my recommendation would be to put an addendum at the end of the review, namely:

I agree totally with GB, and I think scentsitivity has a great point. I think it's fun to see how a person's view has changed over time, and exactly WHAT it was about the fragrance that caused the change in opinion. I find it useful for my own purchasing decisions, and it adds to the intellectual appeal of the reviews and subsequent discussions on the boards.

To tell you the truth, there are some reviewers whose reviews I really enjoy and look forward to reading, and when I see an "under revision" note on those reviewers' posts, it's a letdown.

Hillaire

I think the better option would be the right to totally DELETE a review we are no longer proud of. And leave nothing behind to alert readers of our past presence! I think it's our total right, actually.

As for me, evolution of opinion has nothing to do with my wanting to remove a review, but I do cringe at my usage and haste.

I keep my old reviews and note that it is my "newbie" review, when I edit. I wish others would also do this, but of course you can't force them, I guess. It really helps to see how frag perception changes over time.

I like that approach Bigsly. I've seen that Vibert often does that too, and it's nice. It goes to show how one's perception of the scent has changed over time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Off-Scenter

I'm an inveterate (compulsive?) editor of my own reviews, and even though I squirm at some of my older observations, I do leave my original reviews standing until I've completed the revisions. Knowing that the old review is out there is a kind of penance for me - it also motivates me to get on quickly with the revisions!