Code of Conduct
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Finding it harder to justify full bottle purchases now...

...all thanks to Basenotes.

I've been sampling like a mofo. As a light user I've been able to get at least 2 full wearings from each. As much as I adore certain scents, most of the time I find myself questioning the wisdom of making full bottle purchases, except for those heavily discounted sleeper hits. Given the rotation and size of wardrobe, and the suitability/wearability factor, I foresee each 3.4 oz or 4.2 oz bottle lasting beyond 5 years or remain unfinished. Is this reluctance to buy a full bottle somehow related to the search for a personal holy grail? Anyone else feel the same way? How do you decide on a full bottle purchase?

Default Re: Finding it harder to justify full bottle purchases now...

I completely agree.

Lately I have been purchasing decants or offering decants of full bottles of items in my wardrobe - off of Basenotes of course

20-30ml is plenty for me based on my rotation (most bottles I will not finish in my lifetime) and I have a relatively tiny collection compared to many Basenoters.

Decants are more economical and make much more sense in my case, however the lure of some full bottles still calls to me (I make most of my full or almost full bottle purchases on Basenotes).

The new decant swap policy on Basenotes will be a welcome addition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ...all thanks to Basenotes.

I've been sampling like a mofo. As a light user I've been able to get at least 2 full wearings from each. As much as I adore certain scents, most of the time I find myself questioning the wisdom of making full bottle purchases, except for those heavily discounted sleeper hits. Given the rotation and size of wardrobe, and the suitability/wearability factor, I foresee each 3.4 oz or 4.2 oz bottle lasting beyond 5 years or remain unfinished. Is this reluctance to buy a full bottle somehow related to the search for a personal holy grail? Anyone else feel the same way? How do you decide on a full bottle purchase?
    I feel the same way. I think its the knowledge that, no matter how much I like the scent that I purchase, I am GOING to find something in the same genre that I like better eventually, and thus be disappointed in the purchase.

Also, I have so many scents that I like and seem bottle worthy that I can't possible buy them all. I sit around think that someday I will come to a decision about which of my "wishlist" fragrances I will select to actually buy. But I never seem to decide, so I never seem to buy.

Oh the agony!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 24th September 2009 at 05:35 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree as well. I have to REALLY like it to buy a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you guys. I have culled my once 60 bottle collection down to around 20. I may add one or two, but I'll probably sell a few off as well. 20 seems to be a number that I'm comfy with. They're not neglected that way.

I will try my best to sample heavily before I do any more "impulse" buying. I have not respected my resources (money) properly. Blind buys can be very painful. Exciting, but often painful.

I'm starting to worry my decant/samples collection is getting out of hand, but at least they aren't full bottles!

I agree completely, but some folks just really like to collect bottles. It's a different angle on the hobby than mine, which is more about experience. I could care less if I own any bottle of anything or what they look like, or whatever. I love having a million samples and decants to choose from, so that's where I focus my energy.

Also, I find that I eventually, or pretty quickly in most cases, get bored with any fragrance. There are exceptions, but they are few. A 10ml decant is about right most times.

I am really looking forward to the decant swap board that Stugi announced this week.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I agree completely, but some folks just really like to collect bottles.
    I'd like to start a frag bottle collection myself. Hmmm...anyone selling their Tom Ford's Italian Cypress?

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I am really looking forward to the decant swap board that Stugi announced this week.
    Agreed. I think 10ml is just about the perfect size for me currently, for any fragrance other than something I'm really crazy about, and there are very few of those.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 24th September 2009 at 08:03 PM.